Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge 2009

Comments

• Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Rich(-ti) looks like you've got bags to spare there if you're in the 140s. I'm mostly in the 160s, though also maxing mid-170s.
    Too true Nick! Hoping to have a crack at it on Thurs PM, and this time I'll be keeping a closer watch on my heart rate to make sure I'm working at it! :twisted:
  • Stumpy75 & Seabadger - please tell me you set your times on racers and not knobbly tyred MTBs!
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Name.......................Direction. ...Weight.. ...Time.....Month.....TOR

KingstonWheeler.....Anti .............66kg........55:16.....Feb......Anything on 2 wheels
    seabadger....... .........Anti .............?? ...........56.48.....Feb......MTB
    RedGreenBaron ......Anti ............70kg........57:40.....Jan......Sportive
    Art Vandelay.............Anti..............76kg.........58.50......Feb....Sportive
    POD............................Anti .............90kg........59.10 ....Jan..... Undecided
    toontra........................Anti..............72kg........59.28......Feb.....Audax
    Stumpy75 ..................Anti .............78kg........59.46 ....Jan..... MTBer (masters)
    Littigator......................Anti.............76kg........61.37......Feb.....Commuter/Sportive
    Rich-Ti........................Anti.........Not sure......61:42......Feb.....So close it hurts!!
    LuckyPierre................Anti.............82kg........62:05.....Jan......Sportive
    Chirg...........................Anti..............78kg........62.42.....Jan......Commuter
    KingstonGraham......Anti..............75kg........68.14......Feb.....Maybe Sportive/Tri
    MkyDPky....................Anti..............82kg........69.49......Feb.....Beginner Sportive/Triathlon
    itboffin........................C2/A1..........86kg........70.46.....Jan......SCR
    Blueskyturnstogrey...Anti.............80kg........72.22.....Jan......Hopefull
    Greenbank.................Anti.............82kg........76:04......Feb.....Audax/Fixed
    Beer, anyone?...........Anti.............65kg........78:22......Feb.....Slow

Bagged the hour this morning. Perfect conditions - zero wind and warm with a light drizzle, although some drivers going down the west side sticking religiously to the speed limit, leading to long queues of cars, so a bit of room for improvement.

a serious case of small cogs
  • Art -
    Rest assured that I'm on a road bike! (TriandRun Vento I)

The interweb says (so it must be true...) that adopting an aero postion can give you as much as a 6min advantage over 40km. On recent rides i have been experimenting with 'invisible' aero bars - ie holding handlebars a couple of cm from stem, and crouching a bit lower. No idea if it's helping my speed, but it's certainly working out a lot cheaper (and lighter) than those Carbon Strykes.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    seabadger wrote:
    On recent rides i have been experimenting with 'invisible' aero bars - ie holding handlebars a couple of cm from stem, and crouching a bit lower. No idea if it's helping my speed, but it's certainly working out a lot cheaper (and lighter) than those Carbon Strykes.

A-ha! It's Graeme Obree! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    seabadger wrote:
    Art -
    Rest assured that I'm on a road bike! (TriandRun Vento I)

The interweb says (so it must be true...) that adopting an aero postion can give you as much as a 6min advantage over 40km. On recent rides i have been experimenting with 'invisible' aero bars - ie holding handlebars a couple of cm from stem, and crouching a bit lower. No idea if it's helping my speed, but it's certainly working out a lot cheaper (and lighter) than those Carbon Strykes.

I've tried that but it looks a little stupid when i'm only going 11mph :D - no really! :oops:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • funkin
    funkin Posts: 29
    First attempt at this. Early morning ride (in the middle of rush hour) but no major car troubles. Lap times (22:22, 22:04, 22:04). I've done 2 laps quite a few times before and I think my best is just under 20 minutes (last summer) so am not overly impressed with my times today (and my heartrate) but I can understand it as my training hasn't been good at all for a few months.

Name.......................Direction. ...Weight.. ...Time.....Month.....TOR

KingstonWheeler.....Anti .............66kg........55:16.....Feb......Anything on 2 wheels
    seabadger....... .........Anti .............?? ...........56.48.....Feb......MTB
    Art Vandelay.............Anti..............76kg.........58.50......Feb....Sportive
    POD............................Anti .............90kg........59.10 ....Jan..... Undecided
    toontra........................Anti..............72kg........59.28......Feb.....Audax
    Stumpy75 ..................Anti .............78kg........59.46 ....Jan..... MTBer (masters)
    Littigator......................Anti.............76kg........61.37......Feb.....Commuter/Sportive
    Rich-Ti........................Anti.........Not sure......61:42......Feb.....So close it hurts!!
    LuckyPierre................Anti.............82kg........62:05.....Jan......Sportive
    Chirg...........................Anti..............78kg........62.42.....Jan......Commuter
    Funkin.......................Anti..............80kg........66.29......Feb......Tri
    KingstonGraham......Anti..............75kg........68.14......Feb.....Maybe Sportive/Tri
    MkyDPky....................Anti..............82kg........69.49......Feb.....Beginner Sportive/Triathlon
    itboffin........................C2/A1..........86kg........70.46.....Jan......SCR
    Greenbank.................Anti.............82kg........76:04......Feb.....Audax/Fixed
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • name.......................Direction. ...Weight.. ...Time.....Month.....TOR

