Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• biondino wrote:
    I want someone to take me mountain biking! I need to know whether I should add to the stable :)

could do worse than Swinley Forest. failing that plenty of routes around peaslake etc north downs.

I'll be honest as say i find it all a tad tame, why I'll seriously look at CX bikes maybe next year, as a MTB i feel is tad overkill for around here.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    linsen wrote:
    I am more than happy to host another Isle of Wight trip but it's a bit warm for that right now - let's wait till it goes below zero and I'll consider it ;-)

Actually I'd love to do a night ride round the IOW and get to a beach for sunrise.

As the other person who lives within handy distance of a IOW ferry port, equally happy to host. And night ride? Good idea, been meaning to raise that with the FNRttC guys......
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Jen J wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    I am more than happy to host another Isle of Wight trip but it's a bit warm for that right now - let's wait till it goes below zero and I'll consider it ;-)

Erm...I think I'm busy... :shock:

(actually it's the Southampton bit I'm scared of...)

We'll get you a cab to and from the ferry!

I'd rather do a daytime IOW ride. Nighttime rides have a certain ambience to them but they're colder, slower and there's no view, which is one of the main attractions! And they screw up your sleep patterns, something I'm very un-keen on doing.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    biondino wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    linsen wrote:

Erm...I think I'm busy... :shock:

(actually it's the Southampton bit I'm scared of...)

We'll get you a cab to and from the ferry!

I'd rather do a daytime IOW ride. Nighttime rides have a certain ambience to them but they're colder, slower and there's no view, which is one of the main attractions! And they screw up your sleep patterns, something I'm very un-keen on doing.

Fair comment. Well - daytime IOW ride - are we thinking September? October? Any later than that and we risk the whole "spent too long in the pub scenario" once again. I could do weekend of 26th / 27th September.
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • stuaff
    Night riding isn't for everyone- certainly now the days are shortening anyway. I certainly like them, to me they have a charm all their own (riding on deserted country lanes in the moonlight...mmmm!). I seem to cope OK- I was up Friday 8am, full day's work (late shift), finished 8.30, train and then ride to HPC, back down into Felpham 9am, then ride back home. Slept (like a log) 10.30 Saturday, though I was somewhat dozy beforehand....
    But anyway, 26th/27th sounds good to me. For anyone who wants to come down via Pompey (overall journey time possibly a bit quicker than Southampton) I'm happy to lead round to East Cowes to meet those who've come over from Southampton.
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    That weekend would actually work for me too, I was actually looking at the IoW yesterday evening thinking I hadn't managed to cycle around it yet.
    I'm a little outside Southampton, (Chandlers Ford, about 7.5 miles to the ferry) but could put people up on a sofa-bed if we needed to.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Hello all,

following ITB's tipoff re this thread development, both myself and my missus Pigeon 42 (That's not her real name by the way) would be very interested in a new forest escapade, and or an IOW circuit potentially.

August is now over, and anyway on this final weekend we will be attempting to finish fitting a, ummmm fitted (badly?) wardrobe in.....

September doesn't look too bad at the moment, as far as I am aware.
    Pigeon 42 will probably tell me something different tonight!

So will be watching this thread with interest 8)

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    As I missed the last iOW ride I'm taking this Friday off and subject to the weather I'm planning on riding from home to the new forest then depending on mood no. PF visits etc I migh even nip across and have a look see, the following weekend I'm staying on the IOW for birthday party weekend :) of course as usual I'll be riding there and maybe even back :)

get well soon rich!
    Happy hols mcM
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • stuaff
    Bump time:
    IOW then.....27th?
  • Eau Rouge
    StuAff wrote:
    Bump time:
    IOW then.....27th?

I'm still up for it.
    Currently 'in training' in Ireland. There are hills here, I'm not used to hills.
  • Eau Rouge
    <bump>
    Who's still interested in this?
  • stuaff
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    <bump>
    Who's still interested in this?

I still am.....
  • itboffin
    What sort of speed are you thinking for the IOW ride?

I ask because as i'm now choosing when I ride I need to know what the pace will be, after all this isn't the slowical thread :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • stuaff
    itboffin wrote:

I ask because as i'm now choosing when I ride I need to know what the pace will be, after all this isn't the slowical thread :wink:

How slow would you like? Might depend how often you get visitations ;) My usual speed's about 12-15.....
  • itboffin
    StuAff wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

How slow would you like? Might depend how often you get visitations ;) My usual speed's about 12-15.....

erm no I was thinking fast like really fast :lol:
  • stuaff
    Think on ;)
  • linsen
    Having not ridden my bike since the Wales trip, I am not in good enough form to tackle IOW right now. When I am, I shall be averaging around 25mph or so.

:lol:
  • stuaff
    Nice one Lins! Is that the same as my 25 mph? ;)
  • itboffin
    I've just signed up to the Test Valley Challenge this Sunday 100km route which as luck would happen is almost the same route and the Highclere sportive and by pure coincidences takes in a large section of my daily commute :roll:

:D

it's on :twisted:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Taking in a large section of my daily commute would be perhaps the last thing I wanted in a sportive. You weirdo.
  • itboffin
    biondino wrote:
    Taking in a large section of my daily commute would be perhaps the last thing I wanted in a sportive. You weirdo.

and that would be news to who? :lol:
  • Just a quick cross forum plug, for any of the Bristol area commuters that may fancy a bit of a social ride on a weekend.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12639053

We had 6 of us out on Sunday for a great ride, which nearly killed me!
    us0.png
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:

quite tempted, though i don't know that bit of the north downs well at all.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    cjcp wrote:

If I get a bike sorted then I'll definately be in, I'm not sure I fancy it on the fixie :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    cjcp wrote:

It's tempting but I just haven't got any proper winter clothing, will have to see what Santa brings :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I thought YES I'M IN! But then realised my daughter is due on the 29th hmmm might not risk it this year :oops: .

Looked like fun last year, I'll put it on the calender for 2011.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:

It's tempting but I just haven't got any proper winter clothing, will have to see what Santa brings :-)
    Mugging santa for his fur-lined jacket will not make you many friends ;)

Comes round quick, doesn't it? I enjoyed this year's HOTA, despite the weather. Nice hilly route :)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Mugging santa for his fur-lined jacket will not make you many friends ;)

Comes round quick, doesn't it? I enjoyed this year's HOTA, despite the weather. Nice hilly route :)

I bet you felt right @ home ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • linsen
    cjcp wrote:

oh dear god not again. I stayed in a lovely B and B that weekend - might do that again but ditch the ride.

It is in danger of being the only sportive I ever do each year.