Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• Ta. I had a look at those routes, but while they look nice, they're a bit inaccessible for anyone trying to do a daytrip on public transport. I've come up with some ideas that start and finish within reach of a decent train service. They include a 40 mile shuttle run of the Conwy Valley, a 60 mile circuit of Northern Snowdonia, and a 60 mile ride from Wrexham to Llandudno.

Can I take a straw poll on people that would be interested in doing a ride come May(?), and any route preference?
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Anyone want to join me in RP on Sunday?

And anyone else up for the IOW trip?
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Jen J wrote:
    Aye. Need to get some wintery miles in before HOTA...

Welcome back BTW
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    edited December 2008
    The world is a crazy place.

Our little trip to the IOW for example...

4 people as foot passengers - £48 day return total (with bikes)

4 people with bikes on top of their car - £15 day return

How does that work?

Anyway - Jen, Blondie and Attica (and any other takers, though the B and B is
    now full). We can leave at 7.30am or 9am from Southampton - 10 mins from linsen central.(1 hour crossing) and come back on a 16.30 (no chance - I plan a long lunch!), 18.00 or 19.30 boat. What do you think of all that?
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Hey Linsen!

When is your IOW ride?

And is the B&B in Southampton? I could drive down in the morning... theoretically... or stay elsewhere.

And I have a giant car with the potential to carry many bikes/people...

Obviously, this depends on the answer to Q1!!
  • linsen
    Hey LiT come with us! Look at your PMs...
  • linsen wrote:
    Hey LiT come with us! Look at your PMs...

I haven't received any PMs today :(
  • linsen
    Oh yes you have!!
  • Oooohhhhhhhhh no I haven't... :D

Actually I have. And replied.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    <panto shouting> He's behind you! <panto shouting>
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Attica wrote:
    <panto shouting> He's behind you! <panto shouting>

Oh no he isn't!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    JonGinge wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    Aye. Need to get some wintery miles in before HOTA

I could be tempted too. Mind you I'd have to swap the pedals and saddle back over, but not the hardest task in the world!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • itboffin
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    Aye. Need to get some wintery miles in before HOTA

I could be tempted too. Mind you I'd have to swap the pedals and saddle back over, but not the hardest task in the world!

I was planning atoo but then "SHE" went and organised a girls night out this weekend, pah!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    What is HOTA?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • linsen
    Hell of the Ashdown. 6 signed up a while back

67 miles, 2000m of ascent :shock:
  • DonDaddyD
    Cool, not for me, I think.

How the heck do you get that high in the first place?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • linsen
    well, it's not one continual climb - of so we would be twice as high as the highest point in England!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Could be tempted by the Snowdon circuit - might be fun 8)

Marleborough Loop is on my doorstep so might turn up - provided no-one makes rude remarks about my bike
  • itboffin
    Could be tempted by the Snowdon circuit - might be fun 8)

Marlborough Loop is on my doorstep so might turn up - provided no-one makes rude remarks about my bike

As if we would :twisted:

Did I already mention that one of my friends has a large house along the Menai Straits, perhaps we could add a loop of Anglesey to the tour?

Edit: I was thinking of this for the Marlborough loop, lots of bail out points and if needed good options to extend :shock: http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=2991
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Ta. I had a look at those routes, but while they look nice, they're a bit inaccessible for anyone trying to do a daytrip on public transport. I've come up with some ideas that start and finish within reach of a decent train service. They include a 40 mile shuttle run of the Conwy Valley, a 60 mile circuit of Northern Snowdonia, and a 60 mile ride from Wrexham to Llandudno.

Can I take a straw poll on people that would be interested in doing a ride come May(?), and any route preference?

I have a mate living near Prestatyn, so I could combine a visit with a ride up here. He'll probably be up for it was well. A Snowdonia circuits sounds fun.

