Silly commuting racing

Comments

• stn5 said:

There's new signs up in Bushy Park appealing for witnesses to an incident between a cyclist and a dog walker. Looked it up and discovered this... https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/dog-walker-61-breaks-leg-17488666.amp

I think him being "a cyclist" is very much peripheral to that story. Sounds like he was out in the park with his family, and seriously assaulted a man for perceived inadequate clearing of dog mess. Crazy.
  • stn5 said:

There's new signs up in Bushy Park appealing for witnesses to an incident between a cyclist and a dog walker. Looked it up and discovered this... https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/dog-walker-61-breaks-leg-17488666.amp

I think him being "a cyclist" is very much peripheral to that story. Sounds like he was out in the park with his family, and seriously assaulted a man for perceived inadequate clearing of dog mess. Crazy.
    How very unpleasant, Bushy is generally fairly calm even when it’s chocka on a sunny Sunday, Crane see standup rows generally between runners/dog walkers/folks with kids etc, every so often.

• stn5
    stn5 Posts: 44

stn5 said:

Yeah.. I am on the fence about mentioning his mode of transport - on one side it is only going to fuel hate towards cyclists in the park on the other side it helps with the slim chance of identifying the perpetrator.
  • stn5 said:

stn5 said:

Yeah.. I am on the fence about mentioning his mode of transport - on one side it is only going to fuel hate towards cyclists in the park on the other side it helps with the slim chance of identifying the perpetrator.
    Mentioning he had a bike makes sense, but what he was wearing, what he looked like and how many kids were with him would have helped more. He might not be anything like the mental image you get when they say they are looking for "a cyclist".

By the way, that website is horrific.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Out for booze after work yesterday - slight headache today, so very glad of the tailwind on my return to the bike, though could have done without the warmth, as I got a bit of a sweat on.

Clapham North opened up for me so I buried it in a biggish gear, hitting 60 km/h (always a sign of a big tailwind) before having to sit up as the traffic closed in again - therefore failed to break my PR for the segment, equalling it instead, would have smashed it if hadn't had to sit up.

Enjoyable ride. No doubt grovelling into a headwind with a full backpack will be less enjoyable this evening.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Yeah, nice tailwind indeed. Had some good 2-up riding through RP, we both commented on the deep joy of a brisk Friday morning tailwind though how we won't feel too happy about it by hometime.
  • The week is dragging so bring on the head wind. Good luck to everyone gammon dodging it through Parliament Square.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    Knowing that the 18:00 downpour in central London was battering the hundreds of union jack waving gammons gathering around parliament, made the ride home in the rain one of the most pleasurable ever! :D
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Took inordinate pleasure in slowly turning the screw on fairies, and hearing them gasp for air as they tried and failed to hold my wheel in the headwind. Sh@gged myself out a bit, but ear breathing nonchalantly at traffic lights and channeling my inner Kiryienka dealt with that. :)
  • kingstonian
    hopkinb said:

Took inordinate pleasure in slowly turning the screw on fairies, and hearing them gasp for air as they tried and failed to hold my wheel in the headwind. Sh@gged myself out a bit, but ear breathing nonchalantly at traffic lights and channeling my inner Kiryienka dealt with that. :)

Haha, I did exactly the same on my way home.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    stn5 said:
    who predictably looks nothing like a 'cyclist'
    FCN = 4
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,546
    Not least of all because he isn't on a bike.
  • mtb-idle
    'zackly.

In other news yesterday was my first day on the bike for 8 days. My lower back went into spasm Thursday 23rd. This happens about every 18 months for me from a combination of too much cycling and/or gardening but this was the first time it's happened from sitting in my home office all day.

Still it was sufficiently recovered plus my legs were itching to get back on the bike for a mild, dry Friday morning in January.

Had a little bit of SCR on the false flat up to Westferry Circus in Canary Wharf and thought I would share it with you via the medium of moving pictures.

I thought I had positioned myself perfectly for the sprint finish but ultimately left myself too much to do to catch red bootie/pink backpack/squeaky mudguard guy or (whispers) perhaps he was just faster than me #sillycommuterracing
    FCN = 4
  • Top commute in, dry, tail wind, catchable nodders and tidy legs. Accident by oval which looked quite fresh, looked minor between Van and car but still fire men cutting people out and not a full clusterfvckery of traffic which felt odd.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • mtb-idle said:

'zackly.

In other news yesterday was my first day on the bike for 8 days. My lower back went into spasm Thursday 23rd. This happens about every 18 months for me from a combination of too much cycling and/or gardening but this was the first time it's happened from sitting in my home office all day.

Still it was sufficiently recovered plus my legs were itching to get back on the bike for a mild, dry Friday morning in January.

Had a little bit of SCR on the false flat up to Westferry Circus in Canary Wharf and thought I would share it with you via the medium of moving pictures.

I thought I had positioned myself perfectly for the sprint finish but ultimately left myself too much to do to catch red bootie/pink backpack/squeaky mudguard guy or (whispers) perhaps he was just faster than me #sillycommuterracing

Textbook timing through the lights at the start. I seem to get caught by the lights at the top of the ramp every time at the moment
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Traffic was quiet this morning. Everyone must be away skiing. Kept my foot up from Kingston Station to The Temperance, which was very nice with that tail wind.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mtb-idle

Textbook timing through the lights at the start. I seem to get caught by the lights at the top of the ramp every time at the moment

Cheers bud, I agree, for a very quiet piece of road on terms of pedestrians those lights do spend a lot of their time being red and with me being on a 48:16 is tough to get going again.
    FCN = 4
  • kingstonian
    nice tailwind was ruined by having to make 3 stops on the way to work. Rear tubeless tyre is giving me problems, hope I've fixed it now.
  • mtb-idle

Top commute in, dry, tail wind, catchable nodders and tidy legs. Accident by oval which looked quite fresh, looked minor between Van and car but still fire men cutting people out and not a full clusterfvckery of traffic which felt odd.

Yeah I musta bin beside you cos I saw the same accident and yes twas very little traffic built up. Say one or two car queue
    FCN = 4
  • Seems I was 6-8 minutes behind you according to Strava, you should have been level pegging with Hopkins though,,,
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    edited February 2020
    whats Richmond Park like as i am in Brentford next weekend and hiring a people carrier and if its big enough in the back (rear two seats) i might throw my road bike in for a Sat morning ride.

working in Morecambe at the moment and got totally soaked to the bone riding back last night around 7pm the rain off the sea was like Hail bloody knacked my face lol
  • silverstreak
    silverstreak Posts: 49
    edited February 2020
    parmos said:

whats Richmond Park like as i am in Brentford next weekend and hiring a people carrier and if its big enough in the back (rear two seats) i might throw my road bike in for a Sat morning ride.

working in Morecambe at the moment and got totally soaked to the bone riding back last night around 7pm the rain off the sea was like Hail bloody knacked my face lol

Lovely generally. Right now, west to east is a wind assisted blast, east to west tougher going. Most people cruise the road that runs round the outside (one circuit is about 7 miles). This gets packed during the day at the weekend with cars and bikes, so if the traffic bothers you, go early morning (pre 8.30am) if you want some clear circuits. Having said that, gales are forecast for next Sunday, so that may thin things out a bit.

There’s also the Tamsin Trail, a cycle-cum-footpath that runs round the perimeter of the park (outside the road). This is nice for hybrid/MTB riding.

The cafe just inside the park at the Roehampton gate is full of cyclists at the weekend. If they’re not your thing, there’s also Pembroke Lodge on the other side of the park (nice views from the cafe terrace when the sun’s out) or a caravan serving tea/coffee/sarnies at the Pen Ponds car park near the ballet school in the middle of the park. My favourite is actually outside the park: Hollyhocks Cafe. Demon chickpea curry.

Have fun ... and keep a watchful eye for deer if cycling in the dark!
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100

parmos said:

Lovely generally. Right now, west to east is a wind assisted blast, east to west tougher going. Most people cruise the road that runs round the outside (one circuit is about 7 miles). This gets packed during the day at the weekend with cars and bikes, so if the traffic bothers you, go early morning (pre 8.30am) if you want some clear circuits. Having said that, gales are forecast for next Sunday, so that may thin things out a bit.

There’s also the Tamsin Trail, a cycle-cum-footpath that runs round the perimeter of the park (outside the road). This is nice for hybrid/MTB riding.

The cafe just inside the park at the Roehampton gate is full of cyclists at the weekend. If they’re not your thing, there’s also Pembroke Lodge on the other side of the park (nice views from the cafe terrace when the sun’s out) or a caravan serving tea/coffee/sarnies at the Pen Ponds car park near the ballet school in the middle of the park. My favourite is actually outside the park: Hollyhocks Cafe. Demon chickpea curry.

Have fun ... and keep a watchful eye for deer if cycling in the dark!
    much appreciated i will be down there Sat & Sun but Saturday AM would be the better day for me as i'll be having a few drinks on the evening.
  • kingstonian
    parmos said:

If you are in Brentford, I would ride to RP, it isn't far at all. Easiest way is over Kew Bridge, head past Kew Gardens and through Richmond.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I thought it was supposed to be head wind home this evening. Or not. Flew home.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    asprilla said:

Unexpected tailwinds are the best :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • kingstonian
    asprilla said:

I only felt it in RP, and even then it was an annoying crosswind, not headwind.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    rower63 said:

I bumped into @TGOTB last night, he's on good form. But I did berate him for not re-joining the forum.

I'm back!

Have I missed anything?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328

parmos said:

If you are in Brentford, I would ride to RP, it isn't far at all. Easiest way is over Kew Bridge, head past Kew Gardens and through Richmond.
    Certainly quicker, roadworks on Kew Bridge at the moment.