Silly commuting racing

Comments

• nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Another roadie I haven't seen before blasted past me like I was standing still on the way home.

In my defence, I was getting worrying noises and vibration from the the front brake at the time, so I was a little distracted (turned out to be a bit of road crap that lodged in the rim wear indicator line, the pad looks like someone's set about it with a stanley knife).

Despite my difficulties, I managed to stay within striking distance for quite a while before I lost him as he filtered through traffic at a junction faster than I was willing to.

I think I may be destined to be an eternal scalpee rather than scalper.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Thanks all and welcome new BLOOD :twisted:

Bristol is indeed an interesting place, today was my first proper visit the city centre, I have to say I liked what I saw apart from all the traffic lights that is.

I had a little look around the back streets taking note of the numbers and types of cyclists for potential future engagements, I'll be back next week for more interviews and hopefully I'll wangle a Friday, it would be good to meet more of the yokel chapter of the SCR :twisted: :roll:

I did notice that there are plenty of cobbled sections in Bristol centre perfect for my cross bike. Should I be lucky enough to bag a new job in the city it would mean a 100mile round trip door to door commute, mmmmm :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    nation wrote:
    I think I may be destined to be an eternal scalpee rather than scalper.

:lol:

Chin up, ol' boy. You'll get stronger, and best take it easy whe filtering (there's a moratorium on racing then anyway - thems the rules).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin wrote:
    Thanks all and welcome new BLOOD :twisted:

Bristol is indeed an interesting place, today was my first proper visit the city centre, I have to say I liked what I saw apart from all the traffic lights that is.

I had a little look around the back streets taking note of the numbers and types of cyclists for potential future engagements, I'll be back next week for more interviews and hopefully I'll wangle a Friday, it would be good to meet more of the yokel chapter of the SCR :twisted: :roll:

I did notice that there are plenty of cobbled sections in Bristol centre perfect for my cross bike. Should I be lucky enough to bag a new job in the city it would mean a 100mile round trip door to door commute, mmmmm :shock:

and as cities go has hills, steep ones at that, i used to go to bristol a fair bit to see friends though they are all londonish now
  • Well after a night out in soho last night and a pootle home, I was feeling distinctly un-clever at 7:30 this morning, but had to get to Lidl before the masses bought all the bike hoists.

Off I went after several coffees, and was the only person there. Curses.

So I got a load of stuff, went home and pootled slowly into work, feeling rough. Scalped the same guy on a red roadie again, but was overtaken by a guy on a hybrid as I pulled away from the lights! AAAaaaaaagh! I reeled him back in, and overtook, don't know how fast but for my hungover corpse it was quite hard work.

I held him off for a few miles, but every time I slowed to filter, he was back, and then he overtook me as I went into SheBu roundabout! Aaaaaaagh! No possibility to rescalp as I'm turning off!

Stupid hangover. I'm blaming that. :cry:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    A little adjudication if you please

I'm on the roadie and I see a fast SS'er ahead of me I manage to pass him at 26, he seems comfortable at this speed... later on I slow a little and he goes back past me... we continue along for a while, I pick a better line filtering and I pass him then the road opens up and I can see his shadow looming and he's about to overtake me... I put the hammers into play and lose his shadow... phew

now.. given he's higher up the scale than me is that a scalp or honours even? I'm inclined to think the latter but I did rebuff him on his 2nd attempt
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • page23
    page23 Posts: 182
    my commute is 13 miles each way, mainly rural and i see virtually no cyclists. it's not fair. where are they all?

i've taken to chasing down engine powered commuters these days just so i can play. not doing too well though...
  • cjcp
    I'd say you win.

If I try to overtake and the intended overtakee shoots away, pull over immediately, sit down at the table that's set up for you and eat the freshly baked Humble Pie before setting off on your way again.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    Page23 wrote:
    my commute is 13 miles each way, mainly rural and i see virtually no cyclists. it's not fair. where are they all?

i've taken to chasing down engine powered commuters these days just so i can play. not doing too well though...

I know that feeling, country lanes make for an enjoyable commute compared to the frantic city centre but other cyclists are few and far between.
  • page23
    will3 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Guys!

This has been discussed elsewhere - the first rule of Secret Commute Bike Race Club is that you don't talk about it! Well OK then.

This is the food chain......

Scooters
    Single speed fixed hub
    Single Speed
    Roadies
    Roadies with hairy legs
    "Fast Hybrids"
    MTBs on Skinnies
    MTBs on Nobbies
    Bromptons / collapsing bikes
    MTB full sus on Nobbies
    Shoppers
    Shoppers wicker baskets
    Electric bikes

Dropping / Pulling anyone higher in the food chain makes you stronger and more attractive to burds. Getting dropped / trying to keep up with anyone lower means your soul hires a kudos remover to lower your self worth.

This is the way it is brothers.

Don't try and deny it.

but the key is that you should show no outward signs of putting any effort in. This is the same as admitting you're racing.

note the last couple of lines. is this a rule and if so did you do this without displaying outward signs of effort?
  • cjcp
    Page23 wrote:
    note the last couple of lines. is this a rule and if so did you do this without displaying outward signs of effort?

Even breathing at all times, no yelping when the muscles cramp up or whimpering when the lactic acid becomes unbearable :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Page23 wrote:

Even breathing at all times, no yelping when the muscles cramp up or whimpering when the lactic acid becomes unbearable :wink:

Easier to hide the breathing now it's warmer and your breath doesn't fog up. :D
  • page23
    edited February 2009
    cjcp wrote:
    Page23 wrote:

Easier to hide the breathing now it's warmer and your breath doesn't fog up. :D

tis true, but as the temperature increases other outward signs of effort will become clear, i.e. copious sweating.

i'm thinking of having a sympathectomy to all my major sweat glands. oh, and i'll be commuting in nothing but pants to minimise this obvious outward sign until it's done.

always thinking...
  • cjcp
    Page23 wrote:
    commuting in nothing but pants to minimise this obvious outward sign until it's done.

always thinking...

Speedos. People will just think you're some crack-pot triathlete.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • page23
    cjcp wrote:
    Page23 wrote:
    commuting in nothing but pants to minimise this obvious outward sign until it's done.

always thinking...

Speedos. People will just think you're some crack-pot triathlete.

if i display the triathlete image then it may alter my score. the grey, saggy briefs will enhance my scalp taking (in a way)...
  • I havent played this yet, but I do try and catch and overtake anyone I see up the road.

Question is, is it acceptable to have snot streaming out of your nose and off your cheek during these efforts or is this seen as "Not hiding the strain" and will it negate any scalp you take.
    "People setting the pace too fast on the front are abused to slow down. Riders that do not share the work are abused. Riders that need abuse get abused and the abuse is done in every language so they get the message"
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    jamesp345 wrote:
    I havent played this yet, but I do try and catch and overtake anyone I see up the road.

Question is, is it acceptable to have snot streaming out of your nose and off your cheek during these efforts or is this seen as "Not hiding the strain" and will it negate any scalp you take.
    Just make sure the snot runs onto your right cheek and there's no problem ;) Welcome to the game.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Wow!

You city folk have so much fun. Before I lost my job, I commuted straight out of Brighton and onto cycle paths and country roads and then right into the middle of nowhere.
    Being that I'm not working now, I decided to cheer myself up by pretending to commute to an imaginary job this morning. Spent 2 hours riding around the busiest parts of Brighton, Hove, Shoreham and loved every second of it. It's just so intense compared with what I was used to, felt like I was only out for 20 minutes.
    My jobhunting has now become very location based. Ideally looking for something 8-10 miles away through very heavy traffic. I'll save the country lanes for the long weekend rides.
  • Competition really seems to hot up after 6pm; I usually finish work at 3pm- the only scalps taken by me are kids on BMXs and students on pashleys :( I've no idea what my form is really like.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • @AndyOgy - Looks like your hooked now! It's certainly more fun when you have other cyclists! My longest work commute is usually my dullest as I rarely see any competition. On the flip side tho the riders I do find tend to be more serious riders and provide a much more satisfying challenge. As with most things quantity doesn't correlate well to quality when it comes to city cyclists :-P
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I had a dreadful hungover grind home, barely topped 20mph.

Must not drink on a school night. :shock:

I'm thinking about switching to a 16t sprocket for next week...
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Was really feeling it in the old legs this morning, but decided to ride in anyway, and picked up a scalp! A roadie, no less!

I'm ignoring the guy pootling along in jeans on a supermarket full-sus, and the lady on the shopper bike (on the pavement :x ). I don't think they're really "honourable" scalps.

I spied the skinny tyres of a road bike off in the distance and thought "right, I'm having you" turned up the cadence, and hauled past him on a clear road. To be fair to him he was struggling along in tracksuit bottoms and one of those big coats that you see football managers wearing, and the bike looked fresh out of the box, but I'm counting it.

Just to bring me back down to earth a gentleman on a distinctively retro looking MTB with extremely well defined calves scalped me good and proper a few minutes later. Oh well.
  • jonginge
    After my SCR tribulations earlier in the week I fitted the new old wheel last night and rode home. Felt awful. How can so much fitness be lost in just a couple of weeks?
    Came across a gaggle of 4 along NKR, a mixture of roadies and hybrids. Passed the first 3 with one fast hybrid vainly trying to grab my wheel. I pushed on to catch the lead roadie who had made a break for it and was 50yards up the road. Closed to 10 but just couldn't be ars%d to scalp for the rest of the NKR. Handed him his scalp on Col de Putney bridge :) It was all a bit more difficult than it used to be :(
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Embankment (well the short stretch I covered) was pathetic this morning. I had a short dash from Albert Bridge to Lambeth Bridge, passed 20 people (mainly hivizbryds) but scalped two roadies who didn't even try and put up a fight.*

*probably just as well because I'm completely shattered atm.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Bleh.

Went out for a curry last night, which was distinctly average. Followed by a trip to a real ale pub which, like last weekend, had a beer festival on. Unlike last weekend, they were going down easily, helped along by the pub quiz.

Feeling quite tender this morning. At least I was numb to the headwind. I don't know if I got any scalps, or if I was scalped. For all I know I probably rode into the back of a parked car.

Bleh.
  • itboffin
    JonGinge wrote:
    After my SCR tribulations earlier in the week I fitted the new old wheel last night and rode home. Felt awful. How can so much fitness be lost in just a couple of weeks?
    Came across a gaggle of 4 along NKR, a mixture of roadies and hybrids. Passed the first 3 with one fast hybrid vainly trying to grab my wheel. I pushed on to catch the lead roadie who had made a break for it and was 50yards up the road. Closed to 10 but just couldn't be ars%d to scalp for the rest of the NKR. Handed him his scalp on Col de Putney bridge :) It was all a bit more difficult than it used to be :(

Use the power of the shoes jon, the force is strong in this one!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    last night there was a glut of scalps which I duly collected 2 SS'ers on tower bridge and 1 fixed and 2 roadies towards lewisham... lucky as once I got to catford my energy levels went through the floor and I was rubbish I think ITBoffin on his pink trike could have taken me, luckily I got away with it as the roads were dead

brompton today, one tourer and one hybrid duly dispatched
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    I would like to point out that these stories of snow at this years HOTA may have been TRUE, look at the state of the road :shock:

3312965503_2755679590.jpg
  • jonginge
    Meh. Doctored photo. Your breath's not steaming. :P
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides