Silly commuting racing

Comments

• I think we need to get Boris on the case. These babies would be perfect for the London Bike scheme. Pink ones for girls and blue ones for the boys.

All quiet on the Western front this morning and arrived at the office full of Friday joie de vivre. As I returned from the showers and walked towards my desk, over 100 metres from the lifts, I realised that two policemen were there, one is sitting at my desk and the other looking over his shoulder. A small group of people were standing silently in the gangway. At this stage I didn’t see the paramedics, who were on the floor hidden from view, tending to one of my colleagues, who had collapsed and was unconscious. Apparently, he had a pretty horrendous journey in on the tube – it was overcrowded and broke down briefly. He’s a nice guy, I would say late 30s, likes his beer, fags and burgers. He’s OK and they’ll be keeping him in overnight for tests, but I guess his life’s just changed. All in all a sobering start to the day.

What I did notice was the number of emergency service people that attended, and I’m curious. Why did we need two police officers and three paramedics? Last night on the way home there was an accident involving two cars which caused the closure of Chiswick High Road. I arrived some time later and spoke to an onlooker who said there were no passengers in either car. The roof had been removed from one and the driver taken to hospital, but there were still three or four ambulances, four fire engines and at least six police cars at the scene. Nothing left to chance, clearly.

Now I’m just hoping that the saying “things come in threes” is an old wives’ tale. Really, I need a beer.
  • steve-m
    steve-m Posts: 106
    Congrats Lit - on the downside Mrs JW has seen piccies of your cruiser and wants one - and I have to ride in public with her on occasion :oops:

I heartily support Mrs JW in her wish to own a cruiser. Chain reaction cycles is the place to go.

I was considering getting one of these... mostly for the comedy value.

28865.jpg

Needs one of these on the front 41JKEXF577L._SS500_.jpg
    Fixed, commute: Langster 08, FCN6
    Road : Aravis (byercycles) Shimano 105 triple
    Hybrid: Trek 7.2 FX, unused / unloved
  • When I did the Freewheel ride the first year and did the group led ride upto the Clapham Hub a Chinese guy brought along a stretch cruiser bike. He was doing quite well until we had to dismount to carry our bikes down some stairs (thanks to the round the houses route chosen by the group leader). It was a rather impressive balancing act as he couldn't just sling it over his shoulder like most other people :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I once had to stop a nasty little but adult scrote from beating up a teenager. As there were several other nasty little scrotes watching I phoned 999 and explained and asked for emergency help. Despite the police station being about 1km away, it took twenty minutes, and then a van full of about 12 police turned up acting all brave and hard. F@ckers.
    Dan
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Congrats Lit - on the downside Mrs JW has seen piccies of your cruiser and wants one - and I have to ride in public with her on occasion :oops:

I heartily support Mrs JW in her wish to own a cruiser. Chain reaction cycles is the place to go.

28865.jpg

Thanks a lot LiT - now I'm going to have to make sure she doesn't see this thread for at least a couple of days - PINK RIMS - ye gods :shock: Thats one in the eye for jash
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    2nd week ommuting on the Townsend now over, I cant get agreement on the Dawes (I hate it) so its up for sale :( Im gonna loose out big time, Such is life, Once gona I will go back to decent MTB commuting, worth trying but didnt work out, at least the Townsend is giving me one hell of a workout
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Sorry the hear about that Gaz what's wrong with the bike, perhaps we can help.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU

28865.jpg

Thanks a lot LiT - now I'm going to have to make sure she doesn't see this thread for at least a couple of days - PINK RIMS - ye gods :shock: Thats one in the eye for jash

Mrs JW has been on the Chain Reaction site and decided that this is the bike for her :roll:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Larg ... =10526.jpg
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922

Mrs JW has been on the Chain Reaction site and decided that this is the bike for her :roll:

Get his n hers, you'll get a discount no doubt and the pi$$ taken when you admit your guilt :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin wrote:
    either that or you don't like your brother :P

ITB : That got me in bother.................sitting here with nipper on lap, she's ripping her cd collection onto i-Tunes on right monitor and I am sifting thro bike-radar et al on the left monitor and she says,

"why don't you like your brother :shock: ! What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conversation ensues about not believing everything you read on the tinternet!!!!!!!!

Note to self........................late night browsing with muchos vino, not good.

CJ : how does tired legs and PB compute or did I miss read something?
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • Jay dubbleU
    redvee wrote:

Get his n hers, you'll get a discount no doubt and the pi$$ taken when you admit your guilt :lol:

There is no his - I would rather gnaw my own leg off than be seen on that :oops: :oops:
  • Oh god, it must be contagious...........Mrs BJUK saw the ones Mrs JW was looking at and likes this one:

10526-3.jpg

My eyes physically start to hurt and I feel nauseous if I look at that particular model too long, the paint job is just fair to bright!

My eldest was also very impressed by the original one and I think now has her heart set on that............I'm doomed!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Ah every girl loves those bikes. I sure did.

It's a great bike for starting to commute, you're very upright, you can see around you and over things, they're pretty hard work and very heavy (I'm not exactly a waif and I can only carry it for 100 yards) so you build up good fitness, and before you know it you'll be aware that you can't get it going fast enough, and buy a FG/SS!!

How do I know? Well, that's what I did of course!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Gah! Failed bunny hop = somersault = banged knee and cracked rib. Bugger!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    LiTs on a late night dash to the bottle shop :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MFg66qy53c
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    biondino wrote:
    Doo-ood, that's gnarly.

What were you trying to jump?
    Ribs take 6-8 weeks to fix (well, to stop twinging), off the bike for a couple while they knit. I've cracked a few...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    biondino wrote:

Ouch! are you okay?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Oh blondie... your mad skillz have let you down. Heal up!

Duffy = bike thief. :twisted:
  • biondino
    itboffin wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Ouch! are you okay?

I'm sure I will be. My knee is getting a bit sore and is making odd creaking noises when I go upstairs but I'm pretty sure it's not damaged beyond a bit of bruising and a few cuts. The rib, well, it's more a quality of life thing for a few weeks really. Am sure I'll get heartily sick of it pretty quickly. And it might keep me off the bike for a while, which is sucky.

Thanks for asking :)
  • biondino
    And for anyone who's counting, I didn't hit my head during the accident as far as I am aware. I was wearing a helmet.
  • itboffin
    biondino wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Ouch! are you okay?

I'm sure I will be. My knee is getting a bit sore and is making odd creaking noises when I go upstairs but I'm pretty sure it's not damaged beyond a bit of bruising and a few cuts. The rib, well, it's more a quality of life thing for a few weeks really. Am sure I'll get heartily sick of it pretty quickly. And it might keep me off the bike for a while, which is sucky.

Thanks for asking :)

Well glad to hear you're in one piece, rest up and get well soon. At this rate will there be any uninjured SCR'ers left by the summer :roll:

Which bike were you on? is it damaged?

I watched my wife attempt a bunny hop a couple of summers ago, at the time I wasn't actually sure what she was trying to do as the only thing that moved was her body, the bike duly hit the step and both went down into a large bush of stinging nettles. :shock: :lol:

After recovering from an almost fatal fit of tear inducing laughter I help her out of the bush, she could barely ride home due to laughing so much.
  • biondino
    I was on the Focus. The right shifter took most of the hit (but still works fine, now that I've put it back in position) and there's a wee bit of superficial damage to edges but that just makes a bike cooler :) Pretty sure there's no frame damage though I should probably get it checked out since we all now carbon fibre is in a constant state of about-to-shatter :)
  • biondino wrote:

ooooh ow! hope it all patches up quickly!
  • @BD - Glad to here your OK, sounds like it could have been quite nasty! You still gonna be OK for the Marlborough Loop ride in a fortnight?

@ITB - You meanie :-) I guess at least she sore the funny side to ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    BD - nasty! Make sure you rest up properly, so it all heals properly.

On other matters, Friday night's commute home was very lively. Was at the lights at the HoP when two fixers rolled up, one of them the London RC chap. The other was one with a chain tensioner by the looks of it. He turned out to be mighty quick - he was clearly trying - sprinting away from the lights and then just belting it in general, for example - but still quick enough to drop London RC :shock: .

I gave him a tow between Chelsea and Albert Bridges and there was some see-sawing between me, him and London RC chap until we picked up another FG/SSer on the NKR. He tucked in behind the SSer, with me about 15 yards back along the LRR. London RC chap turned off before Queen's Ride, with the SSer on a real mission. I came up on the outside and thought about overtaking, but I was at my liimit while being on the tops of the bars. If I was going to overtake, I'd had to have got on the hoods or drops. The SSer was seriously going for it, with the recent FG addition doing everything to hang on, so, with the roundadbout fast approaching, decided it would be unwise to try to go for the overtake, so I eased off.

We both went through Sheen and had to say "chapeau" as he turned off for Mortlake. Had the look of a racer about him. He tired on the stretches along Embankment, possiby unable to spin any faster, but he was flippin' quick. Give him some gears and he'd have been over the horizon in no time at all. I think it would be wrong to distinguish between him trying and me being on the tops in this case. I'd say he scalped me good and proper.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    biondino wrote:

Sympathy :(:(
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Ouch blondie... hope you're ok.... what were you trying to jump?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    Well, I was basically trying to combine RLJing AND pavement riding! There was a temporary light cos of roadworks on Priory Lane (leading to Richmond Park) so I decided to ride on the cycle lane on the pavement. To get onto the cycle lane, I need to jump onto the kerb, but maybe the 45 degree angle wasn't a good idea. Anyway, a combination of pedal power, tyre bounce (damn my efficiency at pumping up my tyres before the ride) and god knows what else made the back end shoot up into the air and I basically somersaulted onto my back with the bike falling on top of me. I think the saddle or wheel landed plum on my ribs. Gah.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Less of a bunny hop - more of a bucking bronco - ribs are painful - I've cracked mine a few times in various insane activities - problem is you have to keep breathing

RLJ eh! - karma ? :twisted:
  • biondino
    Except I didn't RLJ, that was the point! Maybe I should start :)