Stage 8 spoiler

Comments

• Cancellara trying to find something to help Schlek out now....the Astana-train right behind..
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Now it's just Andy! A boring stage just got exciting.
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Contador and Armstrong with him. Who else?
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    edited July 2009
    Donrhummy said:

"Againn, I'm impressed with Versus - when they hit the Col d'Agnes, they're going 30 minutes commercial free! Very cool."

which is a damn site more than ITV4 - in 20 minutes of programme there have been 2 advert breaks of over 4 minutes each.

Effing ridiculous.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    a schleck looks over shoulder to a swarm of astanas!. cvdv and wigg in there
  • donrhummy
    Don't give up Andy!
  • A good group now chasing - Evans, Sastre, Asteloza, Shlek, AC, LL, LA, Popovych

19 in total
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    WTF are Saxo playing at?
    Trying to put the yellow onto Bertie's shoulders, is the only reason I can think of, at this stage...
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • donrhummy
    WTF are Saxo playing at?
    Trying to put the yellow onto Bertie's shoulders, is the only reason I can think of, at this stage...

That's actually not that bad an idea. Forcing Astana to spend energy/time defending yellow. Bruyneel doesn't like having it this early and once Contador gets it, he won't want to give it up even to save energy.
  • donrhummy
    Man, I want Andy to pull back 15-20 seconds today. It would make it a race!
  • donrhummy
    This is the most exciting TDF in a LOOONG time. When was the last time we guys attacking on stages like stage 3, 7 and today? Usually these are boring stages where nothing happens and the yellow jersey team controls everything. Not this year.
  • donrhummy
    There is one other reason tto put Contador in yellow - it partly neutralizes Lance. He's less likely to attaack his own teammate in yellow.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    WTF are Saxo playing at?

Yeah - I reckon that could be their thinking. CSC in the pass have used a similar tactic. Granted, Silence-Lotto nothing in comparison to Astana, but CSC forced the pace last year in a stage to ensure Cadel stayed in yellow. Silence were trying to give it to an escapee.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    no matter how many attacks or who attacks on this last climb, it will still come back together for the finish... That in my book is boring... And tomorrows stage will be the same
    www.dotcycling.com
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Wiggins making a mistake with those black socks ^^
  • SpaceJunk
    Andy - its like Alpe D'Heuz again. He attacks, goes back to get the drinks and will fly back to the front.

Can't wait to see him in the Alps.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Andy - its like Alpe D'Heuz again. He attacks, goes back to get the drinks and will fly back to the front.

So is he doing this to show off a bit? Surely he isn't playing domestique for older brother.

Breakaway group should succeed today; just.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    emadden wrote:
    no matter how many attacks or who attacks on this last climb, it will still come back together for the finish... That in my book is boring... And tomorrows stage will be the same
    The lead group of four is approaching 3 mins now...
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Kléber wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    The lead group of four is approaching 3 mins now...

the break may make it. .. maybe... what I meant was the riders behind in the main group... Even if Andy or Cadel escaped the Astana grip over the top of the climb, none of them could stay away for the 40km to the finish..
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Trev36
    Trev36 Posts: 92
    edited July 2009
    donrhummy wrote:
    WTF are Saxo playing at?

That's actually not that bad an idea. Forcing Astana to spend energy/time defending yellow. Bruyneel doesn't like having it this early and once Contador gets it, he won't want to give it up even to save energy.
    Just think how much more affective it would have been if Saxo & Cancellara weren't having a cry over the break that Evans was in (the one Cancellara joined knowing Evans was already in it).
    If Cancellara worked in with the break and Evans it would have forced Astana to work much harder for longer on the front chasing, perhaps using up some of their pace setters and leaving only their key riders.
    Astana would have burnt up plenty of energy and made it even harder for them to respond to Schlecks attacks.
    They ballsed up a good opportunity to make Astana work harder than they did.
    I doubt they would have gained time but they would have worked them over a bit and as you say forced the Yellow onto their shoulders and the responsibility earlier than they want it.
    Saxo Dumb asses.

or is it just me that thinks Evans up the road was in Saxo's favour??
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    SpaceJunk wrote:

Agreed - bring on the Mountains - hope Andy's more selfish this year, and takes it to Bertie.
  • donrhummy
    Trev36 wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    WTF are Saxo playing at?

Just think how much more affective it would have been if Saxo & Cancellara weren't having a cry over the break that Evans was in (the one Cancellara joined knowing Evans was already in it).
    If Cancellara worked in with the break and Evans it would have forced Astana to work much harder for longer on the front chasing, perhaps using up some of their pace setters and leaving only their key riders.
    Astana would have burnt up plenty of energy and made it even harder for them to respond to Schlecks attacks.
    Dumb asses.

I'm not so sure because there's no way Evans was getting more than 20-30 seconds on the field either way and he's so far behind that i can't see him really making Astana panic like Schleck could.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Trev 36,
    At the risk of sounding as negative as some of the riders, they just wouldn't be able to put any time into Astana top boys today bacause of the long run in. Same applies tomorrow. They need to wait to Alps....
  • SpaceJunk
    Trev36 wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    WTF are Saxo playing at?

Dumb asses.

Sounds logical to me. Why not 'sacrifice' Fabian. Evans was willing to do the work; so CSC could've:

1. Got Astana to expend more energy than they wanted to. Sure, they wouldn't tire out LA / AC etc, but teams need to put some chinks in the Astana armor.
    2. By getting Cadel to be one of the hardest workers in the breakaway, that too could've tired him out too.
  • SpaceJunk
    Trev 36,
    At the risk of sounding as negative as some of the riders, they just wouldn't be able to put any time into Astana top boys today bacause of the long run in. Same applies tomorrow. They need to wait to Alps....

Yeah I agree with this; but they need to work over Zubelida, Popovych, etc and tire them out as much as possible before Alps. That said, they are quality riders themselves; and that wouldn't be an easy thing to do.
  • chriskempton
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Trev36 wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    WTF are Saxo playing at?

Dumb asses.

Sounds logical to me. Why not 'sacrifice' Fabian. Evans was willing to do the work; so CSC could've:

1. Got Astana to expend more energy than they wanted to. Sure, they wouldn't tire out LA / AC etc, but teams need to put some chinks in the Astana armor.
    2. By getting Cadel to be one of the hardest workers in the breakaway, that too could've tired him out too.

CSC??
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    emadden wrote:
    the break may make it. .. maybe... what I meant was the riders behind in the main group... Even if Andy or Cadel escaped the Astana grip over the top of the climb, none of them could stay away for the 40km to the finish..
    I think the idea was to dump Nocentini and put Contador in yellow. This would probably add more pressure on Astana, it would stop any help from Ag2r in chasing back moves and make a certain Texan rider quite jealous.
  • SpaceJunk
    At same time; should Silence spoken to CSC before stage, explain Cadel's objective??
    They may have been able to reason with them, rather than CSC having to make a decision on the spot, as to what to do.
  • chriskempton
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    At same time; should Silence spoken to CSC before stage, explain Cadel's objective??
    They may have been able to reason with them, rather than CSC having to make a decision on the spot, as to what to do.

Saxo Bank!!
  • SpaceJunk

CSC??

Sorry - you can't half tell I'm suffering from some serious sleep deprivation. I've had 33 hours sleep since the Tour started.

I'm an accountant by trade; so I'm working 12-14 hour days without even taking into account 1.30-2.00 am mornings.
    :?

(violins playing in the background).

Funny thing is I reckon I've been calling Saxo-Bank CSC all night!!!