Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge 2009

Comments

• noone have a go on a skidoo this week?
  • Name.......................Direction. ...Weight.. ...Time.....Month.....TOR
    RedGreenBaron .......Anti .............70kg........57:40.....Jan......Sportive
    POD...........................Anti .............90kg........59.10 ....Jan..... Undecided
    Stumpy75 .................Anti .............78kg........59.46 ....Jan..... MTBer (masters)
    LuckyPierre...............Anti..............82kg........62:05.....Jan......Sportive
    Chirg..........................Anti..............78kg........62.42.....Jan......Commuter
    Toontra......................Anti..............74kg........65.52.....Jan......Touring
    MkyDPky....................Anti..............82kg........69.49......Feb.....Beginner Sportive/Triathlon
    itboffin.......................C2/A1...........86kg........70.46.....Jan......SCR
    Blueskyturnstogrey...Anti...............80kg........72.22.....Jan......Hopefull
  • 2+3/4 laps (got to top of Broomfield Hill, going anti-clockwise, and just had to go down and along to Roehampton Gate to finish the 3 laps) where I was stopped and told to go back as I hadn't noticed the signs about the deer cull (Doh!).

I'll make a guess at what my 3-lap time would have been, it was only a gentle night-time spin so I'm guessing about 75 minutes based on the two 25 minute laps. Happy to prop up the table before I get a proper day-time go at it.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • New name at the bottom:-

Name.......................Direction. ...Weight.. ...Time.....Month.....TOR
    RedGreenBaron .......Anti .............70kg........57:40.....Jan......Sportive
    POD...........................Anti .............90kg........59.10 ....Jan..... Undecided
    Stumpy75 .................Anti .............78kg........59.46 ....Jan..... MTBer (masters)
    LuckyPierre...............Anti..............82kg........62:05.....Jan......Sportive
    Chirg..........................Anti..............78kg........62.42.....Jan......Commuter
    Toontra......................Anti..............74kg........65.52.....Jan......Touring
    MkyDPky....................Anti..............82kg........69.49......Feb.....Beginner Sportive/Triathlon
    itboffin.......................C2/A1...........86kg........70.46.....Jan......SCR
    Blueskyturnstogrey...Anti...............80kg........72.22.....Jan......Hopefull
    Greenbank.................Anti...............82kg.......77:46......Feb.....Audax/Fixed

Night time, 67" fixed and post-commute.
    --
  • Traffic, wind, no aero bars (plus first time out this year).That's the excuses out of the way, just 10 minutes to find to match last year.

RedGreenBaron ......Anti ............70kg........57:40.....Jan......Sportive
    POD............................Anti ............90kg........59.10 ....Jan..... Undecided
    Stumpy75 ..................Anti ............78kg........59.46 ....Jan..... MTBer (masters)
    LuckyPierre................Anti.............82kg........62:05.....Jan......Sportive
    Chirg...........................Anti.............78kg........62.42.....Jan......Commuter
    Toontra.......................Anti.............74kg........65.52.....Jan......Touring
    KingstonGraham......Anti.............75kg........68.14.....Feb......Maybe Sportive/Tri
    MkyDPky.....................Anti.............82kg........69.49......Feb.....Beginner Sportive/Triathlon
    itboffin........................C2/A1..........86kg........70.46.....Jan......SCR
    Blueskyturnstogrey...Anti.............80kg........72.22.....Jan......Hopefull
    Greenbank.................Anti.............82kg........77:46......Feb.....Audax/Fixed
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Traffic, wind, no aero bars (plus first time out this year).That's the excuses out of the way, just 10 minutes to find to match last year.

Today was a bad day KG. As you say, traffic, horses, the "wrong" wind and generally drab and uninspiring. I was a minute down on my already feeble January time.

a serious case of small cogs
  • toontra wrote:
    Traffic, wind, no aero bars (plus first time out this year).That's the excuses out of the way, just 10 minutes to find to match last year.

Today was a bad day KG. As you say, traffic, horses, the "wrong" wind and generally drab and uninspiring. I was a minute down on my already feeble January time.

The deer were pretty though.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    just out of curiosity for those of us who have never ridden in Richmond Park, what sort of distance are we talking about here?
    Ta
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Cheshley wrote:
    just out of curiosity for those of us who have never ridden in Richmond Park, what sort of distance are we talking about here?
    Ta

10.78km per lap anti-clockwise (give or take!) so total distance is 32.3km
  • Cheshley
    ta muchly
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Therefore 3 laps is within a gnat's chuff of 20 miles.

a serious case of small cogs
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    An impromptu "sod it, why not" crack at a 3-lapper this evening to release some pent-up anger :twisted:

Thought I'd cracked it this time, but apparently not... :(

POD............................Anti ............90kg........59.10 ....Jan..... Undecided
    Stumpy75 ..................Anti ............78kg........59.46 ....Jan..... MTBer (masters)
    Rich-Ti........................Anti........Not sure....61:42......Feb.....So close it hurts!!
    LuckyPierre................Anti.............82kg........62:05.....Jan......Sportive
    Chirg...........................Anti.............78kg........62.42.....Jan......Commuter
    Toontra.......................Anti.............74kg........65.52.....Jan......Touring
    KingstonGraham......Anti.............75kg........68.14.....Feb......Maybe Sportive/Tri
    MkyDPky.....................Anti.............82kg........69.49......Feb.....Beginner Sportive/Triathlon
    itboffin........................C2/A1..........86kg........70.46.....Jan......SCR
    Greenbank.................Anti.............82kg........77:46......Feb.....Audax/Fixed

Still, I'm up on last year's finish of 62:16... just! :lol:
  • toontra wrote:

Therefore if you go under the hour you're a criminal.
  • Cheshley
    toontra wrote:

Therefore if you go under the hour you're a criminal.

Under an hour? I doubt I could do it in 2!!!!!!!!!
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Having checked my Garmin readouts I'm a bit annoyed with myself - was working at an average HR of only 145bpm, and only maxed out at 175! Good in that my previous efforts were ave 170bpm and max 185bpm so I've clearly got fitter, but bad in that I could have gone much harder!
  • Wahey! I've got the coveted spot at the bottom of the table :) Although I'm happy enough that I made it to the park, went round three times, made it back home all in time for breakfast... well... lunch... but that's beside the point. And on a hybrid commuter thingy trying to pass off my 8-speed hub as a single speed...

Rich-Ti........................Anti........Not sure....61:42......Feb.....So close it hurts!!
    Beer, anyone?...........Anti.............65kg........78:22......Feb.....Slow
  • If you think that result is so close it hurts, how do you think this feels for a pb in the Richmond Park parkrun 5K

Date...............Position.......RunTime
    06-Sep-08....11 / 105.......20:02

Two damn seconds!
  • Managed to get to the park around 4pm yesterday; not much traffic, no wind, resulting in a cheeky 56.48.

seabadger....... .........Anti .............?? ...........56.48.....Feb......MTB
  • First time round for months! Mild and sunny but the wind was definitely in my face for 3/4 of the lap :roll: Felt badly fueled despite the bowl of porridge. Slower than last year :(

seabadger....... .........Anti .............?? ...........56.48.....Feb......MTB
    Art Vandelay.............Anti............76kg.........58.50......Feb....Sportive
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    First time round for months! Mild and sunny but the wind was definitely in my face for 3/4 of the lap :roll: Felt badly fueled despite the bowl of porridge. Slower than last year
    Good effort in the wind yesterday Art. I was in there going anti and the only place the wind didn't feel like it was in your face was going up the hill from Kingston Gate.
    I assume you were not there around midday. The traffic standstill by one of the car parks would surely have put paid to any decent time.

regards.jpgfrom.jpgsnakehips.jpg
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • PO Paul
    PO Paul Posts: 114
    Serious question.....

I've been to RP loads of times with the wife and kids and our mountain bikes on the track around the park, but always wanted to take my road bike as well. I think this 3 lap challenge thing will finally get me out there.

Here's the (serious/silly?) question, is the lap/route easy to follow? For example, I know there is a road that leads off to the Pen Ponds, there's probably others as well. Any advice, obvious indicators to stay on the lap?

Thanks
  • steve-m
    steve-m Posts: 106
    PO Paul wrote:
    Serious question.....

Here's the (serious/silly?) question, is the lap/route easy to follow? For example, I know there is a road that leads off to the Pen Ponds, there's probably others as well. Any advice, obvious indicators to stay on the lap?

Thanks

Seriously easy, went there Saturday for the first time, there was only ever one moment of uncertainty, though that was fairly obvious.

Only spotted this thread on Sunday so never did the 3x TT, next week am intending[1] to go twice, once on roadie, once on fixed[2], am I allowed two entries in the list or does that have the potential get silly?

[1] Friday drinks withstanding
    [2] If I get a 14 rear sprocket by then, the 16 restricts my downhill speed
    Fixed, commute: Langster 08, FCN6
    Road : Aravis (byercycles) Shimano 105 triple
    Hybrid: Trek 7.2 FX, unused / unloved
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    My first attempt and it was cold and windy so not ixdeal conditions:

Art Vandelay.............Anti............76kg.........58.50......Feb....Sportive
    Littigator......................Anti.............76kg........61.37.....Feb.....Commuter/Sportive
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Great to see this thread really taking off now that spring has sprung. A good mixture of old and new posters, with the old ones mostly 3 or 4 minutes off their best, as would be expected.

The arrival of Jamie (Littigator) is worrying, of course, as it heralds an invasion by the Commuter crowd. Alternatively, given he started an (almost) identically named thread, we can all decamp over there. And for those who don't know him, when Jamie mentions the wind, it is with justification, given the surplus vertical inches he carries around.

Rich(-ti) looks like you've got bags to spare there if you're in the 140s. I'm mostly in the 160s, though also maxing mid-170s.
    steve-m wrote:
    am I allowed two entries in the list or does that have the potential get silly?
    Given the earlier interest in the fixed comparisons, I don't see why not, on the assumption there will only be a handful of double entries. However, if Toks is around [I think of him as a sort of moderator for this thread], he might wish to comment. He might also wish to post a time!

Nick
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I wouldn't worry about LITTs he's shortly to depart this fair isle for warmer climates.

As for the commuter invasion you're correct we've been secretly amassing an invincible army of hi-viz wearing hybrid riders ready to spring into action and flood the bottom of your league :evil:

Truth is many of us already meet at the park most weekends, I just don't think the majority have made their way to this thread yet.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Name.......................Direction. ...Weight.. ...Time.....Month.....TOR
    KingstonWheeler.....Anti ...........66kg..........55:16...Feb.........Anything on 2 wheels
    Littigator......................Anti.............76kg........61.37.....Feb.....Commuter/Sportive
    Greenbank.................Anti.............82kg........76:04......Feb.....Audax/Fixed

Slight improvement but still lots to do. Dark, a bit of a breeze and straight off the back of my commute where I was hardly taking it easy.

200km Audax on Saturday but if my legs feel up to it I may take the geared Audax bike for a spin round the park on Sunday to help the fixed/geared comparison.
    --
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Given the earlier interest in the fixed comparisons, I don't see why not, on the assumption there will only be a handful of double entries. However, if Toks is around [I think of him as a sort of moderator for this thread], he might wish to comment. He might also wish to post a time!

Nick

Yep, don't see a problem. Think it would be an interesting comparison.

RGB - looks like you've kept fit over the winter. I think I'd struggle to get under 60 mins at the moment. May try this weekend.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Great to see this thread really taking off now that spring has sprung.
    True - one day of sunshine and everyone's out!
    snakehips wrote:
    I assume you were not there around midday. The traffic standstill by one of the car parks would surely have put paid to any decent time.
    I see Mr Gilbert's on the case with this. Between 10 and 11am it was a surprisingly car free run.

I knew my time on the podium was going to be brief :evil:
  • steve-m
    steve-m Posts: 106
    cjcp wrote:

Nick

Yep, don't see a problem. Think it would be an interesting comparison.

RGB - looks like you've kept fit over the winter. I think I'd struggle to get under 60 mins at the moment. May try this weekend.

Good-oh then. Plan is to get a bag of 100Ks (other thread) on Sat / Sun using the fixed and audax bikes, which one depends on who is coming with me. Need to think about the fixed ratio, it is currently 42/16 and I rode to, 3x around and back for last weekend's 100K, I suspect I lost a lot of time on the downhills - 45K was the max speed that felt safe - that was before I knew about this thread - so am thinking 42/14 perhaps.

Of course plans could change depending on weather and Friday night.
    Fixed, commute: Langster 08, FCN6
    Road : Aravis (byercycles) Shimano 105 triple
    Hybrid: Trek 7.2 FX, unused / unloved