RPCC Training Group Ride - Sat 21st / Sun 22nd March

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
And here we are again, another weekend done, another ride to plan! I'm gunning for a Saturday ride this coming weekend as I plan to commit to the KW Sunday run now that I'm a fully fledged member!

So, usual meet & ride plan:
    :arrow: 9am is most likely on whichever day is favoured (or both if any of you want to do both days!) :arrow: Richmond Gate in Richmond Park, south side (on the left as you come up Sawyer's Hill / on the right if you come through Richmond Gate) :arrow: 80-120k @ 24-28kph / 50-75 miles @ 15-18mph
usually, but nobody gets dropped
:arrow: Boxhill is almost definite (as is a short tea / cake / toilet / bottle refill stop at the top - usually around 15-20mins)
New faces are more than welcome and actively encouraged, and that applies to lurkers / long-time 'thread watchers' / any who haven't been able to make it along previously / those who don't want to commit on here but might feel like turning up on the day - please do join us if you want to! :D

It might also be worth saying that a 'collection point' can be arranged at Hampton Court as that tends to be our route out - we've stopped to collect others there on the last 2 rides so no reason why that shouldn't continue. All I would ask is that you're there by 9:30am as there won't be any hanging around then, it's literally just a fly-by quick hello and on the move again. That said there can sometimes be delays getting moving at Richmond Park so there is the potential for us to be late coming through (and apologies in advance if that turns out to be the case)! :roll: :lol:

I also fancy trying out some of the lanes South East of Dorking, around the Leigh / Newdigate / Rusper areas so I might be encouraging the avoidance of some of our usual route(s) in favour of heading south of the A25 / east of the A24 :shock: :lol:

So, who is about and when? :shock: 8) :D

Comments

• homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    OK, first my excuses re this weekend just gone: I had a cold all week, finally recovered around Friday, so much so that Friday night became a monster session, which took care of most of Saturday :roll: I hope it didn't delay leaving the park unduly.

Very impressed with some of the Box Hill efforts! Chapeau...

This week, Saturday looks good for me. I've had the best part of a week off the bike so raring to go - a week of commuting in weather like this would help too!
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    I'm off to Twickenham on Saturday to watch Scotland put a surprise 30 points past England :-) And on Sunday, I'll be mostly repointing the chimney stack.

So, a mixed weekend of pleasures for me - none of which involve the Surrey lanes. So it's another no show for me I'm afraid, although I'll probably try and get in a few laps of RP on both days if anyone fancies it.

By the way, it sounds like this Saturday was a good run with some big miles and small times up Box Hill. I managed a brief three laps in the park and got thrown all over the place with the wind. Must have been interesting out on the road as well...
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    I also fancy trying out some of the lanes South East of Dorking, around the Leigh / Newdigate / Rusper areas so I might be encouraging the avoidance of some of our usual route(s) in favour of heading south of the A25 / east of the A24 :shock: :lol:

and whom might of given you a nudge in that direction ??? forget Bollox Hell,why not do Whitedown instead :twisted: and time that !!!!!!

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • Rich-Ti
    and whom might of given you a nudge in that direction ???
    Hmmm, now let me think... :wink::lol:
    forget Bollox Hell,why not do Whitedown instead :twisted: and time that !!!!!!
    Change is as good as a rest as far as I'm concerned, but I know the guys are enjoying seeing their times each week!

Everyone else up for a week off Boxhill to see what other gems there are in the area - might come back fitter, stronger & faster next time around...?! :P 8)
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    Rich-Ti wrote:

Everyone else up for a week off Boxhill to see what other gems there are in the area - might come back fitter, stronger & faster next time around...?! :P 8)

i make my debut next week 28th March have 1 nore week of BH and then change is good perleeeease :wink:

• homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    I'm happy to let the stars of Saturday's ride kick my ar*e up whatever hill they'd prefer to ride up!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rich-Ti
    phips wrote:
    Give up Box Hill?! Crikey, the next thing you know you'll be suggesting we try running.
    Running?? Running??!! That's a pound in the swear box Phipsy... :roll: :lol:
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    How about trying this one then, although the very start out of Rchmond park is a little wrong:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/110kms-RP-Surrey

And for those feeling strong, we can carry on over Leith Hill then up Box Hill... :twisted:
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Rich-Ti
    Myk-ee wrote:
    How about trying this one then, although the very start out of Rchmond park is a little wrong:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/110kms-RP-Surrey

And for those feeling strong, we can carry on over Leith Hill then up Box Hill... :twisted:
    Looks good - even with a Leith and / or Boxhill attempt I'd be up for that 8)
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    I'm keen for as many climbs as possible but there's a lot of emotion attached to Box Hill and taking it out of any Surrey Hills Route for a lot of us would be like taking Alpe D'Huez out of the TdF :lol:

My headseat should be sorted by this weekend (am doing that in a minute), so am raring to go for Saturday morning as it's been a fortnight hiatus for me :cry:

I particularly like the little climb out of Peaslake if we want to mix things up by zig zagging and make a longer/tougher day of things.

The long grazed legged one
  • Myk-ee
    That used to be my training ride before I came out with RPCC, it's a good fun ride with a couple of killer hills.

Don't mean to frighten anyone off though. Lots of bail points and easy shortcuts to avoid the really ugly bits.
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Funnily enough I hadn't even looked at the bikely route when commenting on the climb out of Peaslake....just taken a look now is pretty close to what I was thinking :lol: .

Yeah if you throw in Leith and Box Hill I like it a lot.

Very similar to the route RedGreenDragon introduced a few of us to a while back....although not sure there'll be too many BH records on the way home :wink:

The long grazed legged one
  • Myk-ee
    Okay, I'm gonna put it out there... ...who's up for an 8am start and we'll do the lot? :shock:

I'll plot a course and upload in the next couple of days..
  • Rich-Ti
    Myk-ee wrote:
    Okay, I'm gonna put it out there... ...who's up for an 8am start and we'll do the lot? :shock:

I'll plot a course and upload in the next couple of days..
    We can still do the lot with a 9am start - what's the rush to start so early?! :lol::wink:
  • Myk-ee
    phips wrote:
    Tsk, first he banishes the tea stop, now he's suggesting we get out of bed early. Henceforth Myk-ee, you are to be known as The Drill Instructor(tm) :shock:

You will respect my authoritie! (ala cartman in south park)
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    For those of us who enjoy a quiet pint on a Friday night and/or live further than a crank's turn from RP, I say nay to the 8am call.

I should be good for Saturday at the civilised hour of 9am. The route looks tasty. Phips compared last Sunday's route map to a gentlemen's under carriage. This one looks a bit like a ferret (with it's front legs in Cranleigh)
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/110kms-RP-Surrey :?:

BTW - need to put in the diary a couple of c180km rides in mid May/start of June. 8am would be acceptable for this :wink:
  • Myk-ee
    8am was only a suggestion. But I like the idea of a couple of long rides in a month or two.
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    phips wrote:
    cartman_motivator.jpg

'Phips,where are your cheesy puffs :?: :?: :?: !' :wink:

• Rich-Ti
    BTW - need to put in the diary a couple of c180km rides in mid May/start of June. 8am would be acceptable for this :wink:
    Seconded, although I was planning to start them late April...

RP to Sussex coast & back anyone?... :shock: :twisted:
  • Myk-ee
    phips wrote:
    'Phips,where are your cheesy puffs :?: :?: :?: !' :wink:

That's no way to talk about the bunch we ride with :lol:

I'll be cheesy puff number 1 :?
  • I'll join you this week, so could I please request that the cake stop remains in....? :)
  • Myk-ee
    I'll join you this week, so could I please request that the cake stop remains in....? :)

Good to have you along. I think the cake stop will be voted back in..
  • Rich-Ti
    Myk-ee wrote:
    I think the cake stop will be voted back in..
    As long as I'm there we will ALWAYS have a cake stop! :wink: 8) :lol:

Wasn't planning to remove it, only relocate it! :oops: