Silly commuting racing

Comments

• mapless
    mapless Posts: 16
    What a fine morning, up at 6 rode into Swindon in the emreging sunshine, and then a quick blast through Hyde Park, no notable scalps, but apologies to the guy on the Plug Charge for going past very close to you. The Mondeo man behind suddenly changed lanes and was attempting to run us both off the road at that point. I did have a chuckle afterwards at your ignorance at how close to a pile up that was and I wasn't trying to humiliate you by braking (noisily) as I scapled you.
    One can never have too many bikes, although the missus draws the line at a turbo in the living room. http://commutebybike.wordpress.com/
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    it sounds to me like you're getting muscles spasms - that was the difference between being really sore and shout out loud agony for me. I'd take something for that - I think going into spasm can set your recovery back. I'm not a doctor though. Might be worth having a chat with your GP. When I cracked a rib skiing I got paracetmol, ibuprofen and a seperate anti-spasmodic.

J
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    G66: I've had a few sessions like that myself, where it seems that the powers that be have it in for you! Of course this is balanced (almost) by the times where each set of lights seems to change to green for me or changes at the worst moment (such as the one at the top of Gypsy Hill in Crystal Palace - just where you could do with catching your breath!) Still I try and look on the bright side as red lights give me an opportunity to practise track standing and my sprint starts :-D

DDD: Sorry to hear about the PF visit, some of the potholes that have appeared since the snow last month are HUGE and can really catch you off guard if your not careful! Bunny hopping is a good idea (along with "going light"), but as you slammed your rear wheel in it sounds like you didn't pull your legs up! Don't be affraid of hopping the bike tho, you'd be surprised how sturdy they can be as I've hopped mine over those horrid temp traffic light wire covers before with no ill effect!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Hopping works very well and can even be used over cattle grids if you happen to be flying down a hill and haven't noticed it in time. If done correctly the forces on the bike are minimal. You can also do an un weighting type of thing for some speed bumps.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Wow it was amazing this morning, Tooled up with lycra ( I know lol) and fingerless gloves I got to work this morning in 22 mins (7 Miles) and I got to work feeling refreshed and in a great mood.

On the way home myself and a layyyyyyyyyyyyyde cyclist were duking it out for a good 4 miles before we went out seperate ways, I did scalp her and I did stay in front but always had the feeling that she could If she wanted to take me, For now though its a scalp Im gonna take, I also got home in 31 mins (a new PB)

All in all I quite like this bike riding lark...........

I just hope the weather continues on the path it was today :D

Gaz
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Well done on the new PB's Gaz! I expect they will come down even further as it warms up as your body will get working a lot quicker!

Managed to catch a nice draft from a lorry along one drag on the way home this evening, looked down as I thought we where slowing down and I saw 26mph on the cycle computer!! Unfortunately I couldn't use the shelter all the way home, bloody traffic ;-) Filtered round the left and nipped past all the queuing traffic - it's so satisfying!

Might even chance it with shorts tomorrow..........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    !

Dunno, leg warmers is as much as I'll be going to. It was glorious today but still only 5 or 6 in the morning and pretty chilly tonight. . Ne'er cast a clout and all that. :roll:
  • gb155
    Well done on the new PB's Gaz! I expect they will come down even further as it warms up as your body will get working a lot quicker!

Managed to catch a nice draft from a lorry along one drag on the way home this evening, looked down as I thought we where slowing down and I saw 26mph on the cycle computer!! Unfortunately I couldn't use the shelter all the way home, bloody traffic ;-) Filtered round the left and nipped past all the queuing traffic - it's so satisfying!

Cheers man, I do seem to get quicker as it warms up out, Looks cold this morning so not sure if to go with leg warmers or continue with shorts :?:

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    First 2009 pre-commute lap of RP this AM, yey! Legs weren't feeling great this morning, so only managed a 19:28 lap. Still took a fellow roadie on Sawyers Hill (non commuter judging by the lack of bag etc). Not much competition on the way back to Pimlico, but took 2 roadie scalps on Embankment - traffic was a 'mare though. I suppose technically none of my scalps count as I wasn't commuting, but still. Here's to many more morning rides in '09.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    What great commute this morning!

