Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    edited December 2021
    You're welcome :-)

It depends on the items, and whether the place you agree to buy them from will reserve the stock for you - if you are super keen and don't want to risk them going out of stock, or just becoming unavailable, then pay a CC deposit, with the agreement that you'll have it refunded when the voucher comes through.

The bike I have ordered is not due until June next year, so I paid a CC deposit of 25%, and as I sent them the voucher last week, have just had the deposit refunded to my credit card.
    I'm rather liking the fact that by the time I get the bike it will be over half paid for :-)
    It's predominantly a gravel bike commuter, so nothing to get too excited about, or miss having sooner.

The other two items on the order are not due until January and July next year.

I'd probably try and find out whether your limitless voucher is exactly that, so you can shop accordingly.

You can buy a bike and parts\accessories, or simply parts\wheels etc if you want to.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    Top man thank you. You’re teaching me to spend like a pro. Missus will be thrilled.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    seanoconn said:

Top man thank you. You’re teaching me to spend like a pro. Missus will be thrilled.

Pleased to be of help - remember, the more you spend, the more you save :D

With regards to your missus, I'd lead with the 'pre tax' situation and how much money you are saving, also the fact it's a 0% loan over 12 months, so it's not really that noticeable, it's ALMOST like free bike bits :p

Also, when it finishes, you suddenly have extra money available, so it's like a virtual payrise ;-)

My limit is 3k, I managed to get within £1.02 of that this time around, I'm pushing to see if they can up it to 5k B)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    You’re the devil! 😂

You can’t top up a voucher with cash on top can you? In case my employers do decide 3k is my limit. The bike I want is £50 over!
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    seanoconn said:

You’re the devil! 😂

You can’t top up a voucher with cash on top can you? In case my employers do decide 3k is my limit. The bike I want is £50 over!

A few years ago a lot of places would allow you to top up, but theoretically now you are not allowed to top up no matter what.

However I suspect if you dealt with a more independent local bike shop, they would either discount the bike by the £50 for you, and or do so on the premise that you maybe agreed to buy something else from them, but just paying credit card etc.

I can't see a big major chain agreeing to something like this though, or certainly less likely.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    Just noticed that all (I think) Scott 2022 bikes have had a price hike between 4 & 8%.

Luckily I had the deposit down on my Addict gravel 30 beforehand, so it won't cost me anymore.
    they also had 2 price rises this year for the 2021 range, though that was March and June, this is very early.

Did/do other manufacturers carry out similar price increases last year?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    Few Muc off face masks from Merlin for me and my daughter, only £2.50 each - and they are good quality and easily adjustable.
    https://merlincycles.com/muc-off-reusable-face-mask-197646.html

Also a few NW bits.
    Primaloft vest\gilet - £100 down to £48 - two pockets on the front:

https://merlincycles.com/northwave-extreme-trail-cycling-vest-241349.html

Extreme Pro high shoe cover, £50 down to £27:

https://merlincycles.com/northwave-extreme-pro-high-shoecover-fw21-238856.html

And this Castelli headbandy thing, £25 down to £15 I think it was:

https://merlincycles.com/castelli-bandito-headband-214916.html

Ordered this morning with free delivery, despatched an entire 80 minutes later.
    Bloomin Merlin!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    daniel_b said:

Few Muc off face masks from Merlin for me and my daughter, only £2.50 each - and they are good quality and easily adjustable.

Also a few NW bits.

Bloomin Merlin!

You realise these are all in black?
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    seanoconn said:

daniel_b said:

Also a few NW bits.

Bloomin Merlin!

No problem. I'm sure the bib tights, the long-sleeve jersey, and the helmet will all be yellow to compensate ;) (joking of course. I'm probably just as bad with blue)
  • daniel_b
    drhaggis said:

seanoconn said:

daniel_b said:

Also a few NW bits.

Bloomin Merlin!

No problem. I'm sure the bib tights, the long-sleeve jersey, and the helmet will all be yellow to compensate ;) (joking of course. I'm probably just as bad with blue)
    lol, well I like to mix things up a bit :D

To be fair, the jersey, socks and helmet from the page before are all yellow B)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Were the Galibier overshoes no good or did you just fancy an alternative pair?
  • daniel_b
    mrb123 said:

Were the Galibier overshoes no good or did you just fancy an alternative pair?

They have yet to arrive, so I'll compare and contrast when I have both, and if I like both, I suspect I can find a use for both perhaps one for commuting and one for weekend rides, or keep one as stock, and if one is clearly inferior or a poor fit I will return it, though we all know how overshoes have a tendency to wear out.
    I'll definitely update if I return one.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    edited December 2021
    Tashman said:

Aldi Cree light set. Certainly seems bright on first inspection.

I need to get a replacement decent, ie to see, not just to be seen, front light as my existing Electron one seems to refuse to charge after a good number of years of service.
    Wonder if the front in this set is bright enough for short sections of unlit roads?
    From pictures of the packaging i don’t see any indication of the light output lux/lumens. I’m wanting 400 lumens+.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    edited December 2021
    So of those overshoes in dans post as my castelli neoprene are held together with gaffer tape.

A used canyon MTB frame to build up for my girlfriend

Some non cycling specific winter gloves which are bloody amazing, goat skin warm, waterproof, wind proof and very tactile, perfect for cycling. Can be had for 16-20 notes not including delivery

https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/ejendals-tegera-297-insulated-waterproof-work-gloves.html
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    Which overshoes did you go for ITB?

Intrigued about those gloves - do ye have a link?

As I bought a brace of power meters recently from the ford of half, they ended up gifting me both a £5 and £10 voucher (Had to be used by christmas eve) - though not able to use the latter with BC discount. Needed a very boring brake noodle thing for my daughters bike:

And decided to get three 28-38 inner tubes for the princely sum of well nothing at all - should get TCB as well :D

FFS, the pedal mafia order arrived today, and they've only gone and sent me a women's cut jacket instead of a men's :#
    To rub salt in, the XS that I ordered is now out of stock.
    I have mailed them politely to inform them of my disappointment and to suggest a couple of solutions.
    It's come all the way from Oz, so I need to get it sent back to either there or somewhere uk based if they have some kind of base for returns, and I've said I'm happy to wait a few months for it to come back into stock, if in fact it will do, as I bought it in their black friday deal, I wouldn't pay full price for it.

The fact it travelled half way across the world, and took a little while makes it that bit more dissapointing than had a uk order been messed up in a similar fashion.

I'm looking at this as an opportunity to see how good their customer service is - I will report back.

*P.S I did open it to check, in the vague hope it might have been the bag that was labelled incorrectly, but sadly not.

EDIT: So far so good, they have put me in touch with a UK distributor, who apparently will contact me about sending the right jacket to me, and arranging for the return of the incorrect one - so hopefully that will go well.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    itboffin said:

So of those overshoes in dans post as my castelli neoprene are held together with gaffer tape.

Some non cycling specific winter gloves which are bloody amazing, goat skin warm, waterproof, wind proof and very tactile, perfect for cycling. Can be had for 16-20 notes not including delivery

https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/ejendals-tegera-297-insulated-waterproof-work-gloves.html

How did you find them?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    A pair of Shimano R171 shoes from Ebay. not had higher grade shoes before but on first inspection these seem very nice indeed. Wide fit for my bizarre shaped feet too :)
  • itboffin
    seanoconn said:

itboffin said:

How did you find them?
    Looking for gloves for general use that are actually warm and not like ski gloves thick, i suffer very badly with the cold, a quick google for warm workwear gloves brought up this brand multiple times, they have a lot of variants so i took a punt, which seems to have been a success at least for -2C time will tell but for £20 delivered i'm happy, i have 30+ pairs of cycling specific gloves from various brands and prices, non of which are anywhere near as good.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    itboffin said:

seanoconn said:

itboffin said:

How did you find them?
    Looking for gloves for general use that are actually warm and not like ski gloves thick, i suffer very badly with the cold, a quick google for warm workwear gloves brought up this brand multiple times, they have a lot of variants so i took a punt, which seems to have been a success at least for -2C time will tell but for £20 delivered i'm happy, i have 30+ pairs of cycling specific gloves from various brands and prices, non of which are anywhere near as good.
    High praise! I suffer from cold hands myself, and you've pretty much sold these to me.
  • daniel_b said:

A few years ago a lot of places would allow you to top up, but theoretically now you are not allowed to top up no matter what.

However I suspect if you dealt with a more independent local bike shop, they would either discount the bike by the £50 for you, and or do so on the premise that you maybe agreed to buy something else from them, but just paying credit card etc.

I can't see a big major chain agreeing to something like this though, or certainly less likely.

Independent shop recently actively encouraged me to go over the limit. Same £3k voucher and they were pushing me bikes over that.

They had a right moan at me about using cycle to work saying they didn't make much money off it due to the fees and it really hits them. But they also said if not for C2W lots of people would be buying £1k bikes not £3k+, so it evens out if they can get them to spend more.

So anyway..you'd probably find independents want you to go over!
  • daniel_b said:

Independent shop recently actively encouraged me to go over the limit. Same £3k voucher and they were pushing me bikes over that.

They had a right moan at me about using cycle to work saying they didn't make much money off it due to the fees and it really hits them. But they also said if not for C2W lots of people would be buying £1k bikes not £3k+, so it evens out if they can get them to spend more.

Which independent was that? ;)
  • daniel_b
    denis992 said:

daniel_b said:

Which independent was that? ;)
    Probably not to be revealed on the forum!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    NW overshoes arrived and are very nice but the large is max 43 which seems small and is a stretch for my size 44.5 shoes, not sure if they're good or go back ...

• Fancied trying a cap for winter under the helmet , peak is good for low sunshine!
    This was the cheapest at £9!
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    itboffin said:

NW overshoes arrived and are very nice but the large is max 43 which seems small and is a stretch for my size 44.5 shoes, not sure if they're good or go back ...

Ah balls, iirc the Merlin page had no size guide for the overshoes, so I googled, found one on wiggle possibly, and went for the XL, sounds like that should be ok for my mostly 44s.

Yeh here we go: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-extreme-pro-high-overshoes

Down the bottom of the page they have the size guide, Large is 41-43, XL is 44-46, so bang on with what you have found.

What do you make of the feel/quality/material used?
    Haven't managed to open my parcel yet :|
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    daniel_b said:

itboffin said:

Ah balls, iirc the Merlin page had no size guide for the overshoes, so I googled, found one on wiggle possibly, and went for the XL, sounds like that should be ok for my mostly 44s.

Yeh here we go: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-extreme-pro-high-overshoes

Down the bottom of the page they have the size guide, Large is 41-43, XL is 44-46, so bang on with what you have found.

What do you make of the feel/quality/material used?
    Haven't managed to open my parcel yet :|
    Seem very good quality and really I think the tight fit is probably better than loose, don’t fit very well around my bont wide shoes but okay with giro and fizik
  • daniel_b
    Thanks ITB, opened them earlier, wasn't expecting the opening underneath, but agreed the quality and finish feel excellent.

Intrigued to see how the galibier offerings compare.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    daniel_b said:

Thanks ITB, opened them earlier, wasn't expecting the opening underneath, but agreed the quality and finish feel excellent.

Intrigued to see how the galibier offerings compare.

First ride this morning on our typical shite mucky wet roads was very promising, stayed warm and dry and cleaned off super quick with the hose and brush. Large is tight but i think okay even on the Bont's.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    Not bought yet, as not even Scott have the yellow ones in stock, but these Pro Shield glasses look stunning to me - I have two pairs of their predecessors and they are REALLY light, comfy and have proper quality photochromatic optics, every bit as good as Oakley imho.

Westbrook tell me they are due in January.

They do black as well, and a raft of other colours with normal lenses.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18