Very overweight - where can i start?

Comments

• woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    WMB: How about a feature in the mag on this subject? If it's so popular here (not one word of dissent) it would work in print. Plus you have all the email addresses to enquire about quotes and pics. It could run over 12 months with monthly updates and reader profiles. Free copy, no copyright issues and self-generating subject matter. Not time sensitive either. Or could make a good Christmas supplement - in time for New Year's resolutions when there's little enough riding out there and the trails are quiet. And a whole new load of advertising potential outwith cycling. Just a thought.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1296598/
  • Monday is here again, weigh in day. Hope that drum roll is still going. I came in at 22st 6.25lbs, which is a weekly loss of 4.25lbs, a total loss of 12.75lb over the 3 weeks and for the statisticians an average loss of 4.25lbs each week. I am very pleased with the results so far - my target was an average loss of 2lb a week so i am well ahead of that at the moment. I can't wait for next Monday. I haven't ridden as much as i would have liked this week, only had 3 rides. This was partly due to the shifts i have been on - when i finish work i had to jump straight on my train home or i'd have to wait an hour for the next one. Didn't have time to grab my bike and biking gear. The other reason was the weather, I really don't fancy a ride in the rain. I'm not convinced my attitude to rain is gonna change, but i need to make an effort to plan ahead and swap shifts so that i do have time to grab my bike and stuff. I am very glad to report that nothing has broken on my bike this week - the guys in Halfords must think i have gone away on holiday! I am going to carry on doing exactly what i have been doing for the last three weeks as it is most definitely working well. I've never felt so fit.
    Sparetyre - i know what you mean about station outlets. They are open 24/7 and it is so quick and easy to grab something. In the past it has been my biggest downfall, but now i'm not even tempted. In fact, i now look at people eating the rubbish they have bought and feel sorry for them. They are simply me years ago. I hope they realise what they are doing before they weigh in at 24stone. I totally agree with your comment about not particularly caring about your weight, but your size. I am not working toward a goal weight as such, but a goal 'feeling'(i will know i have hit it when i do). The only reason i check my weight weekly is that it's a good indication of whether it is working well. When i weigh the same over a few weeks i will know it's time to change my plans a little.
    Beebs - Your point about not needing a siesta since you started exercising is excellent. I have also found that i am more alert (not a bad thing for a train driver) and more awake then ever. I am also sleeping much better than before. I have drunk more water in the last three weeks than ever in my life - the only downside as a train driver of course is the constant need for the loo!
    Johnnymunro - Your method of weighing the benefit of a quick fix snack against the damage it will do to your progress and time it will take to burn off is very clever. It also allows you to have the occasional 'treat' without any guilt which i think can be a good idea for some. And the success of something like this is all down to PMA i agree. I have dieted on and off for over 15 years with no success at all. But looking back, each time i think i knew it wouldn't last. This time is different, it is forever. It is about frame of mind for sure. It was the same with smoking; I 'tried' giving up knowing it wouldn't work more times than i care to remember over more than 15 years, then xmas eve 2005 i decided i wasn't gonna smoke from the next day. And i haven't. If only it was possible to find out the difference each time, and bottle it up.
    adamskib - well done on your progress. 32" waist? I haven't one of those in over 18 years! You have done remarkably well, and i always like to hear that moobs have vanished. I reckon it's gonna be my biggest problem. Was your doctor right by the way with regard your depression? I guess so. It's funny that you bemoan having 4 suits that are too big under your bed, and i am trying to make my 3 suits too big. Stick them on eBay, then put the money toward another bit of kit or something. Keep up the good work.
    Jintle - I bet you enjoy your camembert supper more than you used to. For years i have been eating 'treat' or 'luxury' foods daily, to the point where you just get bored with them and accept them as the norm. Now i am eating healthily, i know that when i allow myself a treat or luxury it will taste better than ever. If you fancy a kebab you could always have a chicken kebab. I remember from my weight watcher days that it is actually quite healthy comparably to other dinners. Chuck as much salad on it as you like and don't have chips of course.
    Merlin - I am glad this thread has inspired you to improve your health. And what better goal to aim for than your own wedding? I wish you the best of luck. Please keep in touch and post back with your success.
    Woody - good idea. With so many people involved and taking part there will always be a success story or achievement to be written about, and between us we could write an entire book with healthy living tips. I also think it would have a considerate knock on effect, with others joining us on the journey. The only downside i can think of is that the people who would most benefit from our stories aren't likely to be those who buy the magazine. Over to you WMB.
    That's it for now. Already looking forward to Monday. If anyone is reading this and thinking about returning to cycling after a long break then please do it. You will not regret it. You will have setbacks along the way (biggest one being a sore bum i would guess) but persevere and you will see near-instant improvements being made to every aspect of your life. If you are already on the road to fitness then i hope you are enjoying it as much as i am, and wish you all the best in achieving your
    goals. As they say, I'll be back ..

- If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space -
    - Each new day is a gift, that\'s why it's called the present -
  • Dave what a great story, and your doing a superb job loosing the weight.
    I've had my own little battle since Feb this year, I was 15 stone,
    ok its not the end of the world but i'm only 5ft 8.
    I had been for a blood pressure test at the doctors and it showed 150/99 which basically means I was on my way to a heart attack.
    And the doctor wanted me to start medication.
    I also have 2 kids like you, steven aged 4.5 and charlie aged 1 year.
    My father passed away from a heart attack aged 39.
    So boy was this a big wake up call (i'm 38)
    I did cycle to work already but it was only a 4 mile round trip and 99p donuts for a pack of ten kept appearing at work and i'd always have 1 or 2. I have a desk job, so don't burn off anything.
    what I did, so go for it, big time....MAJOR PANIC..
    I had a heart to heart...(NO PUN INTENDED) with the misses and even my oldest son hmm
    didn't tell the oldest boy the whole story, but that did needed to loose his tummy...my boy said...
    "i don't want you to loose your tummy daddy as its comfy when I watch my 20mins of telly before bed"
    ha ha ha that was enough motivation in itself ha ha ha.
    I even bought some decent running shoes, and started to take the scenic routes home from work, and before the evening meal would go for a walk/run and now just a run.
    I also quit caffine and just have de-caff coffee...yuk...and boy did I have a thumping 2 day headache from going "cold turkey" with the caffine.
    I was a real coffee junkie as charlie didn't sleep through the night until he turned 12 months old...so was knocking back 3-4 cups before 9am!!!
    now sat here, i have a bottle of water, office draw filled with apples and allow myself the odd flap jack.
    I have dropped to 12.5 stone. still have a tummy...buts its not so "comfy" anymore.
    and at my last blood pressure test the results where 141/90 which although high is ok, and the doctor said he won't put me on blood pressure tablets, which he wanted to do in Feb.
    by not having to start tablets it means I don't have to think about all the side effects that they would give me, for example tiredness.
    and increasing my car insurance premium and life insurance etc etc.
    keep up the good work Dave, and all the others who have been inspired my him.
    I have just signed up for the Blenihem 10k run for cancer research in Sept. and we sold our 2nd car so it means come what may I have to cycle to work rain/snow and even sun...
    Paul
    near Bicester Oxfordshire.
    GT Avalanche 3.0 disk.
  • My heart goes out to you Dave.
    Well done mate, keep it up.

I'm 6"3ish and I used to weigh in at 20 stone, give or take.
    Now i'm 13.5 ish.

It's well worth the effort, time and sweat.
    I feel 100 times better, look 100 times better, ride 100 times better and hump 1000 times better!! [:D] (If you asked my missis she'd back me up!)

I've been at this weight for a couple of years now, steady and healthy.
    When you get down to your target weight dont sit back and think its all done. Its very easy to fall into that trap and before you know it, its all going back on and the extra air pressure is going into your shock!
    Its a life style change as well as the way you perseive yourself, food and excercise. Like the old saying goes, 'A dog is for life not just Christmas',
    obviously this not being about a dog (before some smart ass takes that one up!)

All i'm preaching on about is dont let it go when you have done all the hard work.
    Look in the mirror and say "Thats me that is" and smile.

KP
    Custom Trance
    PUSHED
    Flickr
    <center>
    KP
    -Custom Trance-
    -PUSHED-
    -Flickr-
    -My Lady\'s Custom FSR XC-
    -Dirty Mongrel!-
    FaceBook
    </center>
  • muddymart
    muddymart Posts: 20
    there are some amazing people here with great stamina and determination,
    Well three weeks ago i was typing on this very pc and i turned round to my partner and commented on how lazy and bone idle ive been getting,ive never liked going to the gym with all them matcho body building men, though im not that small myself, i weigh in about 15stone,its the stomach thats my problem,but i do like swimming but with all the idiots that go to local pools you cant even do 2 lengths.

So i browsed ebay and got me a bike for œ20,its a cheapie to start off with, me been me i thought id use it once and that would be it, but hey ive been on it nearly every day,
    i dont feel miserable and tired anymore,
    i feel i've more energy, and now ive joined this brilliant forum i feel like i can chat to people who probably are just like me !! (really?)
    everything i do is bike,bikes,and bikes,i got my 2 eldest sons a bike each and my partner ,and my youngest child a trailer, and weve been having really good fun.
    all this exercise and a new diet, im hoping to loose all the weight ive gained..
  • HI MUDDYMART.
    good for you. I tried swimming for a while, and when you found a time that wasn't being used by schools or clubs you had a 1hr time slot, and it was full of teenagers talking about boys/girls standing around in the middle of the pool and getting in the way when you where there for a workout,
    Like you i didn't go to a gym even though i'd thought about it for ages, but in the end went there with my wife (then girlfriend) for dutch courage (wimp hu) found it really nice, not full of 6ft 5" blonde haired monster guys and size 0 women, there where all shapes and sizes. but when we moved house and got hitched, kids came along and all the money went by bys, I started cycling and running.
    we often take the 4.5 year old to the large park 1.8 miles away he rides his bike and i jog next to him.
    I can relate to what you mean about sitting in front of a pc, thats my day job...8hrs with a 30mins walk to town, sat in front of a pc,
  • muddymart
    Hi paul, like you i was thinking of the gym for quite some time,as mountain biking can be fun and you can choose where you want to go,the gym idea seems like a bit of a routine if you know what im talking about.plus fitness first near us is quite expensive,for œ35+ per month i could spend that elsewere.

could i ask a couple of questions for you guys,

do you keep off the fatty foods and have you binned them?

what sort of diet are you keeping to?
  • just speaking for myself,
    I have tried to avoid the donuts,and rubbish, yep every now and again we'll have a chinese take away or visit the chippy, but it will be a treat, not the norm.
    we aim to have veg with every meal and stopped eating the processed food. which is generally high in fat and salt.
    the little gym I went to was run by a lady who said....
    "if you excercise once a week you might as well not bother, if you raise your heart rate 4+ times a week for 20mins or more you'll get physical change"
    that quote is about 7 years old, and rings true.
    Summer is by far the bext time to try and get fit, its keeping going through the winter that becomes a challenge, but if you've got a routine of cycling every other day, and walking etc the other days you don't want to sit on your bum in the evening and watch big brother or some other drivel on telly....as you said it makes you feel awake and alive after a walk/cycle. and even when you get soaked mid ride, its a talking point at work/home later..ha ha[:D]
  • maddra22
    maddra22 Posts: 5
    Hi new to bikes and pretty crappy with computers so it's taken me a while to get round to posting, although I have been following this thread very closely.
    I also realise this is a mountain bike forum and didn't want to turn it into Slimming World but everybody seems so open and supportive I thought I would give it a whirl.
    I came across this when I googled "overweight bicycle" as you can imagine I got some strange hits. I was searching for help and this is where I found it.
    I hesitate to put my personal information on the Internet but hope it may help someone else as much as Dave and everyone here has helped me.
    To all you 6ft tall blokes moaning about your weight think about this I am a 5ft 2 and in January this year weighed in at 27 stone.[:0]
    Lets not get into the why and the how I just was.
    Time to do something about it.
    Despite my weight I love walking with my dogs so decided to up my game and built up to walking 5-6 miles 2 or 3 times a week. Combined with a healthy diet things were going great and by the beginning of May I had lost just over 3 stone but then I developed plantar something or other(can't spell it) in my foot. Apparently inflammation and tearing of the tendon under my heel and every step is agony with 23 and a half stones pounding down.
    So decision time, if I stopped exercising I knew I would put the weight back and more besides. Definitely not ready for swimming, someone suggested an exercise bike, how brain numbingly boring, but it set me off thinking "what about a proper bike?" Surely not at 20+ stones. Which brings me round to my Google search and how I ended up here about a month ago.
    Now down to the actual bike bit I did a lot of reading up(stalling) and decided I couldn't face the embarrassment of going into a bike shop, so thought I would order off the Internet, after several phone calls I went to Halfords to look at a bike in the flesh, thinking I could pretend to be buying it as a gift for somebody else. Two young lads were manning the bike department and despite all expectations they were very knowledgeable incredibly helpful and not in the least bit scornful.
    I had liked the look of the Carrera Subway and they assured me it was a decent bike for the money, ideal for the type of cycling I wanted to do and wouldn't collapse under my weight.
    I picked my bike up last week-end and went out with a friend to Clumber Park on Monday for my first bike ride in over 20 years.
    I wobbled 2 yards across the car park and fell off at the side of my car. I picked myself up, picked my bike up, kicked my so called friend who was rolling around on the floor laughing and set off again.
    I rode all the way around the lake which is about 4 1/2 miles and absolutely LOVED it [:D]. I was a bit stiff the following day but compared to the pain I have been having in my foot it was nothing.
    I have been out for 2 more short rides and can't wait for the weekend to try somewhere else.
    So if you are dithering and wondering whether to try it bite the bullet and just do it.

