Silly commuting racing

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    You guys are telling me you've never ridden so hard you grit your teeth, your eyes water and a slight growl carries you through the pain barrier and into your second wind?

I may be fat, ugly, slower than you all and on a rubbish soft spongy bike.

BUT

You are all very ghey!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You guys are telling me you've never ridden so hard you grit your teeth, your eyes water and a slight growl carries you through the pain barrier and into your second wind?

BUT

You are all very ghey!

There was no mention of "slight" in your OP, which suggested that you growled like a pitbull that's taken exception to being repeatedly kicked in the nads.

My eyes often water. But they're quite sensitive to the cold air. :P
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Clever Pun wrote:
    brompton this morning, binned a fixed chap... awesome.

Nothing at all last night, it was very quiet

CP - have you seen that chap with The Fear again? :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    DonDaddyD wrote:

BUT

You are all very ghey!

My eyes water but thats because I wear ordinary glasses instead of wrap arounds - usually the expression 'Oh sh*t I'm going to die' gets me through the pain barrier - can't say I've ever felt the need to growl whilst on a bike except at dogs on cycle tracks but the that's a language thing 8)

I may be ghey but at least I'm not a tart :twisted:
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    !

Only when chasing Dick Dastardly. But that's more of a Mutley momment.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    brompton this morning, binned a fixed chap... awesome.

Nothing at all last night, it was very quiet

CP - have you seen that chap with The Fear again? :lol:

Not recently... I was following a fast mtb'er today who kept checking I was there though. Full lycra on a mtb... odd

DDD why growl you're wasting energy... channel that into your pistons, you'll get up that hill without whimpering before you know :wink:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Just a quick thought, having noticed our page count is creeping close to 6 centuries.........

What are the chances that the first post on page 600 is from GregT?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    edited February 2009
    Where is Greg T?

I miss him :cry:

Others are trying to compensate but lets face it, the site just isn't as funny without me.

Without Greg the site is becoming a ranty, high moral place of sensibilities where the perdantics rule... :cry::cry::cry:

I'm going to start a bring back Greg T fan club!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Where is Greg T?

I suspect he may be under the thumb... :shock:
  • cjcp
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Where is Greg T?

I suspect he may be under the thumb... :shock:

He may just be continually drunk.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Where is Greg T?

Others are trying to compensate but lets face it, the site just isn't as funny without me.

Without Greg the site is becoming a ranty, high moral place of sensibilities where the perdantics rule... :cry::cry::cry:

He's in Australia.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Where is Greg T?

He's in Australia.

Drunk in Australia?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    Brilliant.

After 2 weeks off the bike (the icy/snow week plus a week in France) I hit the commute in this morning and completely dominated a fellow commuter as I went up the main hill on my route, which felt so good I added an extra hill in.

Excitement slightly tempered by the discovery that my DBH tights are literally falling to bits after 2 months. Not impressed.

Now to get back on track for 2500 commuting km this year.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Where is Greg T?

He's in Australia.

Drunk in Australia?

Under the thumb in Australia?
  • cjcp
    [Tim] wrote:
    Brilliant.

After 2 weeks off the bike (the icy/snow week plus a week in France) I hit the commute in this morning and completely dominated a fellow commuter as I went up the main hill on my route, which felt so good I added an extra hill in.

Excitement slightly tempered by the discovery that my DBH tights are literally falling to bits after 2 months. Not impressed.

A very timely post. That rules out the DHB tights. I don't exactly go easy on clothes.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Drunk and under the thumb, I expect.

Well, we can but hope.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I was growling for most of the journey (does anyone else do that?)

Um, well, er, not really. :shock:

+1.

BJUK, you are barred from SCR for 1 (one) week for that horrendous joke. :wink:

It would be quite odd to be scalped by a growling man, I for one would think twice about retrieving my scalp from said man.

What even more so than a burd on a beach cruiser mumbling to herself :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Can we all just agree, once and for all, that fixies come below roadies in the FCN system? Yes, there are fast fixies (and shame on us if one beats us), but most of the time us roadies know with certainty taht all we need to do is hit 24mph for a couple of hundred yards and we'll earn a scalp. That doesn't sound like a triumph to me.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Where is Greg T?

Actually that should read:

"where the pedants rule."

Sorry. :oops:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    biondino wrote:
    Can we all just agree, once and for all, that fixies come below roadies in the FCN system? Yes, there are fast fixies (and shame on us if one beats us), but most of the time us roadies know with certainty taht all we need to do is hit 24mph for a couple of hundred yards and we'll earn a scalp. That doesn't sound like a triumph to me.

Come on then Blondie. 24mph indeed.

*rolls up trouser leg.
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:

I'm inclined to agree. Or at least have a seperate category for fakengers (which would encompass lycra clad SS riders with a crap gear inch). Yesterday I scalped a Charge Plug and a Bowery both were clearly fakengers spinning out long before my gear inches started producing a significant amount of resistance. I almost dropped from the 50 to make it more challenging.
    Food Chain number = 4

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    The last known sighting of GT was the rear of his canoe disappearing over the horizon.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    cjcp wrote:
    [Tim] wrote:
    Brilliant.

A very timely post. That rules out the DHB tights. I don't exactly go easy on clothes.

mine fell apart at 2 months as well, as did a mate's. send them back to Wiggle they will refund.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    biondino wrote:

I'm inclined to agree. Or at least have a seperate category for fakengers (which would encompass lycra clad SS riders with a crap gear inch). Yesterday I scalped a Charge Plug and a Bowery both were clearly fakengers spinning out long before my gear inches started producing a significant amount of resistance. I almost dropped from the 50 to make it more challenging.

well indeed even when i'm out and about on big green which weighs a ton has a basket etc you get the odd fankengers who are slower by some margin, get some seriously quick SS/FG as well but there are a fair amount that aren't
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Odd. Been commuting in dhb bibs/tights since last spring and they're still good, apart from a bit of bobbling (grr cateye light brackets) and the reflective logo peeling off one set.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DDD: Please DON'T start a GregT fanclub. He already has an over inflated ego having won the SCR of the Year award, if he gets wind of a fan club he'll need to hitch a trailer up to his SS just to drag his ego along with him!

BD/DDD: I think we have gone over this "SS should be above roadies" before. I appreciate that on paper and generally speaking any roadie on here could probably spank 95% of the SS/FG riders out there just because we have the luxury of an additional 20+ gears, we can start off easier then them and build up to a crescendo of awesome and GI that leaves them quivering in our wake.
    The argument was that it was the whole bravado thing of trying to race on what is effectively a lesser machine and that takes some kahunas. I fast SS/FG rider is a wonderful thing to behold and as i'm sure our resident SS riders will attest I should imagine that it takes a healthy RPM, a good GI and a superb pedalling technique to be able to scalp a roadie.

Besides we can't move the goalposts again, the pitch is in a terrible condition from when we pi55ed about with them originally!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    camerone wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

mine fell apart at 2 months as well, as did a mate's. send them back to Wiggle they will refund.

Think I may have too, they seemed a bit weak initially but now stitching has come apart in ~ 6 places plus the ankle zips keep popping open.
  • DonDaddyD
    DDD: Please DON'T start a GregT fanclub. He already has an over inflated ego having won the SCR of the Year award, if he gets wind of a fan club he'll need to hitch a trailer up to his SS just to drag his ego along with him!

Too late I miss my daily injection of Greg T wit so I made a fan club here:

GregT Fan Club
    Food Chain number = 4

• [Tim] wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Think I may have too, they seemed a bit weak initially but now stitching has come apart in ~ 6 places plus the ankle zips keep popping open.

Endura bib tights are the dogs. Mine are in their third winter, only get washed at the weekend, and work brilliantly. The only thing I dislike is the adjustable straps, but I believe the new ones don't have these. I have newish DHB winter gloves, bib shorts and a base layer, and think their stuff is good value. Not sure that I'd get any of it again though.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DDD: Please DON'T start a GregT fanclub. He already has an over inflated ego having won the SCR of the Year award, if he gets wind of a fan club he'll need to hitch a trailer up to his SS just to drag his ego along with him!

Too late I miss my daily injection of Greg T pork sword so I made a fan club here:

GregT Fan Club

:shock: