RPCC Training Group Ride - Sat 21st / Sun 22nd March

Comments

• felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Myk-ee wrote:
    Berns12 wrote:
    That's if I am still standing upright to hold a glass...might have to feed me with a funnel or Camelbak (now that is a thought!) :D

You really want to get one of these: http://www.thebeerbelly.com/
    That wouldn't work for me... as in I already have one of those, so does Gezza ;)
    This might work for me though....
    http://www.1ofakindstuff.com/Beer-Helmet.html one thing... are they UCI approved?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Less talk about how you're going to carry your beer James - are you coming on Sat or not?! :shock: :P :lol:
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Less talk about how you're going to carry your beer James - are you coming on Sat or not?! :shock: :P :lol:
    isnt that the reason to cycle? Shifting the calories that booze carries.... 8)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    Yeah think I am coming, but very disappointed re: Box Hill - cant we just do it anyway?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    felgen wrote:
    very disappointed re: Box Hill - cant we just do it anyway?
    Let's see what the general consensus is on the day, but my feeling is that if the weather's nice and there's an event on (which it is expected to be, and there is) then it'll be a nightmare, and I'm not sure I can be ar5ed to bother :roll:

Will it really matter for one week?! :wink: :P :roll:
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    very disappointed re: Box Hill - cant we just do it anyway?
    Let's see what the general consensus is on the day, but my feeling is that if the weather's nice and there's an event on (which it is expected to be, and there is) then it'll be a nightmare, and I'm not sure I can be ar5ed to bother :roll:

Will it really matter for one week?! :wink: :P :roll:

Could be fun...there could be a crowd of supporters cheering and spurning us on. Didn't you guys get a similar reception last time you rode BH when there was an event on?

But yeah I agree could be messy. Plus there maybe a long queue at the cake shop at the end
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Berns12 wrote:
    [Could be fun...there could be a crowd of supporters cheering and spurning us on. Didn't you guys get a similar reception last time you rode BH when there was an event on?

But yeah I agree could be messy. Plus there maybe a long queue at the cake shop at the end

During that event they cycled up Box Hill and then ran from the summit. James and I got a nefarious sensation whizzing by those guys - not sure how many miles they'd already put in :lol: We got the full cow bell action from the crowds as well. All went well to the first of the hair pins... :(
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    felgen wrote:
    That wouldn't work for me... as in I already have one of those, so does Gezza ;)
    :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

you my friend ,are going to get a slap when i see you saturday :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    phipsy & Bernsy12

whereabouts from North London do you cycle,there's North London and there's proper North London :shock:

• Berns12
    phipsy & Bernsy12

whereabouts from North London do you cycle,there's North London and there's proper North London :shock:

I am more central way north of Hyde Park ..which is not really Nth London but North of RP (does that count? :)) but I do spend a bit of time at the gf's at Swiss Cottage way ;) So yes not a true Nth Londoner but def more north than say the rest of the RPCC team ;)

Are you nearby Urrrrrrrs?
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Berns your postcode is W2 - you aint no norverner guv! :wink:

The long grazed legged one
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    :twisted: Why not do whitedown instead ? At 19% should be no prolem !!

Where's Whitedown?

Although I think we have enough hills for tomorrow so may have to wait till next time.
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    well i suppose if you've got a N in your postcode then technically your North London :roll:

as for me,i lived for the first 29 years of my life in Edgware(which technically isnt in London ,as it is a HA8 postcode :wink: ) and I now reside in Borehamwood (Elstree's poor cousin :wink: )

and if you cant be arsed to go down Saaaarf and would rather do aimless laps of the other RP (regents park) let us know ,so 100 miles = 35laps :shock: :P

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,770
    Berns12 wrote:
    [Could be fun...there could be a crowd of supporters cheering and spurning us on. Didn't you guys get a similar reception last time you rode BH when there was an event on?

During that event they cycled up Box Hill and then ran from the summit. James and I got a nefarious sensation whizzing by those guys - not sure how many miles they'd already put in :lol: We got the full cow bell action from the crowds as well. All went well to the first of the hair pins... :(

That's the same event as this weekend, I think - it's a 6 mile run (from the top of Box Hill, through the village, then sharp left, left to Old London Road, and up the zig zag), then three times the same on bikes, then run it again. 5 times up the zig zag in all.
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    The emu wrote:

W2 !!! very posh Berns !!!! :D and as Wilf says ,"you aint no norf londoner" :D

• urrrrrrrrrs
    The emu wrote:

W2 !!! very posh Berns !!!! :D and as Wilf says ,"you aint no norf londoner" :D

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,770
    Berns12 wrote:

That's the same event as this weekend, I think - it's a 6 mile run (from the top of Box Hill, through the village, then sharp left, left to Old London Road, and up the zig zag), then three times the same on bikes, then run it again. 5 times up the zig zag in all.
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    Myk-ee wrote:
    :twisted: Why not do whitedown instead ? At 19% should be no prolem !!

Where's Whitedown?

if you go through Effingham,carry on in a straight line,cross Ranmore Common Road then eventuslly you come to it and its a b@st@rd of an ascent ,but great fun descending,except for the double back Hairpin which i almost gorgot abot last weekend :wink:

• The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Berns12 wrote:

Yeah I reckon the cow bells drew an extra 5 seconds out of me that day, pretty funny. Think those guys got a nefarious sensation whizzing back past Felgen when he was walking his bike up the hill (Sorry mate, couldn't resist) :oops: :P

The long grazed legged one
  • felgen
    The emu wrote:
    Yeah I reckon the cow bells drew an extra 5 seconds out of me that day, pretty funny. Think those guys got a nefarious sensation whizzing back past Felgen when he was walking his bike up the hill (Sorry mate, couldn't resist) :oops: :P

Thanks, I particularly enjoyed that day. Especially walking past said cowbell ringers on foot, virtually wearing out my cleats in one fell swoop, and having people look at my bike and mutter that ...'hmm theres something not right with the rear derailleur.....' And then waiting for over an hour for the support vehicle to arrive by which time I was wet and freezing. In fact it rates in my top 5 best ever moments on a bike. Right up there with the East Grade Road descent off Mount Palomar I did in February....Not. :evil:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    if you go through Effingham,carry on in a straight line,cross Ranmore Common Road then eventuslly you come to it and its a b@st@rd of an ascent ,but great fun descending,except for the double back Hairpin which i almost gorgot abot last weekend :wink:
    I think i know the one you're talking about. I've gone up it once, otherwise the loop i tend to do takes me down it. It's a crazy hill :shock:
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • felgen
    I think I know it... we went down it once on a previous run, and I didn't at all want to swap with the people coming up it :shock:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    phips wrote:
    35 laps of ReP?! Eugh. I feel sick just thinking about that.

maybe so,but think of all those American Blonde female joggers that frequent the park early ?? :P

• urrrrrrrrrs
    phips wrote:
    well i suppose if you've got a N in your postcode then technically your North London :roll:

Swiss Cottage way for me too urrrrrrrrrs - NW6.
    no your not Swiss Cottage !!!!:? thats Foxtons the estate agents telling you that,really you are Kilburn/Brondesbury Park :wink: or at a push West Hampstead :P

and while were on the Subject of North London,ever thought about riding out towards Little Switzerland...

• urrrrrrrrrs
    its an area just to the north-east of me,just past potters bar where the roads either go up or down and no flat sections in between,great fun!!!!!! generally 10% gradients but i swear they are steeper

should you feel the urge to try this out let me know or drop me a PM ,i will be in RP tomorrow to say hello,

• Berns12
    phips wrote:
    its an area just to the north-east of me,just past potters bar where the roads either go up or down and no flat sections in between,great fun!!!!!! generally 10% gradients but i swear they are steeper

should you feel the urge to try this out let me know or drop me a PM ,i will be in RP tomorrow to say hello,

Hmm, sounds very enticing. I can see that area being an ideal mid-week training ground as the nights get lighter.quote]

Well count me in Urrrrrrrsy and Phipsy. I have been doing a couple of morning rides around RP (the other RP that is) and sun is out at 6 these days!
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    alas its only to say hello,although i am doing a few laps with Rich beforehand,KW have their race day n Sunday and i'd said i will make some cakes !!! so have to get back for that plus also QPR are at home in the afternoon :wink: i make my debut next weekend