RPCC Training Group Ride - Sat 21st / Sun 22nd March

Comments

• OK having been trying to gather what the ride will be tomorrow, I'm struggling to work it out - and as a first timer with you guys, talk of 'spikes' is making me nervous! (I'm cr*p on hills..) - so: which ride are we doing, how far is it, and how hilly is it....? :?
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    OK having been trying to gather what the ride will be tomorrow, I'm struggling to work it out - and as a first timer with you guys, talk of 'spikes' is making me nervous! (I'm cr*p on hills..) - so: which ride are we doing, how far is it, and how hilly is it....? :?

Don't worry too much about the banter, usual stuff. There are a few of us who suffer up the hills too (me included, despite what everyone else says, my BH time doesn't lie).

Route is probably closest to this: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/110kms-RP-Surrey

There are 4 hills doing it this way, 2 are unavoidable as we have to get to the country lanes, 1 out/1 back. The hardest hill is very easy to bypass (its the middle of the loops, so if you zoom in you will see a straightforward shortcut that avoids it). As for the 4th hill, well there's a reason they're called the Surrey Hills, but its not too steep just a long drag which are the easiest type of hill. There is also a great place for tea and cake.

Just to reiterate, we wont just leave you. Many times a few people head for home a little early so that may also be an option and there are enough of us who know the way so getting lost wont be an issue.

Hope this helps, and that we still see you tomorrow.
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Thank you for clearing that up, it sounds ok again - 4 hills sounds are do-able so I'm back in ;-) will be at Richmond gate at 9am. 8)
  • Myk-ee
    Great to hear, :)

For those feeling strong they can always do the Box Hill detour :shock:
  • chrisw28
    chrisw28 Posts: 187
    Are you guys gonna be passing HC again tommorow morning? :oops:
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    chrisw28 wrote:

However way we exit RP and head into the hills we will be passing you so can't see why not.

The long grazed legged one
  • drewfromrisca
    drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
    I'm going to be missing this week. Don't worry you didn't scare me off (close though) but I'm off for an early one on Sat morning (around 5.30am) as I have to go out in the early afternoon.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    Myself and th rich meister are doing a couple of warm up la ps of RP beforehand all are welcome ,grand depart at 8am from roehampton. Gate car. Park

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • NUFCrichard
    NUFCrichard Posts: 103
    Hi guys, would it be alright if I join you tomorrow, I'm not too fast but should be okay as long as it doesn't get too bumpy.
  • The emu
    More the merrier NUFCRichard!

• Myk-ee
    Hi guys, would it be alright if I join you tomorrow, I'm not too fast but should be okay as long as it doesn't get too bumpy.

absolutely, the more the merrier. :)
    I'm going to be missing this week. Don't worry you didn't scare me off (close though) but I'm off for an early one on Sat morning (around 5.30am) as I have to go out in the early afternoon.

That's a shame, see you next week then..
    Myself and th rich meister are doing a couple of warm up la ps of RP beforehand all are welcome ,grand depart at 8am from roehampton. Gate car. Park

Just enough time for a quick 3 laps, hahaaa :shock:
  • chrisw28
    The emu wrote:
    chrisw28 wrote:

However way we exit RP and head into the hills we will be passing you so can't see why not.

Okay, thanks! Will be at HC for the usual 9:30 then and will just join straight on. No need to stop, since as far as I know you're probably only picking me up this week.
  • The emu

I should, I could....but I won't :P

• urrrrrrrrrs
    There is more chance of hell. Freezing over than me getting under 60 minutes ,although saying that it would be good to set a new. PB but then again pigs might fly

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Myself and th rich meister are doing a couple of warm up laps of RP beforehand all are welcome ,grand depart at 8am from roehampton. Gate car. Park

Hmm might see about trying to make that - cant get enough of RP at the moment what with the nice week of sunshine. It seems like the best place to be and I can't wait for 28th March when the clocks go forward as it will make evening sessions so much easier :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Can I just say... OUCH!! :shock: :lol::D

146k door to door, and that 4/5 man train on the way back was the finishing of me! My legs feel REALLY heavy right now! :lol:

Berns - Hope you got back ok buddy?

Wilf & Steve - Sorry we left you after Esher :oops:

Steve - Nice to see you out with us unexpectedly, and well done for coming on the extended route 8)

Wilf - I see you put your climbing legs on today?! On form today buddy, good to see! :D (oh, and comedy tumble in front of your adoring audience! :lol::lol::lol: )

Lucy & Ryan - good riding today guys, really impressed - keep that up and you'll be seeing massive progress in no time 8)

Grant - Nice to meet you mate, and it did make me laugh when Mike had to go chasing after you! :lol:

Chris - It worries me when you get to the front on those 'through-and-off' sessions mate! The pace seems to liven a little which hurt after 100k+! :wink::lol: Good riding though mate, good work 8)

Phips (+ you buddy who's name I forget - Solid riding from both of you, it really hurt trying to reel you on the way up in up to Ranmore Phipsy! :twisted:

Drill Sgt Mike - AWESOME route mate, really enjoyed that! Good to see you again too mate - been a while! 8)

Al - Your usual powerhouse self! Didn't even look like you'd done 50k by the end! Oh, and HOW MANY PUNCTURES??!! :wink::lol:

Homercles (sorry, I still can't remember your real name! :roll: :oops: ) - good to see you out again, and well ridden again - showed me a clean pair of heels on every climb today, again! :wink: 8)

James - Sorry you slogged it all the way back to Peaslake again! But good to see you, albeit briefly! :D

I'm missing someone, but I can't think who... :? :roll:

Oh, and Gezza - cheers for the couple of laps first thing! Good to meet you finally 8)

I got some pics today so will see what they look like and maybe get some uploaded if they're any good 8)

I'm shot - is it time for bed yet?...!! :oops: :lol:
  • chrisw28
    Rich - Good effort with the post above, 8/10 for content but I'll make it 9/10 for an excessive use of smilies (I count 30!) :D Oh and some good riding from yourself too!

Cheers guys, thanks for another great ride, hope the other group got home safely, same to berns, steve, wilf.

That hill up into ranmore was an absolute killer wasn't it?! :shock:

edit: also interested to see some of those pics Rich!
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    A cruel but very good route! :wink: 8)

Oh, and can I just add how good it was to see such a good turnout today - well into double figures at 14, which became 15 when Felgen tuned up! Really pleasing to see, and as a joint-founder member* it was a very proud moment!

*I would just like to add that a few folk are saying I started this - in reality all I did was put up the initial post that created the first meeting, and then continued to do so because I had a good time and wanted to carry on. At the end of the day despite putting those posts up it wouldn't have gone anywhere without everyone who takes me up on the offer of a friendly spin out into the Surrey lanes and turns up on the day, so I cannot and will not take all the credit!

One thing I will take the credit for is the RPCC kit design (albeit with input & feedback from a small 'core'!), and I hope we can get this resolved soon and place an order. When the times comes I will post it up and those interested can make their intentions known!

Admittedly I never thought this would lead to me having more cycling mates than social mates, but that's no bad thing - when you switch to planning your drinking dependent on your riding rather than your riding depending on your drinking, and that in doing so you cut your Guinness intake from 10-15 pints a week down to 1-6 pints that can only be a good thing, and I'm currently at my lightest for over 7yrs as a consequence! 8)

Right, RPCC love-in over - I need to go and get me some food! :lol:
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    i feel very inadequate right now :cry: ,having heard how many k's you did :shock: compared to my measley 2 laps of the park :wink: ,I was going to do another lap,but nah !!! instead I went home to finish off the baking for the KW race day,this was after i forgot I had put some toast on,and then went to chat to my neighbour and then hearing the smoke alarm go off,rushed back inside to find my super-deluxe toaster on fire :lol:
    then went off to watch my team win a game of football and then work and have just finished

Good to meet everyone and now counting down the hours till next weekend

Rich,thanks for this morning,but you must learn that your not the only one to have a Cervelo :wink::wink::lol:

• urrrrrrrrrs
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Admittedly I never thought this would lead to me having more cycling mates than social mates, but that's no bad thing - when you switch to planning your drinking dependent on your riding rather than your riding depending on your drinking, and that in doing so you cut your Guinness intake from 10-15 pints a week down to 1-6 pints that can only be a good thing, and I'm currently at my lightest for over 7yrs as a consequence! 8)

:

well you must come down to a KW pub night then :lol: or the summer BBQ or the Christmas baash :wink:

• The emu
    Wilf - I see you put your climbing legs on today?! On form today buddy, good to see! (oh, and comedy tumble in front of your adoring audience! )

Well never a dull moment when I'm out on the road - am thinking I'll trade my Wilier in for a uni-cycle with a honking horn. :oops: , mind you, 4 punctures in one outing by Al is bordering on comic relief in itself :lol:

Just to echo Rich's sentiments and say great riding plan by Mykee (not so great route planning by Phipsy :twisted: - Ranmore was my undoing), and to see so many people out.
    Oh, and can I just add how good it was to see such a good turnout today - well into double figures at 14, which became 15 when Felgen tuned up! Really pleasing to see, and as a joint-founder member* it was a very proud moment!

Rich, we actually we ended up with 16 as the Veronese linked in for return from peaslake(was his name Bruga???).

We stuck together to Bushy Park and he seemed keen on coming out for future RPCC jaunts.

I ended up doing just shy of 140K (139.6), went back through Kingston and even done my obligatory half lap of honour around RP without even disgracing myself (although it was a battle overtaking a teenage girl on a mountain bike whilst climbimg at the bottom of RP. :roll:

• Myk-ee
    Thanks all, was a goodun'

We chainganged back to RP and clocked 105kms for the round trip so not a bad outing, we also did a nasty little hill up Critten Lane, on the way back just after we parted ways (although doesn't sound as tricky as Ranmore common)

So did you get up BH in the end? :twisted:
  • Yeah it was a good ride, thanks guys - I thought I was a goner in the first half, but the second part felt way better. Thank you to all of you that hung back with me when I trailed, I hope it didn't get too annoying... If you don't mind I'll be joining you again when I can't get out on a Sunday? :-)

My dream of eating my bodyweight in fish and chips was foiled though - ended up at a rugby party and wine+73miles door to door+not much food left me hammered and in bed by 9:30 pm :oops:
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Brilliant route My-kee :D Whitedown will definitely be on the agenda for the RPCC again.
    Fantastic turn out - great meeting all the new faces. Hugo was the veronese.
    Door to door for me was 95 miles.

4 punctures :oops: including one 'comedy' tightening the valve too much :oops: 2 out of the 4 were perfectly timed however (mmm, lamb samosas :D ). Thanks to Ryan, Rich and Grant (I think that's right) for the tubes!

My-kee, no Box Hill yesterday. However, I got my fix today with the Paragon :twisted: , and Ranmore again :x

I have an appointment with Hog's Hill next Saturday and hols the following week.
    Rich (or any other RP regular), may see you in the park midweek.
  • As a newbie to the rides I learnt at least one very important lesson - when the guy who has laid out the route says don't try intervals - listen as he knows something you don't.

The little surprises Mike had in store for us (Winterfold etc) was a surprise to my legs.

With all the excellent riders there I knew I couldn't give up so thanks to everyone who got me up that hill.

Looking forward to the next one ?????

Grant
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Here I am. I've just woken up! :wink:
    Actually just been out for a few miles to ease the 'old legs', and feeling good.
    What a great day. Fantastic to meet the others and put faces to forum names. The 'Ranmore Road grind' was a slog for me but I loved the fast, windy flat,to the traffic lights after Ranmore Common, which made up for it.
    Looking forward to coming out again and going up Box Hill that you all love. :twisted: OK, you'll all be waiting at the top but I'm on a winner because I know I'm going to get a PB! :lol: At least I can't feel any worse than Berns!!(please post and let us know you're OK and got a train. Sincerely felt sorry for you yesterday).

AL your professional advice is needed here:-
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613607
    [/url] Perhaps by adding a third option to the OP stating he could just blag everyone else's tubes! :lol:

Now I can justifiably wear that RPCC shirt. 8) Thanks to all. Until the next time..............
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."