Bloody brilliant!

1,2,3,4,5 Senses working overtime.....then thanks to the Noisettes on the the radio before I left

Go baby, go baby go....Don't forget the rhythm

What a flyer! Knocked a mighty 10 minutes off my personal best, light were going green as I willed them, bike handling like a dream, everyone being left behind in a light speed blur, warp drive engaged Mr Zulu...A1 filtering..Had a lanky fella on a hybrid get past me to un drop himhelf, him spinning like a hamster filled with EPO and speed...I'd taken him on the stretch before and he thought he'd have a go, but filtering and me having to turn off stopped me putting up a fight, I dropped him once, and I could do it again, made me smile though

Go baby, go baby go...Don't forget the rhythm
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Here's to many more morning rides in '09.

Ab-so-loot-lee!!! :D

Planning three laps on Thursday morning.

Where were the roadies last night? Embankment was blocked up with hybrids, mtbs, tourers and panniers. This morning was a bit better.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    gb155 wrote:

Cheers man, I do seem to get quicker as it warms up out, Looks cold this morning so not sure if to go with leg warmers or continue with shorts :?:

SHORTS!!!!

This is the UK for heaven's sake. The first sign of sun and we all strip off and head for the beach!!!!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • snooks
    cjcp wrote:
    SHORTS!!!!

This is the UK for heaven's sake. The first sign of sun and we all strip off and head for the beach!!!!

Shorts!....and erm a jacket :)

I don't get to bask in the embankment morning sunshine now....a lot of my commute is in shadow :(
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Morning all. I managed a 27.30 ride home last night and a 28-minute ride in today (with a slight headwind?) - still at the slow end but all I can do is push myself and start the fitness on its slow progression upwards. Frustrating, but the frustration is easily less meaningful than the delight at being back in the saddle! Can't yet push out of the saddle - too sore - so it does sometimes feel a bit ponderous, but no complaints.

Got scalped last night by a dud with team shorts and tri bars, so that doesn't count, right? Also I am in recovery :)
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I'm riding in shorts, a long sleeved base layer and a jersey at the moment. Sometimes 3/4 shorts and a windproof gilet if it looks chilly. Haven't used a jacket since it stopped snowing.

There's a few more cyclists about now, but no decent scalping prospects today. I have discovered that the way to drop people hard on my commute is to use the hills. You don't get proper hills round here, so they seem to cause all the competition to slow to a crawl and mash their way to the top.

Easy prey...
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    the sun was delightful.
    the puncture on the kings road less so. especially as i ripped the top off the valve on the spare inner tube so had to mend the the original. hour and half door to door..argh!!
    Always in stealth mode
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    martinc wrote:
    the sun was delightful.
    the puncture on the kings road less so. especially as i ripped the top off the valve on the spare inner tube so had to mend the the original. hour and half door to door..argh!!

Bad luck fella!

I spent 20 miles worrying about p*ncturing this morning - have a severe lack of confidence in Pro Race 3's at the mo. Held up fine though.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    In 3/4 shorts, tee shirt and arm warmers - I look like a reject from a bad Sci Fi movie.....

As for the business of SCR - 12 last night (all clad in full on winter kit - they must have been boiling! Had a nice race with a guy on a Specialized in full "team" kit. He went passed me going down a hill - I got him on the next ascent and then left him for the next 3 straight miles - slight headwind. I was hanging when I got to work though.....

My fixie will be built before the end of this month...roll on! And some big mileage rides in coming up too - when I don't have to be home for dog or kids!

Farted allot this morning too.....;-) Classy me!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I overtook a dog this morning.. does that count?
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    New route home.

Camberwell Road
    Turn left onto Camberwell New Road (this is the route I take to the Mopeth Club House).
    Turn Left at Oval tube onto Clapham Road.
    Drag strip the A3 onto the A24 (that's Clapham, Balham, Tooting and Colliers Wood - all one straight road) all the way to Wimbledon!!! :D

8 miles.

(My entire commute (home and back is about 15miles)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    New route home.

Camberwell Road
    Turn left onto Camberwell New Road (this is the route I take to the Mopeth Club House).
    Drag strip the A3 onto the A24 (that's Clapham, Balham, Tooting and Colliers Wood - all one straight road) all the way to Wimbledon!!! :D

8 miles.

Excellent work! Extending your commute is certainly fun........I could go on a ridiculous diversion on the way home from town and practically follow you back to Colliers Wood! Maybe once the days get longer :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    New route home.

Camberwell Road

8 miles.

Excellent work! Extending your commute is certainly fun........I could go on a ridiculous diversion on the way home from town and practically follow you back to Colliers Wood! Maybe once the days get longer :-)

You are more than welcome. Then i can show you the Power of D. The button of absolute doom and my lights to light sprinting technique!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • snooks
    I'm thinking about extending my commute too...7 miles in isn't the 13 miles I'm used to, just as I get into the long commute mentality it's time to stop...On the way in I'm thinking about carrying on along the embankment to Parliment square and heading off there and coming back south of the Thames to add a mile or two onto things,

Then on the way back, getting to Stratford and doing a lap of a bit of green stuff near Wanstead, just so I feel like I used to after my 13 miles.

Just worried that I used to cycle 26 miles in a day, and now I'm down to 13 so I'll have to work in the office twice as much, and that's never a good thing
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • gb155
    cjcp wrote:
    gb155 wrote:

SHORTS!!!!

This is the UK for heaven's sake. The fir
    st sign of sun and we all strip off and head for the beach!!!!

Aye oped for shorts, Feel like I have man flu now though :roll:

Better get a quilt, lemsip and a maid (or if not the wife) ready :shock:

• snooks
    I've found my SCR song!...It even works on the way home :D

It's the noisettes, Don't up the upset the rhythm http://www.myspace.com/noisettesuk

See what you think.......

Don't upset the rhythm though
    Don't upset the rhythm

The time is right [Time to go to work]
    Th' sun is sleeping in the sky [morning sunshine like the last few days]
    Free Yo' Mind [Clear your mind of everything but The Game]
    You never know what you might find [prey and lots of it hopefully]
    What's your vice? [so whatcha riding and what's you FCN]
    You know we won't compromise [neither will I, I'll take everyone]
    So let me show you
    Some-thing super beau-ti-ful [my carbon and red stead as it flys past]
    Lets rock the boat
    The magic is unstoppable ! [That's me! ;) ]
    For on the floor
    It's the rhythm you've been wai-ting for
    Pure de-light [watch me spin off into the distance]
    Kick, Snare, Hat-Ride!

Its all up to you
    And whatever you do
    Don't cut into my action [I'm coming through, that scalp is mine]
    4-3-2-1.. [red to red/orange to GREEN]

(Go baby, go baby GO !) [later, I'm gone]
    (Go baby, go baby GO !)
    Don't upset the rhythm
    (Go baby, go baby GO !)
    Don't upset the rhythm, don't you dare
    (Go baby, go baby GO !)
    Don't upset the rhythm

Skin and bone [that's whats powering me]
    And a baton microphone [erm ok, may be team SCR or summut]
    Can't get home [Obvious! Traffic, red lights, but nothing will stop me]
    But you can use my dog and bone [well you could if you could catch me]
    We'll crank that stereo [reminds me of freewheel with the guys and girls with stereos]
    Even when the speakers blow [they do in my head as I push on home]
    D-I-Y
    Just meet me up in paradise.. [the perfect scalp]

What-ever it takes
    To car-ry you away
    It all comes down to actions [That's the Game]
    4-3-2-1..

(Go baby, go baby GO !)
    (Go baby, go baby GO !)
    Don't upset the rhythm
    (Go baby, go baby GO !)
    Don't upset the rhythm, don't you dare
    (Go baby, go baby GO !)

Don't upset the rhythm ) is going to cut me up...no car, but Mr team is behind me. Sweep left, and I have a clear road ahead. I'm within a mile of home and have nothing to loose, I use the Legs of Lance to get up a slight incline (col de Maryland anyone?) and then its into a 90º sweeping right, and I use the LoL again to get ahead, clear at the roundabout, check blind spot, a bright white pinpoint some way behind, I'll be having your scalp now, thank you Sweep left, and into filter mode, game over... Sweet" rel="nofollow">http://www.myspace.com/noisettesuk[/url

Anyway with this tune going round my head, I'm unstoppable. Had a great scalp on the way home.

Approaching Stratford, I see a roadie in team kit and no bag, the sweet smell of a scalp points up the FC (I've just turned on the radio and what should be playing!!! OMG it really is my tune!!) sorry, where was I? Oh yes I set off and catch him just on a corner before the lights. come round the corner, lights are red, but I've passed.

I've shown my hand, he knows I'm there, if he was a Oryx and I was a cheetah I'd be off to Macky D's for dinner, but he isn't and Oryx, and I'm not a cheater [sic]...RSE, no stalking this prey, it's going to be a drag off the lights...We're in a bus lane so plenty of room, he gets the jump on me at the lights, in my mind someone has pressed play...Go baby, go baby go...but don't forget the rhythm, I push hard, borrow DDD's button of absolute doom, and lay a thick sticky layer of Armageddon down.

Lights ahead green, push harder, check blind spot to see if a four wheel tree (it's how I see cars! :D ) is going to cut me up...no car, but Mr team is behind me. Sweep left, and I have a clear road ahead. I'm within a mile of home and have nothing to loose, I use the Legs of Lance to get up a slight incline (col de Maryland anyone?) and then its into a 90º sweeping right, and I use the LoL again to get ahead, clear at the roundabout, check blind spot, a bright white pinpoint some way behind, I'll be having your scalp now, thank you

Sweep left, and into filter mode, game over...

Sweet
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • This morning was a fine day to ride...........................

This evening was a fine night to filter, all 3.5 miles of it. I can't remember filtering stationary traffic for soooo long. Some pile up up at Finsbury Park with Arsenal's finest looking on from the pub..............................

It was a zoo out there, bikes/mbikes all over the show like little ants trying to find any available gap.

Still, it was a luverly evening despite the chaos.
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • cjcp
    Holy Tailwinds, Batman! What a great commute home!

Needed to get home to put the kids to bed, so put the hammer down. Managed 33mph after coming off the slope from Chelsea Bridge and then held 28-30mph for the stretch. Zipped through Putney and when I turned into Queen's Ride with a scooter, I decided to try to keep up. I managed to sustain an unprecedented 27-29mph up Queen's Ride and was holding the scooter just off the starboard bow for about 150 yards before it edged away, but I caught up at the roundabout and, despite my best efforts, the scooter crested Bolan Bridge before me and turned off down Gypsy Lane.

Hammered it through the peaceful surrounds of Richmond Park and made it home in under 50 mins. :D

EDIT: Had it not been for the poxy traffic on Embankment, it would have been close to a PB.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:
    Holy Tailwinds, Batman! What a great commute home!

Needed to get home to put the kids to bed, so put the hammer down. Managed 33mph after coming off the slope from Chelsea Bridge and then held 28-30mph for the stretch. Zipped through Putney and when I turned into Queen's Ride with a scooter, I decided to try to keep up. I managed to sustain an unprecedented 27-29mph up Queen's Ride and was holding the scooter just off the starboard bow for about 150 yards before it edged away, but I caught up at the roundabout and, despite my best efforts, the scooter crested Bolan Bridge before me and turned off down Gypsy Lane.

Hammered it through the peaceful surrounds of Richmond Park and made it home in under 50 mins. :D

EDIT: Had it not been for the poxy traffic on Embankment, it would have been close to a PB.

Chapeau Sir :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    I got a "chapeau". 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    martinc wrote:
    the sun was delightful.

B*ugger!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."