Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    itboffin wrote:
    His my opening gambit www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=26555 there's a 10, 20, 40 mile loop in this 50 mile circuit Something for all the family :)

Clever idea particularly if you know good pit stops. Terrain looks reasonable and "interesting" in the NWly leg.

When? I would be up for it weekend 12/13 december.
    What railway stations offer a reasonable service - particularly on sunday if relevant?
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    You were thinking this year? Interesting! It could be arranged if there's enough interest.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gbs
    '09 yes but '10 better!
  • gbs
    '09 yes but '10 better!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I'd be up for it now I've got the bike transport sorted out 8)
  • itboffin
    Right then people, I managed 20 miles today and i'm shattered, nice steady avg 15mph slight drizzle and light rain but all round a very pleasant ride.

It's going to be some time before i'm back out there knocking out the centuries but I have to start somewhere and the new year is knocking, so who's up for a social ride next weekend?

Starting from Hungerford, then wind around the local lanes at the group pace, distance will depend on group. Unless the weather is totally wet, i'm not doing more soggy wet rides.

Wilts/Hants/Berks - 5th/6th Dec
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    What start time and day were you thinking of?
    us0.png
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    itboffin wrote:
    Right then people, I managed 20 miles today and i'm shattered, nice steady avg 15mph slight drizzle and light rain but all round a very pleasant ride.

It's going to be some time before i'm back out there knocking out the centuries but I have to start somewhere and the new year is knocking, so who's up for a social ride next weekend?

Starting from Hungerford, then wind around the local lanes at the group pace, distance will depend on group. Unless the weather is totally wet, i'm not doing more soggy wet rides.

Wilts/Hants/Berks - 5th/6th Dec

I can't do anything much this side of christmas mate. It's good to see your knee's at the stage where you can start to get some mileage in :lol: It won't be long before you're knocking out those centuries again dude, keep it going :D
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Woke up this morning to find a deflated front tyre. Grrr.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    FeynmanC wrote:

Not that far into the planning yet, now then you HOTA nutters don't forget you'll need some base mileage before the event, it's not all mince pies and sherry you know.

:wink:
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    itboffin wrote:
    FeynmanC wrote:

Not that far into the planning yet, now then you HOTA nutters don't forget you'll need some base mileage before the event, it's not all mince pies and sherry you know.

:wink:

Absolutely not, it's mince pies and brandy :wink:

Bugger base mileage, I'm going back to my old tactics. get on the bike, ride hard, and hope I hold out to the end :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Four and a bit laps of RP. 31 very wet miles in total.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Hi ITB :

I'd definitely be up for the 13th if you're still planning this year??

If the start point is Burbage side of the loop I could cycle over and meet you but no worries if it means bringing the car over.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • itboffin
    Right I'm planning a ride this Sat 12th something along these lines

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=26555
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    itboffin wrote:
    Right I'm planning a ride this Sat 12th something along these lines

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=26555

Hmm, a definite "maybe" from me - I'll get back to you.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    :( i'm off the bike until after christmas to give my knee a proper chance to heal
    us0.png
  • itboffin
    edited December 2009
    last minute route change http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=27875

slightly shorter distance and more gradual gradients, look i'm still recovering so back off!
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I am in.
  • itboffin
    Sewinman wrote:
    I am in.

Ah! that was good fun, trust me you'll have no worries finishing HOTA

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... id=1878064

does this look like the face of a happy man?

58b90fcea123476485c8331c795957e9.jpg

You should see the nasty hill just a few feet behind :(
  • attica
    Ah, that junction looks familiar, I remember the hill only too well.
    Sorry I couldn't make it, but it would have involved abstinence on my Birthday. Hope I can make the next one.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    Attica wrote:
    Ah, that junction looks familiar, I remember the hill only too well.
    Sorry I couldn't make it, but it would have involved abstinence on my Birthday. Hope I can make the next one.

I hope you can too old bean I have to say that last ride we did was quite possibly the best ride of the year :D
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    A big thanks to ITB for a very nice ride! T'was a cold and crisp day for the most part and the lanes were beautiful and traffic free. A pleasure to get out of London.

That IPA tasted yum in front of log fire and comely serving wench. :wink:

ITBs puncture fairy stalker visited me too!
  • itboffin
    At last the snow is clearing, giving way to the usual rain and wind but hey ho it's better than ice.

Being totally selfish I need to bag as many miles as possible in Jan including at least one 100km continuous ride, therefore I'm proposing another three counties weekend ride, same kind of pace as the last few winter rides and DDD get this.... open to all!!!! :P

Is anyone interested?

Pace will be mostly early season and given that I live around the SW/SE borders it will be hilly :wink:
  • gbs
    itboffin wrote:
    in Jan including at least one 100km continuous ride,
    Is anyone interested?

Pace will be mostly early season and given that I live around the SW/SE borders it will be hilly :wink:

Ahem! not much time left. When, where to start and will it be accessible by train from London?
  • itboffin wrote:
    At last the snow is clearing, giving way to the usual rain and wind but hey ho it's better than ice.

Being totally selfish I need to bag as many miles as possible in Jan including at least one 100km continuous ride, therefore I'm proposing another three counties weekend ride, same kind of pace as the last few winter rides and DDD get this.... open to all!!!! :P

Is anyone interested?

sounds lovely but I don't have any weekend off in jan. hence the week rides...
  • itboffin
    gbs wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    in Jan including at least one 100km continuous ride,
    Is anyone interested?

Ahem! not much time left. When, where to start and will it be accessible by train from London?

Yes very accessible by train, either from Paddington or Waterloo about 1hr 10mins, Waterloo offers easier bike transport, two cycle bays per train.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Anyone fancy this? 40 mile loop from Crystal Palace on April 11, hills and cobblestones included, followed by booze and Paris-Roubaix on TV. Free but donations requested to the nominated charity (childrens' hospitals at Guys and St Thomas'). 200 places only
    http://www.thelondonclassic.org/
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • itboffin
    Unless it rains or snows this Sunday, I'm planning a gentle ride from Salisbury to the New Forest and back, I do mean gentle, that said if there's enough peeps and you want to form a fast 'n slow group that would be cool too.

I will be stopping lots to say "aw! Look at the pony" and "moo" to pretty much every cow I see, I'm still pretty new to thi yokel stuff ;)
  • attica
    I'm in and will probably be riding out to Salisbury from Southampton to join then bailing before you head back. Anyone want to join me on that?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Attica wrote:
    I'm in and will probably be riding out to Salisbury from Southampton to join then bailing before you head back. Anyone want to join me on that?

Would love to, but may be unable :-(
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome