Silly commuting racing

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    And i'm out of the game.
    Rear wheel failure this morning. The rim wall on the drive side crumpled as I was approaching Vauxhall X resulting in a blowout. It's game over for that wheel.

Big up to the embankment peloton, though. A lot asked if I was OK when I was assessing damage at the lights, including the incomparable CJ. (The insulation tape bodge didn't work - blowout on inflation - so rode very slowly on the knackered rim, new tyre was needed anyway)

3305516239_a310eb7f29.jpg
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Wow. That's proper serious bad.

Can you get a cheapie wheel made up during the day?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Blimey! What could cause that?

Glad it didn't take you down with it!
  • jonginge
    I've got a spare rear aksium which I'll press into commute service. At least they have wear indicators on the rims ;)
    Still, I'll have to get a new chain and a new tyre. Bang, literally, goes the no spending diktat :(
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Last night riding home I had a bit of a lung workout. And found out that there's still a lot of snot in my system.

Big gaggle of riders at VB lights. I pull away and get to the front fairly quickly, giving a big secondary push at around 32k to get up to 40k. We approach St George's Sq, and a van moves to the right to turn into the Sq. I slow to ease through on the left with the traffic, and a roadie comes flying into my vision on the right, lifting his rear wheel he's braking so hard to avoid stacking into the back of the van.

I've got the run of the traffic, but I know he'll be back. We're heading to a red before the road opens out, so I'm not pushing hard; then about 60 yards out the red pings to green. There's only one thing to do now: light up the afterburners.

Loonie roadie has the easier job: he gets to reel me in in his own sweet time. As we're passing opposite the power station I'm looking for shadows, but the street lights are out, so I'm half blind. I think from the car headlights I have a tail - sure enough, after a while he's confirmed.

Now by this point my phlegm infested lungs are beginning to whine a bit. We're through the lights and under the railway bridge. He's not making a move, so maybe he's running on fumes as well. The light at CB is red, so I ease off on the slight rise to it. Still no attack. Phew. I do my usual pulling off to go over CB, standing and stamping to make a run for the middle of the bridge, just in case he's still there. But he's not.

The legs are back, but the cv fitness is lagging. Need to sort that fast.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    Blimey! What could cause that?

Glad it didn't take you down with it!
    Ta. :)
    It's just an old* rim that gets a lot of commute battering and the braking surface was probably getting a bit thin in places.

* 2.5 years old! Why I oughta, back in the day, rims used to last years. etc etc
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Bad luck JG - I really think TFL should cough up for a SCR wheel fund. I've destroyed two Mavic open pros hitting potholes :(

As for LiT hitting 25 mph - don't you have a recovery programme to adhere to???
  • Bad luck JG - I really think TFL should cough up for a SCR wheel fund. I've destroyed two Mavic open pros hitting potholes :(

As for LiT hitting 25 mph - don't you have a recovery programme to adhere to???

I've decided the recovery part is over and I'm now in the rebuilding strength and fitness part. I am quite chuffed - my top speed (reset the cadence comp for 2009) is now at 25.7, and that on a 46/18!

Spinning is improving...
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    JonGinge wrote:
    And i'm out of the game.
    Rear wheel failure this morning. The rim wall on the drive side crumpled as I was approaching Vauxhall X resulting in a blowout. It's game over for that wheel.

Big up to the embankment peloton, though. A lot asked if I was OK when I was assessing damage at the lights, including the incomparable CJ. (The insulation tape bodge didn't work - blowout on inflation - so rode very slowly on the knackered rim, new tyre was needed anyway)

Saw you guys at the lights, sorry I didn't stop and check you were OK but looked like you already had a support crew with you and I'm a mechanical numpty.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    And i'm out of the game.

Yeah, fair play, the roadie behind me asked if JG was ok too. It was a proper blown rim.

Bad luck about the tape. :( Makes you wonder if bike shops should do a rent-a-wheel service for the day if you supply suitable security.

Christophe - what are you riding? Did you perservere with the Open Pros? I've blown one of those and irreparably knackered an Open Sport rim. Am considering the Aksiums.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    W1 wrote:
    I'm a mechanical numpty.

He already had one of those in attendance! He might as well have had a performing chimp come along with tape. All I could say was, "Ooo, yeah, that's bad." :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    W1 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    And i'm out of the game.

Saw you guys at the lights, sorry I didn't stop and check you were OK but looked like you already had a support crew with you and I'm a mechanical numpty.
    No problemo. It's often a split-second decision whether to ask or not. I generally ask if someone's on their own and looking confused/distraught and don't if everything looks well in hand.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I'm a mechanical numpty.

He already had one of those in attendance! He might as well have had a performing chimp come along with tape. All I could say was, "Ooo, yeah, that's bad." :lol:
    Well, the tape idea might have worked. Now, if it had been duct tape... ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp wrote:
    Christophe - what are you riding? Did you perservere with the Open Pros? I've blown one of those and irreparably knackered an Open Sport rim. Am considering the Aksiums.

Given up on Mavics. The road bike now has Fulcrum Racing 3s and Halo Aerorages on the Pearson. No problems to report with either, they're pretty bombproof as far as I can tell. The Halos roll really well, are brilliant value but mine are white so need to be cleaned every day in the winter :( The Aksiums generally get good reviews though.
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I'm a mechanical numpty.

:idea: :) I think I may add duct tape to the list of Bits and Bobs in my backpack.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

Given up on Mavics.

Hmm. A mate recently told me to stay clear of Mavics too.

Food for thought. Cheers.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    JonGinge wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    And i'm out of the game.

No problemo. It's often a split-second decision whether to ask or not. I generally ask if someone's on their own and looking confused/distraught and don't if everything looks well in hand.

Yep, that's sort of what I thought. Tough luck though.

In other SCR news I had a cracking ride in today pacing with three or four guys all the way from the Col through to the City - I like to think I was generally quicker on the straights but unlucky in my "traffic decisions". A chap on a white roadie came barging through the set of lights 500 yards before the blackfiars underpass. I hate it when people do that, as they are often slow on the take off and you have to then put yourself in danger to re-pass them after each red light. Anyway he popped accross the stop line and then crawled off when the lights changed. Obviously, to teach him a lesson about waiting in line if you're going to be slow I raced alongside him....only for him to up the ante and pull ahead! Saw 28 on the clock, so chappeau for the speed mate if not for the manners.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I'm a mechanical numpty.

:idea: :) I think I may add duct tape to the list of Bits and Bobs in my backpack.

Duct tape is like the force - it has a dark side and holds the universe together :D
  • cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I'm a mechanical numpty.

Duct tape is like the force - it has a dark side and holds the universe together :D

Like it!

An engineer friend has the following on his wall:

'If you can't fix it with gaffer tape, you aren't using enough.'
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JonGinge wrote:
    And i'm out of the game.

3305516239_a310eb7f29.jpg

Was that on the old hack?

Would have been a great op for you to practice RIM racing :lol:

Now where is that youtube clip when you need it :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:

How can RIM race if you are short of a rim? :P
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I'm a mechanical numpty.

Like it!

An engineer friend has the following on his wall:

'If you can't fix it with gaffer tape, you aren't using enough.'

I might add a warning to that, should you choose to gaffer tape a colleague entire body - DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT do the head :shock:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

How can RIM race if you are short of a rim? :P
    I tried. Was keeping up with some of the slower people along v. embankment. ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I'm a mechanical numpty.

Don't forget Blu-Tak, which can be used to fix anything. Apparently NASA invented it to plug holes in space-ships, so a bloke down the pub told me.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Sorry I betrayed you guys for the road forum, but if any of you have tips on how long it'll take before I can get back on a bike with a cracked rib, please post them on:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12609181
  • jonginge
    Road forum, pah. Depends how much pain you are willing to endure. 2-3weeks for the bones to knit a bit, after that it's several weeks of stabbing pains when hauling on the bars.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    biondino wrote:
    Sorry I betrayed you guys for the road forum, but if any of you have tips on how long it'll take before I can get back on a bike with a cracked rib, please post them on:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12609181

Not sure but guess what i'm having for dinner tonight...?

ribs mmmmm :lol:

it's true, two full racks of BBQ slow cooked ribs AGAIN mmmmm
  • Sorry to read about your troubles JG, doesn't sound like fun!

I thought my luck as in today after spotting a roadie on the way home! Unfortunately he wasn't heading the same way as me..........shame as I was feeling very fresh having only set off about 1/2 mile ago and could have done with a race! Hoohumm :-( Had to make do with racing the usual bout of lunatics and dodging blind schoolkids up by the bus station :-(
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Well I had a decent run home, one technical scalp but not a moral victory as the guy looked to be about a million years old in knackered old tights on a tourer from the dark ages.

Had a chat with a surprisingly fast guy on a hybrid about a bloke in front at the light's cyclist's bum - it's like a builder's bum but on a bike. Then clearly I skinned them both alive and shot off into the distance. Well, the next set of lights anyway!
  • Had a monster weekend training which left me in a seriously knacked state for yesterday's commute. Promised myselft that I'd twiddle the pedals in the morning through Hyde park and watch everyone pull away. Fortunately to my enormous relief, no attempted scalpings and my record remains intact.

Got cut up by an idiot on a scooter turning left from the right hand lane. Wasn't wearing a headlight that resmebles a camera which normally prevents that sort of thing.

Commute home was OK until the 18 mile grovel from Swindon towards Cirencester. Am getting paranoid now everytime I ride in town.
    One can never have too many bikes, although the missus draws the line at a turbo in the living room. http://commutebybike.wordpress.com/