Silly commuting racing

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    hopkinb said:

Once I can be bothered, I'll clean my cassette (black and disgusting) and put it on the new rear wheel before the springtime chain/cassette change.

I'd hold off on that for the moment. My bike is booked in with washmy.bike tomorrow, so I'd expect some truly terrible weather to be along shortly.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    asprilla said:

I'd hold off on that for the moment. My bike is booked in with washmy.bike tomorrow, so I'd expect some truly terrible weather to be along shortly.

Can I pay for someone to come and wash my bike while I'm at work? *heads off to google to find out*.
  • hopkinb
    Ah, I have to go to them. They are just minutes away tomorrow though. Might see if I can book a wash!
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    hopkinb said:

... Why not buy something that's actually designed for what you are going to use it for?

because that turns you into a Lycra Lout ;-)
    hopkinb said:

New deeper,wider and slightly heavier wheel ... once I can be bothered, I'll clean my cassette (black and disgusting) and put it on the new rear wheel before the springtime chain/cassette change.

I'm very impressed you can propel the new wheel without having put the cassette on!
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • asprilla
    hopkinb said:

Ah, I have to go to them. They are just minutes away tomorrow though. Might see if I can book a wash!

Unfortunately I haven't found a way of knowing where they are going to be more than a couple of days in advance. Would be great if they could give their 7 day plan and also message out 'We are at X tomorrow and have free slots at the following times.....' as I'm more of an opportunist than a planner.

I'm only doing tomorrow as they are 100m from my office. I think they are generally between Moorgate, Barbican, St Pauls and St Martin's-Le-Grand every other day.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • hopkinb
    asprilla said:

hopkinb said:

Unfortunately I haven't found a way of knowing where they are going to be more than a couple of days in advance. Would be great if they could give their 7 day plan and also message out 'We are at X tomorrow and have free slots at the following times.....' as I'm more of an opportunist than a planner.

I'm only doing tomorrow as they are 100m from my office. I think they are generally between Moorgate, Barbican, St Pauls and St Martin's-Le-Grand every other day.
    Seems to be a schedule 7 days ahead on the website.

I just tried to register, but you have to put in your card details, incl CVV, in order to register. Not sure I fancy doing that.
  • hopkinb
    rower63 said:

hopkinb said:

New deeper,wider and slightly heavier wheel ... once I can be bothered, I'll clean my cassette (black and disgusting) and put it on the new rear wheel before the springtime chain/cassette change.

I'm very impressed you can propel the new wheel without having put the cassette on!
    :)

You just have to pedal very very hard...

I have only put the front wheel on, as that was the one that was pinched. I also bought a new rear wheel so my wheels would match, but I took one look at the filthy state of the chain/cassette and thought I would wait until I get the time and light to clean it all up. Unfortunately my wife doesn't think filthy bike oil and winter road grime/mud is acceptable in our newly refurbished house, and there's not much daylight available outside the weekend at the moment. Hence my interest in someone else washing the bike for me, then I can (hopefully) get it home clean(ish), and swap the cassette over to the new rear wheel and get back to a symmetrical looking bike.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Back on the bike today, naturally taking it easy on the corners !!! Kept rubber side down, which was the main objective. Tailwind was most welcome so took a few scalps when the urge took hold.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    edited January 2020
    train w@nkering yesterday and today & WFH tomorrow because bike is in the shop getting its yearly tart up. Means I've had to listen to my boss who bike commuted for the first time this morning telling his heroic story of making it to the city and getting two punctures. Sounds like he is waiting for a call from Tom Cruise for the film rights the way he is going on. All the while i'm sat here thinking....welcome to the party pal!
  • hopkinb

Back on the bike today, naturally taking it easy on the corners !!! Kept rubber side down, which was the main objective. Tailwind was most welcome so took a few scalps when the urge took hold.

Good to hear you're back on it after the spill. Nothing serioudly damaged then?
  • kingstonian
    hopkinb said:

Good to hear you're back on it after the spill. Nothing serioudly damaged then?

No, thanks - I was lucky. Skin will heal, ankle still stiff but getting better by the day.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,364
    Seen all sorts of variations of lighting riding through Bushy Park, and a few ninjas of course. But saw a new one today, a chap with the usual front and rear lights but also what I think could have been boat navigation lights. A red light on one arm and green on the other.
    Also, and more worryingly, a sign appealing for witnesses to a serious assault. Apparently an altercation between a cyclist and a dog walker, no idea what happened but be careful out there folks.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    edited January 2020
    I bumped into @TGOTB last night, he's on good form. But I did berate him for not re-joining the forum. He said he can't, as he's still registered with a now-defunct email address and is effectively locked out unless he starts as a newbie again.

Moderators? Can you help? @rick_chasey @veronese68 ?

We need him back.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,867
    Tell him to e-mail forumhelp@bikeradar.com that's what I did.
  • Unusually today, I narrowly avoided being hit because the driver was more attentive than me. Priory Lane, I was on the cycle lane because of traffic, crossing one of the side roads, I didn't realise the car was turning left, but he realised I was there. Lesson re-learned.
  • asprilla
    Just had my bike washed by Washmy.bike. I don't think it was even that clean when it was new.

My badge of honour is that when I went to pick it up he told me he needed more time because it was so filthy and he was glad he didn't have anyone booked in immediately after me.

The cassette is so shiny you can see your face in it and I can read the text on the hubs again.

Expect the weather gods to look unfavourably on this.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    asprilla said:

The cassette is so shiny you can see your face in it and I can read the text on the hubs again.

H³ take note, I expect to hear you waxing lyrical about wooshy sounding rear wheel before long.
    My bike is looking extremely sorry for itself at the moment, really should give it some love. Had tubeless sealant sprayed all over the back of it last night as well. Fixed the hole with one of those worm things, remarkably easy, just hope it worked. In the car today so haven't checked it yet.
  • asprilla said:

Just had my bike washed by Washmy.bike. I don't think it was even that clean when it was new.

My badge of honour is that when I went to pick it up he told me he needed more time because it was so filthy and he was glad he didn't have anyone booked in immediately after me.

I would definitely do this if they came anywhere near me. Great idea, especially this time of year when I can't be bothered to do anything with it when I get home during the week, except occasionally a wipe and a squirt of GT85 then remember on a Monday morning I was supposed to clean it on the weekend.
  • hopkinb
    asprilla said:

I will keep an eye out for when they are next close by.

@asprilla - just to confirm, did you register on the website/app and enter your debit card details including CVV as part of the registration process?
  • asprilla
    hopkinb said:

asprilla said:

I will keep an eye out for when they are next close by.

@asprilla - just to confirm, did you register on the website/app and enter your debit card details including CVV as part of the registration process?
    Yes. No payment was made when I dropped the bike off or picked it up. It's like Uber.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • hopkinb

H³ take note, I expect to hear you waxing lyrical about wooshy sounding rear wheel before long.

Aye, or I'll just buy a new cassette and stick a new chain on too. But I think a full clean would be nicer. Probably make me and the bike faster as well. Though like asprilla says - the act of cleaning will also call down 3 weeks of torrential rain and mudslides in the SW London area.

• hopkinb

occasionally a wipe and a squirt of GT85 then remember on a Monday morning I was supposed to clean it on the weekend.

My cleaning routine exactly. Sometimes on Monday I use a finger to scrape all the grime off the seat tube after it has dried over the weekend.

• I really should look up the cost of that...

Chapeaux to the guy in a KW cap and Agrigel ADR jersey, good pace and channeling some top LeMond vibes in that jersey.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • hopkinb
    asprilla said:

Yes. No payment was made when I dropped the bike off or picked it up. It's like Uber.

Thanks.
  • asprilla

I really should look up the cost of that...

Chapeaux to the guy in a KW cap and Agrigel ADR jersey, good pace and channeling some top LeMond vibes in that jersey.

£25 is the top end for steam clean, lube and polish. He even buffed my flaps. On my mudguards.

There are less pricey options but this was needed.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    asprilla said:

£25 is the top end for steam clean, lube and polish.

I'll wait for the report on how your bearings hold up, not that I'm tight or anything.
    OK, I'm too tight to pay that.
  • kingstonian
    asprilla said:

I really should look up the cost of that...

£25 is the top end for steam clean, lube and polish. He even buffed my flaps. On my mudguards.

There are less pricey options but this was needed.

To be fair, if I'd had a legitimate reason to drop "buffed my flaps" into a post I wouldn't be able to resist either !!!
  • asprilla said:

£25 is the top end for steam clean, lube and polish.

I'll wait for the report on how your bearings hold up, not that I'm tight or anything.
    ^ This

If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • asprilla
    Indeed.

However, I've already had to replace the headset bearings on the Canyon and the Cervelo this year and they get a bucket of cold water or a low pressure hose when I wash them, so I see this as an experiment.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • stn5
    stn5 Posts: 44
    There's new signs up in Bushy Park appealing for witnesses to an incident between a cyclist and a dog walker. Looked it up and discovered this... https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/dog-walker-61-breaks-leg-17488666.amp