KingstonWheeler.....Anti .............66kg........53:37.....Feb......Anything on 2 wheels
    Barney1000................Clock.........101Kg.......68.05.....Feb......Fitness
  • funkin
    funkin Posts: 29
    Just adding myself back in as I seem to have been lost in the previous two updates.

name.......................Direction. ...Weight.. ...Time.....Month.....TOR

KingstonWheeler.....Anti .............66kg........53:37.....Feb......Anything on 2 wheels
    Funkin.......................Anti..............80kg........66.29......Feb......Tri
  • Oh dear two visits to RP, rounded the Kingston gate Chain snapped, not to be deterred I pitched back up on Tuesday (they say lightning doesn't strike twice), well it did 2 rides two snapped chains .

I'll be back for 3rd time lucky....
  • steve-m
    steve-m Posts: 106

Steve M,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Anti..............78kg.........69.26 .....Feb....Commuter/Social

Harder than I thought, was on the road/audax bike today.
    Fixed, commute: Langster 08, FCN6
    Road : Aravis (byercycles) Shimano 105 triple
    Hybrid: Trek 7.2 FX, unused / unloved
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Traffic was horrendous today but a good baseline for 2009 (considering it's my PB).

Can't believe we're in March already. There were a lot of riders out today (and yesterday for that matter) so I'd expect a big flurry of times to be posted.

TheEmu......................Anti.............86kg.........63.04......March....Sportive
    Steve M,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Anti..............78kg.........69.26 .....Feb....Commuter/Social

The long grazed legged one
  • Arpy
    Arpy Posts: 8
    Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and following the thread with interest waiting for broken wrist to recover before giving it a go. Aiming to do a couple of sportives over the summer, drop a few kg and hopefully break the magic hour mark.

TheEmu......................Anti.............86kg.........63.04......March....Sportive
    Arpy...........................Anti...........106kg........65.19......Feb........Beginner
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Great to see this thread really taking off now that spring has sprung. A good mixture of old and new posters, with the old ones mostly 3 or 4 minutes off their best, as would be expected.

The arrival of Jamie (Littigator) is worrying, of course, as it heralds an invasion by the Commuter crowd. Alternatively, given he started an (almost) identically named thread, we can all decamp over there. And for those who don't know him, when Jamie mentions the wind, it is with justification, given the surplus vertical inches he carries around.

Nick

Wotcha Nick

Yes indeedy, I have signalled carefully right at the junction in my his vis vest, moved into the centre lane and turned cautiously across the oncoming lane into the Road thread for a change.

As ITB mentioned, I'm moving off to Kenya at the end of March and my roadbike is on Ebay :cry:

So as today the sun is shining and the wind at a more reasonble 6mph, I'm off to see if I can do a sub 1hour whilst I still own the hardware to do it. Wish me luck :D
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    Needed a ride but couldn't take the whole day away from the kids to go mountain biking so tried this for the first time yesterday. My only road bike's my 44/16 fixie so that's what I used. Spinning out like a madman on the descents and grunting up the climbs. Splendid. Might need to man up and put a 46 on the front if I'm going to improve my time, but will have another go as is this w/e.

Rushie.......................Clock............85kg........64.10......Feb.........Fixie
    Arpy...........................Anti...........106kg........65.19......Feb........Beginner
    Beer, anyone?...........Anti.............65kg........78:22......Feb.....Slow[/b]
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Right, that's that then. My last chance at cracking an hour before I sell my road bike and move abroad. And I JUST made it despite the huge amount of traffic crawling around and the number of overtakes I had to do.

Littigator......................Anti.............76kg........59.52......Feb.....Commuter/Sportive
    Rushie.......................Clock............85kg........64.10......Feb.........Fixie
    Beer, anyone?...........Anti.............65kg........78:22......Feb.....Slow[/b]
    [/code]
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Littigator wrote:
    Littigator......................Anti.............76kg........59.52......Feb.....Commuter/Sportive
    Nice one.
    Sorry to see you go, but I'm sure it's all in a good cause. You can take a leaf out of Terry's (El Tel) book and pick where you left off over there.
  • Arpy wrote:
    Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and following the thread with interest waiting for broken wrist to recover before giving it a go.
    Looks like you've been doing more than just lurking - that's gotta be the second best weight-adjusted time after POD (OK I've no idea how to weight adjust a time, but it's still damn impressive).
  • The emu wrote:
    Traffic was horrendous today but a good baseline for 2009 (considering it's my PB).

Good one Wilf. The magic hour in reach before your bones get broken, I hope!
  • cjcp wrote:
    However, if Toks is around [I think of him as a sort of moderator for this thread], he might wish to comment. He might also wish to post a time!
    Nick

RGB - looks like you've kept fit over the winter. I think I'd struggle to get under 60 mins at the moment. May try this weekend.
    Well, out of the regulars we are on tenterhooks for you, Toks, Andrew Bye, Matt and maybe shaved legs. I reckon Mark D could pop up in the 53s already, if he actually risked his 'good bike'.
    I did get 4 long rides and 5 runs in a month in Seville over Christmas, which helped.
    The question is whether I can actually find time to ride more than once a week this spring, and so aim for 55ish.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Littigator wrote:
    Right, that's that then. My last chance at cracking an hour before I sell my road bike and move abroad. And I JUST made it despite the huge amount of traffic crawling around and the number of overtakes I had to do.

Littigator......................Anti.............76kg........59.52......Mar.....Commuter/Sportive
    [/code]

Very nice old chap but it's actual March now :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    The emu wrote:

Good one Wilf. The magic hour in reach before your bones get broken, I hope!

Thanks Nick, yes I hope too.

Is it just me or is there more traffic on the road this year than last year and it's not even summer yet?

Also I conveniently neglected to mention that I got overtaken by a chap on a fixie :oops: going up hill whlst doing my 3 laps. Had a quick chat with him, as I couldn't believe his climbing ability, he was an absolute machine!

The long grazed legged one
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Hey my favourite thread is warming up nicely. :D I've just popped in to make sure that the 'naughty people' are posting their times on the list and not seperately :twisted: . Can you believe my heart rate monitor watch failed a couple of Sunday;s ago so I could record my time. Jees! that time by KW is pretty hot for this time of year and how on earth 106 kilo grammed fella gets around in 65mins is beyond me. :o Chapeau. Hopefully I'll post a time next week. Good luck you 3 lappers and please be careful :D
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    edited March 2009
    Attica..........................Anti..............72kg........62.28.....March......Sportive/Commuter

Yet another commuter taking up the challenge and a yokel at that.
    A time set on the back of a night at Biondino's in the company of other commuter types and a ready supply of beer, I really did not feel good doing this. Traffic ruined the descent of the steep bit every time and slow bikes held up a queue of traffic all the way up the long drag away from the coffee shop on the last lap, it really is a bit of a lottery on a Sunday morning. Still if I ever come back I've got that big hour target in my sights. I know I can do better doesn't really cut the mustard does it?
    There was a guy on a Spesh with a blue Assos top who crept away from me over the three laps and made perhaps 300 yards on me over the whole thing, otherwise I kept my scalp intact at least as I started behind him, we traded places a couple of times then I started drifting slowly slowly back from him, any of you lot by any chance? I was the pillock in a Discovery top on a Giant.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • attica
    edited March 2009
    Duplicate post thanks to the forum having a lie down
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • attica
    edited March 2009
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • attica
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • POD1
    POD1 Posts: 15
    RedGreenBaron wrote;
    Looks like you've been doing more than just lurking - that's gotta be the second best weight-adjusted time after POD (OK I've no idea how to weight adjust a time, but it's still damn impressive).

Are you implying I'm heavy??? I’m not, I’m tall and big boned!!
    :( Much as it pains me to admit it, I'm about 15kg heavier than when I raced seriously (many, many years ago) and about 10kg heavier than when I raced sporadically (2-3 years ago). Getting older and lazier (and having 6 month old twins) plays havoc with your weight/metabolism….that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it. Probably also explains why, in RP, I tend to pass most people on the flats/descents but get murdered on the hills.
    Am half thinking of doing the Etape this year. Have done the Ventoux on my Tacx trainer a few times and definitely need to get the power up and the weight down. RP 3 lap challenge is one way to motivate ones self and keep track of this. Have only been in the park 3 times this year and only timed myself once, plenty of room for the heavier rider to improve.

So next time you see a larger individual on a flash Cervelo wearing red Assos (may be big but certainly not self conscious) a bit of encouragement on the hills rather than thoughts of “fat bas***d” would be appreciated…
    :D
  • seabadger
    seabadger Posts: 26
    seabadger....... .........Anti ...........80kg.........55:33......Mar......MTB
    Attica..........................Anti..............72kg........62.28.....March......Sportive/Commuter

another chunk of time shaved off today. big thanks to whoever dreamed up this 3 lap challenge - it's proving to be a great motivation for fitness![/i]