Very overweight - where can i start?

davepiggott13
davepiggott13 Posts: 95
edited August 2016 in Health, fitness & training
Hi,

As embarrassing as it is, I am very overweight - weighing it at around 22 stone. I am 6ft 2in tall and very stocky too (honestly!).

I used to ride as a kid but haven't done so for many years - I'm now 30.

I plan to start riding to and from the train station (only about 1 mile or slightly less each way, and on roads rather than off-road) to start with, then slowly riding to the next station each time until i am finally fit enough to ride all the way to work and back. I know it's gonna take a long time to lose the weight and get fit but then it took me a long time to podge up too! I'm not planning on going off-road at any point in the near future.

Confessions over, I need your help. I am very concerned that any bike i buy is gonna break as soon as i sit on it, or tyres not hold enough pressure, or pedals snap off under the weight, etc etc. And hopefully this is where you come in.

I know nothing about bikes and from what I've seen on this forum you guys and girls are the experts. I need some advice on what bike would be suitable for me if indeed there are any at all that would survive me.

Please pity the fat guy ...

Thanks

Dave
[Admin] First post added to this and post between have been deleted to try and fix a problem[/Admin]

Thank you so much everybody, I didn't think there'd be anything out there for someone as heavy as me so I glad on this occassion to be wrong.

I am a train driver (was a fit active milkman, now a bored and stationary eating-machine!) and will be taking it on the train, but if i ever have to leave it at a station it will be very safe.

I will definitely only ever be using it on made roads, never for off-roading or even over grass!

I'm very grateful for your speedy replies thus far, and have read them all and followed the links but still don't really know what to get! My price range though limited ideally, in reality it is more important i get a bike i can rely on not to break under my weight. I'd rather pay more now for quality than buy on the cheap and pay for it time and time again in the future.

Is there a particular make that is renowned for it's sturdiness or are they all as good as each other (I don't need the best, just one that suits). Last time i had a bike my choices were mountain bike, racer or diamond back bmx so i am very much out of touch here.

Thanks again for all your help, I hope to really get into this MTB thing myself.

Dave

[Admin] First post added to this and post between have been deleted to try and fix a problem[/Admin][/b]

Thanks ever so much to you all for your bike advice and for showing me there's light at the end of the tunnel. I'm going to look around the local shops at the bikes I've been recommended and see which suits wallet and buttocks the best!

I'll stay in touch with my progress and who knows maybe it may inspire another chunk to do the same?

Thanks again

Dave
- Each new day is a gift, that\'s why it's called the present -

Comments

• I'm VERY excited, lol. I've just ridden a bike for the first time in 20 years! OK, so it was only around a Halfords store but it's a start. I'm keen to buy from a local shop so that i have somewhere nearby to go back to with questions or problems. I've got my eye on the Carrera Kraken and before I take the plunge I'd like some advice please, particularly any reasons why i SHOULDN'T buy it. Failing that, I'm gonna take the plunge tomorrow probably.
  • proximo
    proximo Posts: 785
    good starter/refresher bike, shouldnt go wrong with one of those.

he who dares wins!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7357821@N06/
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The Kraken is a good bike for the money, the Mongoose Tyax Elite (œ290) is also good value (if you can find one, they are quite popular!)

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><center><font color="green"><i>Official Forum Potty Mouth 2007</i></font id="green"></center></font id="size1"><font size="1"><hr noshade size="1"><center><font color="violet">My Flickr Album, With <b>new</b> updated bike pics</font id="violet">
    <font color="green">Me & My Bikes</font id="green"> <font color="orange">Orange Bikes</font id="orange"> <font color="blue">Howies© </font id="blue"><font color="black">moredirt photo gallery</font id="black">
    <font color="purple">'05 C2C Pic's, </font id="purple"><font color="red"> Red Bull Soap Box Race </font id="red"><font color="black">&</font id="black"><font color="brown"> Snowboarding Pics</font id="brown"></center></font id="size1">
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • gary_fisher3
    gary_fisher3 Posts: 3,466
    It's worth asking a few things before handing over your cash.

The wheels have "DDM1 disc specific rims". I've not got a clue what these are like; but the chances are they're not fantastic. If they are on the poor side it <b>might</b> be worth asking if you can swap them over for something with a bit of strength.

Check to make sure the suntour forks can be <b>correctly</b> adjusted to take your weight. If they can't don't worry, you can pick a set of rigid forks up off ebay (Which will be better for road riding) for very little.

There's no weight limit in the warrenty. (I seriously doubt it; but it's worth checking!)
  • Gary, From what I can tell the forks can be locked out thus making them rigid - please correct me if I'm wrong. I will definitely ask about the rims and will double check the warranty. I am notoriously hard to please (as my friends will tell you!) but I was incredibly impressed with the knowledge of the lad who helped me in Halfords, so I shall twist his ear some more tomorrow. I feel like a little boy in a sweet shop (of course, I now know not to eat all the sweets lol). I cannot believe how much bikes have moved on since i had one. So many gadgets and upgrades, I can see the bug is gonna bite me and it's gonna cost me a lot of dosh. Please keep the advice coming, and thanks again.
  • gary_fisher3
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Gary, From what I can tell the forks can be locked out thus making them rigid - please correct me if I'm wrong<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes they can be locked out; and to be honest for efficency reasons on the road they're probably best off left locked out.

However, you're paying a lot of money for these forks. It would be nice if you at least had the option of using them. Perhaps they'll be fine. I'm sure you'll find out tomorrow!
  • Aux1
    Aux1 Posts: 865
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davepiggott13</i>

I was incredibly impressed with the knowledge of the lad who helped me in Halfords, so I shall twist his ear some more tomorrow.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Make sure you catch him when he doesn't have a dozen customers at once, so he can give you his full attention...

"Let's have a minute's silence for all those Americans who are currently sitting in traffic on the way to the gym to ride a stationary bicycle."

KTM Ultra Flite 2007
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    If your commuting you may be better off with the Carrera Subway (still from Halfords) as you'll soon want to swap the tyres for some puncture proof commuting ones and will find it easier to cover larger distances on the subway - mountain bikes aren't great on the road. Plus if you're leaving it by a station the subway may look less appealing than the Kraken.

Explain to the Guy in the store you want bike for a daily commute and not for Mountain biking (if I've read you post correctly?) and see what he recommends, he may swap the tyres on the kraken.

My Photo's
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/98234388@N00
    My Video's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW6DI7u19lM
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • Aux1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dsmiff</i>

mountain bikes aren't great on the road.

Hmm, I always felt surprised how good you could ride them both on and off road, IMO they are the ultimate multipurpose bikes. I ride mine on road every day and it just flies! I have 26"x1.9" tyres.

"Let's have a minute's silence for all those Americans who are currently sitting in traffic on the way to the gym to ride a stationary bicycle."

KTM Ultra Flite 2007
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Buy the Kraken and fit City Jet (26x1.95) slick tyres. Can't believe how these no-tread tyres make road cycling so easy. Grippy tyres are hard work and will of course help you lose weight more quickly but these slick tyres might stop you switching off after a few weeks. They cost œ26 from Wiggle or œ15 (pair) from the One Day Sale crowd who travel the country (check cycle promotions site). Best wishes on your weight challenge. Stick with it and keep us posted. I set out nine years ago to lose weight - from 14 stone. I'm now down to 13stone 11. Big deal eh? But cycling's kept me fit, busy and provided a weekly objective (30/40 miles with mates). Get sponsored and get everyone behind you.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1296598/
  • The bike is ordered and I'll be collecting it tomorrow. I did ask about swapping the tyres but they wouldn't do it for nothing - I'd have had to pay for the tyres anyway, so I'm gonna try the provided ones first and see how I get on then upgrade if necessary (will cost me the same so may as well give the fitted ones the benefit of the doubt!). I am going for the 3 year plan that gives me an annual service and free labour on any repairs/upgrades. Ironically my leg is really aching today, psycho-sematic injury perhaps due to my worrying about riding again perhaps? I've spent too much money to pull out now! Thanks to you all for your help and advice.
  • Woohoo! Had my first ride tonight. I got off the train one stop earlier than the one i wanted and cycled the difference - not certain but i think about two miles. What did i learn? Firstly, that the man in the shop was right about the seat height and i need to put it back up to where he had it (looked too high so i lowered it). Secondly that i'm not as unfit as i thought, although i was travelling at a very leisurely pace. I made a point of not stopping at all though from start to finish. Thirdly that my bum didn't hurt until i had to get off. Ouch. Hope i get used to it. And finally, I realised that I should have done this many years ago. But I have a question. It currently has the standard tyres which are big chunky off-road things (the bike is a Carrera Kraken if you have just joined us). Would i be better off getting commuter tyres? I'm only on tarmacced road. I guess it would make for a smoother ride but would it make a big difference? I can always keep the off-road ones for later on when i've lost enough weight to go and play with the bike as it was designed for. Thanks again for your help and encouragement. I promise I won't forget you when i'm skinny LOL
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Yes a BIG difference, most people have recommended these, they are a lot lighter than the tyres you have, puncture resistant and roll easier (you can go faster with less effort!)

A had something similar on mine.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300003751&N=Schwalbe%20City%20Jet%20Tyre%20Set

Keep us posted with how you get on........

My Photo's
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/98234388@N00
    My Video's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW6DI7u19lM
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • gary_fisher3
    The Schwalbe City Jets are top notch, you'll definately notice an increase in speed. However, you might find the ride is a bit harsh with these tyres. Particularly with the narrow 1.5" tyre dsmiff has linked to.

If you have a search around you should be able to find a wider version of the same tyre. ( 26x1.95.).

Another tyre to look at is the Schwalbe Big Apple. This tyre isn't as quick as the City Jet but what it looses in speed it gains in comfort.
  • Thanks for the feedback once again. I'm gonna pop to halfords this afternoon to see what they've got on offer. Definitely need to swap them over. Bum still hurting lol. When i had a motorbike, i had a special puncture repair liquid inside my tyres. The idea was that as soon as i got a puncture the hole would seal and the repair would be good for the life of the tyre regardless of how many punctures you had. Typically of course, I never got a puncture after using it. I have seen a similar product for bike tyres but would like to know if anybody thinks it's worth it or if it's just a gimmick.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Slime innertubes are a worthwhile investment. Add a little weight, but barely noticable unless the bike is ultra light. Put them inside protected tyres and you'll have many happy rides

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guilliano/
  • CURWENATOR
    CURWENATOR Posts: 17
    Dave

my best advice if your trying to lose some lbs is get out onto some cyclepaths, your away from people and they are safe and quiet environments plus the majority are very flat.

maybe get a larger diameter tyre like a 2.25" to make you feel more stable!

Eagles sore but weasels don't get caught in jet engines....
    Eagles sore but weasels don\'t get caught in jet engines....
  • woodywmb
    I suggested earlier that you buy Schwalbe Jets 1.95. I now see the same size and same treadless style tyres by Nokian at half the price - œ15 post free on one site. Try Google PRODUCTS search for comparison. Glad you've hit the road. Keep us informed.

• Me again - I'm still alive! I've just had only my second ride so far. Had a little problem (can't tell you as i promised the wife i'd keep it secret but it involves two bikes/bike roof racks/our car/low barrier lmao) but got the bike back today in one piece. I've got a bigger seat now, and it seems to be a little better for me. Is it possible to raise the handlebars? I feel as though i am leaning over far too far. I'm after more of a leisurely ride than racing position. I'm reasonably certain my seat is now ok. My wrists and hands are aching a little after a ride and I think a more upright position could solve it. For some reason my legs really ached tonight (they didnt the first ride) I guess they're still recovering from the first one. Havent changed my tyres yet as I'm gonna see if i can put up with the standard ones for money reasons.
  • woodywmb
    You won't be able to raise the front much, if at all, because the fork's steerer tube will have been sawn to suit the bike's geometry. There MAY be spacers above the stem (one, two or three quarter-inch aluminium/carbon rings) and if so these can be switched to below the stem to raise it. Some bike sites will explain this better if you key in fork, spacers, stem etc. BUT ... you can raise it by fitting a high rise stem. (BBB BHS-24 Hig Rise 35D)
    http://www.bbbparts.com/ This costs from œ14 to œ20 - cheaper at Parker International. Other high rise stems are twice or three times the price. These do change the steering performance but are effective in lifting the front end. Ahem, you didn't say how many stones you've lost! I count my weight loss in ounces. Sounds better!!!

• Mayhemwmb
    Mayhemwmb Posts: 108
    Keep with it, I've just started to ride to work again having had a long lay off, my journey is five miles each way and I manage it in just under 20 minutes, the route is a little up and down, I noticed it was harder on the third and fourth day in a row, as my backside hurts like hell and my legs feel as though they are filled with lead!! I'm pretty keen to loose weight as I'm a 19 stone ex rugby player with a knackered back. I'm pee'd off as I'm developing a physique like homer simpson
  • RobS
    RobS Posts: 131
    keep with it Dave, im 23.x stones myself and love showing people that big people can ride bikes (sometimes anyway - chopwell lot)

have fun and keep going, btw my girlfriends got a kraken and its a good little bike, gets her about and ive been on it plenty of times and it holds up to me as well lol [:D]

Cheers,

Rob

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">My Site - <font color="brown">robandgem.net</font id="brown">
    My Ride - <font color="red">Kona Hoss '06</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    -Rob

Kona Hoss 06
    My Site - www.robandgem.net
  • Aux1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davepiggott13</i>

but it involves two bikes/bike roof racks/our car/low barrier lmao

LOL
    I had that too... some years ago when we bought 2 new bikes! Amazingly, there was no real damage [:0]

Btw have you talked about riding with your doctor? Maybe he/she can give you some good advice and tell what to expect. And don't give up!!! [:)]

<font size="1">To clip or not to clip, that is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind of men to suffer the dings and contusions of unclipp'd riding, or to bind thy feet against a sea of gnarly singletrack and by these contraptions, ride o'er them with ease. To clip... to slip no more, and by clipping to end the buttache and the thousand natural shocks that ryders are heir to; tis a consummation devoutly to be honed. No clip - to slip perchance to be thrashed most heinously...</font id="size1">

KTM Ultra Flite 2007
  • OMG How much bad luck can I have? Got the bike back with mended rear wheel yesterday and had only my second real ride, then went for the third today and the pedal fell off LOL. Glad I was next to a train station. Will have a closer look tomorrow, hopefully I can just re-attach it. Probably more damage arising from the bikes/roof rack/low barrier episode which i'm not mentioning. Never fear about giving up, there's no chance of that. Though it would be great if i could just have ONE ride without something falling off or breaking lol. Will be back ... and thanks again for your replies.
  • Aux1
    Well, if you had to push the bike look at it this way: More exercise! [:D] Problems are opportunities in disguise!

I hope your bike is OK, strange about the pedal though, how about taking it to the shop again, saying the bike feels a bit strange or something and you want them to check if everything on the bike is holding together, make up some story... Or you can drop it from like a foot and hear for strange noises, or hold the front/rear of the bike in the air and hammer on top of the the wheel with your fist a bit to feel if something's loose... Maybe someone else here can suggest some quick checks!

PS keep going lol I want you to succeed! [8D]

<font size="1">To clip or not to clip, that is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind of men to suffer the dings and contusions of unclipp'd riding, or to bind thy feet against a sea of gnarly singletrack and by these contraptions, ride o'er them with ease. To clip... to slip no more, and by clipping to end the buttache and the thousand natural shocks that ryders are heir to; tis a consummation devoutly to be honed. No clip - to slip perchance to be thrashed most heinously...</font id="size1">

KTM Ultra Flite 2007
  • I described the fault poorly. The pedal is fine, it is still connected perfectly to the arm. Not sure if it is called an arm but sounds about right. The screw which holds the arm to the 'turny bit' (haven't got a word for that bit) seems to have come loose and the whole arm was working it's way off. Hence the feeling that the pedal was wonky while i was riding. Will re-attach it and hopefully it will stay in place for at least one ride. I'm more gutted because i thought i was being really switched on when i started this whole operation because i bought a pump and a little gadget with several screwdriver and allen keys on it for emergencies. Then along comes my emergency, out comes the trusty tool, and BLOW ME but there isn't an allen key big enough on it! LOL
  • Aux1
    Ahh, it should be the 8mm allen key... I bought my keys individually in a hardware store, but they must be quality ones made of stainless steel. They're still very cheap...

I guess tightening a bolt is very easy but you still have a lot of wisdom about it here! [:D]

So, a loose bolt is much better than a pedal misteriously falling off... I got worried your bike could fall apart lol but I guess it's nothing then! [:D]

Ps it's a good idea to have a spare hose and the plastic tire removal tool while you ride, you can sort out a puncture in a few minutes that way! Although you probably won't get one on the road...

KTM Ultra Flite 2007
  • Yay all fixed. And so easy too. I feel like Scotty from Star Trek! Gonna make sure I carry the right size allen in future as i reckon it could happen again. And Aux1 - Watch Out - I think ninja is coming on to you lol.
  • Aux1
    Lol ninja I wonder what I said wrong to make such an impression [:o)]

BTW haha, Scotty... if you can feel like that, guess fixing things is fun for you Dave! A must for a rider [8D]

KTM Ultra Flite 2007
  • Fresh back from Halfords. Traded my ludicrously useless 'handy' little multi-tool for one which actually has attachments i might need some time. The fellow in the shop reckons i need to bring the bike back in to be checked as some of it may need to be replaced - apparently the pedal arm thingy shouldn't fall off! Told him i had refitted it and it seemed ok but had to promise i'd bring it back if it happened again. Resisting taking the bike back if not essential as it has spent more time in the menders than i have in the saddle since i bought it. Fingers crossed the weather stays dry. I love my new found enthusiasm for riding which in turn will help with my weight and fitness but not sure i could opt for a wet ride over a dry train any time! What a wuss eh?