Silly commuting racing

Comments

• martinc wrote:
    back on the bike after 2 weeks off due to snow and sickness.

seem to have lost all my fitness and doubled in weight. regularly scalped yesterday and today, at least they were on decent machines though - a cervelo at battersea bridge yesterday and a pair of PlanetX carbons on the embankment today.

think i need to buy a Pashley women's shopper bike so my FCN matches my ability. :oops:

Hmm, could that have been you G66?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • martinc wrote:

seem to have lost all my fitness and doubled in weight. regularly scalped yesterday and today, at least they were on decent machines though - a cervelo at battersea bridge yesterday and a pair of PlanetX carbons on the embankment today.

think i need to buy a Pashley women's shopper bike so my FCN matches my ability. :oops:

Oddly, no. I don't get as far along as BB (unless I'm spoiling for a fight).

I've seen a red Soloist Carbon and another matt black alu Soloist on the Embankment from time to time. Perhaps it was one of them.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg66 wrote:
    martinc wrote:

Oddly, no. I don't get as far along as BB (unless I'm spoiling for a fight).

I've seen a red Soloist Carbon and another matt black alu Soloist on the Embankment from time to time. Perhaps it was one of them.

Were either of them broken?

I was listening to Phil White on the ToC last night, he correctly tipped Thor for the stage win. Never was a rider so aptly named...
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Weird - last night I was on fire and scalped a lycra roadie twice on the way from Brixton to Streatham (he RLJ'd). This morning I was painfully slow and had nothing in my legs. :?
  • My excesses last night made me even slower than usual cycling in on the cruiser. Damn it all.

However I wobbeld home in good time last night!
  • il_principe
    My excesses last night made me even slower than usual cycling in on the cruiser. Damn it all.

Were you wobbling in time to any music? I think every member of SCR should have their own theme tune.
  • My excesses last night made me even slower than usual cycling in on the cruiser. Damn it all.

Were you wobbling in time to any music? I think every member of SCR should have their own theme tune.

Show me the way to go home... I'm tired and I want to go to bed... :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sewinman wrote:
    Weird - last night I was on fire and scalped a lycra roadie twice on the way from Brixton to Streatham (he RLJ'd). This morning I was painfully slow and had nothing in my legs. :?

You're not alone: Bradley Wiggins talks about this is in book (although I imagine his version of "nothing in the legs" would still leave parts of Embankment ablaze).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    cjcp wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

You're not alone: Bradley Wiggins talks about this is in book (although I imagine his version of "nothing in the legs" would still leave parts of Embankment ablaze).

+1....I often look at Wiggins and feel a lot of empathy.
  • Not strictly racing in the context you all use, but on my journey back home last on my first day's commuting I thought I'd see how I faired against my other half (her using the car).

This then coincided with my first cycling epiphany as there were some temporary traffic lights up causing a massive queue. I merrily filtered through all of it with a smile on my face while she got stuck!

I can see myself becoming quite fond of this cycling lark!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I raced my parents (them in their car) the three miles from their house to mine once and was feeling very pleased I'd manage to beat them. It was only after washing, getting changed and doing the dishes that I started wondering if they'd had an accident! Nope, it just took them over 10 minutes longer to get there (Saturday lunchtime, I think). Very satisfying.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Nothings overtaken me yet this year......Owwwww!!! my legs!!!!!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    a Pashley women's shopper

I was going to ask - would it be possible to custom-make a 15lb Pashley woman's chopper if money were no object, chainguard, basket and all?
  • biondino wrote:
    a Pashley women's shopper

I was going to ask - would it be possible to custom-make a 15lb Pashley woman's chopper if money were no object, chainguard, basket and all?

Not a pashley, but I have a Sprick shopper which has a chain guard, basket, skirt guard, all added by me.

Is that what you meant?
  • cjcp
    Good fun tonight. Serial RLJer. :roll:

Then he tried to draft. :roll: Had had enough of that this week already, so put the hammer down and rode him off the wheel. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    The last few days I'd been wondering where all the cyclists round here have gone. I found them tonight - I went the "scenic" way home along the river and found them all there. Absolutely loads of them! Still no scalps though - they were all going the opposite way. Damnit.

And why have I had no power in my legs this week. I was hauling myself along the flat roads today as if they were 10% hills. There was a headwind but I couldn't blame that - I thought a few laps of Sefton Park would loosen my legs up but it had no effect other than to depress me, especially when it came to the little thing that hardly deserves to be called a hill.

This winter has been seriously unkind to my bike. Gave the chain a few drops of oil when I got home, and the rear hub and/or freewheel were making a horrible noise.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    cjcp wrote:
    Good fun tonight. Serial RLJer. :roll:

Then he tried to draft. :roll: Had had enough of that this week already, so put the hammer down and rode him off the wheel. :twisted:

+1 8)
  • cjcp
    It's a sweet feeling, isn't it? It must leave them in a state of despair when they can't respond. :twisted: (That's how I feel when I someone whizzes past me and I can't respond, and it's happened often enough! :P )
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    @ cj - Oh Yes!

Picked up a chunk of glass in my front tyre this am - could hear something going click - stoped and checked the front wheel and found a lump sticking out - it had gone through the rubber but not through the kevlar backing - thanks Schwalbe :)

Yeah though I ride through the valley of death I will fear no evil for I have Scwalbe Marathons :D:D
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The Fakengers are back thus I have to restart my war against the SS/FG crew. On the way home a Charge Plug with a skater (vans and all) on top. I let him keep up with me and then at the Balham - Tooting drag strip (along with a guy on a Marin and another older wider guy with GPS Palm top do-hickey - looked like a proper messeger) I should him what the 'Power of D' really looks like. My heart nearly exploded in my chest but by golly it was fun.

This Morning

The aggression was high, I was growling for most of the journey (does anyone else do that?) I took an double dose of MTFU pills and rode like I hated myself because I hate my job and I hate everyone in it.

I got to work in 30mins. The irony.

What's more telling is I've managed to shave off a significant amount on my journey time simply by removing my cycle computer and removing psychological barriers like "Oooo I'm ghey, I can't get up that hill". Now I'm like "Gotta train hard, gotta catch that Prince". Also refining my riding technique (souplesse rules all I always knew I was a top tour rider in a fat-f*ck's body!) has helped a lot with regulating my stamina and ability to ride faster for longer (none of this relates to sprinting Jash so don't worry).

On the way, I scalped an Asian guy on a Mountain Bike (one for the Ethnicity thread) and a girl on a Marin (who was so pretty I couldn't help but wonder if she was wearing a Assos bib....). I then scalped another girl. I feel slightly misogynistic
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I was growling for most of the journey (does anyone else do that?)

I think dogs do on the way to the vet. :D:D

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Um, well, er, not really. :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Only when I'm feeling ruff ;-)

Thank you!! I'm here all week :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Only when I'm feeling ruff ;-)

Thank you!! I'm here all week :-D

Get out. Right now.

And take yer coat. :!:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

+1.

BJUK, you are barred from SCR for 1 (one) week for that horrendous joke. :wink:

It would be quite odd to be scalped by a growling man, I for one would think twice about retrieving my scalp from said man.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    brompton this morning, binned a fixed chap... awesome.

Nothing at all last night, it was very quiet
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Well, I'm feeling a bit better in the knowledge that last night's lack of energy and exhaustion (in bed and straight to sleep at 10 last night - very unusual for me) is just the office bug. Can't wait for it to pass though. I think I'll be partaking in some recovery at the weekend, oh and bike cleaning.
  • cjcp wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

+1.

It would be quite odd to be scalped by a growling man, I for one would think twice about retrieving my scalp from said man.

*sulks off screaming and shouting*

In all honesty I'm in my car for 2 more days and then commuting to a training course in some hotel in the local area next week so the chances of any prize scalps that I could claim are very limited........of course having said this now I'll probably find all of *insert pro cycling team* on a training run through Croydon and not be able to do a bean about it......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

+1.

In all honesty I'm in my car for 2 more days and then commuting to a training course in some hotel in the local area next week so the chances of any prize scalps that I could claim are very limited........of course having said this now I'll probably find all of *insert pro cycling team* on a training run through Croydon and not be able to do a bean about it......

And he's in a car. :shock:

*brandishes broom Out out out.
  • cjcp wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

+1.

And he's in a car. :shock:

*brandishes broom Out out out.

:D:D

*goes to angry mob cupboard to retrieve pitchforks and torches*

He's a witch! Burn him BURN HIM!