Very overweight - where can i start?

Comments

• lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    OK just a quick question for all you who have serious amounts of weight to shift.

I am female 5'6" and weigh 18 stone (this does not bother me a lot) I have been cycling for about 2 years every weekend and when I can fit it in inbetween, but although my shape is changing its not all for the good. Jeans are now baggy round hips and rear end which is good but my stomach is growing. I used to a fairly flat stomach and it is really annoying none of my clothes fit. I need to lose weight not move it around my body!!

Any ideas?
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • maddra22
    maddra22 Posts: 5
    Hi only just caught up, was wondering what was happening.
    Weighed the same at Fridays weigh-in, I have been at this now for 6 months and it happens sometimes, as long as I don't gain I am happy.
    I really look forward to reading your posts Dave you fit so much in, to type that much would take me all week and then I would never get any cycling done.
    I totally agree with what you said about not being able to buy wet weather gear, these are the things that "normal" sized people don't think about. Imagine being 5ft 2 and 23 stone I have a job buying anything that fits.
    I have been out 3 times this week despite the weather and I love it more every time.
    My last time out was Sunday when I had a little bike v dog incident, but it was actually my own dog so not complaining. He set off after a rabbit and to avoid hitting him I had to whip the handlebars to the side and jam on my brakes, at the point where I became airborne I had a fleeting thought of the massive vet bill I had just dodged.
    I am told my dismount was impressive, incorporating a spectacular twisting roll - the landing though left something to be desired.
    I have been soaked to the skin, covered in mud (and blood) and spent way to much money on bike related items. I feel like a proper biker. :D

Even personal injury hasn't put me off.

Oh dear I think I might be hooked!!!
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence, then success is sure."
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Glad to see this thread still going!! As some of you are aware, a lot of people have decamped over to http://mountainbiking.freeforums.org/index.php

If thats been modded out its htt [url=p://mountainbiking.f]p://mountainbiking.f[/url] reeforums.org/index. php (take out a couple or 3 spaces!)

I'm still in the same boat, after packing in the ciggies, food tastes sooooooooo much better that I'm eating too much. :oops: But I will get back on track and start loosing again, looking forward to this week,as the weathers improved a lot ! I have a bit of a gruler? coming on the week of the 23rd July, 22nd is a forum ride round Coed Llandegla and on the 23rd Igoing to the lakes for a days riding followed by a trip to Coed Y Brenin on the 27th! Will be seriously glad for packing in by the following day !!!

Glad to see people still posting, I'll be using both forums equally, got to give this place a bit more chance yet?!!

Unbelievable!! Modded out a web link to a forum that has no affiliation to anything except some close links with people! oh dear!
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • mattrm
    mattrm Posts: 10
    This is a great thread. Glad to see that some people have made it over from the old forums. I hope this thread survives this whole mess.

Quite sad to see the mods deleting links to other forums however.
  • ukcraigb
    ukcraigb Posts: 113
    Hi Dave,
    Regarding the knee, this can often be caused by poor saddle positioning - if it is too high it can cause you knee trouble as your extending your leg too far on the down stroke.
    Just a thought, may be worth checking....
  • Weigh-in day is here again. I had the BEST weigh-in since I started all this, I lost 0.25 pounds! OK, so it doesn't sound much but I was expecting to put ON this week so I was VERY VERY happy. First, the positives from my week, I have cycled much more than ever before. I have done the route home 3 times, increasing the 3rd one as I diverted via a village instead of taking the usual direct route just for a change. I also had one other small ride of about 2 miles so I am somewhere around 32/33 miles for the week. Very pleased with that (previous high was about 17 miles for the week). Now for the negatives - my eating habits have been very poor this week. I have eating badly for a number of reasons some of which were of my own doing and some out of control. I take heart that I have still eaten better than I used to by a long way, but not up to my new high standards. Also, I havent slept enough this week. For 3 of the last 4 nights, I have only had about 4 hours sleep per night. This has all been my own fault (online poker and live poker the cause each time). From today, I am going to get back to my healthy eating properly and also have more respect for my rule on sleeping for long enough (see an earlier post for my 'rules' of engagement in the battle of the bulge lol). My total weight loss is now 22.75lbs over 7 weeks which is a weekly average of 3.25lbs. Very pleased, and can't wait til next Monday.

LoveWales- Hi. I am no expert on the anatomy of a lady (just ask my wife lol), but I would guess cycling affects you in the same way as it does me, which is to say that the muscles in your legs, bum, arms, and lower abs will get toned nicely over time. Weight loss around your body will be partly down to how many miles you're putting in and partly down to your diet (both food and drink). What is your diet like? I hope you can work out what needs to be changed and lose the weight where you want to. Keep us posted.

Maddra22- Hi again. You seem to have your head in the right place and know that sustained weight loss over time will sometimes mean you don't lose weight during a week. Becky, are you reading this? lol. You are definitely a proper biker with your all-weather riding and now branching off into stunt riding! Well done for avoiding your dog. I love the 'it was actually my own dog so not complaining', reminded me of an Inspector Clouseau sketch. Will be giggling all day now! Keep up the good work, I look forward to your next post.

Ratty2K- I'm glad you're hanging around to give this site a chance, perhaps you can get some of the others back that we have lost? I know what you mean about food tasting better after packing the fags in. Quitting the ciggies is definitely the best thing a person can do for themselves. When I quit I was told I would put on weight due to the chemicals in my body re-balancing themselves, so I saw it as an excuse to eat as much as I wanted. I don't mind though, as I got through the harder times of quitting successfully and I can sort myself out food-wise now. I was also told not to consider dieting while I was quitting, as there was a massive probability that I would fail in both. You've got cycling though of course, which I never had when i gave the fags up. I think you know in your head or heart whether you will last as a non-smoker forever or not; In all my previous attempts to give up, I knew deep down that I would smoke again one day. Have fun on the 22nd, 23rd and 27th! I don't think you would last the three days as a smoker!

MattRM- Glad you like the thread, and I think you're right in both your points. This thread will definitely survive, even if I end up dragging it along by myself lol. I don't understand why mods would delete links to other forums either, it seems very smallminded and very insular. Is it a rule or an overkeen moderator? Perhaps I'll find some time to read the rules eh?

UKCraigB- Thanks for the knee advice. Not sure it is saddle positioning causing this problem, as it started at a time i hadnt ridden for the best part of two weeks. I think it is having to carry my bulk around for so long which has caused it and hope that weight loss and increased fitness will cure it. Work doesnt help, as I have to sit all day (I'm a train driver), and my legs are quitre long so don't fit comfortably in the driving cab. My knees havent really hurt this week at all so touch wood that the problem wont recur. If it does I will see my GP for advice.

As the film line very famously goes, "I'll be back..."
    - Each new day is a gift, that\'s why it's called the present -
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Dave - you're obviously not going to get concerned about a 'mediocre' week, which I think is absolutely the right thing to do - just get back on with the original plan (which I'm sure you will do).

For my own sins - I too lost 1/4 lb this week and am happy with that rate of progress. Lost a couple of days riding down to the weather (it was torrential, again) and an interview away from home was another day I didn't get out.

That's now 13 lbs in 13 weeks for me - and I've managed to stay under 15 st for a couple of weeks now :)

Also, on the plus side - my new lights turned up. Don't need them yet, but wanted to be ready for when it starts getting dark before I can get out in the evening. Cycle lights have come on a long way since I last had any - probably 30 years ago! The battery for the front weighs a bit, but then I just keep thinking in terms of how much extra I was carrying around 3 months ago - much more than one battery.

I've now got 2 weeks before we go away (family holiday) when I'll probably put 7 lbs back on in the week. Not that bothered though - I'd have done that anyway. Mrs didn't sound overly happy when I suggested the bike could go on the roof, so looks like I'll be having a week off.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • ratty2k
    This threads acting up a bit? On page 10, click for next page and its not there?

Oh well!!

Dave, thanks for the reply! I'm really looking forward to these coming rides! Quitting the ciggies has helped sooooo much, I'm having trouble believing the difference,still not a fast climber, but definately quicker than I was!

Gonna star a food diary at the end of the month with a view to shocking myself into a diet- I thinkI just need to cut out the crap really! But I have to get back on target- the big thing for me was as I said not to be fat and forty. So Im still well on target for that- 37 1/2 at the moment. So2 1/2 years to lose 2 /12 stone, not over concerned about the blip at the moment..... Have come to the descision that I basically have to ride to work, unless its extream weather- I have the winter boots, waterproofs etc- and am even going to fit a mudguardseek3.gif which I hate, but this summer are proving to be a mustsad-smiley-068.gif

Good to see people still frequenting (hmmm), maybe just using this place is a better description? :? Best of luck/willpower to everyone!! :D
    My Pics !

• HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 205
    ratty2k wrote:
    This threads acting up a bit? On page 10, click for next page and its not there?
    Yup I do the same ad get the same fault- possibly justthe teething problems.
    I hope to lose a couple of stone over this year, an so far have managed jut over a stone (about 17lbs) so I have started to go out on the bike.
    My dad has been quite inspirational to me though, he is obese and has been for over 10 years to such a stage where he has (had) sleep apnea. He managed to get a referral to out local Hospital, and was goven a mask to help him breath when asleep, and now he is cycling to work every day- no mean feat as he is 63 and currently works in Kuwait City! Talk about extreme cycling/sauna rolled into one!
    Dave you must give us a before and during shot when you reach 20st (possibly next week based on your current progress :D
    Congratulations to every one who is cycling themselves fit!
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    HJ1976 wrote:
    now he is cycling to work every day- no mean feat as he is 63 and currently works in Kuwait City!

Jeeezus

You live near Middlesbrough and your dad commutes to Kuwait City. That is some mean commute!! I thought I had it bad living in Newcastle and commuting to Middlesbrough!

:wink::wink::lol::lol::wink::wink:
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • HJ1976
    Well the weight should be dropping off him, though this job is slightly closer to home than his last in Doha, Qatar!
    Besides surely riding through a war zone would be much more preferable to riding through Boro!
  • tuxpoo
    tuxpoo Posts: 138
    Well! After reading this thread, I now no longer feel the only person in the world that isnt a wippet on MTBs.

Im just turning 41 and realized 3 years ago i needed to change things when i was over 18st (6'2"). I started swimming and lost a bit, but after my fittness nearly ruined a snowboard holiday. So a friend pushed me to get back on bikes.
    Beginning of last summer I could hardly do 2 miles round my village, but persevered.
    I live near swinley forest and started to spend more time up there over the summer. Gradually with no diet change the pounds came off and my riding improved. By the end of the summer I was starting to do longer rides 30M+ . Still killed me. My buddy came out with me often, pushing me hard to keep up. He never seemed to get flustered or our of breath. I aspired to his fittness.

Winter came and big lights got purchased. Two nights a week I still rode for a couple of hours. Dark, wet and cold. Weekend runs became mudfests, but pounds still came off.

New Year came and two snowboard holidays done with ease. :)
    3 days after second holiday, disaster. Fell at swinley and broke my shoulder blade.
    Thank god it wasnt two weeks earlier.
    Was told it would take 6 months to recover:( But two weeks later started my little loop round village again.)
    Doctors can exagerate sometimes.. 4 weeks later Im back doing my usual runs.

2 months ago I decided nows the time to start cycling to work. Round trip 25M :shock:
    I was suprised how easy it was and am now doing 3 - 4 times a week, rain or shine.

Im now down to under 15st and last weekend went out with my buddy again.
    After leading HIM most of the run, I started to notice him, well not quite struggling, but certainly pushed.

Now I take out work friends and have to wait or slow down for them, some over 10 years younger.

Im starting to look closer at my diet and fitness. I really want to get as fit as I can for my age. I love the long rides, and plan to go futher afield (wales, alps) .
    IM planning a longer snowboard holiday for feb 2008.

I feel 100% better in the space of 2 years.

tux
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Tuxpoo - that's exactly the sort of achievements (whether it's the fitness side &/or weight loss side) a lot of us here are aspiring to :)
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • <<EDITED WHEN I REALISED THAT THIS WASN'T A NEW POST AND IN FACT HAS GONE ON FOR PAGE AFTER PAGE AFTER PAGE>>>>>

This is going to sound really obvious, but the main thing is to just keep it going. Don't worry about the fact that you get out of breath, or how far you go, or what you look like. just do it. NO EXCUSES.

Been there myself. Not 22 stone admittedly, but pushing 18 anyway. Now down to 15 and feeling MUCH better.

My advice to you would be :

1) Keep your head in the right place, everything else depends on it.
    2) Try to aim for 20-30 minutes minimum each session to begin with, even if you do it in fits and starts and walking part of the way. it's great that you can do the journey in half the time, but now is the time to extend. Gradually work up over a period of months to an hour or so four times a week. You should treat it as your exercise period, not just getting to work. Treat it mentally as you would a spell in the gym.
    3) Don't neglect your warm up and warm down, do your stretching. An injury now could seriously set you back.
    4) Don't forget that muscle adds weight. You WILL lose weight if you exercise and watch what you eat, but also concentrate on how much better you feel and the positive health effects on your body eg being able to blast your local trails.
    5) remember cycling is extremely efficient. this means you need to keep pushing it to get the most out of it as a form of exercise / weight loss. Get a bike computer so you can benchmark your times.
    6) Give it time. The changes will be gradual to begin with. Other people will probably notice before you do.

Finally, don't forget there is a downside too. None of my trousers fit any more.

Good luck and drop me a line from time to time if you need encouragement.

Marv.
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • ratty2k
    Yep, couldn't agree more! I'm noticing a big improvement in my fitness- compared to what I was 3 years ago.
    Back then getting upstairs was turning into a bit of an issue :oops: still at least 2 1/2- 3 st heavier than I want to be, but can ride my MTB round the likes of the Marin without too many issues. I'm not lightening fast, but I'm improving. Did 50 miles on my road bike- what seems like an eternity ago, but prob. only 6-7 weeks..... next big target for me is the metric ton (100 km/ 62 miles) and then the 3/4 ton of 75 miles and then a couple of magic 100's! All so I can complete a charity ride for some friends whose doughter died of cancer.
    My Pics !

• hsa
    hsa Posts: 220
    Don't worry Dave, we are all still keeping an eye on this great thread. Keep it going :)

Nice points there about improving fitness. When I first started with my mate I was kind of ashamed at having to stop every 5 minutes on climbs (I have felt pretty sick at times from pushing so hard) and watching him wait at the top encouraging me and all the way. I have aspired to his level of fitness. I am still a while off it but I have noticed sometimes that he is blowing pretty hard and I can stay with him for alot of the time and we are getting racy on the descents, which is so much fun. The weight loss seems to have stalled but my fitness has improved massively. Oh yeah and he REALLY hates it when I go past him.

I am tempted to try a work commute but it is a 35 mile round trip for me. Thinking of getting a roadie (don't shout!).

Good luck with those goals ratty. Impressed!
  • maddra22
    maddra22 Posts: 5
    ratty2k said
    [ the big thing for me was as I said not to be fat and forty. So Im still well on target for that- 37 1/2 at the moment. So2 1/2 years to lose 2 /12 stone]

I said exactly the same thing only change the 2 1/2 stone to 18 stone and and that's nearer the mark. Getting older has never bothered me until I had my 37th birthday last December and I suddenly felt my life was flashing past (major mid life crisis moment) I was fat and 20, fat and 30, I am determined not to be fat and 40 :!:
    7 months on I am not only four stone lighter but also much fitter, lower cholesterol and blood pressure. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes four years ago but until now have not really made any serious effort to change my life style, my consultant is now talking about lowering some of my medication if these changes continue.
    These benefits are the things that keep me going when I get fed up.

Normally I would loose 1 stone and put 2 back, now things are different if it takes me 10 years I don't care as long as there is a general downward trend I WILL get there in the end.

I am in this for the long, long haul.
    I am in the marathon and not the 100metre sprint.

Anyway sermon over, what I originally set out to ask was peoples ages, just curious to know if we are similar age groups.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence, then success is sure."
  • hsa
    hsa Posts: 220
    Hi maddra.

38 in September :(

I think I was having one of those mid-life crisis thingy's, too. It's 37 isn't it, that's the killer number!
  • ratty2k
    37 and a bit........
    My Pics !

• All you young guys ........

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • lost-time
    lost-time Posts: 549
    lovewales wrote:
    OK just a quick question for all you who have serious amounts of weight to shift.

I am female 5'6" and weigh 18 stone (this does not bother me a lot) I have been cycling for about 2 years every weekend and when I can fit it in inbetween, but although my shape is changing its not all for the good. Jeans are now baggy round hips and rear end which is good but my stomach is growing. I used to a fairly flat stomach and it is really annoying none of my clothes fit. I need to lose weight not move it around my body!!

Any ideas?

To cut a long story short I was a very fit 13st 6'2'' then that rose to 14.5st and eventually 18.5st. I'm now 15.25st and I have noticed that jeans and shorts tend to hang off my hips yet if i buy the next size down they are too tight either in the waist or around the thighs. I've aways had a problem with my thighs as I seem to develop quite muscular thighs and therefore jeans and trousers always have to be baggier. I still have a little belly flab and lovehandles. As my waist has shrunk I think my belly is just more noticable now, so it appears bigger! This could be similar with yourself. I am trying to get fitter and fitter so I'm not too concerned what the scales say as I'd rather be fit and fat than skinny and unfit.
    Your weight will come off eventually around your belly but it will just take longer. Just watch what you eat and more importantly how much you eat. Last but not least, an ample female figure is a sight to behold so don't lose the curves completey ok?!
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Thanx all, this is an excellent thread which I've read from begining to end :-)

After getting on a bike for the first time in probably around 5-6 years, I can relate to the feelings, mechanical breakdowns, financial repositioning :wink: and saddle sore that seem to be common

My reason for getting back in the saddle was to loose weight, in Jan I was 16.5 stone (I'd topped out at 17 :( ), I neither had the time or the inclination to join a gym..And I'd rather spend my money on beer, I know, I know :) ....anyway, been riding before I go into the office, nothing too hard, just along the Thames started at 6 miles, now doing around 12 about twice a week (I'm not always in the office) and also started trying to kill myself with extra off road excursions on the hills of Berkshire and Hampshire as well as longer rides.

Anyway on the scales this morning I'm down to 14.5! Still some way to go...next step is to ride the 12 miles into work and back, then it's good bye tummy! (hopefully!)

One thing you might like to try (which scared me when I did it)...Go to your book shelf, and pick up a pile of big heavy books that you think weigh the same as the weight you've lost. Stand on the scales with nothing, then pick up the books. Now go back to the book shelf and pick up some more books, because if you're anything like me you will have seriously underestimated how much the weight you have lost actually weighs.

It's one thing seeing and feeling the weight loss on you, and having to buy new belts because you've run out of holes in the right direction. It's another trying to carry the weight you've lost back to the book shelf.

Keep at it, I am :)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • ratty2k
    Have to agree, with the fact you can underestimate what you've lost actually is- I look as my loss so far as equivalent to the big sacks of spuds you can buy in a farm shop- 56lbs! Puts thing into perspective that!
    My Pics !

• Hi all, it's weigh in day again.

I came in at 21st 6.5lb, a weekly loss of 3.75lbs, and now total loss of 26.5lbs over the 8 weeks i have been doing it. I am very pleased.

I haven't cycled at all this week. To make a change my bike hasn't broken, and it's not even down to the weather despite the flooding problems around the UK. This week I have been working 'days' rather than my usual 'lates'. Thus I have been finishing at the peak of the rush hour (vice between 21.00 and 01.00 like normal) and cycling home would have been quite risky for me (whichever of the routes I take they are all very busy roads and lots of junctions and roundabouts). So i took a week off. I am back on lates again starting today, and will be back on my bike this evening weather permitting.

HJ1976- Good luck in your weight loss goals. I will post a before and after photo when I get to my goals. By then I will have no shame, just pride lol.

Tuxpoo- Great post. Like many others on this forum, you are on the same road as I. The difference is you are miles and miles ahead. I love to read stories like yours. One day I will be posting a success story like that (and who knows? maybe i'll even be riding in the rain by then? lol)

MarvintheAndroid- Douglas Adams if memory serves me right? Some great points, and all very true, especially point 6. You are also right about the trouser problem. I already have no trousers, jeans or tops that fit well. But I refuse to buy any more until I have lost more as i will just be throwing my money away. If you see someone who looks like they have shrunk into their clothes it could be me lol.

Ratty2k- I can't think of a better incentive (other than the benefits to your own health of course) than your forthcoming charity ride to get you cycling. Good luck with the mile munching. When is it?

HSA- You and a few others seem to have something which I lack. A riding buddy. I can't decide if it would help or hinder my progress. On the one hand, I know that I am happy to poodle along at my own pace and time, but on the other I guess some company (and competition) would be great. It's definitely something I may try in the future as some guys from work have already expressed an interest. At the moment I think it is more 'pick on the fat guy' stuff but I'll show those skinny guys lol. Commuting for me is what brought me to cycling in the first place so obviously I would recommend it, but i think with cycling you should do what you like. Enjoyment of it, and satisfaction from it, are the most important things. Do you have washing facilities at work?

Maddra22- I am 30. I had the same mid-life crisis turning 30 that you did at 37. I have no idea what my cholesterol is, and am way too scared to have a test for diabetes. Putting these things off for as long as possible to put as big a gap as possible between me and my previous overweightedness (still dont like the word obesity so ive made my own up) and lack of fitness.

Lost-time- This forum contains some fantastic advice, but yours is the winner for me- "an ample female figure is a sight to behold so don't lose the curves completey ok?!".

Snooks- Congratulations on your success thus far. Good luck with the ride into work and back. I'm sure you'll be fine. I love your idea with the books. When this first started my spiritual partner (seems like as good a way to describe her as any) in the USA and I spoke about buying a lb of lard for every lb we lost, and just stacking them in a spare corner of our respective homes. The idea being that as the weight loss improves, so the mountain of lard develops. Each time we struggled to stick to our plans all we needed to do was go and look at our lard stacks to remind ourselves why we were doing it. Of course, i told my wife of the idea and she quickly pointed out that the lard mountain would be over her dead body lol. Still like the idea though. And books of course skirts that problem, so i may do it on the sly lol.

That's enough from me for another week. If you are reading this and you are already fit and healthy then well done, we too will get there one day. If you are already on the road to health and fitness then stick with it. As has been pointed out by many of us the road is long and has bumps along the way but the destination is reachable. And if you aren't even on the road yet, we will be here waiting for you when you get on it to help you along the rough spots. Back next Monday.
  • HJ1976
    Good for you!!!

How does it feel to know that you have lost nearly as much weight as your youngest (could) weigh!
  • ratty2k
    Ratty2k- I can't think of a better incentive (other than the benefits to your own health of course) than your forthcoming charity ride to get you cycling. Good luck with the mile munching. When is it?

In September sometime? Not 100% sure just yet....

Been out today with a couple of lads from the "other forum" today at Grizedale NFT 2 laps which IIRC is 22 miles? maybe 20- not too worried! Really enjoyed it today, despite the torrential downpour on the second lap :shock: I have proper gear, so no worries there! Absolutely fecked now tho' got home and err had the squitters! :oops: :shock: feeling terrible now, maybe a bit dehydrated, although I did drink plenty- possibly a chill? All that rain and me sweating buckets........ Day off work on the sick tomorrow to recover for Friday. Been a busy week, forum ride @ Llandegla yesterday, not sure how long it is with the black route? 14 miles I guess? 20+ today, and off to Coed Y Brenin on Friday for a trip round the beast! Gonna be knackered after that I think!

Good to see you still shifting the weight Dave, keep at it! Theres some usefull info on riding on the roads in the roady bit at the bottom..... well worth a read all about lane position and confidence. Maybe its on the main site as well, I'll have a look and post a link if I can find it.......CLICKY
    My Pics !

• adevs
    adevs Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I'm new to this site and read through this trial with great interest.

I'm 46 VERY overweight, officebound and very depressed. I thought that I was on my own with the idea of getting into cycling to lose weight and get fit, BUT reading through all your comments has given me confidence to get started.

I pick up my bike from a small local dealer next week. He gave me great confidence that I wouldn't break the thing. I have only tested it over a few hundred yards but I feel that it's for me.

I'm looking to supplement my exercise with some very early swimming (when there aren't many people around)!

I'm looking to put some sort of programme together as a target, I've got diet sheets which help, but I'm not so sure about a cycling progamme yet. Guess I'll see how it goes to start with.

Thanks for the 'encouragement' that you've given others, which by reading only has hept me.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Keep posting. Use the info on this site for inspiration. Like-minded people talking to one another about their crusade is therapy. Go slow at first and make use of your fellow MTB get-fitters. The comments throughout the forum will motivate you. The responses directed to yourself will show that many people are united towards the same goal. There are some fitness books for cyclists also available. These always begin with gentle exercises and short distances. Try and join a club or team up with a friend. You can compare notes during each cycle and rib one another about your slimming efforts - failed or not! One will encourage the other. It's the collective mission idea that all these weight loss clubs are based on. A group can achieve more individually than one person working on his or her lonesome.
  • Hi all. Sry for not posting last Monday, was upset with lack of progress and very unmotivated. Nothing much is different this week to be honest but I need to refocus on the task in hand so I'm back. Weigh in day again and I am 21st 8.75lb which is an increase of a quarter of a pound for this week (had put on 2lbs last week). Obviously moving in the wrong direction. My eating habits have been poor for the last fortnight, I have made very little efort to do the right thing, I have had terrible sleep (mix of internet poker, weather -waaaay too hot and sticky to get comfy, and kids). And I have not cycled once. It's been over 2 weeks now since I last cycled and I think this has been part of the problem. I have been very quick to find excuses not to ride and to be honest I have no idea why as I love it so much. Very odd. The good news is that I am still ahead of my original and ongoing target for weight loss of 2lb per week. My aims for this week are almost back to basics, in that I have to give priority to eating healthily, sleeping well, drinking lots of water, and of course lots of cycling. The only difference between now and when I started, being that I am lighter and will go straight for the longer distance to ride. I hope you are all doing better than I have been, and I will be back Monday with some more positive news.
  • Hi All,

Spurred on by Daves efforts I bought my bike 2.5 weeks ago and have been out on my local trails killing myself every other day. Along with getting into a healthy eating regime and cutting out alchohol I have gone from 21st dead to 20st bang on in 1.5 weeks. I am hoping that this continues and can shed another few stone in the future. Keep up the good work dave you are inspiring other people into turning their lives around.....
    petesig.jpg