Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• Remember you need to know your BCD diameter before buying.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Ahem cough Actually Jash he just need's to know his BCD which stands for Bolt Circle DIAMETER rather than his BCD diameter as quoted by you.

Yes, I am such a laughably desparate pedant :wink:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Littigator wrote:
    Ahem cough Actually Jash he just need's to know his BCD which stands for Bolt Circle DIAMETER rather than his BCD diameter as quoted by you.

FFS Litt. :shock:
  • Littigator wrote:

Litts that really is a shocker...

However as a fellow pedant I have just one acronym and one word for you....

PIN number....

Lynn Truss anyone?? :lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    OK, boys, ok, calm yourselves down with your big rings....

ITB, what are you thinking going for 98 GI on a hilly commute? You will be dead, dead I tell you! I hope you were joking.... :shock:

This GI arms race is going to be the demise of all your creaky femurs!

Furthermore, don't you know that small sprockets are much cheaper and easier to fit/change than big rings? Hmmmm? Although, I grant you, the potential for jokes is substantially worsened.... :)

How are the peeps going with the fixed riding? CleverPun? Getting used to it 5 pages in? My bowery's back tyre has a very slow puncture.... like it takes 4 days to go down slow... I'm too lazy to change the tube :oops:

Welcome back LiT
    No joke I'm going for a MASSIVE ring, I did two 20 mile SUPER hilly rides this weekend using 50/16T ONLY - my legs are very ache this morning (Radox rules) but my avg. speed stayed about 18 mph so i'm pretty pleased, I'm planning a lot more rides in Sept. after I get my broken spoke replaced.

I even did the same hill twice just for fun :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Do you Edgeware road? In which case I'll keep my eyes peeled for you!

That's just wrong! baiting other thread members in to the SCR, tut tut tut
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Littigator
    Littigator wrote:

PIN number....

Eeerrrrrrr since when was "PIN Number" one word?

sigh it's just too easy!

• Littigator wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

PIN number....

Eeerrrrrrr since when was "PIN Number" one word?

sigh it's just too easy!

See helpful bold highlight above.... :P
  • Littigator
    DAMMIT...mutter mutter get revenge mutter (wibble wibble) kill everyone mutter

• That'll teach you to use gratuitous pedantry young Littigator.... especially when JA was being nice.

And ITB, I think you're mad. Good luck. :shock:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I've been commuting on my new Pearson Touche the last couple of days and it's been a blast. Sprinting between traffic lights (while observing the primary SCR rule) and whirling my legs as fast as they will go. May soon gird my loins, man up and flip the flop to ride fixed instead of SS :shock:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    quick question, which will be high on the tartometer

I picked up campag record crank at the weekend in a sweet deal... do i

A) use it to replace my veloce crank on the road bike and buy a dedicated track crank

B) fit just the one ring on it and use it on my build

thanks
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:

A) use it to replace my veloce crank on the road bike and buy a dedicated track crank

thanks
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:

thanks

I hoped you'd answer :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:

thanks

Yes, yes, since I know exactly what you're talking about and of course fully understand the two options I think you should do exactly what Jashburnham said...
  • itboffin
    [drool] I came across one of these frames today in my LBS http://www.merlinbike.com/images/2006/gallery/Merlin_Cyrene_Side_L.jpg want want want, stamping of feet and tears [/drool]
  • A cool 2k for f+f!!!! Worth it??? Give me a cervelo!
  • Mmm, that is lovely. Much prettier than a plastic bike. Vertical dropouts, though...

Cheers,
    W.
  • Mmm, that is lovely. Much prettier than a plastic bike. Vertical dropouts, though...

Cheers,
    W.
  • It's very purty, I grant you. But too expensive for me!

That's the thing with fixed/ss bikes, what do you get for the extra money between say my bowery at £225 and that bike at £2000?

Is it really nearly ten times better?

I can see it more with geared bikes.
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/f ... able-18680

This is a singly - imagine the cost if they'd geared it with Campag!
    R25

Ridgeback R25 - 1% bike
  • R25 Flyer wrote:

What a pile of nasty w@nk that is.
  • itboffin
    Yup touché JB
  • Hi,
    LiT writes:

> That's the thing with fixed/ss bikes, what do you get for the extra money between say my bowery at £225 and that bike at £2000?

Lighter, smoother, more responsive. Higher quality parts last longer, run smoother, stay in tune better etc. It'll just _feel_ much better to ride, as though all the energy you put in to riding it is going to use.

> Is it really nearly ten times better?

No. You hit the law of diminishing returns, where a small improvement costs a lot more money. If you think of a graph of cost vs quality, it's a curve, not a straight line. Initially a small increase in spend will see a big improvement in quality ( a Revolution is much better than a supermarket special) but then the curve flattens and you have to spend much more to get even a small benefit.
    You can argue forever about the "sweet spot" on the curve but it depends on your budget, what you use the bike for, how much you appreciate the improvements etc.

Cheers,
    W.
  • I'm not sure that these points are relevant with respect to the gold bike highlighted above. To me that falls in the ridiculous "Chanel" bike category - i.e a highly polished t*rd. £6k and weighs 36lbs!

chanel%20bike%201%20feb08.jpg
  • I saw one of those chanel bikes in Harrods a while ago, really hilarious! And teh worrying thing is that I doubt they'd make them if nobody bought them... :shock:

And on this:
    Lighter, smoother, more responsive. Higher quality parts last longer, run smoother, stay in tune better etc. It'll just _feel_ much better to ride, as though all the energy you put in to riding it is going to use.

I'm with you on the 'lighter', but I just don't know how the rest of it really applies to a fixed/ss bike, apart from perhaps the 'feel'.

I might have to try out a really pricey fixie and see if I notice the difference.
  • New to the forum and just wanted to say, I recently got me a lovely fixie, re-furbed 1970's Raleigh frame and it goes like the proverbial wind. Well, it wants to, my legs aren't always up to it.

Now when I ride my beloved old roadie it feels like a beast to be heaved about the road.
    Not sure if that's a good thing...

• Welcome, and congratulations on moving over to the dark side!

We all need to know what your fixie looks like. Urgently. Also, we need to know your GI... :D
  • GI?

oo-er wot's that then?
  • Littigator
    facemunk wrote:
    GI?

oo-er wot's that then?

oh dear, someone give the noob a chinese burn and steal his dinner money please

GI + gear inches...equating to how big a man you are/or in LiTs case how much she delights in making men feel small and inadequate :wink:

check out http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/rabbit.applet.html

You'll need to know how many teeth you have on your chain ring and sprocket and preferrably how long your cranks are too