I'd also be up for Bristol / Marlborough trips since they are pretty close.
  • DonDaddyD
    don_don wrote:
    Ta. I had a look at those routes, but while they look nice, they're a bit inaccessible for anyone trying to do a daytrip on public transport. I've come up with some ideas that start and finish within reach of a decent train service. They include a 40 mile shuttle run of the Conwy Valley, a 60 mile circuit of Northern Snowdonia, and a 60 mile ride from Wrexham to Llandudno.

I have a mate living near Prestatyn, so I could combine a visit with a ride up here. He'll probably be up for it was well. A Snowdonia circuits sounds fun.

I guess LiT won't be going to any of these... :twisted:
    Food Chain number = 4

• don_don
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    don_don wrote:

I guess LiT won't be going to any of these... :twisted:

I wanted to give her plenty of notice, so she could arrange to be washing her hair that weekend :lol:

I'm hoping Dave the Trucker turns up though; he sounds like a nice guy :wink:
  • Oh come now, I wouldn't deliberately avoid something because you were going don_don!
  • itboffin
    I've started my training early :)

3116444594_c01eee7bd2.jpg

Yep foot long fish finger sandwich
  • Apologies for being the bearer of bad news, but...

With regards to Snowdon circuit/Anglesey tour ideas, would you guys all be coming by train? Arriva's local services only give a capacity of two bicycles per hour each way west of Llandudno Junction. Virgin services have four cycle spaces each, and while there are Saturday services coming to Bangor by 07:49 and 12:23, but the only return service they have in the afternoon leaves at 14:36. Attacking Snowdonia from the south via the Cambrian Line still means only two cycle spaces per hour, so unless you're all going to come by car, you'd be heading home two-by-two all night, or even the next morning.

From Llandudno Junction the Llandudno-Manchester trains give another two cycle spaces per hour to Chester. Perhaps a Bangor - Snowdonia - Betws-y-coed - Conwy - Llandudno Junction route would be a better idea.

Edit: That's roughly 42 miles, taking the Peris Pass :twisted:
  • itboffin
    Apologies for being the bearer of bad news, but...

With regards to Snowdon circuit/Anglesey tour ideas, would you guys all be coming by train? Arriva's local services only give a capacity of two bicycles per hour each way west of Llandudno Junction. Virgin services have four cycle spaces each, and while there are Saturday services coming to Bangor by 07:49 and 12:23, but the only return service they have in the afternoon leaves at 14:36. Attacking Snowdonia from the south via the Cambrian Line still means only two cycle spaces per hour, so unless you're all going to come by car, you'd be heading home two-by-two all night, or even the next morning.

From Llandudno Junction the Llandudno-Manchester trains give another two cycle spaces per hour to Chester. Perhaps a Bangor - Snowdonia - Betws-y-coed - Conwy - Llandudno Junction route would be a better idea.

By car then I can bring several bikes and take in a little "off roading"
  • don_don
    Oh come now, I wouldn't deliberately avoid something because you were going don_don!

Only kidding :P

Sorry to hear about your achilles, hope its nothing serious :(

Get better soon so I can meet you on one of these rides and scalp you good and proper
    :wink::wink::wink:
  • don_don
    Apologies for being the bearer of bad news, but...

I would be coming by car and making a weekend of it anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, a bit of off-roading sounds like a nice idea as well..
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    It appears that I will be spending tomorrow morning running on the South Downs, so no RP for me.

Sorry JonGinge and Wrath Rob. But after my lack of training recently, you would have dropped me after 10 yards anyway :oops:
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Jen J wrote:
    It appears that I will be spending tomorrow morning running on the South Downs, so no RP for me.

Sorry JonGinge and Wrath Rob. But after my lack of training recently, you would have dropped me after 10 yards anyway :oops:
    No worries. 21st Dec was always a bit optimistic for getting a big group out.
    As for training*, you've been on holiday. I have no such excuse :oops:

* TotalNewbie these aren't training rides
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides