Ethnicity and the Cycling

Comments

• Sewinman wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    ETA

Simples being an common meerkat expression not a name

And yet not inappropriate in that list... How curious.

:lol:

Chapeau
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    edited September 2010
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I like:

JaVonDre
    DeVante (accent on the E)
    Beyonce
    Tarniqua
    Sharniqua
    LeQuisha
    LeBriant
    Tarnisha

and

Tony

To be honest if I was going to go that way with names i'd give the kids African names, I enquired about this with Ms DDD, no mileage on that one...

:roll:
    everyone knows that quiche is girl's food so surely

LaQuisha
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    PBo wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I like:

JaVonDre
    Beyonce
    Tarniqua
    Sharniqua
    LeQuisha
    LeBriant
    Tarnisha

and

Tony

To be honest if I was going to go that way with names i'd give the kids African names, I enquired about this with Ms DDD, no mileage on that one...

La[/]Quisha
    So tempting to put an 'i' in the middle of DeVante...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I like:

JaVonDre
    Beyonce
    Tarniqua
    Sharniqua
    LeQuisha
    LeBriant
    Tarnisha

and

Tony

La[/]Quisha

Aye. And I'm pretty sure that Tarnisha is Mr. & Mrs. Reputation's girl.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I like:

JaVonDre
    Beyonce
    Tarniqua
    Sharniqua
    LeQuisha
    LeBriant
    Tarnisha

and

Tony

La[/]Quisha

Aye. And I'm pretty sure that Tarnisha is Mr. & Mrs. Reputation's girl.
    :lol::lol:
  • On the subject of "black-sounding names", there is a good chapter in "Freakonomics" about a study in America which followed the life achievements of college graduates with "black sounding names" ("DeShawn" was the no. 1) as opposed to "white sounding names". The findings were complex but came to the depressing but predictable conclusion that the sample of graduates with "black sounding names" did less well economically than the "white-sounding" kids.

The case that prompted the research was a media scandal in America a few years ago after a black couple called their baby girl "Sh1thead" )pronounced Sh1teed.
  • DDD, if you are who I think you are then you are a triathlete. I've seen a few black lads racing tris (one of them may have been you!) but they are still a pretty rare sight and the same debate about ethnicity in sport rages on the tri scene too.

I live in a county where a good proportiion of the population are Pakistani heritage. I very rarely see them at cycling or multisport events. Most of the sporty Asian people I know are too busy down the gym or the cricket nets. Cultural thing innit.

As for the lack of black cyclists in London, I expect it is in part a class thing as well as a race thing. Let's face it - cycling is a bit "middle clarse" isn't it? In my experience of living in South London, "middle class" usually equals "white".
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The spelling of some Irish names bear no relation to the way they are pronounced. I knew a girl named Laoise, pronounced Leesha.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • No sooner have I started reading this thread I find a gentlemen who certainly looked Pakistani/Indian on a road bike on my way home :-) Probably one of only a handful that I've encountered in roughly the same area (Streatham)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    The spelling of some Irish names bear no relation to the way they are pronounced. I knew a girl named Laoise, pronounced Leesha.

May I introduce Siobhan Cholmondeley-Marjoribanks?

Cheers,
    W.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Nice one Buns, I've wanted to meet her for ages.

In all seriousness, how the hell did the spellings for those Irish names come about? I know English as a language makes up the rules as it goes along, but those names take things to a whole new level.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    The Gaelic alphabet isn't the same as the English alphabet, nor is the pronunciation of the letters. The Welsh alphabet is similarly different IYSWIM. They both use Latin characters, but not in the same way as English, hence the apparently odd spelling.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/irish.htm
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • As a general rule a H after a consonant either makes a V sound or both the consonant and H become silent.

Spelling of Irish names is further complicated by the fact the the lanuguage was supressed by the English and only survives as 'living' languages in some areas of Ireland (Gaeltachts). This leads to derivations in pronounciations and spellings.

Blaithnaid = Blah naid
    Eoghan = O an
    Domhnall = Doe nall
    Caoimhe = Key va
    Naimh = Kneev
    Siobhan = sh vaughan

the phoenetics aren't great but at least you're all a *bit* less ignorant than before
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Further to my earlier comments re cultural signifigance of names in Northern Ireland.

My wife and I are from different sides of the traditional divide, when naming our kids we deliberately picked what would be 'neutral' names.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Thanks for the info.

The English suppressing the language of the people they oppress? Who'd have thunk it?

• As a general rule a H after a consonant either makes a V sound or both the consonant and H become silent.

Spelling of Irish names is further complicated by the fact the the lanuguage was supressed by the English and only survives as 'living' languages in some areas of Ireland (Gaeltachts). This leads to derivations in pronounciations and spellings.

Blaithnaid = Blah naid
    Eoghan = O an
    Domhnall = Doe nall
    Caoimhe = Key va
    Naimh = Kneev
    Siobhan = sh vaughan

the phoenetics aren't great but at least you're all a *bit* less ignorant than before

My housemate, who's from Cork, says 'Caoimhe' as 'Kweever'. It's funny. :D

Blaithnaid = Blah naid
    Eoghan = O an
    Domhnall = Doe nall
    Caoimhe = Key va
    Naimh = Kneev
    Siobhan = sh vaughan

I should have guessed it was our fault...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • EKE_38BPM
    Punt and Dennis did a great sketch ages ago about how most of the conflicts around the world are the fault of the English (or British, I can't remember now) and how they legged it before clearing up the mess. I did a search for it but can't find it.

The Middle East, large chunks of Africa etc.

I'm going to have to search harder.

• My Nan was Indian My Dad was born there also, i was born here that makes me British. But i do hold the Sun tan and will be very dark in colour when in Turkey at the end of the month. Hahahahahah i love my skin colouring. But i do still have white bits :shock:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Naimh = Kneev

I'm intrigued as to why you put a silent "k" in the phonetic spelling. "neev" makes more sense to me. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Naimh = Kneev

I'm intrigued as to why you put a silent "k" in the phonetic spelling. "neev" makes more sense to me. :D

Fair comment.

Funny foreign languages with their strange silly spellings, eh?

Ever tried spelling names over the phone using words instead of letters* (Alpha Zulu etc)?

I panic when I get to a B,C,F or N

*I'm sure there is a name for this alphabet
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Naimh = Kneev

Fair comment.

Funny foreign languages with their strange silly spellings, eh?

Ever tried spelling names over the phone using words instead of letters* (Alpha Zulu etc)?

It's the ICAO alphabet (ick-AYY-oh), or the international radiotelephony spelling alphabet. I'm fine with it, years of practice don'tcha know. I find the american version confusing and hilarious... it's like they don't understand why we went for our ones. They're specifically chosen so that no two sound alike.
  • Agent57

I don't think I ever have. I've had people on the other end of the phone ask "M for mother?", and thought "you mean Mike", but said yes anyway. ;)

The ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) or NATO phonetic alphabet, normally (although it's not phonetic). I used to call it "the CB alphabet."
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • It's the ICAO alphabet (ick-AYY-oh), or the international radiotelephony spelling alphabet. I'm fine with it, years of practice don'tcha know. I find the american version confusing and hilarious... it's like they don't understand why we went for our ones. They're specifically chosen so that no two sound alike.

I'm usually fine with these until I forget then its M for Monkey, T for Tissue or B for Bike and all other random words my brain decides to unload on the poor unsuspecting person I'm talking to :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Agent57
    I find the american version confusing and hilarious... it's like they don't understand why we went for our ones. They're specifically chosen so that no two sound alike.

I like the old RAF one. Ace, Beer, Charlie, Don, Edward, Freddie, George, Harry -- just a load of chaps' names, what they should aspire to be (ace) and things they like (beer). :lol:;)

Also, both the old Navy and RAF ones had Monkey instead of Mike; Monkey is clearly superior!
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Monkey is clearly superior!

Cheques in the post lad, nice work and no one noticed :D
  • Agent57
    Heheh, we monkeys must stick together. ;) My forum handles on other fora include Monkey!, Irrepressible Stone Monkey and IrrepressibleMonkey. And I was born in the year of the monkey. :D
  • It's the ICAO alphabet (ick-AYY-oh), or the international radiotelephony spelling alphabet. I'm fine with it, years of practice don'tcha know. I find the american version confusing and hilarious... it's like they don't understand why we went for our ones. They're specifically chosen so that no two sound alike.

Is there really an American version? I thought it was genuinely international, and being used by NATO, would certainly be in US military usage...
    I've always known it as the international phonetic alphabet.

Cheers,
    W.

Is there really an American version? I thought it was genuinely international, and being used by NATO, would certainly be in US military usage...
    I've always known it as the international phonetic alphabet.

Cheers,
    W.

Oh for the military, yes, I think the septic police have a different one. Or so I'm led to believe by years of television shows.

Note to self: do not necessarily trust CSI. :D
  • Note to self: do not necessarily trust CSI. :D

We had enough trouble when the "truth" about Sean Combs came out earlier, don't start with more windups... :D