Big girls can bike! I'm the living proof.

"All you need is ignorance and confidence, then success is sure."
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence, then success is sure."
  • Maddra

Congratulations on your weight loss prior to finding the world of biking, i am sure that if you stick with it you will continue to have as great a success on two wheels, and without the pain by the sounds of it. I am sure your dogs wont mind chasing you on the bike instead of walking lol

I think you like so many of us have found the inspiration from this thread to get out there and do it.

So keep up the good work and continue to post your progress as im sure everyone will take inspiration from your story.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by muddymart</i>

could i ask a couple of questions for you guys,

do you keep off the fatty foods and have you binned them?

what sort of diet are you keeping to?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    <font size="2">Binned them[?] God no!

Its all about moderation.
    Your body needs fats to work, so dont cut them out.
    Eat good fats, nuts, fish, olives/olive oil to name a few. Try to keep bad fatty foods down but dont cut them out, whats the point of living if you cant have some of what you enjoy!?
    If you scoff a load of chips and lovely cakes in a session, go for a ride a few hours later and burn em off, then go for a pint!</font id="size2">

KP
    Custom Trance
    PUSHED
    Flickr
    <center>
    KP
    -Custom Trance-
    -PUSHED-
    -Flickr-
    -Dirty Mongrel!-
    FaceBook
    </center>
  • muddymart
    Well done Maddra [:)][:)]
    i only was only browsing through this forum for tips and advice, then i decided to join as it looks a good forum and people are friendly and they have good advice to give.
    Well as you probably read in one of my posts,i m nearly touching 16 st and fed up watching tv and so on after work, so after my last fish and chips session the other night i went in to the kitchen and binned all the crap. left the crisps and biccies though for the kids, i think its all down to will power,been having plenty of fruit and fresh veg and instead of drinking tea like i do , i have changed to water, and i feel like ive more energy already.
  • sorionuk1
    sorionuk1 Posts: 30
    So glad I found this thread...

I joined this forum a while back, whilst more active. Then simply put I got lazy. No longer could I do the 30 miles off road etc, plus cycling to work (5 miles each way) each day, come rain or shine. Gained weight, up from 16st to 18.5st currently.

My job, data entry, 8 hours of sitting at a pc. Eating more junk food than I care to even think about.

My expensive bike, I sold, made reasons in my head.

Now I am feeling miserable, FAT!, tired all the time, rubbish sleep. Everything generally has started to suffer.

SO TIME TO FIX IT ALL!!! - Thanks to this thread, cheers dave!

Got my old el cheapo bike from shed and dam i am out of shape.

80 meters down the road, out of breath, and the most frustrating thing? wanting to cycle longer but your body saying no chance!

Today I intend to turn my life back around, get on the bike and just pedal, get back to where I was previously. This time I know I can do it :)
  • Hi all, it's weekly update time! I weighed in this morning at 22st2lb, which is a weekly loss of 4.25lbs again and a total loss of 17lbs since i started this just 4 weeks ago. I'm very happy with the results so far, and am looking forward to next Monday already.

Some big news on the cycling front too - I rode my whole journey home which is 9.7 miles start to finish (sittingbourne train station to my house in Sheerness for those who know the area). I have done it twice now and it takes 40 mins. I would have done it more but for even more problems with the bike (the rear wheel spokes keep loosening giving me a wobble as i go along - have ordered a new rear wheel and it should have arrived Thursday but now not coming til Monday GRRRRR.) and also due to the horrible weather. Wimbledon fortnight is here, which as we all know means more rain, but hopefully there'll be some dry patches in between. I'm taking my bike into the shop today so the wheel can be replaced and it's also due it's 6 week service so I'll get that done while it's in there. Then I'll have a clean slate as it were when i get it back and can have confidence that it won't play up on me on my trips home. Can't wait to get back on it.

Paul the Commuter - What a great story, congratulations on your success. It is incredible how years of sitting around at work eating the occasional donut (or not so occasional in my case!) seem to creep up on you all at once. Looks like you made a positive difference just in time health-wise. Perhaps you should invest in a cushion for your son to lay on? lol. I'm sure you'll agree it is amazing how quickly results of a healthy lifestyle are noticed (and not just in weight loss either). You're a braver man than I for committing yourself to an all-weather cycle!

Jamieayres - At the rate you are putting miles in it won't be long before even your smallest tops fit you nicely. I've already found that my work tops are getting very loose on me and some of my out-of-work tops are already too big and can never be worn again. Even some of my colleagues have mentioned my weight loss (and train drivers aren't normally of the ilk to do that!). As for the moobs, we seem to share the same problem. Perhaps we should start a 'moobwatch' to note our success in this department? lol

Koldphuzion - 6.5 stones loss? Wow, that is fabulous. Well done. I agree with everything you said about the improvements to your life as i have already noticed them in myself and i have lost considerably less than you so far. I also agree about keeping it off once i've reached my goal, and there's no way i'm gonna let myself become unhealthy again (in the same way that after almost 18 months as a non-smoker there's no way I's start smoking again). I have made all the changes in my life that i needed to, i'm just waiting for my body to catch up with my frame of mind! I'm a healthy fit guy temporarily trapped in a fat guy's body! BTW How long did it take to lose that weight?

Muddymart - It would seem you and I have caught the same bug as i can relate to everything you said. If i had been lighter when i started this i would have done exactly the same and gone for a cheapie form eBay to start me off. I was so worried about snapping it in half i went for the strongest i could find (which set me back lots of œœœ). As much as it's great to see the all-singing all-dancing all-terrain attack bikes on this site that people have bought it's actually just about riding. And any bike will do. I have also done the same as you and got the whole family involved. After all, we each have a vested interest in each of our health's. Keep up the good work and your belly will be gone in no time.

Maddra - Glad you found us, welcome. I loved reading your post, as it echoed everything i have gone through too. We both have a real challenge ahead of us, but with real rewards as we go along. It seems your foot problem was a blessing in disguise as if it hadn't happened you would not have gotten into cycling! I am the same with my loss of driving licence - if it had gone the other way and i'd have kept it i would never have started cycling. Funny how these things happen. Seems like fate is 'nudging' us in the right direction where we have been wrong all these years! I am in no rush to get my licence back now.Please keep up posted with your successes (and failures too) along the way as we each have something to teach each other. I would say you've already done the hard bit and it's a matter of keeping up the good work now.

Fozzybear - Thank you for keeping things in check. Don't want somebody ruining the 'feeling' of this thread as it is here to help and inspire all who want it to.

SorionUK1 - You have done well to realise your problems and react to them so quickly. Wish i had woken up to my health problems earlier and not let myself get into the state i was in before i started cycling and healthy eating. The fact you were shattered after 80 yards i think is great, as you will never forget that. And you can focus on that memory to aid your progress back to fitness. You will be where you want to be in no time at all.

Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement and your own stories. If anybody else has been reading this and hasnt yet decided to start or restart cycling or post here then please share your story with us. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dave

- Each new day is a gift. That's why it's called the present -
  • hsa
    hsa Posts: 220
    What a great thread this is.

Towards the end of last year I had a similar feeling in that I felt unfit and lazy and decided to buy myself a mountain bike.

A bit about me: 37 years old 6' 4" and was pushing 18st. 2 kids (Gemma 17 and Scott 11) and a partner used to seeing me sit around watching football on the telly and pretty much doing nothing other than occasionally pottering about in the garden when the grass got too long. I'm fairly cautious about what I eat and have been for some years. Inactivity and beer were the two evils contributing to my ever-increasing weight.

A friend in work has been a keen mountain biker for 5-6 years and around last September I started picking his brain about his hobby and mentioned that I was thinking of taking it up. He told me 'Great. Buy a bike and we'll go out.' So I did.

We mostly cycle off road at either trail centers or around the Brecon Beacons on more natural trails. In fairness to him he's been very patient with me and waited giving me encouragement when I was gasping for breath after every 50 yards of climbing.

So 7 months later I am a million squillion times fitter, 2 stone lighter (16st and still dropping), so much happier in my outlook, my mind, my life. My son rides with me every Sunday, which is the most awesome thing out of all of it. I am teaching him what I know and he is loving it. Now my partner is curious and wants in after months of 'There's no way you'll get me out there on one of them things.' We are saving to buy her a bike and are looking forward to getting her muddy too.

Isn't it great when you clothes start hanging off you? When once you couldn't find anything to fit because everything is too small/tight? Such a good feeling of smugness!

This forum has been invaluable to me for all kinds of questions that I have had along the way and even helped me choose my final bike, which I am sooo happy with.

Dave, Paul, Maddra and all you others, great inspiring stories that I have been reading since the start. Keep it up and keep us up to date with your progress.

Ash
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Having read thro' (most) of this thread, (bit long to read it all at work!) Going to have to try harder and you lot have motivated me.

I got to be over 20st, not sure how far over as the scales only went to 20st. And decided not to be fat and forty, too embarrased to go to the gym, I bought a home rowing machine. This and eating healthier lost me around 3st, took up cycling purely as away of getting fit with a ride to work.
    I had an old Raliegh MTB sat at my parents, and went out on that... Absolutely crippled me. Bought a better bike, and was much happier, having now got a decent bike I wondered where to ride off road. This led me to Coed Llandegla, and I hadn't had so much fun in years!!! During my now reular(ish) rides off road and commuting I've lost another stone.
    I have also been off the ciggies now for 3 months, and have put a little weight back on.... but a couple of pound in fat is much better than cancer!
    Hence reading this thread and getting off my arse and doing a bit more to get the loss going again. Keep up the good work guys (and girls)

My Pics Updated!
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fozzybear</i>

Be respectful.. read the rules in the FAQ..
    BTW not aimed at KF.. the previous posts which now have been removed.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<font size="2">Ya did get me worried Fozz![8D]</font id="size2">

KP
    Custom Trance
    PUSHED
    Flickr
    <center>
    KP
    -Custom Trance-
    -PUSHED-
    -Flickr-
    -Dirty Mongrel!-
    FaceBook
    </center>
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    WMB's gotta use some of this thread for a feature - or two. Other magazines are desperate for this level of interactivity. No need for made-up letters with ambiguous sign-offs.

Tell 'em Fozzy.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1296598/
  • muddymart
    woody, im sure nothing is made up on here, im feeling healthier day by day, would like to see this in one of the mags on the shelf,
  • Hey guys , keep the inspiration up!
    Just thought I would let you know,I did the Leeds 10k charity run on sunday. Nearly killed me, but I completed it. As many of you will know, we had a spot of rain in yorkshire, so I wimped out of riding to work on monday as I thought i may dissolve, but I read this thread on tuesday and got straight back on the bike!

I reckon this thread is not just about "mountain biking changed my life" but how people can to a great degree alter their circumstances rather than just claiming to be a victim.
    The beatings, horsewhippings and torture will continue until performance improves to an acceptable level. This may take some time.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I've been sort of following this thread on and off and just want to say well done to everyone who's recently started riding and is feeling the benefits. I only started at Christmas (due to depression, not for weight loss) but again it's had a great effect. I'm back at work for the first time in 7 months, in a new job and have found ways to spend stupid amounts of money that I could never have dreamed of a year ago, so my wallet has lost a lot of weight. It's always nice to hear that cycling is changing people's lives for the better, and it's the sort of thing I'm seeing a lot of now that I work in a bike shop. Basically, keep up the hard work guys, you're doing great

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guilliano/
  • This is a great thread there has been a lot of courage demonstrated in this thread.

I am 19stone 8 and 6'4" tall (aged 45). I have been as heavy as 21 stone. I hav etried jus tabout everything to lose weight...but then i had some 'emotional issues' and gave up on just about everything. I los tmy job, was admitted to hospital with depressive illness and was diagnosed with ME and had a serious case of muscle wastage as a result. The medication (which i still take) hasn't really helped in my opinion...but as soon as I reduce the dose things go wrong again...so i suppose it's working a bit...anyway....earlier this year after 4 years of this mess I finally got up, walked out to the garage and tried to ride my old MTB. I got to th eend of the drive and gave up.

Next day I got to the bus stop...then the park....then the spokes broke under me....so I fixed them and they broke again, so....

I raided some savings and bought myself a daws galxy tourer because it is designed to carry serious weight....also I needed to get away...and something in me said touring is one way to get away and get fitter...so i told the world I was going away touring and now there is no way out....and I dont want a way out...I hav enot felt this good in 5 years.

Pedal by pedal, hill by hill things are getting better & I am not going to stop...ever.

I rode 70km the day before yesterday, 40km today in the pouring rain and against a strong headwind...life is getting better. I hav ejus tbought myself some panniers and I am going to take a ride around Norfolk...on my own flying the fat flag high :lol:

If I were my psycologist I would diagnose bicycle purchase instead of endless pills...or at least as well as.
    Gravity sucks
  • col24
    col24 Posts: 21
    Iv been reading this thread and im very impressed by what iv read,its motivating me to get my bike out which hasnt been out that much lately,and get pedalling again,iv had some succes with my wieght loss due to my diet,but i havnt got active yet,this thread is motivating me to get more active,thanks for the inspiration guys. :D

col
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    Hopefully this topic will continue to be an inspiration to all and doesn't get lost in the move.

I myself have ben comutting for about 5 weeks now and am feeling a lot healthier. I haven't weighed myself yet.. but have been working with a HRM. I am recovering quicker and not sweating as much. I don't feel as out of breath.

I am now going to start concentrating on my diet and looking at some alternate (longer) routes home.

KEEP UP THE GOD WORK EVERYONE.
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • Welcome to our new home everyone, I hope we all made the journey unscathed.

I know it's still not Monday (counting down the hours though) but i'd thought I'd add my two-pennethworth again.

hsa- I think you have twisted my arm enough, I will be planning a riding/camping trip to the Brecons this Summer (do the Brecons have a Summer? lol)

Cazzdevil- Swapping chocolate/sweets/biccies for healthier options will definitely help you lose some weight. I don't want to sound like I'm nagging (or do I?) but you really ought to allow time for breakfast in the morning. it makes such a difference, and will keep hunger at bay (thank you Shreddies advert for the phrase). I was always the same as you and would rather have the extra 30 minutes sleep than have breakfast. I was wrong, what else can I say? Now I go to bed half hour earlier, so still get enough sleep, and not only that but i don't get the opportunity to snack in the evening so much. Give it a try for just a week, I really think it would help.

caw35slr- Davewatch? lol Love the idea of it (having the entire readership of a popular magazine watching progress would help you stick to your plans!), but we need a new name. Sounds too much like Crimewatch, and luckily I'm not on that much either! Bad weather riding presents me with a few problems, though I agree that if my situation was different I would already be doing it. Somebody my size is unable to find any cycling clothes which fit (and PLEASE point me in the right direction if i'm wrong), although I could probably find something else to do a similar job. The reason I havent is that I always ride home in my work uniform- trousers, combat boots, polo shirt. The only difference is I substitute my work 'anorak' for a lighter jacket and of course add a helmet, gloves, etc. I have nowhere to get changed, and nowhere to store clothes, so changing into the proper gear isn't really an option. I considered throwing some waterproof trousers on but not only am I worried I would get way too hot and uncortable, it wouldnt stop my boots, bag (with work stuff in) or jacket getting a soaking- and i would need it all the following day so dont really want it wet. If i was desperate to lose weight quickly, or if I was only planning on doing this for the short-term, then I would have no choice but ge out in the rain. But my life has now changed forever, and I will always be eating healthily, and always commuting by bike (when dry of course lol), so though it's very frustrating to not be able to ride I know it is only a matter of time and I will be back in the seat. I also agree with your (and others') comments on the scenic route. My route at the moment was dictated to me as it is the shortest to get me home (9.7 miles, it's definitely enough for me at the moment), When I am fitter and want more, there are hundreds of variations and extensions I can take and I will do them all at some point.

ratty2k- Well done for quitting the fags. You will put on a bit of extra weight, so don't worry. Better than being a smoker! And you can cycle to get the weight back off afterward. I have quit now for 18 months. Until a couple of months ago I considered myself an ex-smoker, but now I am just another non-smoker. It was when this feeling within changed that I started my healthy eating plan and cycling. Keep us posted with your progress.

BnD- Welcome to the thread. It seems we are in a very similar boat (although mine floats lower than yours!). I hope you enjoy the cycling as much as I have been, and please post back with your progress.

Rykard- I think you have the right idea. As previously discussed, most of us don't rely on weight readings to be the only guide to progress. A HRM will be far more accurate with regard your cardio-vascular health and fitness. The fact you are recovering quicker and not so out of breath proves it's doing you some good. In that respect, your weight is almost irrelevant. Nice one, and hope you find a diet which suits you and some fun alternative routes.

Col24- I hope the weather doesnt put you off riding, as I have found out even a little bit of riding not only directly helps with weight loss and fitness but also helps you to stick to a diet. Good luck.

Bigtallfatbloke- Nice name! Wish i had thought of that. Since this thread started, posts have been made saying I'm a hero and a legend for what I'm doing, but to be honest it is people like you who really are. My situation is what it is by my own doing. I chose many years ago to eat too much of the wrong thing and not exercise. So it isnt much of a surprise that I ended up so fat and unfit. Your situation is very different. It has been forced on you. It sickens me to think I have allowed myself to get this way when people such as yourself are put into far worse situations by things which are out of your control. You, and others like you, are the heroes on topics like this. You are the true inspiration. And i wish you all the best of luck for the future, not that i think for one second you're gonna need it. You'd better make the most of flying the fat flag because you won't have it for long!

Sylphie74- Nice one for transferring all those posts over. We are all together again! This board is an important part of my success so far, so I am glad it has survived.
  • Sidey
    Sidey Posts: 183
    Hi Dave just popped in to see if you had survived the changeover and to see how everyone is. I have followed your progress from day one and was one of my first stops when I logged on to Wmtb. glad to see you're o.k. :D
  • hsa
    hsa Posts: 220
    Dave that is great! It is always summer in Wales, you know! Have a look here http://www.mtbbreconbeacons.co.uk/ there are details of some of the graded routes (worth getting the map pack). Have fun!

I am off to http://tinyurl.com/2jzhf3 today for a spin around the mountains.
  • rkay87
    rkay87 Posts: 3
    I used to ride all the time, my bike was stolen earlier this year so had to resort to the gym. Then the unimaginal happened, i did in my knee! Currently waiting on 2 maybe 3 operations to sort it :? I have now gotten a new bike, second hand kone stuff 05 model, i feel out of depth having not been keeping up with biking for so long. Starting off like Dave with just riding shorter distances to see if my leg holds up. Then need to progress on to jumping and trails again once the leg has gained a metal plate and the ligaments have been repaired.lol. Good luck Dave, glad to hear your getting on fine dispite the problems at first, inspired me to get out again more even though i knew i needed to this has kicked me up the backside to actually do something.

Keep riding its the best feeling in the world when it goes right!
  • mad_monk
    mad_monk Posts: 1
    Wow this is the thread I've needed since last winter..

I'm 38 and more stones than i care to work out ... next one up from obese on the BMI thing
    I have two kids and run a business in front of a PC at home.

3 years ago i got back on bike... had lots of fun... ran faster than i could walk and ended up with an ACL injury.....

I'd been losing weight and getting fitter up to that point... anyway took a good year and half to get that fixed and missed the bike so bad that when i could get back on it i was out every day... over that summer i got fitter and lost the worse of the largish gut... Then came winter .... cold wet , dark ( did most of my riding is in the local woods of an evening) , no one to ride with... And i let it go ...... I've spent from then till now allowing work, the weather , sorting out the kids/dog etc to be an excuse for not getting the bike out....

Last week a doctor told me in no uncertain terms that i needed to lose weight , stop smoking and get more exercise (i don't drink alcohol much so they let that one ride :-))) and i can avoid the heart issues that have affected the males in my family..

Reading this thread has been inspirational.... I'm not the only fatty :) wanting to ride and lose weight.... and there are others who find it just as hard...

I've just gone and got the kids cycle helmets out of the cupboard.. They and me are cycling to school tomorrow :)
    Thanks all for the kick up the backside :)
  • Hi all. It's weigh-in day again. My weight this morning is 21st 10.5lb. That's a weekly loss of 3.75lb, and a total loss of 22.5lb in the six weeks this has been going. I am of course, very pleased. I have had another rubbish week insofar as cycling is concerned, as I yet again haven't been in the saddle. Half the week the bike was in Halfords, and since getting it back it has been far too wet. I actually had the first opportunity last night to ride home but my knee had been playing up all day (that's a new ailment to me!) so i didn't risk making it worse. I have woken up this morning, and it seems ok touch wood, so fingers crossed I'll be back in the saddle after work this evening.

Sidey- Thanks for popping in as it were, I'm not sure everyone has made it across to this new site but fingers crossed they will catch up. Will be a shame to lose the 'feeling' we had. I'm hoping that with the merger of so many great bike sites this thread will become even better.

hsa- Thanks for the link, I have shared it with the wife and we will definitely be adding the beacons to our holiday destination list.

rkay87- Wow, I'm sorry to hear of your unfortunate circumstances. My dad has had knee problems all his life but there's nothing they can do for him so I guess you need to be grateful they can operate to fix it. Cycling is bound to help (I could be a doctor lol), and so long as you don't make it worse than it is at least you can do something. And you are right when you say that riding is the best feeling in the world. I hope things work out for you, and sooner rather than later, please keep us posted on you progress.

mad_monk- Welcome to the thread. You seem to be in a similar place to me with regard your health. I am already a non-smoker (na-na-na-na-na!) so am ahead of you in that respect, but I would imagine I am far more overweight than you as I am almost off the page with regard BMI calculations! The real similarity between us is that we have both had the epiphany that we need to change our lives, in order to keep them. There's no feeling better is there? I personally feel terrible that I allowed myself to get into this state in the first place, but then I am also extremely pleased that I have changed my mindset in order to get fitter and lighter. I guess you will be taking things at a slower pace this time round, to prevent any injuries like you have had in the past. I hope things go better for you this time round, with no spanners in the works for you to deal with. I have had many spanners, but I treat each of them as if they are the 'old me' trying to get me back to my old ways, and there's no way I'm gonna let that happen! Keep up your efforts, and you'll be where you want to be in no time at all.