Very overweight - where can i start?

Comments

• HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 205
    Obviously moving in the wrong direction. My eating habits have been poor for the last fortnight, I have made very little efort to do the right thing, I have had terrible sleep.
    I hope you are all doing better than I have been, and I will be back Monday with some more positive news.
    To be completely honest I too have put weight on recently and it is very annoying as i hoped that i would have hit my goal weight by august 29th and short of amputating a limb it is not going to happen.
    The temperature does not help as it is too hot to do any real exercise - i nearly keeled over on the bike on sunday it was so hot- and who wants to eat properly when it is warm.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    DAVE:
    Hold on to old copies of WMB. Pull them out when you don't feel like cycling. Re-read some of the articles or read the ones you skimped over previously. Also read your previous postings. Inspiration is guaranteed. Remember you (and me!) didn't get fat in two months. It took years. It'll take years to get it back off and to find fitness again. But every long journey starts with the first step ... or the first turn of a 26inch wheel. Good luck pal. We're all in this together.
  • Stxsas
    Stxsas Posts: 25
    Hi Dave, it is really good that you seem to have most things in place to become a very competent cyclist and healthier person.
    You have some good life style changes geared towards making your body and mind much healthier. A few of the most important ones are Drink plenty of "bottled water" and plenty of sleep.
    These are good moves on your end, but what about how much water to drink or when to go to bed?
    I am too still a bit overweight but over the last year I have seen some great changes happen to me, both to my body and my thinking.
    What helped me was a book called "How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy" by Paul Chek. It opened my eyes to a world that was hidden before i read the book.
    It explains to you what is the food you put in your mouth and what effect it can have on you.
    I recommend this book to anyone, because apart from the life style changes that you uniquely follow to you, it also makes you feel much more alive and awake inside.

I hope to follow your progress as you continue to become a better person. Just remember that resting is also an important part of becoming fitter and healthier. Resting not only repairs your body and mind, but also energises you again, so that you may continue in your efforts.

Good Luck Dave!
    山地车 - Fury 07
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Hi all. Sry for not posting last Monday, was upset with lack of progress and very unmotivated. Nothing much is different this week to be honest but I need to refocus on the task in hand so I'm back. Weigh in day again and I am 21st 8.75lb which is an increase of a quarter of a pound for this week (had put on 2lbs last week). Obviously moving in the wrong direction. My eating habits have been poor for the last fortnight, I have made very little efort to do the right thing, I have had terrible sleep (mix of internet poker, weather -waaaay too hot and sticky to get comfy, and kids). And I have not cycled once. It's been over 2 weeks now since I last cycled and I think this has been part of the problem. I have been very quick to find excuses not to ride and to be honest I have no idea why as I love it so much. Very odd. The good news is that I am still ahead of my original and ongoing target for weight loss of 2lb per week. My aims for this week are almost back to basics, in that I have to give priority to eating healthily, sleeping well, drinking lots of water, and of course lots of cycling. The only difference between now and when I started, being that I am lighter and will go straight for the longer distance to ride. I hope you are all doing better than I have been, and I will be back Monday with some more positive news.

I too have put more weight on :cry: But I am starting to get my head round that issue, so hopefully I can start losing again.

Motivation is a tricky one I find, I was sat there last night and unsure as to whether to go out for a ride or not. In the end it was a case of F*** it I'm going. Really enjoyed it as well.
    Sometimes it just best to get on and go, and dont think too much.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • lost-time
    lost-time Posts: 549
    Remember Davepiggot and ratty2k that the scales do hide the truth sometimes! As you get healthier and fitter you should notice looseness in your clothes. I did. But on the scales sometimes there was no difference even after a few weeks. I put this down to toning up and muscle being heavier thant fat.

I am steadily losing 2-4lbs a month but my main diffenece is my legs are looking very toned from all the cycling and my waist is smaller yet i still have a belly and love handles...oh well.
  • ratty2k
    Belly and love handles I can still relate to! :oops:
    I think its been a bit of a mental thing for me, gave up smoking and started eating a load of crap again. Crisps, choclate etc..... But I seem to have got my head staright again for that and am now back on a sensible food regime (NOT diet) :D
    May take a while for it to show but, gotta keep going.
    On a big plus tho' just bought 2 pairs of Endura singletrack shorts and fit XL now!
    Thats waife like for me! :lol:
    My Pics !

• lost-time
    lost-time Posts: 549
    The other thing to remember is fitness... A couple of hills now on the way to work are soooo much easier than before.

I have a couple of pairs of XL shorts and they are starting to be a little baggier...seems very slow though. I too tend to crave crisps and the odd Boost bar but at least I know i'll be on the bike a few hours later...
  • Stxsas
    Try to stick to Complex Sugar foods and not the simple sugar ones. Simple sugar can fuel your body very quickly but it also wears out quicker, making you feel low. This in turn makes you look for your next hit of simple sugar like chocolate and causes a yo yo effect in your energy.
    What you need to look for is a level constant stream of energy. So eat more complex sugar foods like Bananas.
    I hate to say it but once you are down to your ideal weight, you are going to kick yourselves for not doing it far far sooner. :P
    山地车 - Fury 07
  • ratty2k
    Stxsas wrote:
    you are going to kick yourselves for not doing it far far sooner. :P

You are not kidding! Lost so much weight and plateaued (sp?) and eventually put a bit more on...... But as a rule I'm SSSOOOOO much healthier than I was its untrue! :shock: :oops:
    My Pics !

• simkna
    simkna Posts: 26
    edited August 2007
    Phew!! Just got through reading this thread. Now to add to the rambling...
    First, a little introduction... I'm male, aged 37, weigh 15.5st (99Kg) and am 5'11".
    I already eat quite healthily, but probably excessively - at least compared to my exercise levels. As an IT manager, I have a deskbound job, and apart from mowing the lawns occasionally, do next to b*gger all.
    I have put on half a stone since spending the first 4 months of this year in an out of hospital with kidney trouble. I have decided that enough is enough, and I need to lose some weight and improve my fitness. Due to the amount of scaffolding in my right leg, running is out, and I don't do water, so that takes care of swimming. Last weekend I bought a MTB (Marin Nail Trail for anybody that's interested).
    Have only been out on a couple of short runs of a couple of miles or so up to now - to check the bikes O.K., and see how I go, but I am enjoying it already.
    Reading this thread has certainly given me inspiration, It's great to hear all the encouraging stories from other folk in the same boat as myself. If anybody ever needed a support group, here it is.
    Diet wise, I already eat lots of fruit, oily fish, eggs and red meat. Since my kidney surgeon told me I should be drinking 3 litres of water a day, I am drinking well (probably still drink way too much coffee, though). Trouble is, you can spend half the day in the loo as a result. I admit to the odd doughnut when it's somebody's birthday at work.
    My intention is to commute to work as often as possible - it's 5-6 miles each way. Will have to see what happens when the dark nights and weather draw in.
    I was going to call into the supermarket on the way home from work tonight, but after reading this thread, I am going to drive home, and cycle there instead. I will try not to buy any pies.
    Congratulations to all on all you've acheived thus far, I look forward to also updating you all with my successes and acheivements over the coming weeks and months.

Si.
  • Stxsas
    Glad to hear Si, hope that the recover keeps going well. I have to say that i cannot recommend this BOOK too much because it did give me the knowledge to start to change into the person i wanted to be from the inside out.

I and more await for and update from Dave :P
    山地车 - Fury 07
  • ratty2k
    simkna wrote:
    Phew!! Just got through reading this thread. Now to add to the rambling...
    First, a little introduction... I'm male, aged 37, weigh 15.5st (99Kg) and am 5'11".
    I already eat quite healthily, but probably excessively -
    Last weekend I bought a MTB (Marin Nail Trail for anybody that's interested).
    Have only been out on a couple of short runs of a couple of miles or so up to now - to check the bikes O.K., and see how I go, but I am enjoying it already.

My intention is to commute to work as often as possible - it's 5-6 miles each way. Will have to see what happens when the dark nights and weather draw in.
    I was going to call into the supermarket on the way home from work tonight, but after reading this thread, I am going to drive home, and cycle there instead.

Si.
    Well, you have the same commute distance as me, at the moment I'm 17st and just shy of 6ft. I dont know too much about Marin bikes, but it looks like a decent bike to me, as long as you enjoy it tho- thats all that matters in the end. The only issue you may suffer is a bit of cable stretch- but its easily sorted.
    There are some good lights available for little money- certainly good enough for a commute. Smart make some decent enough lights without costing a fortune, as do Cateye.
    A good set of overtrousers and jacket will get you thro' the worst of the weather- the rest is down to you.
    My Pics !

• hsa
    hsa Posts: 220
    Seems like most of us are having a bit of a lazy period. I am guilty of that, also. My riding buddy has slipped a disc and will be out of action for awhile, so I've felt a little less motivated...can't use that as an excuse though, I need to get off my arse. Haven't been out on the bike for about 2 weeks now but I'm still careful about what I eat and I am swimming every week with my son. Though I am drinking more beer and not losing any weight. Footy season is about to start and I know I will be drinking more when it does, I just like drinking ale and watching football, dammit!

Half day Friday. Got a 20 mile local trail planned out. So back to it (ish).

Incidentally last night after swimming I saw a load of kids doing track work/althletics at the center and asked my son (Scott, who is 11) if he'd like to get involved after he pointed out some friends of his were taking part. His reply "No, I don't want to because I get fit by swimming and mountain biking with my dad". Ahh I could have burst!

Nice to see some new posters here. Good luck all of you!
  • simkna
    simkna Posts: 26
    After not having the time to actually go out and ride last night after fitting a new seatpost and two new tyres I've just been out tonight and done 14 miles. Didn't expect to go so far TBH, it was just my third time on a bike in nearly 10 years after all. Did feel my calves start to tighten at one point, so stopped for a drink and a stretch. Feel pretty good.

Let's hope I can keep it up.

Si.
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 203
    What an inspirational thread. It’s really great to see cycling having such a positive impact. Don’t get down on a bad week we all have them.

I’ve not been able to get out at all this week due to work but the weekend is nearly here so that will all change, rain or shine.

Keep up the good work.
    '08 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    '04 Allez Sport

When we wake up in the morning, we have two simple choices. Go back to sleep and dream, or RIDE.

The choice is yours...
  • ratty2k
    Well the weekends knackered again- spend far too many working. But on a +'ve note just been round Penmachno trail tonight, that places is brilliant. If it only had a center or something at the start. Still no news about the second loop- bar its nearly complete and watch this space.....
    Will prob go in on the bike tomorrow- bit of a loosener after tonights ride.
    My Pics !

• hsa
    hsa Posts: 220
    I've got the Bunkhouse booked in Betws-y-Coed on Fri 31st August to do Penmachno for the first time. Staying Fri and Sat night so will do a couple of trails up there at CyB or Gwydyr Forest.

Also went out yesterday as planned. Left my hydro pack at work so I chose a shorter route (no water, no pump!) but still had a nice tough couple of hours riding. Going out again tomorrow so it would seem that I am getting back on track!
  • ratty2k
    You'll enjoy Penmachno! A real natural feel to the singletrack, and the crossing over the moor top where the trees have been felled is fantastic- it a long traverse accross the mountainside and you have to work quite hard. But its such a great piece of trail!
    I should of stopped and took some pics last night, but didn't and I'm sorry now :(
    After that it just gets better and better! Tight (very) switchbacks, drops and fantastic views make it one of my fave trails. Hopefully the 2nd loop will open soon and extend the joy!!!!!!!
    My Pics !

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Just keep going & think long term. Try to fit exercise into your daily life and make it as convenient and especially as fun as possible. Do other sports too - get some variety in your exercise. Good luck.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    10,001 views!

What's the latest Dave???
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Ringside
    Ringside Posts: 26
    Hello all,

I don't want to hijack the thread but I just made my first post a few mins ago elsewhere on this forum then realized it may have been better suited here. I'll paste it in anyway below.

- - - - -

Hello all,

This is my first post so let me introduce myself. I found the old forum via google when I was looking for something to prevent punctures and thus ended up here!

As a kid and into my early 20's I've always been big and a mountain bike rider but a few years ago for whatever reason it died off and I gained more weight.

In February I started a diet and Ive stuck to it since then. I currently weigh 22 stones after an already significant weight loss and I'm ready to get back into mountain biking.

I dusted off my bike that had barely been used and was sitting in the garage and I'm quite happy to stick with it. It's nothing fancy but I found it to be reliable before I stopped riding.

My problem is I've always hated fixing punctures. When I get one I tend to put it off and put it off until finally repairing it. I've been looking for some kind of puncture proof kit and I found this: http://hancox.co.uk/biketyres.html

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm only really looking to replace the back tyre because that was always the thorn in my side before! Very rarely did I have a problem with the front.

I'm worried also because of my weight. I don't want to get one of these and find it squashing down under my frame!

Well I'll leave it there. Thanks for reading. I was initially worried about posting such a topic but by the looks of the old board there are quite a few larger riders around.

Thanks all!

- Ringside
  • ratty2k
    I personally would go for slime filled tubes if you are that concerned about punctures. I havent had many of them TBH, what pressure are you runniong the tyres at? It may be that they are just too low a pressure.
    Most people will carry a spare tube or two, swap that when you do get a puncture and just fix the old tube when you get home.
    I can remember years ago running a similar type of tyre- and absolutely hating it. No grip, heavy and generally poor. Things may of moved on since then, but i'd stick to decent tyres and slime- you can also get slime liners- these fit between the tube and the tyre and give an extra, tough barrier to try and stop the old thorns getting in!
    My Pics !

• dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    DAVE!!!!!!!

Don't stop now, you've done the hardest bit. Every now and again I lapse, normally if I've had some time off work then I find it hard to start again.

It was my kid's that motivated me - not being able to play football with them!!!!!

Keep posting and keep at it.
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • The thread seems to have slowed down a bit but hopefully it's only temporary! Hope to see everyone who thought they were past it or beyond help (like me!) still going at it.

My good wife (not the bad one) and myself took off at 9.30 this morning and did a nice 12 mile ride taking in the local canals, roads, markets and Halfords to laugh at the price of some of their bike accessories! Most enjoyable and I didn't want to stop.

We're thinking of planning a trip to a town a little further out, maybe a 15 - 20 mile ride out, just gotta plot a route avoiding motorways.

Cheers all!
  • I'm still going strong, though the weight loss has been a little slower than I'd have liked (-15 or so lbs since end of May). Lots of mechanical problems recently, but I did over 150 miles last month, and am shooting for a 35 mile group ride in a couple of weeks.

In a nutshell, finding a sport I love has been a critical part of a major lifestyle change, and I'm sure it's going to stick and lead to bigger and better things (and a smaller and smaller me!)

I poked Dave - he's still around, but needs to write his own response here!! :)
    Embrace uncertainty.
  • Oh.. one more thing. Moderators - This thread has 2 pages at the end that have no posts, and clicking the link in the forum update notification email takes you to those pages! It really makes this thread hard to follow, and if they can be removed, it would make it much easier!

TY! :)
    Embrace uncertainty.
  • Hi everyone. Long time no post! Sorry for the absence; I had a few weeks of no cycling at all and my eating wasn't very good either so I thought it a little cheeky to post on the fitness and training part of a cycling site! Thank you for the ongoing poking Becky!

The break seems to have done me the world of good as I am back now, fully focused and raring to go again. And very glad I am too.

My last post was on 6th August, and I was 21st 8.75lb. Since then my weight on the Monday weigh ins has been 21st 10.25lb, 22st .25lb, 21st7.5lb (first week back on healthy eating but still no cycling), then this week 21st 5.5lb. This is my second week back on the plan proper and I also rode twice (a little over 10 miles each time).

The first ride after such a long break really hurt! My bum was sore before I'd even gotten round the first bend, my legs, back and wrists aching before the first mile was up. Am soooo glad I remembered how quick these pains go away as it helped me get through it. It took a little longer to get home than it used to but then I was taking it easy to get back into it again. The second ride was far easier on my body, though still not entirely pain free. I did the first one Friday and the second Sunday so I plan to keep the every other day thing going until I feel I am ready to doing it every night.

Oh, and Sunday, it was REALLY raining very hard! Anyone who has been here since the start of my challenge will understand the relevance of that! BTW I actually quite enjoyed riding in the rain, just a shame that all my work stuff got soaked - when finances allow it will have to look into some waterproof gear. Until then I guess it all gets wrapped in carrier bags.

Anyway, I am back again, and stronger, fitter and more focused than ever. I am sorry to have been away for so long. Glad to see you are all doing very well too and a big hello to all the new posters since my last post.

I wish you all the best in whatever challenges you are facing, and I'll see you again Monday.

Dave
    - Each new day is a gift, that\'s why it's called the present -
  • Good to see you still at it Dave.

My latest weigh in (last night) I was 21st.12 so I'm a little heavier than you but not much and so I fully understand the situation. I start biking again 2 or 3 weeks ago and even now I still have a very very slight dull ache in my backside haha. It's getting easier by the day though and I now have the trip home from work down from 25 to 15 minutes.

Very satisfying.

Cheers all!
  • I have to just say how great this thread is... I've spent the last week or so dipping in and out of it... better than a novel... it's great to see such enthusiasm... and whilst I'm not exactly in the same league as the ones trying to lose weight, i can empathise as I know I'm a reasonably fit guy who's got the potential to be quite large...

I'm scared sh1tle55 of losing the will to ride and thus spiral into the lethagic lifestyle that effected my father who I've seen throughout my life battle with his weight he's hit 24st before now so I know how much you guys have to acheive...

I have the same build as him, and appetite so I know I'm quite capable of hitting high teens in terms of stonage... but fortunatly I've kept the right side of 13 stone for the majority of my early 30's... I peaked at 13.5 when had to stop running and was out of action on the bike after busting my knee... but now have it back under control again at 12.5

It is all about diet, exercise and will power.

Here's to you all... keep it up!
    get on your bikes and ride!
  • Aux1
    Aux1 Posts: 865
    Just to say that I'm following this thread regularly as well, keep going! 8)