Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Looks interesting... will need to bump up the training over xmas though. Still suck at longish distances
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Looks interesting... will need to bump up the training over xmas though. Still suck at longish distances

It started out as a reliability ride, IIRC, to see how the bike (and body) were shaping up after a winter's break.

Some roads (i.e. thsoe not covered in snow) were a bit dodgy in part last year due to the slush or winter detritus, so it's definitely one of those rides where you can take it at a steady pace to get some miles in the legs before the longer spring and summer events.

Go on... :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Am tempted too... after talking more with The Ginge about training etc I do want (would like) to get a few 50+ ers in before chrimbo to raise my game a little.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I really want to but I'm scared....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I really want to but I'm scared....

Probably not the best sportive to cut your teeth on ;-) As long as it's not as bad as last years HOTA or the ML it shouldn't be THAT bad!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Are there any london(ish) based s(l)ocials planned for coming weekends a newbie can cut their teeth on?
  • cjcp
    Are there any london(ish) based s(l)ocials planned for coming weekends a newbie can cut their teeth on?

Get yourself down to Richmond Park for some laps. An excellent training resource, as JG will tell you.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • That I presume is following the path that kinda mirrors the out edges of said park?
    http://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/richmond_park/
  • cjcp
    There's a path for runners and peds etc., and a road. Use the road. It's shorter, but you can go faster.

EDIT: just checked your link. You need the purpely coloured route. That's the road. About 6.71 miles around.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    Should we arrage another Richmond Park meet or a social/slowcial ride chaps and chapettes?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Aye figured it was the purpley one. Groovy - tis not that far from me anyway and weather I believe this weekend should be kind.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Bristol Radars Velo Club (well, a few chaps who like a ride and have ideas above our station) would like to invite anyone in the bristol area to meet at 9am tomorrow (sunday) at the Pumphouse in Hotwells for a 45 mile social ride around the beautiful countryside to the south of bristol. The more the merrier, noone gets left behind and we finish at a pub :wink:

Meet here

and ride this
    us0.png
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Should we arrage another Richmond Park meet or a social/slowcial ride chaps and chapettes?

Excellent idea. Though I'd say rides....!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • StuAff wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Excellent idea. Though I'd say rides....!

yup I could be tempted, haven't yet got my rota for november so have to wait and see what days off I have or rather any sat/sundays.

I haven't got into the lanes for a while now so be lovely.

assuming I have a weekend off and it's a date that I don't want to use else where I'd be happy to lead a group. so thats very much a maybe!
  • cjcp
    I'd be up for a meet. I need to get some mileage in.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Right people 2010 is snapping at the door, we almost completed 2/3 of the year this year so why don't we aim for a full 2010.

I'm happy to host another ML (Marlborough Loop) although given the exposed hilly terrain I suggest slightly later in the year to avoid those unexpected blizzards, yes that really happened. I'd also like to nab a Sept slot for Hants/Berk ride perhaps the Test Vally Tour, very low key affair not you're usual sportive much more of a social ride.

Also I'd like to throw this out there, for the more grey & wet months ie spring, summer, autumn and winter perhaps an indoor track session?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    The track session sounds good, there's enough fixies to have a bit of fun :wink:

I could host a very flat suffolk loop, maybe linked in with the Dunwich Dynamo over the summer :lol:

What about another summer trip, having missed Wales :cry:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • FeynmanC
    You're always welcome down Bristol way. We've been having a group ride every sunday for the past couple of months with the new Bristol Radars Velo Club. I'm sure we could rustle up some spare rooms and sofa's for any that needed them too.

If you're feeling proper nuts, how about considering joining the Exmouth Exodus in the summer? :wink:
    us0.png
  • DonDaddyD
    (If welcome) I want to do more of these next year as I completely failed last years goal, apart from buying the bike.

If I don't take my bike from me.

Also, the ambition is to do Sunday rides (think slowcial - maybe a tad faster) on alternating Sunday's - with the exception of when it clashes with the above and or any sportives.

Edit: The track or a track day interests me.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Rich158
    I've been thinking, and whilst I enjoy a slowcial ride, how about a fast ride for those wanting to push it a bit and get in some hills. We could start and finish at the same place, with perhaps a rendezvous in the middle for lunch. That way we keep the social side and cater for everyone :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • DonDaddyD
    Rich158 wrote:
    I've been thinking, and whilst I enjoy a slowcial ride, how about a fast ride for those wanting to push it a bit and get in some hills. We could start and finish at the same place, with perhaps a rendezvous in the middle for lunch. That way we keep the social side and cater for everyone :lol:

I'm in if I:

1) Know the route just in case I fall off the back/get dropped.
    2) See names of people I know ride at my natural pace: i.e. PinkPedal and Sewinman to name a few, less chance of my getting dropped.

But I'm all for it, I think its a great idea.
    Food Chain number = 4

• itboffin
    Rich158 wrote:

How about that indeed, I have the fitness level of a 6 year old asthmatic GIRL! at the moment, but I'm planning to spank out some wicked winter miles.

I planned a route from château 'boffin over towards Highclere then up up up up down down down down up up up up down down down down round 'n round and home, short route but brutal slogs, Attica and I nailed a few of them early this year.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rich158
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

I'm in if I:

1) Know the route just in case I fall off the back/get dropped.
    2) See names of people I know ride at my natural pace: i.e. PinkPedal and Sewinman to name a few, less chance of my getting dropped.

But I'm all for it, I think its a great idea.

The idea is we have two different routes, say a 30 mile outward loop for the loonies, and a 15-20 miles for the more sane amongst us, and the same on the way back. That way we cater for most abilities, get to have a coffee together at the start. meet for some nosh, and then have some post ride beers together.

It'll take a little bit of organisation, but I'm sure with a bit of co-ordination and the magic of mobile phones we should be able to stay in touch, and get to the meet points together :lol:

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    His my opening gambit www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=26555 there's a 10, 20, 40 mile loop in this 50 mile circuit

Something for all the family :)
  • That looks like a nice little cheeky number IBT i'd definitely be up for a ride around there as I've never explored around there apart from the A4 but that doesn't count
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • FeynmanC
    Depending on the date and state of cashflow, that does look like a nice ride.

Anywhere nice to stop for lunch on that route, for those that have to travel there?
    us0.png
  • Ooh that route covers some of our usual stamping ground - me & Daniel B would be interested in joining in (depending on the date of course).
    FCN 10
  • Rich158
    itboffin wrote:
    His my opening gambit www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=26555 there's a 10, 20, 40 mile loop in this 50 mile circuit

Something for all the family :)

That looks very interesting, count me in :lol::lol::lol:

I guess I'd better get my backside in gear and sort out a Kentish loop, just to prove that coming south of the river isn't as scary as it seems :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    There are a number of good gastro pubs and fresh farm eateries along the route but damn they're well hidden it quite literally took me months of riding even to find one, seems the Ham, Inkpen area of Hampshire/Wiltshire/Berkshire borders like to keep their secrets close to their hearts.

I love that route, it's usually so quiet and always beautiful even in the wind & snow :D
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Very keen on ITB's idea. I cycled that part of the world this summer and it is perfect. Pretty easy to get the train to/from London I would think.