Cycling and Class

Comments

• Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    The school I went to would suggest I'm upper class.
    Everything else (the money my parents made, the way I speak, the university I'm going to) would suggest middle or upper middle class.

DDD's next thread: Cycling and Steak. Mine's a blue. (Upper class?)

You can tell a lot from a name...

<doffs cap>
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Everything else (the money my parents made, the way I speak, the university I'm going to) would suggest middle or upper middle class.

Working Class = You work to eat. If you do not work, you do not own enough capital to last long

Middle Class = You mediate the relations between working class and the capitalist class. Main obsessions include stuff like "speaking properly" and "manners". If you do not work, as above

Capitalist ("Upper") class = You do not need to work. However, you feel that your position in life means you have a right to tell other people what they should do.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965

Tim%2BNice%2BBut%2BDim.jpg
  • Rockbuddy
    Rockbuddy Posts: 243

I think it's a tad unlikely that posh_pedaller is actually Harry Enfield :wink:
  • always_tyred
    Rockbuddy wrote:

Yah, yah, you might be wite.
  • Rockbuddy
    Rockbuddy wrote:

Ya ya, dast ist so Ya !?! :)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Middle Class = You mediate the relations between working class and the capitalist class. Main obsessions include stuff like "speaking properly" and "manners". If you do not work, as above

The amount of Lawyers and Pedants on this website, I think my initial post is correct....
    Rockbuddy wrote:

Wow, you guys write like Lost_in_Thought speaks!!! :lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Rockbuddy
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Rockbuddy wrote:

Kinda ironic being that one of us is from Yorkshire and the other from ?Scotland? :lol:
    Point being in real life I bet we both sound as far from posh as possible :wink:
  • always_tyred
    Rockbuddy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Rockbuddy wrote:

Kinda ironic being that one of us is from Yorkshire and the other from ?Scotland? :lol:
    Point being in real life I bet we both sound as far from posh as possible :wink:
    I'm English though. There are no Scottish people left in Edinburgh.

I believe that the "poshest" accent in the UK (the usage closest to the Queen's English) is in Inverness.

Inverness is NOT posh.

Its all bollicks innit.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Rockbuddy wrote:

Hold on a minute there sunshine! I may speak properly, but I don't speak german.

Actually, I do speak german, just not in the pub.

Alright? Alles klar?
  • Rockbuddy
    Rockbuddy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Rockbuddy wrote:

I'm English though. There are no Scottish people left in Edinburgh.

I believe that the "poshest" accent in the UK (the usage closest to the Queen's English) is in Inverness.

Inverness is NOT posh.

Its all bollicks innit.

I agree it's non-sense, however when I hear someone with a plum English accent I do immediately think 'silver spoon' for no justifiable reason other than the accent :P

EDIT: Not that the accent is a justifiable reason :lol:
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Conversation between 10 year old boys in the back of the car after swimming:

Boy1: Bothered? Do I look bothered?
    Me: Bovvered
    Boy 2: I'm sorry?
    Me: It's bovvered, not bothered. BOV VERD.
    Boy 3: Ah, I see. Bothered? Do I look bothered?

You have to fear for them. :wink:
  • lost_in_thought
    Conversation between 10 year old boys in the back of the car after swimming:

Boy1: Bothered? Do I look bothered?
    Me: Bovvered
    Boy 2: I'm sorry?
    Me: It's bovvered, not bothered. BOV VERD.
    Boy 3: Ah, I see. Bothered? Do I look bothered?

You have to fear for them. :wink:

:lol:

But bovvered as opposed to bothered is all part of the joke! Bless 'em and their enunciation...

It was take your daughter to work day yesterday, had a remarkably bright and very well spoken 12-year-old in the RE team. Impressed, I was.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I don't have an accent.......I adopt wherever I happen to be......And it's Brizzle right now....Arrr!

Whur bee that blackbird at.....!
  • Rockbuddy
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I don't have an accent.......I adopt wherever I happen to be......And it's Brizzle right now....Arrr!

Mmm, I'm told I am picking up a Welsh twang in my Yorkshire accent :? Ah well better than sounding Posh I suppose :wink:
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

As in discussion with a waitress at a Argentinian restaurant in Kensington, I think... The way my steak is cooked depends on the cut.

If it is a rump, and these days it rarely is, I will have it medium, a well done rump is too tough to take... lol.

If sirloin, Ribeye or anything else, then I tend to go for a medium or if it looks like their medium is my version of rare then memdium to well-done.

I don't mind a little red. But I hate sticking a fork in my food and watching blood pour out.

:wink:

Major Tuttage,

You should rejoice in fresh blood.
    Imagine it is the blood of your scalped victims then, you should savour the taste & wash it down with a nice glass of Chianti :twisted:
    Volition & freedom is within the remit of a democratic society.

Not everybody agrees with your point of view though.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283

Cycling is a broad church which is unrestricted by concepts such as class. I hope :?

I'd like to think that is true.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Rockbuddy wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Mmm, I'm told I am picking up a Welsh twang in my Yorkshire accent :? Ah well better than sounding Posh I suppose :wink:

I keep on being asked where I'm from, on finding out someone asked me if I was a posh Australian! I didn't think we Australians did posh, except maybe LiT?

(OK, her avatar just looks posh...) :oops:
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • always_tyred
    reference to a house on one's parents' land kind of does it for me.... and going to oxford at least increases the probability..... but its okay to ignore me because I'm judgemental as a hobby...besides, what's wrong with being posh? Providing use of the word "hurrah" is minimized..
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    AT please speak up. I am a little deaf and you are mumbling. Clear pronunciation please, all that training at RADA must not go to waste.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • lost_in_thought
    reference to a house on one's parents' land kind of does it for me.... and going to oxford at least increases the probability..... but its okay to ignore me because I'm judgemental as a hobby...besides, what's wrong with being posh? Providing use of the word "hurrah" is minimized..

Hurrah! I can read it now... :wink:

And no, there's nothing wrong with speaking properly or going to Oxford.

Going to Cambridge, on the other hand... well. The less said the better. Poor souls.
  • always_tyred
    Going to Cambridge, on the other hand... well. The less said the better. Poor souls.
    The odd thing about all that rivalry guff is that they are basically exactly the same. One is flatter, I suppose. Its all just a bit silly when looked on from afar.
  • lost_in_thought
    The odd thing about all that rivalry guff is that they are basically exactly the same. One is flatter, I suppose. Its all just a bit silly when looked on from afar.

Pah, you think I'm not aware of that? I just like tab-baiting. :P

Actually, despite my loyalty to Oxford University, Cambridge as a town is a far nicer place.
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    In my limited experience the biggest difference in worldview and attitude is between those who have been to university, and those who haven't. I suppose there is also a gulf between those who work, and those who don't (i.e never had a job) - but then I don't know anyone from the latter category.

Working - university education
    Working - non university education
    Non working (NEETS?)
  • lost_in_thought
    Hmmmm, well I went, but then dropped out in my second year.

Where does that position me?
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    linoue wrote:
    In my limited experience the biggest difference in worldview and attitude is between those who have been to university, and those who haven't. I suppose there is also a gulf between those who work, and those who don't (i.e never had a job) - but then I don't know anyone from the latter category.

Working - university education
    Working - non university education
    Non working (NEETS?)

I think there is a lot of truth in this. I have mates my age that didn't go to uni and they are much more mature than me, own houses, married etc etc. Uni is like a holiday from life.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • always_tyred

What, you could afford to drop out? You must be posh then.
  • lost_in_thought

What, you could afford to drop out? You must be posh then.

Hmmmm? Don't understand... why does dropping out cost money?
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    linoue wrote:
    In my limited experience the biggest difference in worldview and attitude is between those who have been to university, and those who haven't.

Linoue,

Can you elaborate on what you said? I'm not sure what you mean.

maander
  • Rockbuddy
    linoue wrote:
    In my limited experience the biggest difference in worldview and attitude is between those who have been to university, and those who haven't.

+1 I would have to agree, university changed my attitude to alot of things. This is most noticable when I go back up to Yorkshire to seem the family, non of whom have attended any higher education establishments. I cringe at some of the things they come out with :oops: Still you can take the boy outta Yorkshire but not Yorkshire outta da boy :wink: