RPCC Training Group Ride - Sat 21st / Sun 22nd March

Comments

• Petromyzon
    Petromyzon Posts: 221
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Petromyzon wrote:
    Might squeeze in a cheeky one early Sunday though so if anyone fancies ~4hrs non-stop, starting Hampton Court at 8am ish then let me know!
    Tempting, but I plan to make it to my first KW club run now I'm a signed up member!

I got out this afternoon too - 90k @ 27.7kph 8)

Sounds like a good run. Midweek rides are awesome, just waiting for the evenings to get a bit lighter so that post-work spins are a bit more pleasurable.

Deffo good to do the club runs, I really need to man up and do the early, fast Dynamo Sunday one but I keep hearing stories about how rapid it is!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Petromyzon wrote:
    Deffo good to do the club runs, I really need to man up and do the early, fast Dynamo Sunday one but I keep hearing stories about how rapid it is!
    How rapid is it?

If it's anything like the fast runs I've been on (and Chris will no doubt attest to this) it's surprisingly easy to sit on the back or in the group and keep pace, and I even managed two turns on the front! OK so they both killed me, but you ease off, roll bag into the group and recover behind someone else! :wink::lol:
  • chrisw28
    chrisw28 Posts: 187
    edited March 2009
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Petromyzon wrote:
    How rapid is it?

If it's anything like the fast runs I've been on (and Chris will no doubt attest to this) it's surprisingly easy to sit on the back or in the group and keep pace, and I even managed two turns on the front! OK so they both killed me, but you ease off, roll bag into the group and recover behind someone else! :wink::lol:

Yep, you do get sucked along quite nicely when doing those fast rides...it's a bit harder sitting at the back though as you end up doing a bit more work at every traffic light/roundabout etc.

Did the wednesday night run this evening Rich, was a bit quicker than last weeks, but my legs were feeling a LOT better this time round so subsequently it was a lot more fun and not just endless pain! Would rather have gone out for a long ride during the day though (get a quick tan in :lol: ) but alas I was stuck doing sciency things - ugh.

So who's wearing shorts this weekend! :lol:
  • Petromyzon
    Petromyzon Posts: 221
    Kind words Mark, although I think last Sat was less to do with my sustained speed and more to do with my complete inability to hold a consistent pace when on the front of a group. I feel an eloquent, considered justification for a power meter coming on!

I will get around to doing the fast Dynamo route at some point. It is not really the pure pace that bothers me, more the bike handling as I tend to get dropped on ripping fast descents and technical corners. Having been round a few more of the lanes with you guys I reckon I could find my way home ok.

I'm sure it will depend on who turns up, there are plenty of people who are in OK shape and want to push themselves a bit, like me, but there are quite a few who are absolutely apocalyptically fast and spend their commutes scalping Vespas as part of a recovery regime :lol::lol:
  • Rich-Ti
    chrisw28 wrote:
    Did the wednesday night run this evening Rich, was a bit quicker than last weeks...

So who's wearing shorts this weekend! :lol:
    Yeah it sounds like it was a couple of kph quicker average. Hoping to be there for it again next week if it's on 8)

Shorts? Hmmm, there was still a bit of a nip in the air in places today so it'll probably be 3/4s for me, but then I rarely progress beyond them to be honest! And I quite often wear arm warmers year-round too as I find I regulate my temperature better... odd, but there you go! :roll: :lol:
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    I wore shorts on last Tuesday's Chain Gang. Mistake.
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    Chris and Rich

the KW club 10's TT start at the end of April,,so normally the Wednesday Night Rides tend to tail off,but nothing to stop you from carrying on,
    The 10 TTis are pure Hell/Fun :twisted: and are run in cojunction with the kingston phoenix and because of the poularity its usually a full house

i took part in the final one of last year,put it this way i was more f**ked after this then last years Etape and the final riders were completing the course in near darkness,not cos of natural light ,but because of a rapidly approaching thunderstorm :) my time was 28'55 whichb aint bad considering i weremt wearing an aero helmet pointy thing,skinsuit(although i am threatning all and sundry to wear it this year :shock: and i am big boned :wink:

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,770
    Just in case you weren't aware - the Ballbuster Duathlon is down at Boxhill this Saturday, so it might be a bit busy with lunatics running up the zigzag.
  • Rich-Ti
    Just in case you weren't aware - the Ballbuster Duathlon is down at Boxhill this Saturday, so it might be a bit busy with lunatics running up the zigzag.
    Thanks Graham - useful info.

Might be an enforced alternative route then guys... don't shoot the messenger! :shock: :lol:
  • Rich-Ti
    Lol, great minds think alike Mark! 8)
  • Art Vandelay
    I'm sure we can cope without Box Hill for a week :shock: - it'll just make us hungrier. Speaking of which - we'll need an alternative café stop on the route if Drill Sgt Myk-ee allows a 2 min break.
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    I'm sure we can cope without Box Hill for a week :shock: - it'll just make us hungrier. Speaking of which - we'll need an alternative café stop on the route if Drill Sgt Myk-ee allows a 2 min break.

If we're not doing box hill then we wont need a second break! We can still stop at Peaslake for a cuppa and cake. Lets just see how we get on.. :roll:
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • kingstongraham
    I did Hound House Hill for the first time yesterday and found it much more of a bastard than Box Hill.
  • Rich-Ti
    I did Hound House Hill for the first time yesterday and found it much more of a bastard than Box Hill.
    Heading north or south?

I think for us lot it's less about Box Hill being any kind of bastard and is more about getting PBs up it! :roll: :lol:
  • kingstongraham
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Heading north or south?:

Heading south, starting in Shere. It just seems to keep on going up for ever, with nasty little spikes in it.
  • Myk-ee
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Heading north or south?:

Heading south, starting in Shere. It just seems to keep on going up for ever, with nasty little spikes in it.

Hmmm, i like the sound of that. I still reckon the Winterfolds hill is the worst though.

Don't mean to scare anyone off though, as mentioned by many others many times, we dont just drop people and wait at the top...
  • kingstongraham
    Myk-ee wrote:
    I still reckon the Winterfolds hill is the worst though.

will give that a go next week. Might join you guys later in the year, sounds a good laugh - at the moment I'm getting long rides in on a Wednesday which on a day like yesterday is fab :)
  • Rich-Ti
    I'd heard that, but I don't actually find it that bad anymore... :?

Don't think I've done Winterfolds - is that in the plan for Sat Drill Sgt?! :shock: :lol:
  • Myk-ee
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Don't think I've done Winterfolds - is that in the plan for Sat Drill Sgt?! :shock: :lol:

Yip!

But there is an a really easy bail out option if you're scared, :lol: :twisted: :lol: bahaa..
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    phips wrote:

Wilf, you gonna make it this week too? Bern?

Should be good this weekend, if I can get a leave pass for the day. If not will do the shorter 'Mo ride.

So in lieu of BH what is the go? Are we going to cut home after Leith?
  • Myk-ee
    Berns12 wrote:
    So in lieu of BH what is the go? Are we going to cut home after Leith?

Seems as though I've taken on the role of sat nav for this weekend.

So after Peaslake we head up Holmbury Hill, then we have an option of heading for home or going up and over Leith then heading for home. Either way, we will still have to get over the bump around Abinger Hammer before it flattens out.

Was thinking we play it by ear..
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    :twisted: Why not do whitedown instead ? At 19% should be no prolem !!

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • Berns12
    Myk-ee wrote:

Seems as though I've taken on the role of sat nav for this weekend...

tis right we have Chris who has a built in Garmin in his head amongst the Garmin riding Rich and Phipsy ;)
    Myk-ee wrote:
    Abinger Hammer before it flattens out...

That sounds tough... Just as well I have stopped drinking (yeah we will see how long that lasts!) in preparation for Fray Bentos ;) Never one to shy from a challenge tho!

See y'all Saturday
  • Art Vandelay
    Those San Migs at the finish line are really going to destroy you now :twisted:
  • Berns12
    Those San Migs at the finish line are really going to destroy you now :twisted:

That's if I am still standing upright to hold a glass...might have to feed me with a funnel or Camelbak (now that is a thought!) :D
  • Berns12
    phips wrote:
    Myk-ee wrote:
    Was thinking we play it by ear..

Good plan. I'm riding down this week, so that's an extra 20km on my day before we even get going.

Steady climbing for me this week then :)

With you on that Phipsy...you are going to have to push me back from RP back to North London

btw have ordered my 'Mo kit...hopefully it will get here in time for its debut this weekend!
  • Myk-ee
    Berns12 wrote:
    That's if I am still standing upright to hold a glass...might have to feed me with a funnel or Camelbak (now that is a thought!) :D

You realy want to get one of these: http://www.thebeerbelly.com/