Stage 4 - Team Time Trial SPOILER

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited July 2009 in Pro race
I thought I'd start a new thread so the race can be discussed under the SPOILER label.

It seems to me the stage is between three outfits: Astana, Columbia and Garmin.

It's an interesting event where you need good riders but efficiency counts, riding as a group really matters. I know it risks skewing the GC towards the big budget teams but then Garmin are hardly a big team.

Could this be Armstrong's stage win chance?

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    After two (comparatively) hard days do you think Columbia will still have the stomach/legs to put in a stage winning TTT?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Graeme_S wrote:
    After two (comparatively) hard days do you think Columbia will still have the stomach/legs to put in a stage winning TTT?

It's only 3 days into a 3 week tour. Somehow I don't think these guys are burned out quite yet. If anything, the last few days will have warmed their legs up nicely for today!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    yes because they get at least two of their riders in the top 5 maybe even a yellow jersey. Astana because of everything going on around them. garmin because they need to start to be seen
    M.Rushton
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    They only went eyeballs out for the last 30kms and got a bit of help from Skil and Popovych.
    A three quarter version of what we have today.
    Probably will do no harm at all, in fact, to the contrary.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    Very tough profile for the first half of the ttt. It will be even more vital to keep together for as long as possible. Lance's teams have always got their ttt strategy bang on, start fast, then get faster in second half.
    What are 'we' gonna think if Lance is in Yellow (again!!!) tonight?

Saxo Bank riders are definately tired. Looking at the chaos in yesterdays last 40km you could see most of them struggling. Only Cancellara and the two Shreks have not ridden themselves into the ground for two days on the trot. I'm sure Cancellara could tow most of the team round to a respectable time though?
    Course profile does not suit Columbia htc, so they could lose Grabsch on the climbs when they need him for the last half.
    Should be another good day.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Pokerface wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

It's only 3 days into a 3 week tour. Somehow I don't think these guys are burned out quite yet. If anything, the last few days will have warmed their legs up nicely for today!

Fair enough, I'm relatively new to following pro cycling and Columbia seemed to have done significantly more work than most of the other teams over the last couple of days. I defer to the knowledge of wiser heads! :)
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Pokerface wrote:

Oh grief, I do SO hope you're right. The thought of yellow going to LA is almost more than I can bear - my stomach is in knots. Knots that are getting tighter and tighter.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I defer to the knowledge of wiser heads! :)
    You'll have a tough job finding too many of those around here !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Kléber
    Apparently the course is very technical.
    That TTT course will exploit the tiniest hint of weakness in a disorganised team. The first two thirds are exceptionally technical... ...It's twisty, narrow and very hill. Would be hard enough as an individual TT but for teams it's a brute. And as it's short, no holding back.
    Says Lionel Birnie.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Also, contrary to what some have believed:

Saxo Bank aren't last down the ramp. That honour goes to Astana since they lead the teams competition.

I'm starting to think LA might end up in yellow by day's end.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    rockmount wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

Another useful comment there.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    They've started now. Interestingly if Columbia wins, that's three stages in a row for Cavendish.

Who will come last? Euskatel, Agritubel?
  • rockmount
    iainf72 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

Another useful comment there.
    Point proven !
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Lmao at Denis the menace
  • Kléber
    Zip it Rockmount :wink:

Menchov just crashed :shock:
  • takethehighroad
    Kléber wrote:
    They've started now. Interestingly if Columbia wins, that's three stages in a row for Cavendish.

Who will come last? Euskatel, Agritubel?

I think Skil
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    caisse already have sufferers. there could be mayhem today.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Kléber wrote:

Menchov just crashed :shock:

How did he win that TT in the Giro. It had like 600 turns in it. He's ok in a straight line. When it's dry. But otherwise...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rockmount
    Coriander wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Oh grief, I do SO hope you're right. The thought of yellow going to LA is almost more than I can bear - my stomach is in knots. Knots that are getting tighter and tighter.
    Calm down there, he's already got a girlfriend. :wink:
  • blazing_saddles
    Ballan, same spot....
  • Kléber
    Guess which teams didn't recce the route?

Note that the start is from the centre of Montpellier, the Place.. de la Comedie.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    rockmount wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Calm down there, he's already got a girlfriend. :wink:

You think I want LA to win??????? It's a good thing you're somewhere in cyberspace, young man, otherwise you'd be sporting a black eye. It's a long time since I've been that insulted! :wink:
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    lol when menchov went down it reminded me of when rassmusen had that shocking time trial
    cartoon.jpg
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    LOL @ Badger Bend :lol:

Katusha two riders down already.
  • Kléber
    Katusha going like a rocket.... a North Korean rocket. I hope Vlad Putin isn't watching.
  • blazing_saddles
    3 down now. Caisse kept it together pretty well.
  • Kléber
    All gone Pierre Tong for Bouygues. Comedy crash into the field as three of them wipe out into the field, plus Arashiro who has the skills to go for a ride through the field. :lol:
  • blazing_saddles
    Nightmare on Montpellier Street! :shock:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Holy crap, BOUYGUES CARNAGE! :shock:

4 riders all crashed individually... very reminiscent of the Kessler and Canada mega crash from a few years ago.

ASO is gonna take some stick over this route.
  • takethehighroad
    afx237vi wrote:
    ASO is gonna take some stick over this route.

I wonder from who in particular?