Summer drinks - this Saturday! See first page for details.

Comments

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    As has been previous said big thatnks to LiT for organising this get together yesterday, thoroughly enjoyable afternoon with a nice spot of cycling and cycling related talk and telly to keep us entertained!

I think the nice chaps at the Roebuck need a thank you as well for putting up with a small army of cyclists and letting us watch Le Tour, mind you considering how much food and drink we purchased I think we deserved it!

Really good to put some more names to faces and CW if you are posting the pics you can stick them up on the events page on Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/home.php?src=ff ... 9753174239

Couple of last few mentions, cheers to Roger for taking me guiding me down to Kingston to a cash point, my sill fault for not stopping en-route really, but still I got to give Nightingale Lane a bash on the way back and can confirm its certainly fun! Last one goes out to Blu3cat for the ride home, came in helpful having someone to share the headwind with even tho I missed the turn off for the cyclelane on the A3 :shock: as for the chap we picked up after Coombe Lane and I can only assume the pace was a little to high for him to take a turn at the front ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Totalnewbie
    Totalnewbie Posts: 932
    Sorry I never made it :oops: I had been a dirty stop-out the previous night and was still only hauling myself out of the cafe where I'd had 'breakfast' at 4.30pm....

Glad you all had fun though! I *knew* the fun ride would be no such thing...!
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Great fun yesterday folks, a masshoof thanks to LiT for organising it, even if she did let the carbon super powers down by not being co-ordinated :wink:

I owe everyone an apology for disapearing off into the distance with IP, me uber competetive, surely not :shock: I don't know how I got the tag of border collie :lol: Just to reassure everone, I'm suffering for my efforts today, the back is letting me know it's there, and I can for the life of me work out what that dull throbbing is in my head, anyone would think I'd had a drink or two :roll:

It was great to see so many faces, I can't remember everyone, and it was good to see Redvee even if I didn't get to talk to him. I'll see you in Brizzle in September dude, it sounds like we've got a few more takers for the trip so it should be a good night out.

Chapeau to Ian, how you made it Nightingale Lane on your fixie I'll never know. You nearly gave me a heart attack on the way down though :shock: :shock: :shock:

Here's to the next one
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    :( I'm sorry I missed it. Long story, suffice to say it involves the words "aftermath" and "builders".
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Great fun, really good to see so many people and meet some new ones!

Left the pub at about 11:00, then rode around ealing looking for a curry house that was still open, found one then stayed up talking until stupid-o'clock.

Rowing this morning was hard work... I'll sleep well tonight!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Thanks for organising LiT - great fun, enjoyed it! Sadly, I did not get to meet you all due to time constraints with getting back to Brizzle....another day maybe?!

Great to ride with you all and have some fun - geared bike next time or a gear less than 85" to 87" on the fixie.....(several different calcs have different figures for my ratio!)

Just completed 70 miles in the wet in 3 hours 50 mins.....I hurt and need a hot bath....but I have to put pictures up and build some shelves. May have to take Wilma out on the MTB a bit later on - not looking forward to it....will this never end? :-(

Great to see you all though and put some names to some faces! Maybe see you on Facebook?!

ITB, you are quite simply the most puncture prone person ever on the planet - I think a Guiness world record is in order....!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sorry I missed it, sounds awesome!

Do my best to make the next one!

Though I had the most awesome day, ForeverNever were atonishing and Skindred amazing, spent all night moshing and rocking the night away!! "Throw your horns up!"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    NB, I was upset that I could not get my cigar out of the tube.....note to self, Don Ramos Churchill tubes do not fit Montecristo No 1's....

And back to a Martini, an electric drill and a phat ceegaaar.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Lovely day thanks - good to meet lots of new faces. Forgot that lights might be required for the ride home and made it just before we were completely engulfed by darkness... :oops:

CW - no problem with posting photos as far as I'm concerned....
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    The pics are now up on Facebook. I think you can tell it was a pretty miserable event :)
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I should also add to my earlier post, a massive thanks to Coriander for getting my drunken backside to Richmond station and on the train :lol::lol::lol: God knows where I'd have ended up without her
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    In photo 4 - why did Tony Robinson turn up in an orange top? :P

and who is the thigh God in photo 7? Did someone park a couple of small VW Beetles down there???? :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Nice shots Sonia, thanks for those. The 'thigh god' is Mark (BJUK) btw.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've got a beer belly. Tremendous.

(Poxy wind causing the shirt to billow. Honestly.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    cjcp wrote:
    I've got a beer belly. Tremendous.

(Poxy wind causing the shirt to billow. Honestly.)
    :lol::lol:

as for me, who on earth airbrushed my legs white? :shock:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    In photo 4 - why did Tony Robinson turn up in an orange top? :P

and who is the thigh God in photo 7? Did someone park a couple of small VW Beetles down there???? :shock:

:lol: I'm sure that comment will make my wife's day once she gets home!
    Excellent pics CW and I can confirm CJ comment about the wind billowing clothes, it was a *bit* windy up there but as we did comment at one point "The view is rather impressive" (our stoic British attitude shining through!)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    What a weekend's adventure, first time I've ever cycled in London...!

Great to meet everyone yesterday, I've completely lost track already of who was who but thanks to LiT for organising, Biondino for suggesting the offroad lap, someone (Fiona?) for keeping the beers coming, someone else (Chris ?) for managing the kitty, and everyone else for the chat & welcoming a relative noob out-of-towner. To anyone I didn't manage to speak to, apologies - next time.

Full marks to the offroading carbon roadies, it was very kind of you all to risk your pride & joys to accompany me, the sole MTBer, on the dirt track lap:-)

I made my sat-nav-assisted way to Crouch End with no mishaps, promptly wolfed a mahoosive curry and was asleep by 10 !

Back home in the countryside now, coughing up the remnants of the London pollution and plotting how I can make it into town some Friday evening, this time on a slightly more appropriate bike...

:D
    Misguided Idealist
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Fireblade, what London pollution? :D

A bit windy yesterday and I can only admire those (foolhardy) people who stayed out in it rather than head into the Roebuck for warmth, food, chatting and (more) drinks.

Hmm, so one MTB and one hybrid. I think we should up the numbers next time 8)
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I'll be up for it next time! I had a little ride on Saturday anyway but wouldn't have been much good coming over to London with an early start this weekend.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • linsen
    Lovely to see everyone, look forward to the next one. Thanks for kicking us into action, Liv.

Next time I hope to average more than about 5mph round RP :oops:
  • stuaff
    linsen wrote:
    Lovely to see everyone, look forward to the next one. Thanks for kicking us into action, Liv.

5 mph.....balderdash. That was my speed :)
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    there's at least two pictures of @ss picking :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • linsen
    StuAff wrote:
    linsen wrote:

and if you remember correctly , I was just behind you ......

Frank is only just recovering from being beaten by a folding bike :wink:
  • stuaff
    linsen wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    linsen wrote:

and if you remember correctly , I was just behind you ......

Frank is only just recovering from being beaten by a folding bike :wink:

Well, who got back to the coffee shop first? Wasn't me, must have been you and Frank :)
  • linsen
    oh. sorry. Though I was following you most of the way round - impressive pace!
  • stuaff
    linsen wrote:
    oh. sorry. Though I was following you most of the way round - impressive pace!
    Why thank you. You were rather quick yourself!
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Thanks for organizing & good to meet you all; probably just as well I don't have a Facebook account!

Ian
  • Well it seemed a bit odd, as someone who tends to lurk on this board most of the time, to turn up on spec. And I wasn't sure I'd have the courage to do so. But I'm glad I did. Everybody was welcoming and it was good to put faces to names. I am now reading some of the posts on this forum in the accent of the poster. That feels weird.

Good idea from LiT - thank you for getting the ball rolling - and the venue was excellent, if somewhat, erm, bracing by the time I arrived just after that Independence Day-like black cloud. Still, the view was magnificent.

I did turn up late, so I will forgive CW for not numbering my bike amongst the non-drop bars there. Although I do prefer to think of it as a flat bar road bike :wink: .

And yes, I do agree that my forum name is really stupid, and easy to mishear, when I try to say it out loud :roll: - I'll have to give that some thought.

My highlight of the day? CP getting ready to leave urgently for a gig, and the Fixie Appreciation Society* then spending 15 minutes closely admiring his steed.

Perhaps I'll poke my head around at the Morpeth; but it'll feel a bit odd as it is my work's local. How will I explain to my colleagues why I'm talking about 'big rings' to people dressed in skin-tight lycra? :shock:

Stuart

* ©2009
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    duncedunce wrote:

My highlight of the day? CP getting ready to leave urgently for a gig, and the Fixie Appreciation Society* then spending 15 minutes closely admiring his steed.

Perhaps I'll poke my head around at the Morpeth; but it'll feel a bit odd as it is my work's local. How will I explain to my colleagues why I'm talking about 'big rings' to people dressed in skin-tight lycra? :shock:

Stuart

* ©2009

:lol: yes, luckily a lot of the way home was wind and hill assisted, plus the missus was late back from shopping, so no drama.

I'd suggest saying your going to the pub with mates... nice and generic...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Here's one more addition to the chorus thanking LiT for organising the meetup - charming bunch of people and a good yak made for a very nice Saturday afternoon. All that carbon-fibre on show inspired me to have a ride round the park before heading home, and I never ride for fun :)

Cheers, James