Silly Commuter Stats

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rubertoe wrote:
    It appears we have all gone soft.

If it helps it looks like I'll go over 800 miles this month unless I do some serious not riding over the next couple of weeks.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Deadslow now upto 3rd.

I'm about 2000 behind this time last year, which given i've not been trying I reckon is ok.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Have already beaten last years overall distance total. Yay!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Deadslow now upto 3rd

It won’t last! Dax hasn’t updated for a couple of days so he will reclaim 3rd soon enough. Also I’m on holiday from 25th August so I’m only expecting ~700 miles in total for August so will be well behind by start of September. :roll:
  • Well, that's me out of it for the next 6-8 weeks. Some old dude on an invalid carriage wiped me out at a crossing. He just randomly drove into the road and I barely had a chance to do anything other than brace for impact. I have 2 dislocated and fractured fingers, a broken metacarpel on my right hand and a "2nd degree" dislocation of my left shoulder. Smashed my phone, wrecked my jersey and gloves and most importantly, completely fcuked up my bike
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Well I've clawed my way back to 11th, a top ten spot still seems a long way off!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rolf_f
    Well I've clawed my way back to 11th, a top ten spot still seems a long way off!

You know how to get a top ten spot don't you? You just get on your bike and pedal.......
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Well, that's me out of it for the next 6-8 weeks. Some old dude on an invalid carriage wiped me out at a crossing. He just randomly drove into the road and I barely had a chance to do anything other than brace for impact. I have 2 dislocated and fractured fingers, a broken metacarpel on my right hand and a "2nd degree" dislocation of my left shoulder. Smashed my phone, wrecked my jersey and gloves and most importantly, completely fcuked up my bike

Shite dude! Not good news at all, heal quick! :|
  • rolf_f
    willy b wrote:
    Well, that's me out of it for the next 6-8 weeks. Some old dude on an invalid carriage wiped me out at a crossing. He just randomly drove into the road and I barely had a chance to do anything other than brace for impact. I have 2 dislocated and fractured fingers, a broken metacarpel on my right hand and a "2nd degree" dislocation of my left shoulder. Smashed my phone, wrecked my jersey and gloves and most importantly, completely fcuked up my bike

Shite dude! Not good news at all, heal quick! :|

Oh crap - sorry, missed your post. +1 to all willy b said. :(
  • @Carlos rubbish luck on the crash - get well soon (no idea how the money situation is but maybe can dream about the next bike?).
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    GWS CarlosD
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • No cycling for me at the moment - just back from a week's family hols and then off on another weeks sans bike holiday. So 4th place for me for a while I reckon.

At a bit of a loss at the moment .. end of my first go at a racing season (TTs and just one road race) .. seems too early in the year to stop racing :? And way, way to early to start winter training. It all seems to have come to a halt rather quickly.

So no idea how commuting (training) will go in September. The only hope is that we'll have a late Summer as good as last year.

In other news just spotted that my new commuter bike (old one developed a crash induced crack in it's frame) hasn't enough clearance for my roadracer mudguards - which means it's effectively rubbish as a commuter :( It was a great price but failed to spot the lack of clearance around the brakes. Oh well, live and learn.

strava profile
  • rolf_f
    In other news just spotted that my new commuter bike (old one developed a crash induced crack in it's frame) hasn't enough clearance for my roadracer mudguards - which means it's effectively rubbish as a commuter :( It was a great price but failed to spot the lack of clearance around the brakes. Oh well, live and learn.

Smaller tyres?
  • Rolf F wrote:

Smaller tyres?

I will try that. Currently running 25mm so it's definitely worth a go but I'm not optimistic ..

strava profile
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

Smaller tyres?

I will try that. Currently running 25mm so it's definitely worth a go but I'm not optimistic ..

Do you know where the clearace problem is? ie Are the guards fouling under the brakes or is away from them. Easy fix if the latter.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Smaller tyres?

Do you know where the clearace problem is? ie Are the guards fouling under the brakes or is away from them. Easy fix if the latter.

Under the brakes .. simply not much of a gap between tyre and underside of brake.

strava profile
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,059
    I turn my back for 5 mins and you lot have bloody well turned this thread into mumsnet.

STOP IT NOW

:twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    itboffin wrote:
    I turn my back for 5 mins and you lot have bloody well turned this thread into mumsnet.

STOP IT NOW

:twisted:

Haven't you got a crash to do?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,059
    Just did into the pub
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • 23mm tyres fitted and crud racer guards just have enough clearance .. bit of rub that some plastic re-alignment treatment has sorted (stick to force open gap and hair dryer to warm the plastic).

May need to reapply though as seems to slowly go back to old shape and start rubbing again.

Racing season over so normal-ish commuting returning.

strava profile
  • rolf_f
    23mm tyres fitted and crud racer guards just have enough clearance .. bit of rub that some plastic re-alignment treatment has sorted (stick to force open gap and hair dryer to warm the plastic).

May need to reapply though as seems to slowly go back to old shape and start rubbing again.

Probably not bending it enough. I used a gas hob - no signs of the shape reverting. With 23s on I can now see daylight through the gap between wheel and tyre!
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    Arrrggghhh.. My plan in August was to try to overtake Redvee and have the most mileage in Bristol! But a lovely spout of Gastroenteritis put a stop to that. Going to be tough trying to bridge a 200 mile gap, especially with no big rides planned.

Still its coming up to my yearly anniversary of my Garmin - should be around 5700 in a year.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Widgey wrote:
    Arrrggghhh.. My plan in August was to try to overtake Redvee and have the most mileage in Bristol! Going to be tough trying to bridge a 384 mile gap, especially with no big rides planned.

Still its coming up to my yearly anniversary of my Garmin - should be around 5700 in a year.

FTFY.

I'm aiming for 6000 and 15 weeks away from the end of the year and currently 380 miles ahead of target so should end up on 6500 all being well
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Guys. It's all over, nearly. I'll let the stats board run till the end of the year and hand out metaphorical gongs accordingly, but then it'll disappear. I could leave it to run till March when it would die off anyway (change of web host, change of needs etc) but there's no logic to dropping it partway through the year.

So... As of Jan next year either revert to ITB's code blocks (see early pages of this thread), or use Strava, MapMyRide etc and have a much better interface. Or just ride for the fun & enjoyment of it.

Equally it can't be beyond the wit & intelligence of someone on here to throw together something similar and quite possibly better. Feel free. 2½ months is plenty of time to get something up & running.

Cheers.
    C.
  • Thanks for the effort, I appreciate what you've done and have enjoyed using SCS over the last 3 years or so.

regards
    Paul
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Hmm. I'm sure I did have some code kicking around a while back as a replacement when CiB first mooted binning SCS. I can't seem to find it now...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Thanks for the effort, I appreciate what you've done and have enjoyed using SCS over the last 3 years or so.

+1

I know there is strava (I use it) but the SCS leaderboard just seems to be a better format for comparing commuters efforts over the whole year.

I'll miss it.

strava profile
  • rolf_f
    + another. I use Strava but, ultimately, it is SCS that I consider most important. And, of course, SCS doesn't push out the non GPS users. Putting in my morning commute time is the first thing I do on the computer at work in the morning - it is potentially a nice way to start the day if it turns out to be a good time. Strava has to wait til I get home.
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366

GWS mate. :(
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Firstly, GWS Carlos.

Secondly, Chris, sterling effort over the past few years. I use Strava too, but the stats board has a lot more charm and comeradery (competitive idiots). I'll miss it too, but I understand.