Silly commuting racing

Comments

• don_don wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    iain_j wrote:
    I stabbed myself a few times on stray cable strands doing the brakes last night.

The worst mechanics injury going :cry:

I snipped a cable and one of the snipped-off cable strands went up my nose. Ouch!!
    My other bike's a Dawes.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    That's impressive :D
  • itboffin wrote:
    I took the same scalp dozens of times today :twisted:

However it was my wife :roll:

I did it to my husband last week, and he hates it! I wasn't allowed to go anywhere but in front of him after that - not difficult, he only rides just above walking pace. :lol:
    My other bike's a Dawes.
  • blackworx
    blackworx Posts: 123
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I got blocked off purposely by a bus and a van so that doesn't count.
    :D Annoying when these mobile roadblocks keep you from that scalp...
    Even more so when they prevent you from retrieving your own. I mean, how inconsiderate can they get?!?
    Trek XO1
    FCN4
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    blackworx wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I got blocked off purposely by a bus and a van so that doesn't count.
    :D Annoying when these mobile roadblocks keep you from that scalp...
    Even more so when they prevent you from retrieving your own. I mean, how inconsiderate can they get?!?

I was huffing and puffing and swearing, I couldn't believe it. Had I caught those guys the wind that hit them as I rode past would've hurt them so bad...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DDD are you saying you used nature as a weapon to aid your SCR objectives :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Well, that was an eventful commute tonight.

Firstly, my chain breaks shortly after leaving the office and, fortunately, just after I had exited the junction on the north side of London Bridge into Cannon Street. So I wheel the bike to Evans to buy a new link just in case (for whatever reason) the link for my road bike chain fails half way home.

Then, crossing over Battersea Bridge lights, a car turns into my path. I break hard, the back wheel goes up and I'm over the handlebars. (I very briefly thought I might be in with a chance of doing a front "endo" or whaever it's called, but my <cough> Christmas weight gain ensured I had a bit too much momentum for that.) Fortunately, the driver saw me in enough time to stop. Fair play to him, he looked pretty concerned and asked more than once if I was all right. There was also a very nice lady ped who kept asking me if I was ok and who pointed out that the batteries to one of lights had popped out. (Managed to retrieve them too :D and the light still works :D ).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp,

good news on the lights being ok :shock:

Let's hope the Gods have marked that one down on the stats sheet we all carry with us and they will ignore you for some time. (Makes small offering to Gods to ensure I have not opened my gob too soon)

Glad you are good spirits about it

DD
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • You went over the bars? Are you OK?

And if you are, how did you manage not to bite the road on landing? :shock:
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    edited January 2009
    Had a frustrating ride home in the rain from Marsfield yesterday. As usual there were a fair few bikes about (Maquarie Uni and a couple of CSIRO labs are out that way). I was overtaken a few times, but by FCN 4s or better, so that's OK. I picked off a couple of dudes on full-suss MTBs so ugly they made the hunchback from "300" look elegant, but they don't count as scalps 'cos it'd be like kicking a cripple's crutches away. :twisted:

The frustrating part was the two legitimate scalps (FCN 8s) I lined up on the spirit-crushing climb up from Lady Game Drive to Pacific Highway (incidentally, I think the "don't show pain" rule should be waived for this section, because everyone looks as if they're about to die). Each time I came up behind my target, he stopped and pulled over to let me pass. Does that count as a scalp, on the same principle as a dog rolling on its back to show submission to the pack leader? :wink:
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    cjcp wrote:
    Then, crossing over Battersea Bridge lights, a car turns into my path. I break hard, the back wheel goes up and I'm over the handlebars.
    Ow! :shock:
  • R34PER
    R34PER Posts: 193
    well, still with no job to commute to i have been sat all night with an application form for a sportive open in another window all night......its six months away, i have never done one before, i am currently really unfit (due to lack of commute) but i bought a road bike last week.......aaarrrrggghhhhhh.....apply or dont apply, that is the question! :?
  • cjcp
    You went over the bars? Are you OK?

Cheers, chaps.

Yep, I'm fine, thanks. I hit the deck, but I think that because I early pulled off that endo thingy, my pace was just slow enough for me to stick my hands out and turn on to my side a little.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    rb1956 wrote:
    Each time I came up behind my target, he stopped and pulled over to let me pass. Does that count as a scalp, on the same principle as a dog rolling on its back to show submission to the pack leader? :wink:

:shock: What? He actually gave in? Outrageous. You can't surrender like that. I think that's a scalp. You say "each time" though - did he re-take you on other parts?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:

Cheers, chaps.

Yep, I'm fine, thanks. I hit the deck, but I think that because I early pulled off that endo thingy, my pace was just slow enough for me to stick my hands out and turn on to my side a little.

Glad you're ok mate!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:

Cheers, chaps.

did your helmet save your life? :wink: glad everythings ok
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Fairly quiet this morning, someone did me today fair and square my beard was dragging me back... that or it's the first week back and I was suffering a little at that point

Later on I spotted a fast fixed who seemed to be happily cruising at 22 I went past him he then flew past at a junction I did him and repeat another 2 times... he was either a complete nutbar or in such a zen state everything was just flowing and there was no need to slow down.... I think nutbar
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Oh gruel world!
    my new wheels are on route RIGHT NOW yet it's a total winter wonderland outside, too icy to even walk on the pavements :cry:

How you mock me :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited January 2009
    cj - sorry to hear about your near-calamity & glad that you're OK>

But what., pray tell, is an "endo thingy" :?:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    minus 5 this morning was a bit hardcore, even for me, but I had a lovely ride in. Only felt slippy when I got into normal clothes when I got to work!

No scalps, but I did pass a man going the other way.

In shorts :shock:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    hey cjcp,
    glad to hear you're ok. i thought you'd catch me up as i punctured down at roehampton. didn't realise you were playing rolly polly in battersea. :D
    Always in stealth mode
  • cjcp
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Cheers, chaps.

did your helmet save your life? :wink: glad everythings ok

:lol:

Thanks, chaps.

Anyone think that there a massive number of clowns on the road this morning. The road works on the NK Road make the place look like flippin' Delhi on a good day. They've inspired U-turns, weaving, creeping at lights, and in one case a spectacular, illegal right turn on to Battersea Bridge through a red light (this was just before ours turned green :shock: ).
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Four words: bacon and sausage bap. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    martinc wrote:
    hey cjcp,
    glad to hear you're ok. i thought you'd catch me up as i punctured down at roehampton. didn't realise you were playing rolly polly in battersea. :D

Not a chance. Not that fast. :) Oh, and don't tell your OH. She'll tell mine! And you'll probably cop it too!

Think you might need new tyres.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Garou
    Garou Posts: 33
    Linsen - minus 5 this morning

I didn't realise it was that cold. I've taken to deliberately avoiding the BBC weather site in the morning in case it puts me off. That'll be why I needed my ski gloves, and the water in my water bottle was partially frozen when i got to work. Nice morning though.
    'I'm not in the business; I am the business.'
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    2 Roadie Scalps in a row this am - they both RLJ'd though, twice. Numpties.

My right leg is feeling a bit sore atm - still come Tuesday I'll be in Turkey for a weeks holiday so a little rest for me...

Oh and @ Greg66, an Endo is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoppie
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Morning All

No commute for me this morning, I was out on the razz last night and so left my bike at work.

The only news for my commute was the charming lady who barged me on the bus, pushed me against the wall and then told me to JUST SHUT UP when I suggested she might want to give me a little more space. I finished this exchange with a polite "I hope you have a nice day"...I think I took the moral high ground there smug smile

Just another reminder as to why I ride my bike.

CJCP...I've warned you about pulling tricks on your way home before haven't I tsk tsk!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    cjcp, glad you are OK as those can be painful when you are locked in. Perhaps you need a new bike for your commute? Picture%201_8.png
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • cjcp
    Oh and @ Greg66, an Endo is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoppie

Yep, one of them things. Except picture 4 is where things differ...

@ Feltup & Litts - :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Littigator wrote:
    Morning All

No commute for me this morning, I was out on the razz last night and so left my bike at work.

The only news for my commute was the charming lady who barged me on the bus, pushed me against the wall and then told me to JUST SHUT UP when I suggested she might want to give me a little more space. I finished this exchange with a polite "I hope you have a nice day"...I think I took the moral high ground there smug smile

Just another reminder as to why I ride my bike.

CJCP...I've warned you about pulling tricks on your way home before haven't I tsk tsk!

Morning, I just posted a pic of some potential new ink for you in that other place
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5