Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge 2009

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I was too late. Traffic was already abysmal by 9:30. Everyone is in the park today.
    I got a cheeky 6-lapper in, the first 3 were just over the hour so not so bad for non-challenge, traffic-upped laps.

Great time CJ. Not sure I'm going to get near that any time soon. (Still suffering from my HOTA off :( )
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    JonGinge wrote:
    I was too late. Traffic was already abysmal by 9:30. Everyone is in the park today.
    I have to agree with that - I managed the first lap sub 20 but then there were too many kerb crawling 'ooh look at the deer' cars which just made it frustrating. I made do with hammering the hills on the remaining couple of laps before calling it a day. I think with the better weather, the only thing to allow a better time is a really early start.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • cjcp wrote:
    Well done, CJ. I imagine you'll pass us within a month or so.

Don't be so sure!
    quote]
    Not a month, not a day, but about 3 hours.
    Time for Toks to do the same.
    Sounds like you've an easy minute, cj, if you just keep your lungs where they are meant to be. OK not 'easy', but achievable. I'm living vicariously given my lack of progress.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    go CJ that's 22.3mph avg :shock:

I need to find 10mins to clear sub 60 :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    go CJ that's 22.3asu* avg :shock:

I need to find 10mins to clear sub 60 :cry:
    Ahem, ahem. Fixed that for you... ;)

Been a while since your last effort ITB. Reckon you'd be much closer now.

* asu=arbitrary speed units
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Thanks, chaps. I was aiming to get witihin a minute of Felgen and RGB given that there were significantly better conditions today. I'm really feeling it though - the legs are in bits, so tomorrow's commute will be easy going to say the least!

I went out early as we had a family outing to Claremont Gardens today - I was in the Park by 7.20. Only way to avoid the traffic, and it was building by mid way through the third lap. The biggest obstacle was the number of bikes 8) , but this only cost me 10 seconds at most.

I'm firmly of the view that 6-8pm in mid-summer (on a dry day) is the best time of the day to set a PB. The muscles are warmed up and the traffic is light to start with and then non-existent when the gates close. If you chaps are knocking out 57mins in these conditions, you really shouldn't have much problem reaching 54mins in those conditions.

For the sake of complete transparency :wink: , I should declare that I'm officially a Cat 3 rider. However, I've not raced for over a year ( :oops: ), so can't really call myself a racer by any stretch! Hence the description "commuter/sportive".
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    edited March 2009
    triple post
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    edited March 2009
    triple pos. deleted
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    cjcp wrote:
    Thanks, chaps. I was aiming to get witihin a minute of Felgen and RGB given that there were significantly better conditions today. I'm really feeling it though - the legs are in bits, so tomorrow's commute will be easy going to say the least!

I went out early as we had a family outing to Claremont Gardens today - I was in the Park by 7.20. Only way to avoid the traffic, and it was building by mid way through the third lap. The biggest obstacle was the number of bikes 8) , but this only cost me 10 seconds at most.

I'm firmly of the view that 6-8pm in mid-summer (on a dry day) is the best time of the day to set a PB. The muscles are warmed up and the traffic is light to start with and then non-existent when the gates close. If you chaps are knocking out 57mins in these conditions, you really shouldn't have much problem reaching 54mins in those conditions.

For the sake of complete transparency :wink: , I should declare that I'm officially a Cat 3 rider. However, I've not raced for over a year ( :oops: ), so can't really call myself a racer by any stretch! Hence the description "commuter/sportive".

False advertising CJ :P

So just how bad are the legs? I quite fancy adding another scalp to the collection :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    Yeah, dunno whether it's the forum or my computer.

