Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    So I got my old Raleigh Pioneer 18 speed sit up and beg shopper out of the shed over the weekend.

Bianchi is now eating up any "spare time" I might have so I need to drop my "nipping out for a pint of milk" time down - the old shopper is the answer.....

Now before all you fundamentalists call for a flogging and for me to have my fixie licence revoked hear me out...

The fixie is fixed - and therefore a complete pig to jump on and off, can't get through gaps for fear of pedal strike and is poor at slow speed tight cornering - all the things you'd want to be able to do "nipping into town for a pint of milk / loaf of bread". I should play my cards face up here when I say "nipping into town for a pint of milk / loaf of bread" what I mean is "nipping into town for a pint of milk / loaf of bread and a cheeky sit down for a secret coffee and a read of the paper in that posh French place on the high street - whilst you look after Biachi and cope with her fecking screaming for no apparent reason - yes I am jacking on you big time but hey! Them's the breaks"

Don't tell Mrs T....

So then - the shopper comes out of storage, a new seat post fitted (how the old one got lost is beyond me"...

Anyhoo....

The shooper is freewheel - I haven't ridden freewheel for six weeks and it just felt really really weird...

It felt broken - it shouldn't do that should it?

I was worried that in mixing my hub set ups I'd get raging bum disease and be unable to ride fixie again and would jump on the magic elevator everytime I slowed down "going UP!!!!".....

I seem to have got away with it though...
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I get the freewheel doesn't feel quite right thing too. As you continue to pedal slower than the speed you're going it feels odd

the main thing is you don't forget how to ride fixed is you stop for a bit... in my experience anyway
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I've worked out the back thing, stupid human error it seems :oops:

Normally I jump on the bike and hit maximum speed immediately, creating a tear in the spacetime continuum thus propelling me to warp which is clearly why I never see anyone on my commute....

I might have had a little too much coffee this morning :shock:

The more down to Earth explanation it seems is I'm old and should warm up before any form of time travel.

Off to the LBS now, I need to get my damn 16T single speed sprocket off, it's jam on solid.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Welcome back again Greg!

I actually quite enjoy nipping to places with my fixie, I think I'm just so used to the fixed-ness of it all that the above complaints don't bother me!

However, saying that I am getting a new chain and a new tube for the old cruiser, and am going to start using it for shopping, fit a basket to it and maybe some solid pannier box type things.

For old time's sake, y'know.
    raging bum disease

Sounds painful!

Oh and at least it sounds like your shopper is also SS...? So your licence is not yet revoked...
  • Greg T wrote:

> It felt broken - it shouldn't do that should it?

If it ain't fixed, it's broken.

( I've taken to thinking of my tourer as The Broken Bike...!)

Cheers,
    W.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    itboffin wrote:

Off to the LBS now, I need to get my damn 16T single speed sprocket off, it's jam on solid.

I've got this Miche Jobby.

00.jpg

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/reviews/hubreview/miche/

Rather than the entire cog screwing off the carrier stays on and the cog slips off and on - held in place by the lockring.

No worries swapping cogs.

I recomemd it strongly.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Talking of GIs, Chris Hoy rides a 52/14 on the track - considered a mid-range gear. I think that's around 100?? :shock:

Also, that Miche thing looks good.
  • Clever Pun
    I got my phil woods made with open pro wheels at the weekend... they're lovely.

Beers on Friday anyone?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • I'm on for friday beers this week, put a post asking if anyone else was in on the SCR thread but nobody seems to have replied... :cry:
  • Clever Pun
    edited September 2008
    I'm on for friday beers this week, put a post asking if anyone else was in on the SCR thread but nobody seems to have replied... :cry:

well give it a little bit of time...

Edit: seeing Jash's mail about the west country has just reminded me I'm going to Bristol on friday night... ooops
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • I have a meeting in Exeter on friday, hopefully I'll be back in London for 5 or so, could well make beers but I'll be bikeless and suited! Oh the shame.
  • Ooooooooooh especially after your prior history of scathing attacks on the non-cycling attendees... :P
  • Ooooooooooh especially after your prior history of scathing attacks on the non-cycling attendees... :P

Mmm, perhaps I'll go home first, change and then bring the Prince out instead!

Mmm, perhaps I'll go home first, change and then bring the Prince out instead!

Fun to change INTO cycling gear for an evening in the pub!!
  • It's called "Winter Training" - don'tcha know... :D
  • It's called "Winter Training" - don'tcha know... :D

:lol::lol:

• But I wonder if you should consider a bigger gear if you're spinning out to the extent that the bike's wobbling... or if you've got a flip-flop hub then you could get a sprocket for the freewheel side?:shock:

no flip/flop :-( and I think it's more to do with me riding clipless...
  • itboffin
    Interesting looking contraption that Miche sprocket + holder it should go nicely on the Miche hub i'm running that if the LBS can get the damn thing off.

I've chosen a new 14T freewheel for the back that should take me to a nice 88.7GI - should be good training for the MASSIVE ring when it arrives.

No beers for me this time I'm afraid, too far to travel now :cry: although I will be in London next Friday.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Anyone got any recommendations on a wheelset for the Bowery. I've been eyeing up the open pros, CP, i see you have a set and seem happy with them.

Also, I've cast a lascivious eye over halo wheels, ooh those dirty dirty white rims give me very naughty thoughts ooh sir!

but really I'm a bit limited on budget at the mo. Oh the shame :cry:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    OMG...if I ever thought my 52 was impressive...check out this cheeky chappie Nick Obwdler is a TTing legend who sports a jaw-droppingly impressive 77 tooth chainring!

1602_10708412794651f898eb4c8.jpg
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Clever Pun
    Littigator wrote:
    Anyone got any recommendations on a wheelset for the Bowery. I've been eyeing up the open pros, CP, i see you have a set and seem happy with them.

Also, I've cast a lascivious eye over halo wheels, ooh those dirty dirty white rims give me very naughty thoughts ooh sir!

they were recommended by a friend... I've not ridden myself yet (they're for the project), but they sure look the business :lol:

they weren't cheap I paid £40 per rim and each wheel worked out about £90 I think with my own hubs!!!!
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Littigator wrote:

:

I'm still flirting with a pair of these, but the credit crunch is biting...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Littigator wrote:

:

No, no, no. We need to reboot the economy by injecting liquidity through bicycle pimping. At least, that's my excuse now i've ordered some of the new 2009 castelli kit ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Littigator wrote:

What's wrong with the current wheels?

*ducks and runs away giggling*

TARTS!!! :D
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

:

No, no, no. We need to reboot the economy by injecting liquidity through bicycle pimping. At least, that's my excuse now i've ordered some of the new 2009 castelli kit ;)

You bastard - I've been hankering over some of that. Why is the list of cycling stuff I need (want) never ending:

Turbo Trainer
    Castelli LS Jersey
    Some 3/4 windproof bibs
    Spare underjersey
    2 new Castelli caps
    1 Castelli beanie
    some Knog Frog lights
    FFWD Deep Rim wheels
    KCNC Brakes
    White - Halo Aeroage Wheels
    Full fingered gloves
    Speedplay Nano pedals

Arghhhhhhhh!
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

:

You bastard - I've been hankering over some of that. Why is the list of cycling stuff I need (want) never ending:

Turbo Trainer
    Castelli LS Jersey
    Some 3/4 windproof bibs
    Spare underjersey
    2 new Castelli caps
    1 Castelli beanie
    some Knog Frog lights
    FFWD Deep Rim wheels
    KCNC Brakes
    Full fingered gloves
    Speedplay Nano pedals

Arghhhhhhhh!

You are all.....

sweet_berry_tarts.jpg
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

:

Turbo Trainer
    Castelli LS Jersey
    Some 3/4 windproof bibs
    Spare underjersey
    2 new Castelli caps
    1 Castelli beanie
    some Knog Frog lights
    FFWD Deep Rim wheels
    KCNC Brakes
    Full fingered gloves
    Speedplay Nano pedals

Arghhhhhhhh!
    Ok. I'll backtrack slightly, when I said some I meant one of the less pricey jackets (still hurt). I can't justify any more as I bought the fantastic Solo jacket earlier in the summer on your recommendation (ta). The wishlist grows ever longer, sigh

@L_i_t, tart designation is duly noted and accepted ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Ok. I'll backtrack slightly, when I said some I meant one of the less pricey jackets (still hurt). I can't justify any more as I bought the fantastic Solo jacket earlier in the summer on your recommendation (ta). The wishlist grows ever longer, sigh

It's a fab bit of kit ain't it!
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:

It's a fab bit of kit ain't it!
    Yep. Kept me toasty on a cold, misty descent of the Galibier earlier in the month :)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    Littigator wrote:

Loving my open pro's with stronglight on the front and miche on the back, totally smooth and very cheap.