Very overweight - where can i start?

Comments

• Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    The next thing is starting to increase the distance on the ride home. I went the long way home last night 3 miles to 4.7... Only took about 5 mins longer it seemed... This was the flatter route, there is a slightly longer additional route but that finishes with a large hill....
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    It IS good to see that the thread's still going. Glad to see you back Dave! As for myself, the extra weight that I put on after packing in smoking seems to of stabilised........

So, at the last weigh in on my scales 17St 3lb. I hope that by writing it down in a public forum will help me with my motivation to eat healthier. Ther was a post on the old C+ forum Ex-XXL IIRC?
    Where there was a weekly weigh in....
    I'm gonna start posting my weight....... and see if I can get back myself back on track!
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Nice to see you back Dave, I have been constantly out every other night doing on average 10 miles all offroad trails. Now at weekends we are doing 25 mile trails and have continued to lose the pounds and get much fitter. I am now at 19st 4lbs from 21st 4lbs seven weeks ago, I also play 5 a side footie on a Tuesday night now and its the first time I have done an hour without getting seriously out of breath so it must be working and thanks for the incentive. It was through this thread that I decided to get a bike.

Pete
    petesig.jpg
  • Noodoo
    Noodoo Posts: 214
    OK, it's taken me 2 days, but i've just finished reading the thread.

I'm well impressed with everyone's efforts!

I aspire to the level of fitness of some of you guys! I'm just over 10 stones, 5'11" and 27 years old. I ride at weekends when I can, just for fun and considered myself quite fit before I read this thread!
    You folks must have some serious stamina!

carry on the riding fun! :)

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.
  • Hi
    I've really missed the almost constant flow of posts, particularly Dave's regular updates and was wondering if things were limping to a close.
    I'm glad most people seem to be back.
    I have been lurking in the back ground and kept checking the thread but not posting myself as I had nothing to say as nothing has been happening. I am pleased to report I am back on track and lost 3 pound last week and 4 pound the week before, about time after 2 months of arsing about with my diet.
    My bike has been my salvation as although my eating has been crap, I kept up the exercise and have managed to keep off the 4 stone I lost at the beginning of the year.
    Anybody who has struggled with their weight will be familiar with the routine of "1 stone off and 2 stone back on", that's how I ended up being (gulp) 27 stone, believe me that doesn't happen overnight so how stupid to think I can lose it instantly, with my bike I now have the tool I always needed to keep things under control when when I am struggling with my food.
    I still have the long term goal of achieving a health weight for my 40th 22-12-2009, but in the mean time my last diabetic check went great, my blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure are all fantastic thanks to the regular exercise I am getting.
    So if you are like I was a few months ago wondering whether to get a bike the answer is YES!!!
    Please everyone keep on pedaling and posting this thread is like my lifeline.
    Sorry to all you blokes if this is a bit mushy but it's how I feel. Dave you helped save me from the dark days of pasties and chocolates (although not together, even I didn't get that bad). :lol:

Donna.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence, then success is sure."
  • Hi all, it's that time again. I weighed in this morning at 21st 1.75lb, which is a weekly loss of 3.75lbs, an overall loss of 2st 2lbs, and the lowest weight I have been since July 22 last year. Needless to say I am very pleased. I am also back on my 2lb per week target (slightly ahead now), and should break into the 20st xlb weight next Monday. I have ridden home from work four times this week which also is a new record for me, my previous highest being three. That is slightly over 40 miles I have cycled this week. I am not far from cycling every night, and then all that remains is to vary my routes to make it longer. Onwards and upwards.

I am very very pleased to see that so many of us are still reading and using this thread, and that so many people are using it to give them some get-up-and-go. If you haven't posted yet please drop a line and say hi - we are all in the same boat here. Thank you to whoever stickied it too.

Ringside - Back in August I was still heavier than you, it doesn't take long for it to come off. I am very impressed that you have managed to shave 10 mins off a 25 min journey - are you time trialling? lol My journey seems to take me 45 mins whether I take it easy or push myself, and whether I go the shorther or longer route! Very odd.

Baccaman - My parents are both skinny people (grrrrr), but I have been overweight for as long as i can remember. It's rather odd that although I 'knew' I was overweight, I never really 'KNEW' I was overweight if you know what I mean. I always hated the way I was, yet never enough to stop what I was doing, and improve myself. You are one step ahead of that as you KNOW what could happen if you are not careful. Only now do I consider that I have the same frame of mind as you. And i believe that frame of mind is the key to everything.

Aux1 - Glad to see you're still with us.

Rykard - Spot on. I will look to increase my mileage soon enough (just as soon as my bum stops hurting lol)

Ratty2k - Glad you're still here too. Well done for still being a non-smoker. Do you feel better for it? I have now been a non smoker for 20 months, and feel great. I know I will never smoke again. I don't even really miss it now, tho I do get a good lungful every now and then if someone if smoking nearby lol. I post my weight weekly on one site (two including this) and monthly on another and it does help for sure. It's also fantastic to be able to watch the figures drop steadily. Good luck with the task ahead, and stay in touch.

Big Trunks - I'm not sure which I'm the most impressed with; the 10 miles off road every other night or the fact you last an hour on 5-a-side without getting tired. In fact, i do know, it is definitely the football - i could only ever last 5 mins in that without being too hot and sore to carry on lol. You have come a long way, and I'm sure you will keep it going.

Noodoo - Welcome to the thread. Some of the guys on here are very very fit, others not at all so. Some are extremely overweight (twiddles thumbs), others sleek riding machines. We all face one challenge or another, and this thread is the place to be if you want some support, or even to show off your success, or just for a chat.

Maddra22 - Hi again. Welcome back to thread-posting and also to success with your weigh loss. So many of us seem to have let things slip a little over summer, maybe there's something scientific behind it? Good to see you're back in the zone now, and even better that you have kept off the four stone you already lost (WOW by the way, I am halfway there, but sooooo far off!). What is this '1 stone off, 2 stone on' you talk about? I only know '7lbs off, 2 stone on' lol. You are right. All my previous attempts to lose weight have been like that. I struggle for ages for lose weight, have limited success, then in a matter of a few weeks those months of hard work are undone. Only since this started for me in May have I realised that I was ALWAYS doing it wrong, or halfheartedly. For a start, I never included any exercise in my plans. Secondly, I was always on some kind of points/calorie counting scheme which by definition only work while you are following them so it was never a long-term or permanent answer to my problems. This has been different for me, a lifestyle change rather than solely an eating habit change. I eat what i want, but this time what i want is much healthier, much better for me. The only plan I am following is my own. If I ever fancy something a little naughtier (maybe a chinese or indian) then i will go ahead and have it, no guilt, and enjoy it too. This is going to last for the rest of my life so it is important that I do not feel I am going without, as i always felt on the points diet. This is all about positivity, not negativity. I am eating what I want, when I want, I am cycling more than ever in my life, I am losing weight far more successfully than ever before. It is all good.

OK, that is enough gushing for one week, but here is something funny to end with. I am a train driver, as if you didnt know, and a few days ago my train 'failed' in a platform - the train itself was fine, but it stopped in a 'gap' where it could not reach the conductor rail so could not get power and was stranded. I asked the Signaller to arrange for another train to attach and push/pull us off the gap. While i was waiting for him to get back to me and confirm the arrangements i sat in my cab thinking how handy it would be to have one of those people on board who pull trains with their teeth - we only had to roll forward a few feet to get back onto the power. Then it dawned on me, with my new cyclists legs, could I not pull it myself? As it goes, i couldn't, but when a passenger helped too, the train rolled forward back onto the juice! I couldn't stop laughing. I bet not many people have pushed a train!

That is it until next Monday. I wish you all the best with your healthy eating, cycling, or whatever it is you are struggling with. If you have never posted before drop us a line to say hi. We are all in this together.

Dave
    - Each new day is a gift, that\'s why it's called the present -
  • I think we'll all need a bit more motivation as the nights start to draw in. I ride 2-4 days a week to work but this usually drops to 1-2 in the depths of winter. Getting some decent lights has helped ( http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=9204 ) but sometimes I do think it'll be easier by car!

At my last weigh in I was 15st 5lbs. In January this year I was nudging 18st.

I tend to look at my fitness rather than my weight/size. I mean, I'd rather be able to last a long ride and to nip up the climbs and be overweight than to tire easily but be the 'correct' weight.

Good luck one and all.
  • Well I think I held back a bit in my last post cos the other Saturday I did a 24 mile offroad run which ruined me, I then only played footie on the Tuesday (I used to be knackered afer 5 mins also) and didnt ride till the weekend just gone. It was amazing how much better I rode after a few days off with much more speed and stamina over the 15 miles we did, It was that good that Me and a friend did a 30 mile offroad yesterday. Took five hours to complete and am completely in agony today but I didnt half and enjoy it. I think what I am trying to say is dont push for riding every night, you need time to recover otherwise your muscles dont have time to repair and thats when injuries start to creep in. I am only happy when covered in mud and blood from the sodding nettles and brambles.
    petesig.jpg
  • Big Trunks wrote:
    . I think what I am trying to say is dont push for riding every night, you need time to recover otherwise your muscles dont .

So true. Sometimes I find even four or five days 'rest' can do me the world of good. I still walk a good couple of miles each day even if I drive to work as I park outside of town and it's a twenty minute walk each way.

Over doing it can make you feel so tired that negative thoughts can easily creep in, especially when tackling that steep hill!
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I'm shedding pounds like no tomorrow, unfortunately, they are pounds sterling, not the flabbly ones I take with me everywhere!

I'm loosing weight, so I thought it's only fair that my bike should loose some as well, with my new found enthusiasm, I'm upgrading all the bits that have annoyed me for years, and my bike is getting lighter :).....though I've found the easiest (and by far the cheapest) wya to lighten the load is get on my bike and cycle...there's no chance I can knock 2 stone off my bike, me on the other hand, we'll see how it goes!! ;)

FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Hi all, this is my first post.

The word "inspirational" has been used many times during the course of this thread, I have to say I feel truly inspired to know that there are others out there in the same situation as me, and more importantly, doing something about it.

I'm 6 foot, and weigh 23 stone, but I do have a huge frame, I'm as wide as the doorways at home. As an ex rugby player my size and weight was never really a problem as I was very fit.

I gave my jobs up (design engineer and doorman) to look after my mother when she was diagnosed with cancer, now 2 years on she is better, and I'm 4 stone heavier, my fault for sitting at a computer all day eating and drinking.

So, enough is enough, no more beer, try to eat sensibly and buy a bike tomorrow. So if I can be advised otherwise, I will be the owner of a Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc in 2 days on my 38th birthday.
  • Great to read of your exploits Dave - and to know you're still at it. This is the time of year when the cycling gets tougher. Dark, cold nights don't encourage you to venture out. Good lights and warm, winterproof clothing are a must - but are expensive. Think how much you've saved on junk food when you make your purchases, I bought a turbo trainer to use in the garage last year. Used it ONCE! I was bored stiff, missing the sights and the fresh air. Truth is that this series of postings inspire me much more. Can we keep motivating one another through the winter? Then report back in January on the weight we've lost (in my case in ounces if not grams). Brrr ... let's get ready to roll.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Good to hear you're still going strong Dave!

All of your old WMB forum mates wish you all the best!

Or you could pop in & say Hi, just click the link in my sig ;)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • snooks
    Woodywmb wrote:
    Think how much you've saved on junk food when you make your purchases

To justify spending money (like we all have to :wink: ) I just think how much I've saved by not going to a gym!...and then spend that money on my bike and clothing/gear for me....OK I'm not actually "saving" the money, but at least I have something to show for it. Rather than a gym membership which is spending money you don't "see"

Keep at it, you know you'll feel better after the ride...and just look forward to you're next target, whether it's 1kg less, a pound less, the moving to the next half stone or 5 kg or my personal fave, the step from one stone to a lighter one. Funny how I seem to work harder to get to the next lighter stone as I see it coming :roll:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    The news at the moment is always about people becoming more obese yet it's funny what triggers us xxl's to finally get on our bikes and do something about it. Nobody or nothing could really have convinced me to lose weight by dieting, yet getting the bike out was so easy and losing the inches has been so enjoyable.

Maybe we should all appear in some advert - out enthusiasm and impressive results might convince a few others !
  • I will be the owner of a Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc in 2 days on my 38th birthday.

Another late thirty-something person, of those of us admitting an age I have counted at least 7 around the 37 38 mark surely not a coincidence.
    I know I'm having a bit of an early mid-life crisis, but if it gets me of my backside and I finally sort my life out it's worth all the BIG 40 trauma.
    We've got to keep this going then in 2 years we can get together compare notes and have a joint 40th Birthday party on top of a muddy mountain somewhere.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence, then success is sure."
  • Hi all, I know it's not Monday yet but I thought I'd drop a line anyway as I seem to have half hour free.

This week has been great so far; My eating has been exactly to plan thus far, and I have cycled twice - both good, enjoyable rides. I had my pedal-arm replaced today as it was wobbling a little. My next ride will be tomorrow and then Sunday to equal my current best of four rides in a week which I set last week. I am hopeful that I will not only get below the 21st mark Monday, but also that I will have lost in total the weight of my 2 and a half year old son. Time will tell.

I'll be back Monday, hope you're all having good weeks too.

Dave
  • ratty2k
    Well, the dieting hasn't gone so well. BUT I have been on the bike everyday since 31st August- mainly due to problems with a car I'm buying, just totalled up the mileage and thats over 200 miles in that period- which is f'ing brilliant for me!
    Not put any weight on so thats good! Just need to get more grip on the eating, not suffering ANY cravings for the ciggies at all, and I dont miss them either- and in 9 days time that'll be 6 months without! Yey, go me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My Pics !

• dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Hi Ratty,

I found it much easy to cycle when I didn't have the car (Cambelt replaced - engine out BIG JOB!!). It's always hard to set off to work when your car is sitting on the drive.

I must admit I've not managed a full week this month, do 4 instead of 5 days, oh and I always ride on Sunday!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • ratty2k
    Oh, I seem to be riding a lot of Sundays. All still on a commute tho' :( Id need the car sorted out, going on hols soon and need it for then, plus I want to get back out on some better trails. Booked myself and a mate to do Penmachno next week, gonna play hell with the garage if my cars not ready!
    My Pics !

• Weigh in day again - I came in at 20st13.75lbs, a weekly loss of 2lb and overall loss of 33.25lbs. I have surpassed two milestones this week - I have broken through the 21st mark (this is the lowest weight i have been seen February last year), and I have now lost more than my youngest son weighs (he weighs 31lbs). My other son weighs 44lbs at the moment so that is another milestone for me at some point in the future. It is odd to think of my weight loss in terms of the weight of a fellow human - every time i pick him up (not with my bad back!) i can actually feel in real terms the difference this programme has made to me.

I had four rides again this week, same as last week, and for now at least I am happy to stick with that. I am definitely feel more comfortable with the ride, felt like I was a rocket last night but neglected to time it lol. Am sure I beat my 45min mark, my legs felt like they were attached to an engine, it felt surreal. Rather than increase the amount of rides I have, or even to necessarily try to improve on my timing, I will look to increase the length of the ride by varying the route. But not yet! I am happy that my back pain hasn't interrupted my riding but don't wanna push my luck until it has got better.

Lost-Time - You pose an interesting point. You would rather be fit enough to complete a steep ride than be the right size. I would like to say I agree, but don't. Having been the size of a Goodyear Blimp most of my life I can say without any doubt that I would rather be the right size. I guess we are looking at the same thing from different perspectives. Perhaps if you had been my size for so long you would agree! But perhaps not, we are all different at the end of the day. Besides which, the point is fruitless as I can already scale big hills (and getter better daily) and one day I will be the right size! Yay

HJ1976 - I'm glad for you that you have a riding buddy. I have a buddy in the USA I met through this forum and though we cannot ride together, it is priceless to have someone to share the ups and downs with, and definitely makes sticking to plans much easier. Once we have both reached our goal weights I will be going over to the USA to meet her and have a ride. Although we're a little way off that yet!

Big Trunks - I have taken on board your point of not riding every night. I too have found my stamina and strength has improved immensely. Although i ride less miles than you, and on-road, I have found I am using higher gears to get up hills, and looking for higher gears which don't exist on the fast sections as I feel like I can do more! The break between rides definitely helps.

Snooks - I was told when I first bought this bike that I would either end up putting it in a shed and leaving it to gather dust, or become a bike nut and look for ways to improve it. I am glad to say I am definitely the latter. Financially, I can't do anything to my bike, but I am glad to say that nothing is urgent. I would like to get an on board computer sometime to show my speed/distance/etc, and slick tyres and SPDs are maybes too. I will be asking for LBS vouchers for Xmas! Wish me luck lol. What have you upgraded on your bike?

Granpa Munster - Glad to hear your mum has made a full recovery. I was almost 24stone in January, and though never a rugby player am probably a similar frame to you, so I can relate to how you feel. Let us know which bike you went for, and keep us posted with your results as they come in.

WoodyWMB - Hello again mate, I am actually not concerned with the Winter months (he says with confidence before they arrive!). Following my accidental ride in the rain a couple of weeks ago, and my foray through some frozen fog earlier this week, I am confident I will ride through anything. The problem is a can't afford any gear (anyone who sells winter gear that wants to 'sponsor' me or advertise on me, or even run a winter test PLS let me know lol). I will continue to wear what I have been wearing, and wrap the stuff inside my bag in a carrier bag. We will see if I am as keen as I think I will be lol.

Andy_B - Hi mate. Thanks for the well wishes, I have favourited the site and will pop in from time to time. I had concerns that the momentum of this thread had been lost with the change over to the new site but I am glad to say it is now better than ever!

NickyUK - I agree totally, for something so easily accessible and so well known to everyone, cycling really is a very well kept secret. We could become the 'Dove' Guys - the realistic people on their bikes. Though I'm not convinced I'd do an advert in my undies lol.

Maddra - What a great idea! I just hope 32 year olds will be invited too!

Ratty2K - Nice one for keeping off the fags, and for the cycling effort. When i stopped smoking, it was about a year before i stopped considering myself an ex-smoker, and became a non-smoker. I ate loads, and put on loads of weight (didn't have cycling in my life back then). It wasnt a problem, mind you, as I was more interested in making sure I kept off the fags. Us ex-xmokers know what you are going through, so keep it up. I am a little ahead of you (stopped smoking Xmas Day 2005) and can tell you with absolute certainty that it is worth bearing with. Keep us posted.

DSMIFF - Hi. I only came to riding in the first place because I have 'temporarily' lost my driving licence, so I can relate to what you say! Having said that, as a train driver I get free train travel, yet I now find I am more likely to want to ride than jump on the train. If i was reading this thread from 2 or 3 years ago in my life I wouldn't believe it lol.

That's enough of me for the week, please keep in touch you lot and anyone who hasn't posted here yet please do so - we are in this together.

Dave
  • Granpa Munster - Glad to hear your mum has made a full recovery. I was almost 24stone in January, and though never a rugby player am probably a similar frame to you, so I can relate to how you feel. Let us know which bike you went for, and keep us posted with your results as they come in.

Hi Dave, glad to see things are going well for you. Last time I decided to lose weight and get fit I was 18, and weighed 18.5 stone, I wish I was that light now.

I got a letter from Coventry Rugby Club asking me to attend trials, I lost 4 stones in 2 months. I'm a prop and was quicker than the backrow. Spent 5 seasons playing for Coventry. Only downside was I seemed to have caused myself to become diabetic losing the weight.

Anyway, Saturday I bought a Trek 6700. Sunday I went for a ride, just 5 miles, but it was my first in 15 years. I just want to build up steadily, I have a habit of over doing things.

My arse is a bit sore, to be expected really, but not as sore as my shoulders and neck, I don't think I bent the bars, I'll have a check in a while.

The new bike is not as quick as my old one, Suzuki 1200 Bandit, but that was never going to get me fit.

I'm off for a ride.
  • For many years I considered myself fit and active, but a series of injuries to my bottom half (think of a joint, and it broke) put paid to most of my exercise. I still managed the walk to the pub but that was about it. Then I moved jobs, it is on the edge of too far to walk but not far enough to justify using the car, so I bought a bike. After the first week I was extending the journey both too and from work as it felt good to be active again.

This was last summer, I continued with it all through winter and never suffered from the winter blues that grip so many people. It dies take some dedication and that PMA to go out and cycle 10 - 20 miles on a dark, cold and wet morning. I stopped the pub walks and spent the not inconsiderable amount of saved money on proper cycling gear (like overshoes and warm cycling tights) and just did it without 'thinking'. This summer I bought a much lighter bike, a whole stone lighter, and got much more serious about the whole thing. I am not very over weight but lost a stone since mid July and feel like another half would do me good. I am 5' 11" and 14 stone now. I eat healthyish, and know I could eat better, but you have to live a little. :D
  • ratty2k
    14ST is my target weight. I think I'll be just right at that, so just another 3st to go! DaveP, glad to see you back and doing well! If you feel more comfortable with the ride, I think now is the time to extend it a bit? No need to go mad (as you will no doubt realise!) but just 10 mins or so extra per ride, will give you the same as 5 rides a week.
    Well worth considering IMO.
    I know that I can do 28Km off road and be knajkered after it, but a 25 mile road ride in around 1hr 30 causes no real problems. Also, I decide to go for a walk for a change- not done any since I was much younger. Went up RIvington pike- not huge but gives the old leg muscles something else to do. Weather was 'orrible, but glad I did it. Pics in sig of the walk.... if you are interested.

Edit: weighed myself this morning, and to my delight, I can report that I'm 16st 9! Have been eating more sensibly and all the riding has obviously helped. Really glad to be under 17St! :D
    My Pics !

• snooks
    Snooks - I was told when I first bought this bike that I would either end up putting it in a shed and leaving it to gather dust, or become a bike nut and look for ways to improve it. I am glad to say I am definitely the latter. Financially, I can't do anything to my bike, but I am glad to say that nothing is urgent. I would like to get an on board computer sometime to show my speed/distance/etc, and slick tyres and SPDs are maybes too. I will be asking for LBS vouchers for Xmas! Wish me luck lol. What have you upgraded on your bike?

Well worth getting a computer, just one that tells you your speed/distance and time taken is all you really need, it's just fun to try to keep up the same speed going up a slight hill...it's also good to see the miles rack up.

Slicks and spds make a real difference as well - My slicks were £21 from Ebay (or £24 from wiggle) smoother and faster....and I really notice the difference with spds, and don't know why I didn't change sooner (£18 Ebay)

As for upgrading, since deciding to get back on my bike, first I had to get it road worthy again, this included:

new rapidfire thumb shifters
    new crank
    new bottom bracket (because of the new crank)
    new chainrings
    new chain
    new cassette
    new gear cables

After spending that lot on my bike I felt obliged to use it, just so I didn't waste my money!!

Then, after getting back on the road/tracks I've found other things to replace (thanks to Retrobike - a place for peeps with old bikes) such as:

pedals -from toe clips to spds -new
    better handlbars - Alloy instead of steel - newish
    seat post - changed to black and better quality - new
    black deore XT U brake - advised by LBS said if my existing U brake went, it would would be hard to find another - Used
    bar ends - Always wanted Onza bar ends as a kid, got some now - Used
    sadle - went for a Selle Italia Flite - Still got to break it in, but went for the one with the hole in, much better for relieving the pressure, and my bike feels a lot more responsive (I can feel every bump!) but much more comfy in the long run :0) - New

Just got old deore xt (canti) brake levers, on long rides with a lot of steep decents my hands would ache, so hopefully this will sort it out - Used

In the last 16 years I think I spent around £190, this year I'm making up for it! :roll:

Problem is the more I use my bike, the more I find I'd like to change...if I'd left it the garage I'd be fat with money, but I wouldn't change the way I am now...well only for the better! :D

ps - Thanks to all this biking malarky, I'm the proud owner of two bikes, I've now got a second frame, an unwanted rebuild, which I've just turned into my commuter (lighter, with slicks, lights, a mudguard or two) All worked out cheaper than a second set of good wheels for my old bike, and I don't have to swap things over all the time.
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Ratty2K, you mention Rivi Pike is it local to you and if so where is the local loop in your pics. I am from Astley Nr Leigh so not that far from Rivi.
    petesig.jpg
  • Wow this thread is amazing.

Does anyone know how many cals you burn up on a average mile bike ride?
    Cheers
  • BritMark - I'm not sure that can be answered. Your average ride would be different to mine and anyone else's. Calories burned would depend on how fast you were pedalling, how hard you were pedalling, what gear, gradient, etc. Too many variables to give a figure. You could invest in an on-board computer which would tell you what you want to know specifically based on your ride and it also tells you lots of other stuff too. They can be picked up quite cheap (Aldi hasd an excellent deal recenltly but I believe that has ended).

Full update tomorrow morning.
  • Aldi bike promo doesn't start to Thursday but I don't see any bar fitting computers on the pre-publicity. http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/
    Tesco have cheap ones if you want a bargain starter model. Or check the brand names on Google Products (cheapest to dearest in order)
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    britmark wrote:
    Wow this thread is amazing.

Does anyone know how many cals you burn up on a average mile bike ride?
    Cheers

If you work on 8 kCals/ min as an average for 12 - 14mph, that's not too far off. Remember though that includes your normal base metabolism, but then a bit of exercise boosts yr metabolism for hours after you've finished, so it all works out about right in the end

Nick
    (40,000 kCals in 4 months - thats nearly 11lb of blubber gone :-) )