attica Posts: 2,362
    Good show SB
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    seabadger wrote:
    another chunk of time shaved off today. big thanks to whoever dreamed up this 3 lap challenge - it's proving to be a great motivation for fitness![/i]
    You're most Welcome Sir :D:D

I was pretty fired up this afternoon for my first attempt this year but lots of mini disasters on the first and second lap meant only a mediocre time (for me at least). So here is some advice to myself:
    1. Don't drop your pump :x
    2. A few minutes later don't then drop you puncture kit :x
    3. Don't attempt it when they are cutting branches off trees cause they will make you stop and wait :x
    4..Pick a day where at least one stretch of the park is headwind free :evil:

Keep up the training dudes, I 'll give this another go in the next couple of weeks :D

name.......................Direction. ...Weight.. ...Time.....Month.....TOR
    KingstonWheeler.....Anti .............66kg........53:37.....Feb......Anything on 2 wheels
    seabadger....... .........Anti ...........80kg.........55:33......Mar......MTB[
    RedGreenBaron ......Anti ............70kg........57:40.....Jan......Sportive
    Art Vandelay.............Anti..............76kg.........58.50......Feb....Sportive
    POD............................Anti .............90kg........59.10 ....Jan..... Undecided
    toontra........................Anti..............72kg........59.28......Feb.....Audax
    Stumpy75 ..................Anti .............78kg........59.46 ....Jan..... MTBer (masters)
    Littigator......................Anti.............76kg........59.52......Feb.....Commuter/Sportive
    Toks............................Anti.............73kg.......61.01.......March...2nd Cat Roadie
    Rich-Ti........................Anti.........Not sure......61:42......Feb.....So close it hurts!!
    LuckyPierre................Anti.............82kg........62:05.....Jan......Sportive
    Attica..........................Anti..............72kg........62.28.....March......Sportive/Commuter
    Chirg...........................Anti..............78kg........62.42.....Jan......Commuter
    TheEmu......................Anti.............86kg.........63.04......March....Sportive
    Rushie.......................Clock............85kg........64.10......Feb.........Fixie
    Arpy...........................Anti...........106kg........65.19......Feb........Beginner
    Funkin.......................Anti..............80kg........66.29......Feb......Tri
    Barney1000................Clock.........101Kg.......68.05.....Feb......Fitness
    KingstonGraham......Anti..............75kg........68.14......Feb.....Maybe Sportive/Tri
    Steve M,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Anti..............78kg.........69.26 .....Feb....Commuter/Social
    MkyDPky....................Anti..............82kg........69.49......Feb.....Beginner Sportive/Triathlon
    itboffin........................C2/A1..........86kg........70.46.....Jan......SCR
    Blueskyturnstogrey...Anti.............80kg........72.22.....Jan......Hopefull
    Greenbank.................Anti.............82kg........76:04......Feb.....Audax/Fixed
    Beer, anyone?...........Anti.............65kg........78:22......Feb.....Slow
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Attica wrote:
    Good show SB

+1

That's a belter of a time.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Toks wrote:
    seabadger wrote:
    4..Pick a day where at least one stretch of the park is headwind free :evil:

/quote]

Is that possible???v :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247
    The wind! I almost quit after one lap, then saw my time, so carried on to post a season's best. This was the day after going up Box Hill, and just after going swimming, so not too many weeks to the sub 60 this year hopefully.

KingstonWheeler.....Anti .............66kg........53:37.....Feb......Anything on 2 wheels
    Art Vandelay.............Anti..............76kg.........58.50......Feb....Sportive
    POD............................Anti .............90kg........59.10 ....Jan..... Undecided
    toontra........................Anti..............72kg........59.28......Feb.....Audax
    Stumpy75 ..................Anti .............78kg........59.46 ....Jan..... MTBer (masters)
    Littigator......................Anti.............76kg........59.52......Feb.....Commuter/Sportive
    Toks............................Anti.............73kg.......61.01.......March...2nd Cat Roadie
    Rich-Ti........................Anti.........Not sure......61:42......Feb.....So close it hurts!!
    LuckyPierre................Anti.............82kg........62:05.....Jan......Sportive
    Attica..........................Anti..............72kg........62.28.....March......Sportive/Commuter
    Chirg...........................Anti..............78kg........62.42.....Jan......Commuter
    KingstonGraham......Anti..............75kg........62.56......Mar.....Maybe Sportive/Tri
    TheEmu......................Anti.............86kg.........63.04......March....Sportive
    Rushie.......................Clock............85kg........64.10......Feb.........Fixie
    Arpy...........................Anti...........106kg........65.19......Feb........Beginner
    Funkin.......................Anti..............80kg........66.29......Feb......Tri
    Steve M,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Anti..............78kg.........69.26 .....Feb....Commuter/Social
    MkyDPky....................Anti..............82kg........69.49......Feb.....Beginner Sportive/Triathlon
    itboffin........................C2/A1..........86kg........70.46.....Jan......SCR
    Greenbank.................Anti.............82kg........76:04......Feb.....Audax/Fixed
  • Shavedlegs
    Shavedlegs Posts: 310
    I should be having a go tomorrow morning. I've missed this thread, hopefully I'll be getting to the Park more this year. I'm not expecting to set a great time due to wind and lack of training etc.

If anyone else is about say/shout hello or bikeradar. As always I'll be in blue and white kit. Always happy to have company for a cup of tea afterwards, don't be shy (I may just pay).
  • cjcp
    Chaps,

Anyone know if the cull is over? I've not been around for the last week, so don't know if it's still on. I have a feeling it's another week or so.

I'm considering a first attempt for 2009 first thing tomorrow morning. I'll get my excuses in now :) :

1. first attempt for 2009;
    2. feeling bunged up;
    3. i've not been on the bike for over a week and have had an appalling week abroad in terms of eating and sleeping due to work (probably why bunged up);
    4. I've never set a PB in the morning.

ShavedLegs - how's things, mate? As much as it would be good to say "hi", I'd prefer it if you didn't zip past me tomorrow! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    cjcp wrote:
    Chaps,

Anyone know if the cull is over? I've not been around for the last week, so don't know if it's still on. I have a feeling it's another week or so.

I'm considering a first attempt for 2009 first thing tomorrow morning. I'll get my excuses in now :) :

1. first attempt for 2009;
    2. feeling bunged up;
    3. i've not been on the bike for over a week and have had an appalling week abroad in terms of eating and sleeping due to work (probably why bunged up);
    4. I've never set a PB in the morning.

ShavedLegs - how's things, mate? As much as it would be good to say "hi", I'd prefer it if you didn't zip past me tomorrow! :)

toying with the same idea my self, been hit by man flu! today so fairly wiped out but i'm dieing to take the bike out so might go for spin early, or there again i may not!
  • cjcp
    Go on! :wink:

Have a hot toddy and got to bed now.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Oh dear. Didn't break the hour. Strong headwind and took Broomfield very slowly because it was slippy, but clearly have lots of work to do. Am about 3-4 mins behind where I was this time last year. :? ShavedLegs went past me like I was standing still.

CJ...............................Anti..............83kg........60.50......Mar.....Commuter/Sportive
    KingstonGraham......Anti..............75kg........62.56......Mar.....Maybe Sportive/Tri
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Shavedlegs
    Sorry KingstonWheeler. Surprised myself with my first outing not on a fixed with a child seat.

Shavedlegs..............Anti..............73............53.34.....Feb......2nd Cat
    CJ...............................Anti..............83kg........60.50......Mar.....Commuter/Sportive

Room for improvement, the wind was pretty strong and the traffic was as awful.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    another one with room for improvment! plenty of reasons why, main being i'm not terribly fit at all at the moment.

roger merriman.........Anti..............85Kg.......80..........march.....old steel.
  • Shavedlegs
    Just realised it is March already!

Shavedlegs...............Anti.............73kg........53:34.....Mar......2nd Cat.
    roger merriman.........Anti..............85Kg.......80..........march.....old steel
  • phew, struggled with the wind this afternoon, nearly ground to a halt going up the hill approaching Richmond gate every lap. If I make it under 60 mins will be chuffed, just wonder about a bigger gear? Rushie - what were you running?

Shavedlegs...............Anti.............73kg........53:34.....Mar......2nd Cat.
    Fuji Mackers...............Anti.............75kg........64.29......Mar..........SS (48x17)
    roger merriman.........Anti..............85Kg.......80..........march.....old steel
  • MkyDPky
    MkyDPky Posts: 39
    seabadger....... .........Anti ...........80kg.........55:33......Mar......MTB
    Fuji Mackers...............Anti.............75kg........64.29......Mar..........SS (48x17)
    MkyDPky...................Anti..............82kg.........67.34.....Mar.....Beginner Sportive/Triathlon
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Does anyone use a power meter in the park? If so, I'm wondering what he average wattage would be for a 71k person (i.e. me) to do the three laps in an hour. I'm trying to work out my FTP - based on the gym trainer I think it's about 250-60 but this could be way out.

a serious case of small cogs
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    toontra wrote:
    Does anyone use a power meter in the park?

Stumpy did right near the start of the thread...
    stumpy75 wrote:
    (the effort was part of a longer training ride, )

Stumpy75 ..............Anti .............78kg........59.46 ....Jan..... MTBer (masters)

in case anyone is interested that run also has a few extra stats..

Average Power: 284watts
    Max Power: 1203watts
    Av HR: 179bpm
    Av Cadence: 95rpm

284W for a 78kg rider doing a shade under the hour.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • toontra
    Ah, thanks for that Greenbank. That sounds about right then - at 71k I'm probably turning out about 250-60 (although I don't have the maths to conform this :? )

• Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    toontra wrote:
    Ah, thanks for that Greenbank. That sounds about right then - at 71k I'm probably turning out about 250-60 (although I don't have the maths to conform this :? )

The maths will be horribly tricky as the majority of the power input will be going to overcome air-resistance which isn't directly proportional to rider weight.

250-260 is a good enough figure though. You're only ever going to find out your own power figure if you do your own ride on a bike with a power meter. I don't know if anywhere local rents them (a PowerTap wheel would be easier to borrow than SRM cranks)...
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247
    KingstonGraham......Anti..............75kg........61.20......Mar.....Maybe Sportive/Tri
    MkyDPky...................Anti..............82kg.........67.34.....Mar.....Beginner Sportive/Triathlon

Another few seconds off - I reckon I'll try with the tri bars next week and hopefully break the hour. If I choose my day carefully. Bit of a nasty headwind up the grind to Richmond Gate today.
  • toontra
    Tuesday is looking auspicious in terms of wind direction - low NE which I find the best for anti.

• Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    I did one lap on Thursday evening - the wind going up Sawyer's Hill was unbelievable. Needless to say there were no records being smashed that day. Saw someone with TT bars going full out in clock - anyone here?
  • cjcp
    I did one lap on Thursday evening - the wind going up Sawyer's Hill was unbelievable.

+1. Did it on the way home with a backpack and damn near stopped and fell sideways. My easiest gear at the moment is a 53x19 (new chain needed) and I was really struggling.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Felgen.......................Anti.............96kg........57.53.....Mar..... Cat4/'leisure'
    KingstonGraham......Anti..............75kg........61.20......Mar.....Maybe Sportive/Tri

Well, I am quite pleased with that considering there was significant:
    a) Traffic holdups
    b) Sawyers Hill headwind
    In fact it is a PB - I just wish I hadn't larded out and put weight back on I really noticed it on the climbs.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Seriously good time Felgen - especially with the wind today. Great effort 8)
  • Indeed well done James.
    Well done, CJ and Toks for motivating yourself. I imagine you'll pass us within a month or so. And Roger for overcoming the man flu.
    And shaved legs who might have surpised himself but not the rest of us.
    And Mky for chopping a couple of minutes off.
    31 and counting.

I did make it to RP finally late yesterday afternoon, really just to spin, having been away for most of the last month. The wind was unusually northerly, so it didn't seem as bad as usual for much of the lap, though this also meant the tailwind for the TT to the Roehampton Cafe was absent. I managed a couple of laps just over 19 but wasn't going to break 57 so used the imminent darkness as an excuse to go home.
    I think, as for James, under 57 is just a traffic-free ride away. 18 min laps still look like a different league, though.

Nick
  • cjcp
    Indeed well done James.
    Well done, CJ and Toks for motivating yourself. I imagine you'll pass us within a month or so.

Don't be so sure! Competition looks stiffer this year judging by these times. :)

Am going to have another pop this morning. I'm coughing up some unpleasant things, so aiming only to break 60 mins, but look at the blue sky! Can't not go out when it's like that. :)

Looking back at last week's ride and how I felt on the commute through the Park on two occasions this week compared to going round the Park, I realised how much speed and fitness I'd lost by not being able to ride quickly for 3.5 miles from Priory Lane to Kingston Gate. The target this year is a sub-54min, but there's lots to do.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    cjcp wrote:
    Indeed well done James.
    Well done, CJ and Toks for motivating yourself. I imagine you'll pass us within a month or so.

Don't be so sure! Competition looks stiffer this year judging by these times. :)

Am going to have another pop this morning. I'm coughing up some unpleasant things, so aiming only to break 60 mins, but look at the blue sky! Can't not go out when it's like that. :)

Looking back at last week's ride and how I felt on the commute through the Park on two occasions this week compared to going round the Park, I realised how much speed and fitness I'd lost by not being able to ride quickly for 3.5 miles from Priory Lane to Kingston Gate. The target this year is a sub-54min, but there's lots to do.

May the force be with you :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    CJ...............................Anti..............82kg.......56.31......Mar.....Commuter/Sportive
    Felgen.......................Anti.............96kg........57.53.....Mar..... Cat4/'leisure'

OMG that hurt. :shock:

Posted 18.36 for the first lap, but things didn't look good when I inadvertently cleared my nose onto my knee and whatever it was looked radioactive. Sure enough, things started to go wrong on lap 2, particularly on the drag up to Richmond Gate, and did 19.02. Really had to dig deep the final time up Sawyer's Hill and tried to maintain a rhythm until Pembroke Lodge, when I just pedalled as hard as I could - the saliva started to fly and the legs started to cramp - and posted 18.53 for the final lap.

My backside hurts like hell (new saddle yesterday) and my quads are in an awful state. I had to go for a spin round the block before going home. I'm getting too old for this silliness. :)

Lovely conditions though. :D Get out there everyone! Ideal for a good time.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    CJCP wrote:
    Lovely conditions though. :D Get out there everyone! Ideal for a good time.
    I agree - I am off to the park in a minute (missed clubrun because forgot to charge the Garmin and I cant bear riding without innumerate stats to dissect on my return). Well, that and the minor hangover

Oh and good effort CJ - was it reasonably traffic free this morning?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB