Silly commuting racing

Comments

• don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    He got excited at a set of lights between Colliers Wood and Wimbledon I scalped him on the 39ring - had been riding it all the way home for a change - and for good measure turned it up to the 50 and spun out on that! :evil:

2 things:

1:You scalped him in the 39 ring?

2: You rode home in the 39 ring? MTFU DDD, there are no hills on your commute worthy of the 39!

:D

You do realise that I'm considering taking you on with the 39 ring.

I like to punch above my weight... :twisted:

Truthfully I dream of rolling up on an Izoard or some such function of beauty and giving you a proper challenge.

Images of Jash and DDD duelling by throwing sharpened 39T chain-rings at each other :shock:

First blood wins...

:lol:
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Also today is my last day on my old, crap job, so I'm spreading my workload appropriately so I finish what I have to do by the end of the day. I had two colleagues, but one left last week and the other is off today, as is the boss. Which means lots of time on here :D

Trouble is, next week in the new job, I may not be able to get away with looking on here except for lunchtime. Better pay, more interesting work, better colleagues, better boss, but less BikeRadar. Every silver lining has a cloud :(:wink:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    l;ast night I was on the squadra and went through some sort of blizzard most of which was flicked up my @rse... which was so cold and numb when I got home

pista today and awesomness was duly laid down... binned a couple of roadies and then saw some bloke on something from planet x I think... he had london pheonix shorts on and sprinted from the lights like a cheetah... damn he was fast off the blocks... once up to speed I gained but couldn't match his acceleration even though he was standing up and sprinting massivly
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Very quiet coming in today - no scalps but at least the ice has gone - section where I use the cycle track covered in glass - I have a nasty feeling i may be due a visit from the PF
  • I've just taken another step up the taryness ladder.........my existing lid is in dire need of replacement as it has a split that run from a rear vent to the base :shock: I'd been meaning to replace it and now wifey has given me the go ahead to get it as a valentines gift (see how much she loves me!)

Imagine my delight when the last Wiggle newletter that dropped into my inbox contains a Giant Ares helmet discounted £20! So in a moment of utter tartyness I have ordered a helmet that will match my bike.........made by the same company and in a similar colour scheme :-)

I know fear that I'm only a few steps away from getting my glasses tineted a "strong shade of orange" :wink:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    I've just taken another step up the taryness ladder.........my existing lid is in dire need of replacement as it has a split that run from a rear vent to the base :shock: I'd been meaning to replace it and now wifey has given me the go ahead to get it as a valentines gift (see how much she loves me!)

Which one BJUK??
  • don_don wrote:
    I've just taken another step up the taryness ladder.........my existing lid is in dire need of replacement as it has a split that run from a rear vent to the base :shock: I'd been meaning to replace it and now wifey has given me the go ahead to get it as a valentines gift (see how much she loves me!)

Which one BJUK??

:lol::lol: The one I'll be sticking with, a divorce is to costly and besides I quite like my kids :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Brilliant! I've raced a few people around town with me on the bike and them in taxis or on the tube, I only lost once, to a canny black cab driver at about 11pm when the streets were empty...

It is good fun when you get the chance - my best effort was last year; our 10 year old's birthday party was quad biking with his mates over at East Molesey and there wasn't room for 2 adults in the car, so I was able to race them back afterwards. Its about 12 miles. Had a head start as 4 boys had to be rounded up, but arrived home as they were all getting out of the car. Were they impressed? No.
  • It's that time of week again.............Friday! And we all know what that means :-)
    Apologies for those who live and work somewhere else asides from London but is anybody considering heading to the usual watering hole this evening? I might be able to grab a swift couple if anyone else is around??
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • ... I arrived at the lights on Ealing Broadway to find my next door neighbour, who drives. We're 2 or 3 miles from home and there is only more set of lights. I decide to see if I can provide a practical demonstration of the benefits of commuting by bike. I'm away from the lights first but she's quickly past me and into Gordon Road, which has just been resurfaced, so I can just keep her in sight. There's no traffic to slow her down and as we get to West Ealing, I'm losing her, but make up ground at the next junction. On to Drayton Bridge Road and there's a half mile drag with a set of lights at the end. They're on red as I roll up to the front and there she is just as the lights go green. Almost home and no chance for her overtake as she has to slow down for the speed bumps. I've unlocked the house, put my bike away, and opened a beer while she's still trying to find a parking space... :)

Brilliant! I've raced a few people around town with me on the bike and them in taxis or on the tube, I only lost once, to a canny black cab driver at about 11pm when the streets were empty...

i raced a guy in a lambo through manchester he wasnt best pleased at losing hehe

that'll teach him for laughing when i asked him if he was going for it when we were sat it a set of lights
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    iain_j wrote:
    Also today is my last day on my old, crap job, so I'm spreading my workload appropriately so I finish what I have to do by the end of the day. I had two colleagues, but one left last week and the other is off today, as is the boss. Which means lots of time on here :D

Trouble is, next week in the new job, I may not be able to get away with looking on here except for lunchtime. Better pay, more interesting work, better colleagues, better boss, but less BikeRadar. Every silver lining has a cloud :(:wink:

Good luck with it all, Iain.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I can, in London tonight, but have plans to fettle with the Bowery and old commuter and play Lego Batman on the X-Box so not fussed either way!
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Thanks CJ :)

I think I may have "spread my workload" a bit too much - it's looking like I won't get it done by 4.30. Oh, shame. It's you lot's fault for posting so much today :lol:
  • It's that time of week again.............Friday! And we all know what that means :-)
    Apologies for those who live and work somewhere else asides from London but is anybody considering heading to the usual watering hole this evening? I might be able to grab a swift couple if anyone else is around??

Could do a couple of early door shandys before heading along to a friends' drinks.
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • Just had a phone call from the other half, seems the bug she has isn't letting up and she feels terrible so I'll have to skip drinks this evening (annoying having suggested them!) but as I'm now working up in town again next week I'll have to make more of an effort then!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5

Fraid not. I've been at home today with a stinkng headcold. Used the time to strip Bike 1 and drop the frame in a Sigma under the warranty process.

Quite sad now.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    No beers for me as I'm taking the missus out for dinner to avoid tomorrows gagworthy smoochfest
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • In that case, the Bowery's getting disassembled and the Lego Joker and his henchmen are getting a hiding! :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    It's that time of week again.............Friday! And we all know what that means :-)

Fraid not. I've been at home today with a stinkng headcold. Used the time to strip Bike 1 and drop the frame in a Sigma under the warranty process.

Quite sad now.

A couple of beers will cheer you up.

:twisted:

A stinking headcold prevents you from going to work, but doesn't prevent you from going to a bike shop. :P
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I can come now! But only for a few.........anyone else still attending??
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I almost forgot, on today's ride I scalped a barn owl in a straight drag race fair and square, it was sitting on the hedge to my left, took off just as I approached, I put the hammer down to catch up and then proceeded to cycle along side for nearly half a mile, passing and waiting for it to catch up before it eventually crossed the road and few away, odd that it wasn't spooked by being so close to me.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wooohooooooo made it home before dusk! Clearly that was earlier... it's dark now. And I'm getting better with this spinning lark. :D

And CJ, clearly whisky is the remedy for a head cold, not beer.
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Btw is there such a thing as re-scalping? I go nice and slow up to lights I know won't be changing for a bit, and some people wooooosh! in front. Then I shoot past them when it's time to go. Or is that unfair?

Also, my borrowed bike has a rear view mirror on the bars. I have been surreptitiously speeding up when people try to overtake. Sorry! :twisted:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    tardie wrote:
    Also, my borrowed bike has a rear view mirror on the bars. I have been surreptitiously speeding up when people try to overtake. Sorry! :twisted:

Is this pimped out Madone (which I saw linked to on the road board) your bike?

madone.jpg
  • biondino wrote:
    tardie wrote:

Is this pimped out Madone (which I saw linked to on the road board) your bike?

madone.jpg

I'm sorry, that is just sick.
  • That is both mildly hilarious and utterly bizarre! In a weird way, I like it...

EDIT: What's that white thing hanging off the handlebars?
  • itboffin
    That is both mildly hilarious and utterly bizarre! In a weird way, I like it...

A sick bag :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • That is both mildly hilarious and utterly bizarre! In a weird way, I like it...

Maybe its a copy of the original customer order form. Just in case.
  • Yaaaaaay the old commuter is officially back in business!

It's looking a little tired, but it all still works. In other news, back-pedal brakes are fun! I may commute on it next week for old times' sake...

I wonder what my FCN would be.... :D
  • itboffin
    What a bizarre range of bikes you'll have, beach cruiser, bowery, retro roadie and a viner, one extreme to the other.