Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'd love to but Yokel land is too far out of my way. I'll be heading for RP or maybe even the Surrey hills for a gentle ride on Sunday if anyone is interested. Weather looks far better than last weekend!
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Attica wrote:
    I'm in and will probably be riding out to Salisbury from Southampton to join then bailing before you head back. Anyone want to join me on that?

I would have, but I'm in Exeter this weekend.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I've also been inspired by the CX ride in this months C+ they attempted to cycle from London to Birmingham along the canal, awesome!

Living almost on the Kennet & Avon I know just how difficult it can be once you get on the grassy sections.

In short it's 130+ miles in whatever time you can handle, I was thinking 2 days, take the train to Birmingham then head back to London

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Union_Canal

Anyone interested?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'd love to but Yokel land is too far out of my way. I'll be heading for RP or maybe even the Surrey hills for a gentle ride on Sunday if anyone is interested. Weather looks far better than last weekend!

Ditto. I have the Surrey Rumble.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348

I'm tempted, now I'm without a car I'd have to ride over to RP though. Nothing like a little 30 mile warm up, it'll do the stats good :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    May be about. I stupidly missed out on entry for the Surrey Rumble but I do need the miles...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    JonGinge wrote:
    May be about. I stupidly missed out on entry for the Surrey Rumble but I do need the miles...

In that case, train to Southampton, ride with me to Salisbury and do the full ride with ITB, then train home from Salisbury.

Simples :lol:
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Attica wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

In that case, train to Southampton, ride with me to Salisbury and do the full ride with ITB, then train home from Salisbury.

Simples :lol:

Nothing planned so far for this weekend, I was of course going to be out on the bike anyway....Providing we're not going to be starting too early, might be up for that- earliest train from Pompey gets me into Soton Central 0840.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Sorry bud - Evans Chiltern sportive on Sunday :(
  • itboffin

Oh really now that's interesting, mmmm £10 sportive mmmm :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • stuaff
    itboffin wrote:

Bailing on your own ride?
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    itboffin wrote:

Get in !!!

Jay Dub's doing the 30, I'm doing the 60.

Anyone else ?

JW - what time you starting ? I'm thinking 9 - 9.30-ish, give it time to warm up a bit but still leave me time to finish in daylight :oops:
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    Yeh it's too late now plans are a foot, stupid because I had that one in my google sportive diary.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Aiming to be there around nine-ish - short route start doesn't start until 10.00 - I reckon it will take me about three hours depending on the route, hills etc. Weather looks good at the moment
  • stuaff
    ITB, still on for Sunday?
  • itboffin
  • stuaff
    itboffin wrote:

Looks good. Thanks to the inadequacies of Sunday morning trains, the first train I can get doesn't get into Southampton until 0840, with a half hour wait for a connection to Salisbury (0947 arrival time). If that's a bit late, I'm more than happy to head out from Southampton and meet you guys somewhere half-way. It's all mileage, all good :) I'll PM email and phone numbers.
  • stuaff
    Well, that was interesting...though not terribly social from my point of view, didn't catch up with any of the others. Don't worry lads, I escaped the clutches of the PF, yokel drivers, and of course the killer forest ponies ;)
    Day didn't start terribly well- got to Cosham station on time for the train, at 0739 only it wasn't a train, it was the dreaded rail replacement bus service. Cycled to Fareham (only another five miles for the stats), A27 was quite pleasant as it was so quiet, phoned Jon (didn't have ITB's number), and sounded OK to meet up in Salisbury. Then somehow contrived to miss my first train to Southampton, but that worked out OK too, next train went direct to Salisbury. Once in Salisbury, now at 1030, got Jon on the phone again. Ford (see route) seemed like the best place to meet up. The route appeared to go down the A338, so that's where I waited. And waited. And waited. For over an hour. Couldn't get anyone on the phone, no-one phoned me to tell me what was happening...Eventually started back down the road, got to Laverstock and got Jon (and ITB) on the phone again. They'd somehow gone past Ford, I wasn't there (well, I was....) and were now at Downton. I asked them to wait there & I'd catch up. Hammered down the A338...and they weren't there. Eventually saw a message from Jon (didn't read it until about 45 mins after it was sent)- he'd been overruled about waiting, some were complaining about the cold (er, I was out in it too you know!) ,they were now in a pub in Fordingbridge (I hadn't eaten at this stage!), at the time I read it I was at the bottom end of the loop. Didn't know if they were going to wait for me at the pub, presumed they'd probably gone on already so I finished the loop, went back up the 338 to Downton, bought lunch in the Co-op (2.30 now) then went back to Salisbury, and after negotiating umpteen roundabouts, got back to the station and hence home. It was a good ride, just slightly hacked off I didn't get to enjoy it with anyone else!
    Open to a properly organised re-run sometime (tell you what ITB, I'll lead ;) !!).
  • attica
    Stu

I'm sorry we missed you near Ford, kept an eye out and definitely rode past where you were. Shame you didn't pick up that text earlier too, was a lovely pub in a great setting. It's annoying when these strings of missed calls and near misses happen, hopefully it won't happen next time.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • stuaff
    edited March 2010
    Rob,
    It happens. It was rather frustrating at the time, to put it mildly, and there had been rather a lot of frustrations already that day. If things had just happened a teeny bit differently (if there had been an actual meet-up point for one, and then I was absolutely sure you lot were heading down the 338, so it seemed like the obvious place to be, god knows how you missed me...) it would have been a lot better for me, i.e. no feelings of being left out in the cold (don't know what time you left the pub but by that stage I really couldn't be bothered to try and catch up- I doubt anyone would!). At least I didn't have any punctures and escaped the attentions of homicidal drivers and wildlife. And has been previously noted, it is indeed a lovely place to ride. Aaaaw ponies, etc. Which somewhat improved my mood. I did have a good time, eventually....!!
    Re-run definitely in order I think.....April 11 anyone?
  • attica
    Just realised, Boffin - did you leave the PF at home? :lol:
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Rich158
    Is anyone up for a Surrey/Kent fastish hill climbing session this Sunday. I need to get some miles in the legs and some good steep hills :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    Rich158 wrote:
    Is anyone up for a Surrey/Kent fastish hill climbing session this Sunday. I need to get some miles in the legs and some good steep hills :lol:

Er dude it's mothers day :lol: +rugby +F1
  • Rich158
    Thanks for the reminder, no takers then :wink: It's the downside of living in an all male household, none of us remember :shock:

At least someone can go out for as long as he likes with impunity :lol:

Rugby & F1 are what Sky+ and a good recovery session on the couch are for

Revised FCN - 2
  • stuaff
    Anyone fancy a re-run of the New Forest ride on the 11th, as I'd suggested earlier? And ditto with LL's Kent run....25th? I'm sure the hardy souls that did do it would like another ride with more company and nicer weather!

On a sidebar, I'm off work next week (w/c 22nd)...if anyone fancies a weekday pootle somewhere in my neck of the woods, or within reasonable travelling distance, I'm planning to do some serious mileage (prep for Paris, and I'm thinking of aiming for 5k total for this year), and would welcome the company.
  • attica
    Five Kilometres? Steady on! :wink:
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • stuaff
    Attica wrote:
    Five Kilometres? Steady on! :wink:

Yes, yes, thank you for that ;) I did of course mean five thousand miles.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Saturday, Richmond Park, anyone?

Also, I know I bailed on the last one but I'm feeling a potential slowcial, given the nice weather, not this weekend perhaps next weekend?

Lastly how about a spring time SCR gathering?

Discuss.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'd love to but it'll need to be:
    A - Early, I have to be at a friends late morning to help setup for his 30th
    B - Dry, and the forecast for Sat looks poor.

However next weekend I am very much up for a jaunt into Surrey, or the park at the very least.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I might be out on saturday but early as I've got stuff to do in prep for Liverpool getting whipped on sunday

Next weekend might also be viable depending if the missus drags me to devon or I escape scot free
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14