The legs are stiff. And I'm going to bed for some rest!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    name.......................Direction. ...Weight.. ...Time.....Month.....TOR
    Shavedlegs...............Anti.............73kg........53:34.....Mar......2nd Cat.
    KingstonWheeler.....Anti .............66kg........53:37.....Feb......Anything on 2 wheels
    seabadger....... .........Anti ...........80kg.........55:33......Mar......MTB
    CJ...............................Anti..............82kg.......56.31......Mar.....Commuter/Sportive
    RedGreenBaron ......Anti ............70kg........57:40.....Jan......Sportive
    Felgen.......................Anti.............96kg........57.53.....Mar..... Cat4/'leisure'
    Art Vandelay.............Anti..............76kg.........58.50......Feb....Sportive
    POD............................Anti .............90kg........59.10 ....Jan..... Undecided
    toontra........................Anti..............72kg........59.28......Feb.....Audax
    Stumpy75 ..................Anti .............78kg........59.46 ....Jan..... MTBer (masters)
    Littigator......................Anti.............76kg........59.52......Feb.....Commuter/Sportive
    Toks............................Anti.............73kg.......61.01.......March...2nd Cat Roadie
    KingstonGraham......Anti..............75kg........61.20......Mar.....Maybe Sportive/Tri
    Rich-Ti........................Anti.........Not sure......61:42......Feb.....So close it hurts!!
    LuckyPierre................Anti.............82kg........62:05.....Jan......Sportive
    Attica..........................Anti..............72kg........62.28.....March......Sportive/Commuter
    Chirg...........................Anti..............78kg........62.42.....Jan......Commuter
    TheEmu......................Anti.............86kg.........63.04......March....Sportive
    mathammond..............Anti.............89kg........63.23.......March....Commuter
    Rushie.......................Clock............85kg........64.10......Feb.........Fixie
    Fuji Mackers...............Anti.............75kg........64.29......Mar..........SS (48x17)
    Arpy...........................Anti...........106kg........65.19......Feb........Beginner
    Funkin.......................Anti..............80kg........66.29......Feb......Tri
    MkyDPky...................Anti..............82kg.........67.34.....Mar.....Beginner Sportive/Triathlon
    Barney1000................Clock.........101Kg.......68.05.....Feb......Fitness
    Steve M,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Anti..............78kg.........69.26 .....Feb....Commuter/Social
    MkyDPky....................Anti..............82kg........69.49......Feb.....Beginner Sportive/Triathlon
    itboffin........................C2/A1..........86kg........70.46.....Jan......SCR
    Blueskyturnstogrey...Anti.............80kg........72.22.....Jan......Hopefull
    Greenbank.................Anti.............82kg........76:04......Feb.....Audax/Fixed
    Beer, anyone?...........Anti.............65kg........78:22......Feb.....Slow
    roger merriman.........Anti..............85Kg.......80..........march.....old steel

Finally managed 3 laps, been a long old winter and badly out of shape. Traffic was terrible though, reckon I'd be pushing the hour mark if I'd got out of bed a couple of hours earlier, next weekend....
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    Shavedlegs...............Anti.............73kg........53:34.....Mar......2nd Cat.
    KingstonWheeler.....Anti .............66kg........53:37.....Feb......Anything on 2 wheels
    CJ...............................Anti..............82kg.......56.31......Mar.....Commuter/Sportive
    Felgen.......................Anti.............96kg........57.53.....Mar..... Cat4/'leisure'
    Art Vandelay.............Anti..............76kg.........58.50......Feb....Sportive
    POD............................Anti .............90kg........59.10 ....Jan..... Undecided
    toontra........................Anti..............72kg........59.28......Feb.....Audax
    Stumpy75 ..................Anti .............78kg........59.46 ....Jan..... MTBer (masters)
    Littigator......................Anti.............76kg........59.52......Feb.....Commuter/Sportive
    Toks............................Anti.............73kg.......61.01.......March...2nd Cat Roadie
    KingstonGraham......Anti..............75kg........61.20......Mar.....Maybe Sportive/Tri
    Rich-Ti........................Anti.........Not sure......61:42......Feb.....So close it hurts!!
    LuckyPierre................Anti.............82kg........62:05.....Jan......Sportive
    Attica..........................Anti..............72kg........62.28.....March......Sportive/Commuter
    Chirg...........................Anti..............78kg........62.42.....Jan......Commuter
    TheEmu......................Anti.............86kg.........63.04......March....Sportive
    mathammond..............Anti.............89kg........63.23.......March....Commuter
    Rushie.......................Clock............85kg........64.10......Feb.........Fixie
    Fuji Mackers...............Anti.............75kg........64.29......Mar..........SS (48x17)
    Arpy...........................Anti...........106kg........65.19......Feb........Beginner
    Funkin.......................Anti..............80kg........66.29......Feb......Tri
    MkyDPky...................Anti..............82kg.........67.34.....Mar.....Beginner Sportive/Triathlon
    Steve M,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Anti..............78kg.........69.26 .....Feb....Commuter/Social
    MkyDPky....................Anti..............82kg........69.49......Feb.....Beginner Sportive/Triathlon
    itboffin........................C2/A1..........86kg........70.46.....Jan......SCR
    Wogan......................Anti.............70kg........75.44......Mar.....Commuter/SkinnyFatman
    Greenbank.................Anti.............82kg........76:04......Feb.....Audax/Fixed
    roger merriman.........Anti..............85Kg.......80..........march.....old steel

Note to self: sunny Sunday afternoon is not conducive to PBs. Nor is sitting on your jacksie all winter. Ah well, things can only get better...
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • MatHammond wrote:
    Finally managed 3 laps
    Welcome back Matt. I'm looking forward to seeing that time tumble.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Guinea........................Anti..............90kg.........59.31......Mar....fitness Stumpy75 ..................Anti .............78kg........59.46 ....Jan..... MTBer (masters)
    Wogan......................Anti.............70kg........75.44......Mar.....Commuter/SkinnyFatman

It's been a while since I've been to the park. This was my first visit of the year and I was worried I was out of practice.

I had terrible traffic. It was awful. First lap was just under 20 minutes, the next was over 22 so I though getting under an hour was impossible. I was lucky (maybe too risky) on my third lap and gave it everything. It was enough to get me in just under my old hour benchmark.

55 minutes is the target this year. I seemed to have the same speed on the straights yesterday, but didn't have that punching power to roll over the hills that I had last year. Last year I could just blast over Sawyers Hill at 20mph without changing down. I was at 15mph yesterday.

I've beeked another couple of trips to the Alps this year, so I at least need to get as fit as I was last year.
  • cc10
    cc10 Posts: 38
    Guinea........................Anti..............90kg.........59.31......Mar....fitness
    CC10..........................Anti............70kg.........65.42......Mar.......Newbie/beginner

Decided to give this a go for a bit of motivation, only 3rd week on a bike so figure I have to start somewhere!

Weather was perfect but the traffic was awfull, but I'm guessing thats always an issue!!
    Still, getting better figuring out the gears :? so hopefully will get faster
    :)
  • cjcp
    Cracking time for a beginner! Keep it up! :) Early morning or evening are the best times IMO.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Guinea........................Anti..............90kg.........59.31......Mar....fitness
    London-red................Anti............85kg.........65.38......Mar........Fitness
    CC10..........................Anti............70kg.........65.42......Mar.......Newbie/beginner

Completed my first, timed, three lap challenge of the year and, well, theres' a bit of room for improvement. Saying that the wind was howling, so I reckon I can shave a fair amount of time off that.

Aim of sub hour in 2009.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    65 minutes is a great time if you are yet to used to riding a bike. You'll do really well if you stick at it.

Well done.
  • Jezzaus
    Jezzaus Posts: 24
    Jezzaus.....................Anti..............75kg........64.37.......Mar.......Beginner
    London-red................Anti............85kg.........65.38......Mar........Fitness

Great thread, just the thing for those of us starting out who need a bit of motivation. This was my first crack at the challenge, and first real outing on a proper ride bike.

Unfortunately, the new bike had a bit of a hiccup and I was stuck on the small front ring from start to finish. Not sure how much difference it made, but if you were in the park this afternoon, I was the one spinning like an idiot on the flats/declines, going nowhere fast.

Those hills are a bit of a shock when you're used to commuting in London, eh? Biggest hill I usually face is Battersea Bridge!
  • felgen
    Wow a plethora of times posted inthe last 48 hours! I aim to have more than a couple of goes at this this year - not only is it a good benchmark of your improvment, but its good training in itself -sustained effort.

There are a few people who have posted really good times as newbies. I can see my 57 being mid table by the end of the year if I dont pull my socks up!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • HenryS
    HenryS Posts: 104
    HenryS.......................Clock............77kg.......60.54.......Mar....Junior
    Jezzaus.....................Anti..............75kg........64.37.......Mar.......Beginner

First serious attempt this year and quite suprised :D I'm hoping to get under an hour going clockwise before i have a crack at going anti.
  • andrew40
    andrew40 Posts: 10
    HenryS.......................Clock............77kg.......60.54.......Mar....Junior
    timk.............................Anti.............84kg.........64.00......March.....Fitness

First post, been training through winter and got PB today, on new Planet X, 300mls old weather perfect. Only downside was cars coming straight for you as they insist on trying to overtake bikes coming in opposite direction, they seem to forget about oncoming bikes......DOH!

Other than that it was great to be out in the sunshine, bring on the summer..........
    Rides:
    Planet X FSA Carbon
    Dawes Giro 400
    + 2 Bromptons...;)
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    The competitions getting tougher guys. Here's one of my Addiscombe club mates. :D

Karl..........................Anti..............61kg........54.16.....Mar.......Duathln& Sportivs
    timk.............................Anti.............84kg.........64.00......March.....Fitness
  • cjcp
    Come on, Toks! Where's your time? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,229
    Karl..........................Anti..............61kg........54.16.....Mar.......Duathln& Sportivs
    KingstonGraham......Anti..............74kg........60.02......Mar.....Maybe Sportive/Tri

Can you believe it? All going swimmingly, 2 laps in 39.37, then blocked by Dynamos riding two abreast, then stuck behind traffic between Ham and Kingston gates. There's at least another 30 seconds to come off that.

This is without clipping on the tri bars, and with far from still weather conditions. Bit nicer today, the headwind is between Kingston and Roehampton, rather than up the slog from Roehampton to Richmond.
  • *Rookie*
    *Rookie* Posts: 7
    Rookie........................Anti..............98kg........59.10......Mar.....Sportive/Tri
    KingstonGraham......Anti..............74kg........60.02......Mar.....Maybe Sportive/Tri

went out to enjoy the weather on sunday morning only to go home after one lap due to frustration at the amount of traffic... went back later in the afternoon just before the gates closed, conditions prob as good as i will get. happy to go under the hour mark for the first time.

now if only i could lose some weight. aim to get down to below 90kg and 55mins this year, though i think 55mins might be unrealistic.
  • cjcp
    At 98kg, you must be going like the clappers down Broomfield Hill!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160

Karl.............................Anti..............61kg........54.16.....Mar......Duathln& Sportivs
    seabadger....... .........Anti ............80kg.........55:33.....Mar......MTB
    CJ...............................Anti..............82kg...... .56.31......Mar.....Commuter/Sportive
    RedGreenBaron .....Anti .......... ..70kg........57:40.....Jan......Sportive
    Felgen.......................Anti........... ..96kg........57.53......Mar..... Cat4/'leisure'
    Art Vandelay.............Anti..............76kg........58.50......Feb.....Sportive
    toontra........................Anti..............71kg........58.58......Mar.....Audax
    Rookie........................Anti..............98kg........59.10......Mar.....Sportive/Tri
    Guinea.......................Anti..............90kg.........59.31......Mar....fitness
    HenryS.......................Clock...........77kg........60.54.......Mar....Junior
    Toks............................Anti..............73kg........61.01.......Mar....2nd Cat Roadie
    Rich-Ti........................Anti.........Not sure......61:42.......Feb.....So close it hurts!!
    LuckyPierre................Anti.............82kg........62:05......Jan......Sportive
    Attica..........................Anti..............72kg........62.28.......Mar.....Sportive/Commuter
    Chirg...........................Anti..............78kg........62.42.....Jan.......Commuter
    TheEmu......................Anti.............86kg.........63.04......Mar......Sportive
    mathammond.............Anti.............89kg........63.23......Mar... .Commuter
    timk..............................Anti.............84kg.........64.00......Mar......Fitness
    Rushie.......................Clock............85kg........64.10......Feb......Fixie
    Fuji Mackers...............Anti.............75kg........64.29......Mar.......SS (48x17)
    Jezzaus......................Anti..............75kg........64.37.......Mar......Beginner
    Arpy.............................Anti............106kg.......65.19.......Feb.......Beginner
    London-red................Anti.............85kg.........65.38.......Mar......Fitness
    CC10..........................Anti..............70kg.........65.42.......Mar......Newbie/beginner
    Funkin........................Anti..............80kg.........66.29.......Feb......Tri
    MkyDPky....................Anti..............82kg.........67.34......Mar.......Beginner/Sportive/Triathlon
    Barney1000...............Clock.........101Kg.......68.05......Feb.. ....Fitness
    Steve M,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Anti..............78kg.........69.26.....Feb.......Commuter/Social
    MkyDPky................. ...Anti..............82kg........69.49......Feb.......Beginner Sportive/Triathlon
    itboffin........................C2/A1..........86kg..........70.46.....Jan.......SCR
    Blueskyturnstogrey...Anti.............80kg.........72.22......Jan.......Hopefull
    Wogan........................Anti.............70kg..........75.44......Mar.......Commuter/SkinnyFatman
    Greenbank.................Anti..............82kg........76:04.......Feb......Audax/Fixed
    Beer, anyone?...........Anti.............65kg.........78:22......Feb.......Slow
    roger merriman.........Anti..............85Kg.........80...........Mar.......old steel

Wind from the right direction this morning but a tad too strong for ideal anti conditions. Still, a new PB with almost a minute off.

a serious case of small cogs
  • *Rookie*
    *Rookie* Posts: 7
    Nope - im on the brakes most of the way down for fear of falling off! Pathetic i know.
  • felgen
    I reckon one would hit 40 leptons if one stayed off the brakes down Broomfield Hill and one weighed say 98kgs...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB