Silly commuting racing

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    So you've just bought your first pair of cycling shoes, perhaps you've opted for SPD off road style or hydrid trainer types (no LiT no!!!) either way they'll never look as cool as proper road shoes but your the sensible proud sort who doesn't fancy a head first trip down the stairs or an involuntary splits, oh yes and you're to lazy to carry another pair of normal shoes well could this be the answer?

http://www.cleatskins.com/

So do I throw away those stinky old Spesh BG and splash out on some shiny new Sidi's and a pair of cleatskins?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Evening all.

Todays commute was both excellent and really bad, This morning I decided to take the REALLY long way to work, Well really long for me, 9 miles, 45 mins later I was in work and feeling great, I did chase a shaved roadie down and was about to pass as we got to a hill, I held back knowing he would only over take me as soon as we hit the hill anyway

Then this evening the rain left and the sun came out, However I had my first puncture, 180 miles before I got hit though so not too bad, My c02 canister didnt work so I didnt get as much pressure in them as I was happy with so it was slow coming back.

I did get me thinking though and you guys are the best people to ask, Would I benifit from Clipless ? I see most people use them so its something I considering, Would my size cause any problems, any cons ? whats the real pros ?

Cheers in advance.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • gb155 wrote:
    Evening all.

Todays commute was both excellent and really bad, This morning I decided to take the REALLY long way to work, Well really long for me, 9 miles, 45 mins later I was in work and feeling great, I did chase a shaved roadie down and was about to pass as we got to a hill, I held back knowing he would only over take me as soon as we hit the hill anyway

Then this evening the rain left and the sun came out, However I had my first puncture, 180 miles before I got hit though so not too bad, My c02 canister didnt work so I didnt get as much pressure in them as I was happy with so it was slow coming back.

I did get me thinking though and you guys are the best people to ask, Would I benifit from Clipless ? I see most people use them so its something I considering, Would my size cause any problems, any cons ? whats the real pros ?

Cheers in advance.

Trying to take a shaved roadie on a hill!! That would require a courageous effort. I did it once and waited for the steepest section (the last 50 yards or so before the main road and roundabout) as I passed I gave a cheery "Nearly there!" Very cruel......but then we where both around the same FCN so it wasn't a proper scalp!

As for going clipless it can make a big difference. I've recently changed over and found it was much better for any sort of riding that involved putting in effort as I could get the power down through the whole pedal stroke. It does of course almost mean you have to learn how to ride again as your probably not used to doing much more then pushing down!

Are you riding with toe-clips at the moment? If not I'd suggest trying them first as they can provide a similar experience and get you used to the idea of being "attatched" to your pedals and the pitfalls this can bring. I went with a pair of Shimano M520 SPD pedals with some cycle shoes from Lidl! Set me back about £45 - £30 for pedals, £15 for shoes (these where on offer during the cycling week a while back)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    itboffin wrote:

So do I throw away those stinky old Spesh BG and splash out on some shiny new Sidi's and a pair of cleatskins?

Alternatively, you could get a couple of watermelons and stick your feet in them as soon as you get off the bike. Also serve as a handy emergency fluid replenishment source.

Those things look crazy - remind me off crocs for some reason.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    gb155 wrote:
    Would I benifit from Clipless ? I see most people use them so its something I considering, Would my size cause any problems, any cons ? whats the real pros ?

Cheers in advance.

You'd definitely benefit, you will need to get used to getting out of them as you stop - almost everyone ends up in a heap on the floor at least once when getting used to them. (not as bad as it sounds, you're always practically stationery at the critical moment.

I'd second BJUK's idea about tryng toeclips (don't tighten them up though they'll be harder to get out of than clipless like that), The main benefit is in efficiency, you'll go faster for the same amount of effort.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Fonz
    Fonz Posts: 4
    Where is my commute? Well, actually, Auckland New Zealand. So I'm pounding asphalt on my way to work while you're all heading home the night before! My commute doubles as the first part of my triathlon training for the day. It's only about 22kms but enough to get the legs warm for a swim session in the morning, run a lunch and longer ride in the evening.

I didn't see P3 girl this morning... although I did see her in my dreams all night. I thought I'd timed my routine perfectly so I'd bump into her again on the waterfront. I even rushed through my banana, still munching as I rode down my driveway so I wouldn't be late. But alas, today it was not to be...

How many points do you get if you pass an entire bunch of leg shaving, lycra wearing, carbon bike riding drones out on their early morning ride? There must have been 15+ of them and they were probably sitting on about 33km/h, had to use the wrong side of the road to get around them! But that was fun in itself, a quick tilt of the roadie brim on the way past and back onto the drops like I hadn't even lifted the cadence (even though it hurt... especially deep down, with the wounds still raw from P3 girl...)
  • itboffin
    what's this km/h you talk of.......? damn euro mumble mumble don't mention the war blah blah clap trap, back of Brussels. :evil:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Fonz wrote:
    Where is my commute? Well, actually, Auckland New Zealand. So I'm pounding asphalt on my way to work while you're all heading home the night before! My commute doubles as the first part of my triathlon training for the day. It's only about 22kms but enough to get the legs warm for a swim session in the morning, run a lunch and longer ride in the evening.

I didn't see P3 girl this morning... although I did see her in my dreams all night. I thought I'd timed my routine perfectly so I'd bump into her again on the waterfront. I even rushed through my banana, still munching as I rode down my driveway so I wouldn't be late. But alas, today it was not to be...

How many points do you get if you pass an entire bunch of leg shaving, lycra wearing, carbon bike riding drones out on their early morning ride? There must have been 15+ of them and they were probably sitting on about 33km/h, had to use the wrong side of the road to get around them! But that was fun in itself, a quick tilt of the roadie brim on the way past and back onto the drops like I hadn't even lifted the cadence (even though it hurt... especially deep down, with the wounds still raw from P3 girl...)

IM training?

You only get points if they'e higher than you in the FC.

This girl has got to be pro something or other.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'm still following this thread.

A load of other mtb'ers seem to have noticed it too!

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... c&start=45
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    what's this km/h you talk of.......? damn euro mumble mumble don't mention the war blah blah clap trap, back of Brussels. :evil:

If it's any consolation, ITB, they drive on the correct side of the road. :) And they make damn good pies in NZ. Better than the frogs legs nonsense you get across the Channel.

Incidentally, which is more remote: NZ or Wiltshire? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    cjcp, I watched out for you at 7pm on Kings Road today, but no joy. I kept looking round and everything! Wasn't feeling too up for it but was determined to at least hold my own if you showed up. Maybe next time :)
  • Spiny
    Spiny Posts: 12
    Nick R wrote:
    Hi all,

I've got to say this is the funniest thread I've ever read.

As a newbie I was hoping for a bit of clarification from the powers that be. On a ride home last week I caught some hybrid thingy going up a long hill. I thought he was sitting a bit upright and relaxed (with his best "I'm not trying" posture) until I realised that his bike was motorized. I went past but couldn't drop him and was wondering where I stood. Should I have dropped him like a bad habit or kudos to me for catching him in the first place? If all else fails can I claim points for novelty value?

Almost forgot, I'm a 9 or 10 (beard dependent) on a MTB. (I know, I know!!!)

When I have overtaken lesser-thighed mortals on my winter hack (The ‘Dutch Dreadnought’ – everything-but-the-kitchen-sink in bolt-on accessories, full chaincased, hub-geared, hub-braked, hub-dynamoed Gazelle roadster with ye-olde cloth panniers, rack-top bag, u-lock etc.etc., unladen weight 40lbs. FCN : a gadzillion) I have sometimes overheard breathless mutterings along the lines of, ‘Fecking electrical bikes..’

I can't help feeling a tad peeved that these ignorant oiks don't realise they have been scalped down to their sacral vertebrae.

Q-bike par-excellence.
    Lish as uh stone pig-trough

Old Dude on old tourer - FCN 7
    Same Old Dude on 'The Dutch Dreadnought' (roadster - does that count as 'shopper' then?) - FCN 13+
    Silly Old Dude on tarted-up Brompton - FCN 12ish
  • Fonz
    Fonz Posts: 4
    cjcp wrote:

IM training?

Yep, IM training, but mainly coz it means I can do jumps all day on my DH bike at the forest and that's way more fun! :D:o 8)

I didn't think I'd get any points on that bunch... the only time I can really get them is at lunchtime when all the tri boys go out for a blast. Today should be good, bluebird, no wind, mmmm, wonder if P3 girl will be out... mmmmm, so dreamy...

And what's with the km/h???? Haha, what's with the MILES an hour?? I think we used to use Miles, and pounds and shillings and pence, but not for at least 20-30 years. However we do have a union jack on the flag and the Queen's gorgeous mug on the back of all our bank notes and coins...
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    itboffin wrote:

Hmm having a look at the website it seems to suggest they are for footy boot cleats rather than bike ones. Think they could cope with the size of a spd-SL cleat?

Also in the faq they don't cope with metal cleats.

I suspect they'd be very uncomfy and put your foot at a funny angle even if they did cope with the size of the cleat. I recommend you man up and look like a nonce and fall over lots walking on your cleats instead!
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • itboffin wrote:

I'm afraid you would look like a lesbian in these shoes.
    The user previously known as Sea_Green_Incorruptible.

Soloist Team: http://tinyurl.com/3tjjcn
    Cycle Path Cruiser: http://tinyurl.com/4yvfrr
    Knobbly Action: http://tinyurl.com/44cofe
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    itboffin wrote:
    So you've just bought your first pair of cycling shoes, perhaps you've opted for SPD off road style or hydrid trainer types (no LiT no!!!) either way they'll never look as cool as proper road shoes but your the sensible proud sort who doesn't fancy a head first trip down the stairs or an involuntary splits, oh yes and you're to lazy to carry another pair of normal shoes well could this be the answer?

Those look utterly ridculous! Man up and skate like the rest of us ITB! :x
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

If it's any consolation, ITB, they drive on the correct side of the road. :) And they make damn good pies in NZ. Better than the frogs legs nonsense you get across the Channel.

Incidentally, which is more remote: NZ or Wiltshire? :)

Good point.
  • itboffin
    biondino wrote:
    cjcp, I watched out for you at 7pm on Kings Road today, but no joy. I kept looking round and everything! Wasn't feeling too up for it but was determined to at least hold my own if you showed up. Maybe next time :)

Stalker alert!!! :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Lesbian you say? I see no problem with that so perhaps a pair of the pink camo then.
  • Littigator
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Lesbian you say? I see no problem with that so perhaps a pair of the pink camo then.

Watch it, you'll have Biondino "watching out for you" and trying to hump your leg!

• Spiny
    Fonz wrote:
    Mystery P3 girl, I love you, you are perfect...

Fonz. You lucky dog. If only there existed Players like this on my commute. Wouldn't life be sweet? <Sigh>

So what is a P3, huh?

(OK, OK, so I am an ignorant oik too!)

Same Old Dude on 'The Dutch Dreadnought' (roadster - does that count as 'shopper' then?) - FCN 13+
  • A P3 is one of these: http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=P32009

Great for nipping about in traffic and an awsome load carrier if you fit panniers to it.
    The user previously known as Sea_Green_Incorruptible.

Soloist Team: http://tinyurl.com/3tjjcn
    Cycle Path Cruiser: http://tinyurl.com/4yvfrr
    Knobbly Action: http://tinyurl.com/44cofe
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:

I was a shade ahead of you. Think I went through about 6.40.

Good job I didn't see you either - had a heavy rucsac and my right cleat broke and had to tootle along, so was easy pickings. Still managed to tow a few people home from school though.

Easy pickings on the way in this morning too. Took it very easy. Bought new cleats this morning though, so normal service should resume tonight. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Fonz wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

IM training?

Yep, IM training, but mainly coz it means I can do jumps all day on my DH bike at the forest and that's way more fun! :D:o 8)

Iquote]

IM NZ next year?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Littigator
    A P3 is one of these: http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=P32009

Great for nipping about in traffic and an awsome load carrier if you fit panniers to it.

I love the whooshing sound those disc wheels make as they go past...past the other way obviously not passing me as in overtaking (AHEM, cough)

• Littigator
    PS...I just noticed we've passed the 100,000 views mark on this thread...I think that deserves a mention don't you?

• Littigator wrote:
    PS...I just noticed we've passed the 100,000 views mark on this thread...I think that deserves a mention don't you?

Most of them were me.

I was awesome this morning. Beat my best time, beat my best average and kicked one arse along the way. The Game makes you better and fitter. Its great.

Anyway, this thread will no doubt turn into a 'what time for beers' later. I expect 5 pages of arrangements.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • cjcp wrote:

Good job I didn't see you either - had a heavy rucsac and my right cleat broke and had to tootle along, so was easy pickings. Still managed to tow a few people home from school though.

Easy pickings on the way in this morning too. Took it very easy. Bought new cleats this morning though, so normal service should resume tonight. :)

Your chain is coming off and your cleats are dying? Not having a good time of it really are you!

I came in to the Osteopath this morning, slight deviation from my normal route, but lo and behold the man on the hybrid who had given me such trouble drafting me all the way in was back again! Nyaha! And I absolutely flew past him and disappeared off into the distance making F1 car noises....

nnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

I must have just been having a bad day last time.

And I had a moment of triumph that probably wasn't a scalp, going up the hill on the road north of Holland Park - Holland Park Road, I think, overtook a shaved roadie all in black... bwahahahaha! Girl, single speed, baggies.

Have it!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    6pm, Morpeth Arms. Sorted. (I won't be there till a little bit later - can you put some kind of cycling paraphenalia on the table so I know who you are?)
  • Spiny
    edited September 2008
    A P3 is one of these: http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=P32009

Zowee!

Almost (almost - mind) wouldn't mind being scalped by one of those... espesh if ridden by Fonz's nemesis, of course.