Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Got two pairs of socks, three inner tubes, and the dhb lab thermal jersey, in pumpkin (!!!). I'm experimenting with the colour, as I do blue like daniel_b does black & yellow. Got it all in CRC with an extra 10% discount.

I'm a bit concerned that it's not windproof. This being Edinburgh, I fear my windstopper gillet will see quite a bit of use on top of it. It's that, or the gabbas.

By the way, how come decathlon or dhb socks last me better than castellis or defeets? I mean, really? Fool me once...
  • New saddle, Cube Nuance, wanted because the one that came with my Attain was comfortable, bought from Bike Inn , cheapest I could find, arrived and it has carbon rails and more cut outs in the plastic shell than the original! Did a 40m ride on it today and was even more comfortable than the original - result!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,591

New saddle, Cube Nuance, wanted because the one that came with my Attain was comfortable, bought from Bike Inn , cheapest I could find, arrived and it has carbon rails and more cut outs in the plastic shell than the original! Did a 40m ride on it today and was even more comfortable than the original - result!

No additional import/admin charges??
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Nope, if goods are under £135 you just pay VAT and the postage.
  • daniel_b

Nope, if goods are under £135 you just pay VAT and the postage.

Ah so you paid it up front, and the price you paid at the time of order was the price paid to get it to your door?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Yep, exactly like ordering from UK shop.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    drhaggis said:

Got two pairs of socks, three inner tubes, and the dhb lab thermal jersey, in pumpkin (!!!). I'm experimenting with the colour, as I do blue like daniel_b does black & yellow. Got it all in CRC with an extra 10% discount.

I'm a bit concerned that it's not windproof. This being Edinburgh, I fear my windstopper gillet will see quite a bit of use on top of it. It's that, or the gabbas.

By the way, how come decathlon or dhb socks last me better than castellis or defeets? I mean, really? Fool me once...

Jersey's going back:
    • Texture-wise, the material looks too thin, and nowhere near enough anything below 10 C
    • Fit is... not great. The size chart hints the medium should be wider at the shoulders than a Castelli M. Well, my two gabbas and my old perfetto (RIP, you are fondly remembered) are no narrower, and more generous at the waist. And the waist of that dhb, gosh it is unforgiving/tight/clearly a size too small
    • The jersey has a very very strong aroma to... lynx? Whatever. It stinks to male parfum from someone else.
  • daniel_b
    edited March 2022
    What a pain @drhaggis :/

This jersey arrived, it's slightly more lime green than yellow (imo) but I still like it enough to keep it, the material feels really smooth and just oozes quality, and the fit is also really nice.

Chanced my arm on a black and yellow ones of these Ale jerseys from CRC, I have one of the yellow ones from a few years back, which has zip garages top and bottom.
    When comparing the 2 styles, the old one is far superior, the material feels better quality, and on the new one there is no zip garage at the top, meaning it could dig into my throat when down in the drops.
    https://chainreactioncycles.com/ale-r-ev1-silver-cooling-jersey-ss21/rp-prod204589
    Both going back, which rarely happens with their jerseys.

Also wanted some black baselayers.

Tried this grip grab mesh affair in xs - good tight fit, neck hole a touch small, but managable - decided to keep.

Also wanted one for slightly cooler conditions, so spotted another xs one, but with a merino mix - had high hopes, but sadly the xs was baggy, both body and the arms, not sure how they have got the sizing so far out.

https://chainreactioncycles.com/gripgrab-merino-polyfibre-short-sleeve-base-layer/rp-prod187926

Also ordered a few things from the excellent Alpinetrek:
    Ale jersey:

Scott ultralite windvest thing for only £35:

Nalini Atlanta 1996 jersey (reduced to less than £30) - noticed it a while back, but nowhere had it in my size, this place had one in stock.

Oh and a chain quicklink tool, which I think will allow them to be undone as well as fitted, not that I've ever needed one to fit one.

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/birzman-link-pliers-bike-tool/?aid=608187e12860cbf5f9060af006464653&
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    This

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416

This

Has it arrived? My due date is May.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    seanoconn said:

This

Has it arrived? My due date is May.
    It's currently 'in picking'... Hope to have it mid April.

• daniel_b
    edited March 2022
    The Nalini jersey ordered above turned out to not be a race fit, so back it went, already refunded - the other items fitted well.

Frog 73 for my daughter, who is fast outgrowing her 62 - collecting tomorrow, servicing, then stashing in the garage under a sheet until required.
    She declared that she wanted her next bike to be a 'really bright neon green' so I think I have done pretty well there.

Couple of bar bags:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • 2 Trek Marlin 6s, online in NZ , at DiL's House, ready for our trip out later in the year. Got 2 for £1000 as the exchange rate was really good when I ordered!
  • daniel_b
    edited April 2022
    Last small Perfetto light from the ever reliable Merlin for £95.

Oh and after buying my nearly new Rapha bar bag in the post above, a brand new one turned on on fb marketplace for the same price, that was delivered today, may well sell on the original one I bought.

Also ordered some bargainous Raleigh 26" Schrader valve tubes for my daughters new bike, less than £2 each off of Amazon.

The theory is now I won't buy anything cycling related for around 2 months.
    We'll see how that goes, but that is the aim.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Hi my name is Daniel and I’m addicted to online shopping esp green/yellow stuff 🤗😂
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Beto tubeless inflator and some disc brake cleaner after burning mine T-feck after one very serious steep off road ride, front brake totally burnt out by the end of the ride.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    edited April 2022
    Bu66er, well that didn't quite go to plan.

Some shoes I had my eye on for months from the 2022 range were available from Keller for WAY less than anywhere uk based and critically in my size, and then there were some mitts too.
    Both go perfectly with my two Scotts, but aren't required right now, so will be stashed for future use.

As these bikes will probably be with me for at least 10 years, I thought it was a worthwhile investment.

Oh and also, some yellow (shocker) Scott sunglasses I wore for the first time at the weekend, and they are now my favourite pair.
    Lightweight, uber comfy, did not budge one bit on a ride of over 40 miles, and I rode in all hand positions, climbing, descending and battling head and cross winds.
    As I have branched out, and started buying some black kit, I decided I needed the black version as well.
    They are photochromic and adjust every bit as well as Oakley lenses.

On positive, non buying news, I have, at least for the time being, managed to stop myself buying this jersey.....

So, from now, I am trying not to buy anything for a couple of months :#
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    you do know that if you don't buy the jersey you'll be gutted and regret it? and then when you do drcide to buy it they will be out of stock in your size.

just buy it.

buy it. buy it. buy it. do it. do it. do it now.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • daniel_b
    I do hear what you are saying, but with Westbrook I can tell how many they have in stock, and it's 10 - same with the medium stealth black Cadence helmet, I really want one, but not at £153, and they have had 10 in stock for AGES, and evidently not sold a single one.

I'm hoping at some point they might drop the price a bit.....
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    but what if they don't snd because you've posted this up there may be 10 people out of the 'Radar hordes that pop on to grab one.....

say 2 normal passing customers, a couple off here, a couple of words of mouth.

suddenly, boom, gone......
  • daniel_b
    edited April 2022
    I get the feeling you are trying to get me to buy the jersey :D

Just a hunch ;)

Here's the back.

It would also 'go' with my gravel bike should that ever arrive.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    Ooh! nice.

i think you need it, espesh with new bike on its way.

new bike, new top, new shorts, new helmet, new shoes, new socks, new sunnies. it'll be the graviest day ever.

look the best to be the best.

do it do it do it do it now.

#youknowitmakessense
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Having swapped out the entry Clarkes M2 brakes for Magura MT Sport (a useful improvement in braking and weight) I came across an older MT 4 calliper on ebay cheap (with nearly new pads - and the total price was about that of a set of pads) so bought that and swapped it in, a useful 30g weight saving from the better calliper and I now have a spare set of pads on standby.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited May 2022
    After some Boris+ dither and delaying, I've just finally ordered a Saris H3 turbo (to replace my semi-broken 4+ year old hammered Direto) from Rutland in their sale that ends on 31st May, where at least some bits get 15% off a £100+ basket.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/turbo-trainers/direct-drive-trainers/saris-h3-direct-drive-silent-smart-turbo-trainer/SAR9830TF.html

~£484 (less 0.85% Topcashback in theory), bargaintastic! B)

Has a Saris H4 been announced yet since I ordered? :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2022
    I've been trying to be good recently, and have mostly succeeded, I didn't order that Scott jersey for example up the page :)

However, I have just ordered a Garmin 1030 as the 1040 was announced, so that worked out after cashback at £391 from CRC - however I will likely leave it boxed for a few weeks, and see if any better deals arise from the likes of PBK or Sigma. surprisingly few retailers seem to stock it.

I suspect there may not be that many offers on it, but I'll give it a few weeks before breaking it out of it's box.

Have also ordered screen protector, and am waiting for Merlin to get some of the cases back in stock.

Also, a while back I ordered a small castelli pro thermal jersey, and was disappointed the sleeves were so long, so that was returned.

I took a punt on an xs version (The price had dropped to £73), and this is certainly snug, but I could still get a base layer under if needed, but the arms are much better on this, so will be keeping it.
    Love the colour, and the lack of branding and red scorpions :D

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    Speaking of leaving things boxed (I’m not sensible enough) where’s the best place to sell bike gear?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daniel_b
    seanoconn said:

Speaking of leaving things boxed (I’m not sensible enough) where’s the best place to sell bike gear?

On here is definitely not the place to sell, and I think ebay with increased fees, unless they have one of their 'offers' are also best avoided.

I tend to use these 3 fb sites, but there may be better ones:

https://facebook.com/groups/1146581598762572

https://facebook.com/groups/816289615056888/

https://facebook.com/groups/106942906459763/
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2022
    Not very exciting, but a couple of cases from Merlin for the still boxed 1030 plus, for a pretty reasonable £11.50 a pop - looks like I landed the last yellow one.

I've been monitoring prices, but the only place to beat CRC/Wiggle is Slane Cycles @ £395, but no cashback, so CRC is £391 effectively.

My feeling is with lack of stock it is unlikely to come down much further - Sigma went down to £430 or something, but are already back up to £520, which seems odd, as I can't believe they would sell a single unit.

Interestingly there is also a round of redundancies due at work, should find out in the next 6-8 weeks, so I may have to send it back anyway!
    Hoping it doesn't balls up the C2W order for the bike that is due in 4 weeks......
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    edited June 2022
    Finally "officially" paid for my handbuilt bike wheels that have sat in the shop for over a year.
    Garmin Varia RT515 ( i wanted the RCT715 camera unit just to burn the C2W voucher, but they can't get it, and given the poor reviews, probably a good thing)
    Pair of Ortileb Rollback panniers (in petrol blue)
    + "niggly stuff" (multitool, inner tubes, diamond graded bike lock, drinks bottle)

Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2022
    No activity on here in over a month!

I've been fairly good, a few commuter purchases I won't bore you with.

These I feel are worthy though:

Very enamoured with the road version of these, Sigma currently have them at 46% off in black and limited sizes - plus TCB of course, almost make them half price.

Then a pair of these Shimano PD-T8000 pedals, which I thought would be a good pairing for the imminently arriving gravel bike which will be used for commuting, gravel rides, light touring & family rides.

PBK have them for a favourable £66 currently, plus TCB cashback.

392g the pair, reflectors - seem to have good reviews, and ticks an awful lot of boxes.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18