Very overweight - where can i start?

Comments

• You'll not believe what happened to me tonight? Nothing! Nothing at all! I couldn't believe it myself. I went an extra station tonight, probably a total of about 4 or more miles. I only stopped once as i thought i could feel the pedal coming loose again but it seems to have been my imagination. I reckon i could have gone to the next one easily enough but didnt want to risk doing too much too soon and possibly slow myself down in the long run. Will probably aim for the same journey tomorrow, perhaps doing it a little faster. But then perhaps not. Getting there is more important to me than doing it in any particular time. My bum isn't hurting nearly as much as it had been, though maybe that's more to do with the massive seat i fitted than getting used to it. Means to an end. My wrists ached again a bit this evening but not too bad. Keep adjusting my grip and it seems to help a little. Guess it will all get easier as i get used to it. The gears seem to be confusing me. I get that i have 3 on the lhs and 9 on the rhs giving me a total of 27 gears to choose from. I also get that for steeper climbs i want lower gears and for steep drops higher gears, but can't get my head around which are which! Dumb, I know. I take it 1 (lhs) - 1 (rhs) is the lowest setting and that 3-9 would be the highest? Also, is 1-9 one setting below 2-1 or doesnt it work like that. At the moment i am leaving the lhs in 2 and adjusting the rhs between 1 and 9 to help. I also seem to get a very annoying rattle from the gears sometimes as I'm going along. Is there something i can adjust to stop it? Haven't I gone on? It's half one and i should be in bed now but i seem to be buzzing from my ride. Must sleep. Thanks for your comments. I'll be back ... p.s. i have just ordered the Zinn book to teach me how to look after my bike properly. Can't have any more pedals falling off now can I?
    - Each new day is a gift, that\'s why it's called the present -
  • gary_fisher3
    gary_fisher3 Posts: 3,466
    I'm glad you're getting into riding. There's probably not much you could of done about the pedal. This is either a poor quality crank / bottom bracket or someone just didn't build it right.

Your bike effectively has 3 gear ranges. Some of the gears in the lowest range (1) will be the same as the gears in the next range (2). So no, 2,1 isn't the next gear up from 1-9. You should try and avoid extreme ratios like 1-9 3-1
  • freakybacon
    freakybacon Posts: 36
    Hi Dave, been following your progress and just wanted to say- well done and stick with it! I have got a Kraken too, mainly set up for riding to work with semi slick tyres, lights and clipless pedals.

Keep going fella!

The beatings, horsewhippings and torture will continue until performance improves to an acceptable level. This may take some time.
    The beatings, horsewhippings and torture will continue until performance improves to an acceptable level. This may take some time.
  • Thanks for the answers and feedback. I will avoid using extreme ratios and have some more practice. Does it take getting used to or am i just being anal? What difference do clipless pedals make to a ride? Or clipped ones for that matter? I have just the basic ones. I am beasting myself today cos i wimped out of a ride home due to the inclement weather. What a wuss eh? Will have to make up for it. Forecast isn't good mind you ...
  • sylphie74
    sylphie74 Posts: 8
    OK.. I'm inspired! I'm way overweight, too, and bought a bike about a year ago with lots of good intentions. Then rode it once around my neighborhood, had a sore behind, and haven't been on it since.

But it sounds like a bigger seat and perseverance are all I need to get going again, so I'll be going to my local bike shop tomorrow to get set up with what I need. Thanks for sharing your encouraging stories, hope I'll be able to add my own soon.

Embrace uncertainty.
    Embrace uncertainty.
  • gary_fisher3
    gary_fisher3 Posts: 3,466
    Pedals used to hold the foot in place via a strap over the shoe. To allow the rider to get their foot in/out there was a clip/release catch on the strap.

Clipless pedals were introduced to do away with this dangerous strap and having to reach down and undo a clip. Unfortunately, because you fasten your foot into clipless pedal by 'clipping in' the name can be very confusing.

Flat pedals (like you've got now) don't attempt to hold the foot onto the pedal. They're often preferred by beginners and MTBs because theres nothing stopping you getting your foot down quickly.

<b>Once you're used to the bike</b> I would definitely get a set of clipless pedals. Basically clipless pedals will increase your power output by allowing you to easily pull up on the pedals as well as push down. This is why nearly all experianced road racers use them!
  • freakybacon
    freakybacon Posts: 36
    Don't blame you for "wimping out" of the ride due to lousy weather. Used to do that myself, until I bought a proper riding jacket- got lucky with the aldi discount stuff a few weeks back! Now its more likely to be a windy day that really puts me off riding to work, but I try to tell my body the extra resistance is doing me good.... and once I am there, then half the job is done! Should it rain on the way back, I'm gonna get wet anyway because I am off in the shower.

Stick at it- soon you will feel guilty for not riding. Thats when I knew I was getting fit.
  • sylphie74
    Dave, I spent $400 today because of you! lol... just kidding. But you did inspire me to act on what I've only been thinking about, and I went out and bought a Raleigh Venture 4.0 today. I LOVE it. I'm soooo out of shape, though. Rode a measley 1.5 miles this afternoon, and my legs were trembling when I got off. But, at least it's a starting point!

I also need to re-learn how to steer... lol. It doesn't quite come back to you, like the saying suggests it should. Oh well - I'm sure it'll all be natural again after a little practice.

So, Thank you!
    Embrace uncertainty.
  • This thread is incredibly exciting to me! I am so happy to hear everone getting excited about biking. I'm from the States so I don't really know what the deuce a "stone" is, but I am glad that people are using cycling to get rid of them.

Dave, you are an inspiration, keep up the good work, brother!

Sylphie, glad to here about your new bike purchase, tear it up!
  • Holy Crap! Sylphie, I just noticed that you are from Fayetteville! I moved to Scottsdale from Fayetteville. I used to work in Bentonville!
  • Thanks, Alasdair! What a pleasent method of anouncing a person's weight. I would much rather say that I'm at 14 stones than 200lbs.

Seems like alot of math though, counting stones...uh times 14...converting to pebbles...carry the one...
  • Hi all. Weather has been ok this evening so i biked home the last three miles. Did it in about 15-20 minutes which isn't going to get me done for speeding (again) but is certainly more respectable than the 30 minutes it took me the first few times. Gonna stick to the new pace now (assuming my legs work in the morning) and do it over and over and over until i feel ready to lengthen the journey. The seat has already stopped causing any problems (though i did buy a BIG gelled jobbie to help!), my hands/wrists still hurt a little but i was much further through my journey before they hurt so they must be acclimatising as it were and i suspect they will cease being a problem soon. Can't believe how easy it already seems compared to the first few times i did it. I ought to add a disclaimer that i am not responsible for mass financial expenditures due to people catching the get fit/lose weight bug from me!But of course I wish you all well and make sure you stay in touch.
  • sylphie74
    MasteWu, that's quite a coincidence! Maybe when I've made a little progress, you can share some tips on places to ride around here. I'm SCARED of getting out in traffic... lol.
    Embrace uncertainty.
  • RobS
    RobS Posts: 131
    good on you Dave :)

Its hard work right at the beginning but you will be suprised how much further you can go quickly. I started out and doing 1-2 miles w
    on a flat track was hard for me but now im up to 10-15 miles, and hoping to get to 50+ within the next few months.

Keep trucking, and keep updating us as well :)

Cheers,

Rob

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">My Site - <font color="brown">robandgem.net</font id="brown">
    My Ride - <font color="red">Kona Hoss '06</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    -Rob

Kona Hoss 06
    My Site - www.robandgem.net
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sylphie74</i>

... Rode a measley 1.5 miles this afternoon, and my legs were trembling when I got off. But, at least it's a starting point!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That was me six weeks ago. Now I'm doing about 6 miles daily after work and it's more down to time constraints rather than legs giving out that I don't go further. Having said that, my boss is on holiday this week so might sneak off early to squeeze an extra mile in [;)]

So, just keep at it. If I can do it (after 21 years of inactivity) then anybody can.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • karentaylor
    karentaylor Posts: 12
    Good luck Dave!! I too am on a mission to rid myself of the lard that built up following a back injury. Now I am back in the saddle and raring to go!
    Keep going, don't quit and before you know it, we will both be a shadow of our former selves!
    [;)]

"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on."
    "If you worried about falling off the bike, you\'d never get on."
  • Aux1
    Aux1 Posts: 865
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davepiggott13</i>

Hi all. Weather has been ok this evening so i biked home the last three miles. Did it in about 15-20 minutes which isn't going to get me done for speeding (again) but is certainly more respectable than the 30 minutes it took me the first few times. Gonna stick to the new pace now (assuming my legs work in the morning) and do it over and over and over until i feel ready to lengthen the journey. The seat has already stopped causing any problems (though i did buy a BIG gelled jobbie to help!), my hands/wrists still hurt a little but i was much further through my journey before they hurt so they must be acclimatising as it were and i suspect they will cease being a problem soon. Can't believe how easy it already seems compared to the first few times i did it. I ought to add a disclaimer that i am not responsible for mass financial expenditures due to people catching the get fit/lose weight bug from me!But of course I wish you all well and make sure you stay in touch.

When I read your posts, the best thing is that you seem so enthusiastic about it. You have to like it to succeed and it seems you definitely will! Just wait 'til you get in shape, try some offroad tracks, some descents... [:)]
    You're a slim man by sometime next year I think! [:D]

Btw I went out with a phat bird from the internet last night lol [:D]
    I knew she was like 15 stones but personality-wise she's so damn cool and I really enjoyed talking and drinking with her on a park bench [:D] I'll give her this link lol... hope she gets inspired. I'd buy her a bike myself if I knew she'd ride it and start being sexy in a few months [:p][:D]

<font size="1">To clip or not to clip, that is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind of men to suffer the dings and contusions of unclipp'd riding, or to bind thy feet against a sea of gnarly singletrack and by these contraptions, ride o'er them with ease. To clip... to slip no more, and by clipping to end the buttache and the thousand natural shocks that ryders are heir to; tis a consummation devoutly to be honed. No clip - to slip perchance to be thrashed most heinously...</font id="size1">

KTM Ultra Flite 2007
  • Wolf
    Wolf Posts: 989
    And they say romance is dead... [:D]

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07
    RobS Posts: 131
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Aux1</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davepiggott13</i>

Hi all. Weather has been ok this evening so i biked home the last three miles. Did it in about 15-20 minutes which isn't going to get me done for speeding (again) but is certainly more respectable than the 30 minutes it took me the first few times. Gonna stick to the new pace now (assuming my legs work in the morning) and do it over and over and over until i feel ready to lengthen the journey. The seat has already stopped causing any problems (though i did buy a BIG gelled jobbie to help!), my hands/wrists still hurt a little but i was much further through my journey before they hurt so they must be acclimatising as it were and i suspect they will cease being a problem soon. Can't believe how easy it already seems compared to the first few times i did it. I ought to add a disclaimer that i am not responsible for mass financial expenditures due to people catching the get fit/lose weight bug from me!But of course I wish you all well and make sure you stay in touch.

When I read your posts, the best thing is that you seem so enthusiastic about it. You have to like it to succeed and it seems you definitely will! Just wait 'til you get in shape, try some offroad tracks, some descents... [:)]
    You're a slim man by sometime next year I think! [:D]

Btw I went out with a phat bird from the internet last night lol [:D]
    I knew she was like 15 stones but personality-wise she's so damn cool and I really enjoyed talking and drinking with her on a park bench [:D] I'll give her this link lol... hope she gets inspired. I'd buy her a bike myself if I knew she'd ride it and start being sexy in a few months [:p][:D]

<font size="1">To clip or not to clip, that is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind of men to suffer the dings and contusions of unclipp'd riding, or to bind thy feet against a sea of gnarly singletrack and by these contraptions, ride o'er them with ease. To clip... to slip no more, and by clipping to end the buttache and the thousand natural shocks that ryders are heir to; tis a consummation devoutly to be honed. No clip - to slip perchance to be thrashed most heinously...</font id="size1">

KTM Ultra Flite 2007

HAHA cracked me up man![:D][:D]

Dave, last night i rode a freeride trail, only 3km long but really technical (for me) and had a blast!

Must of looked a bit off this 23 stone mammoth flying past screaming with joy but, to be honest, i don't care.

Get out there and enjoy it, it feels great :D

Cheers,

Rob

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">My Site - <font color="brown">robandgem.net</font id="brown">
    My Ride - <font color="red">Kona Hoss '06</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    -Rob

Kona Hoss 06
    My Site - www.robandgem.net
  • Wolf
    Wolf Posts: 989
    http://www.georgehart.com/BM06/mammoth.jpg

Made me laugh, the mammoth on a bike idea [:D]

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
    GT Avalanche 1.0 07
  • Great to read your posts, thanks. All is good in my world. Have adopted a healthy eating pattern with a friend i met through this site and we're helping each other to stick to it. Not at work for a few days now (not complaining mind you) so i'm not gonna get my 3 miles home. Have been to the park today with the kids and wife on our bikes. More tiring to go up and down the hills and over the grass than to ride home steadily! If the weather stays dry (bit of a wuss i know) we'll do the same each day i'm off. And if for some reason we dont go to the park i'll take the bike on the train to the next stop and cycle home (that is the 3 miles i've been riding as i have gotten off a stop earlier). If things progress as they have been i'm almost ready to get off two stops earlier but not quite yet. i already feel fitter. Thanks again all
  • Sylphie, when you feel confident about it, you should start off at city lake. I'm sure you know where it's at, but if not, it's on the North end of town. The best trail head for you is on the North side of the lake (pond) by the Lewis & Clark store (just keep driving down that road by locomotion). The trail is 6 miles around the lake and starts off easier on that North side. You'll have to go as far as you want, then turn back at first...but it won't take too long 'til you can just do the whole loop.

Baby steps, sylphie, just do the bare minimum at first...walk what you are not comfortable riding. Maybe get a book on the basics of mountain biking before you get too ruckus with it. It can be easy to injur yourself if you don't work your way up to it all; I've got a few scars and broken bones to prove it. :) But overall the sport has been good to me, it is a great outlet for stress, and it's a Jimmy Walker Good Time...and you get fit doing it.
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Dave,

How old are the kids? It was playing football with mine (and almost dying) that inspired me to do something about my fitness.

My eldest is now eight and he has become my riding buddy at the weekends, I have to be careful with how I eat because if I overdo it on Saturday, I'll struggle against him on Sunday.

My Photo's
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/98234388@N00
    My Video's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW6DI7u19lM
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • How rude is that? I haven't introduced my family ... My wife Alison is 30-something, and she has also bought a new bike for the same reasons as i have, though she is a full-time mum/housewife/cleaner/cook/organiser/etc i could go on of course, so doesn't have a commute as such. I have two boys, Taylor who has recently turned 5 and Charlie who is 2. We have been very lucky to have two such well behaved (mostly) kids. And they are very lucky to have two parents who both know what it's like to be overweight and unfit and who will not allow it to happen to them! The boys both ride (Charlie with stabilizers at the minute). Can't wait for them to be a bit bigger so we can have a proper ride on a trails - at the minimum i need to get the stabilizers off Charlie's bike. They are both very confident so it won't be long.At the mo we are stuck at the park but there's a few hills and trees to cycle round so it's better than nothing. Finding biking (and a certain other member of this forum who has been very supportive)have been the best things that could have happened to all my family health-wise and i am so very grateful for everything. I promise that's the last time i will gush publicly but hopefully you get the message. I'll be in touch. p.s. just tried to fit a side stand (paint seems to scratch very easily if it stands up against something)but it doesn't fit in nicely due to the front gear cable, and not only that doesn't reach the floor easily either! Bloomin' typical lol
  • Beebs
    Beebs Posts: 12
    Hi Dave. Stick at it mate. I got my first new bike since I was *&%^$ years old last year and I love it. It was tough at first, as I've not done any real exercise for about 15 years, but it doesn't take long to get the fitness back. I'm still over 17 stone, but I ride my bike to work every day now. It's 4.5 miles if I go direct across town, but these days I take the scenic route which is over 10 miles, but along the local canal. It was hard going at first, but I feel it getting easier all the time.

Small changes at first. Noticed that hills were being taken a gear higher than before, now I notice that the same hills are a whole front cog higher and whereas I used to struggle in bottom ratio and lowest gear, I now go up in mid ratio and 2nd or 3rd. My missus has always been a lot fitter than me (in more ways than one[;)]) and she used to leave be behind when we first started cycling together, now she can't keep up.

It's superb mate and you'll be flying in no time at all. My car's MOT ran out in February but since I've got the bike bug, it's sat in the driveway ever since. I now take my bike everywhere - shopping the lot. Beware - it's a bit adictive!!![8D]
  • Beebs, you are in the place i am aiming for. glad it has worked out so well for you. I know it will work as well for me too. I cant believe it has taken me so long to find biking! Better late than never though. worked out the mileage from my next station back from home and it is a trip of 5.5 miles to my house. not quite ready for that yet but won't be long. supplementing my commutes with trips to the park with my boys. Great fun. Have never ridden just to ride before. Always because i had to get somewhere. i'v been missing out all these years, but the secret's out! lol

If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
  • parkpre
    parkpre Posts: 32
    Haven't read all the replies, so apologies if I'm repeating anything...

Buy a Giant XTC XS for around œ600- i had one- superb hard-tail bike with an unbreakable frame and nice components.

As for weight-loss, I've recently lost 10kg (in 2 months) using the following combination of life-style changes:
    -no more beer during the week
    -soup for tea (decent stuff- try Covent Garden- loads of variety)- easy to digest
    -bought a decent excercise bike- 10 KMs a night at the right HR zone for fat burn
    -religiously have 1 day every weekend to myself for MBing (I'm lucky enough to have a chilled out wife)
    -bought a decent full floater (Commencal Meta)- the nicer the bike, the more you want to ride

As well as the weight loss, I have tonnes more energy and am far more chilled. Good luck to you good buddy!
  • taffyracer
    taffyracer Posts: 52
    Dave, I'm a similar positon to you, put on 4 stone over the last few years since giving up rugby and smoking and have just started a diet and new exercise programme and have literally just bought a bike to ride to my office when I can to aid that. Just wanted to say good luck fella, it's really good to see that it's working for you.

Oh one other thing, if you keep getting off the train a few stops earlier each time, who's driving the train?![:)]

http://www.xlmotorsport.com Racing into the future
  • Neglected my biking duties yesterday evening in favour of a poker night at a mates house. We all need our vices eh? Is it bad that i don't even feel bad? lol (Yes i won). Went to make up for it at the park today with the family only to find out that somewhere between loading the bikes onto the car and taking them off at the park my back tyre blew out. Grrrrr. Cue me spending an hour watching them ride round the park while i stewed. Straight down to Halfords for some answers i went. Very glad to say they fixed it almost immediately under warranty as the rim tape wasnt doing it's job so blew it from the inside. I think i have read elsewhere that this can be a problem for the Krakens. All fixed now, and ready for a park or beach trip tomorrow. I'm sure there are some lovely bikes out there, and some time in the future when i am lighter and fitter i may well look into an upgrade. For now at least my Kraken is a lot more bike that i need - I'll just be glad for it to stay 'match fit' as it were. Taffyracer - as for who's driving the train, they drive themselves. Train drivers just sit there twiddling their thumbs doing nothing all day. Or so most of the commuters would have you think lol.

If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space.