Silly commuting racing

Comments

• rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Rhodrich wrote:
    Having gone down from 5 days cycle commuting to 1 day (owing to 4 days being spent in Dublin), my fitness has dropped off a cliff. My scalp is for the taking on Fridays.....

The sooner I procure a bike here in Dublin the better. The second hand market for decent bikes here appears to be non existent though.
    I'll look forward to claiming it.

Had a miserable day yesterday. On the way in, in Richmond Park, a squirrel darted out from the verge straight under my front wheel. I had no chance of avoiding it. RIP, very annoying, I love wildlife and hate killing things.

Then on my way home, I pootled to a stop at some lights near work, unclipped and put my foot down. Unfortunately I placed my cleat directly onto a largeish wet pebble on the road, my foot skipped sideways and I jerked to try to rebalance and involuntarily tilted over towards my clipped-in side. Cue my THIRD stationary topple-over onto the same knee in 2 months. GRRRRRRRR.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    rower63 wrote:
    Rhodrich wrote:
    Having gone down from 5 days cycle commuting to 1 day (owing to 4 days being spent in Dublin), my fitness has dropped off a cliff. My scalp is for the taking on Fridays.....

The sooner I procure a bike here in Dublin the better. The second hand market for decent bikes here appears to be non existent though.

Had a miserable day yesterday. On the way in, in Richmond Park, a squirrel darted out from the verge straight under my front wheel. I had no chance of avoiding it. RIP, very annoying, I love wildlife and hate killing things.

Then on my way home, I pootled to a stop at some lights near work, unclipped and put my foot down. Unfortunately I placed my cleat directly onto a largeish wet pebble on the road, my foot skipped sideways and I jerked to try to rebalance and involuntarily tilted over towards my clipped-in side. Cue my THIRD stationary topple-over onto the same knee in 2 months. GRRRRRRRR.

At what point do we start saying that you've 'had a fall'?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rower63 wrote:
    Rhodrich wrote:

As I was reading that, I swear I thought you were going to say that you unclipped and put your foot down on another squirrel.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,411
    Cruff wrote:
    Top marks to the lady who explained to me last night after she cut me up on a roundabout that she had seen me...
    ...the first thing out of their filthy f*cking sewer is: "I did see you, right..."

At that point I've had to ride away without further discussion. because the alternative would have been reaching into their car for thirty seconds of furiously smashing their f*king head repeatedly against their steering wheel, followed by a long prison sentence.
    By their logic you can excuse beating the sh!t out of them by saying you’ve seen them.

Pleasant afternoon for a ride but had to get home fairly quick, spotted a bike along the road in Bushy Park as I was crossing so thought I’d take a slightly longer way round and give chase. Just about made up a 100m gap by Diana’s Ring, turns out I was chasing a colleague, I think his scalp is now mine.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Very quiet out this morning. Raced the rain all the way in and managed to stay ahead the whole way....does nature have a scalp???
  • asprilla
    Did someone post a few weeks ago about a grey german car on Priory Lane deliberately close passing? I remember a video. He went for me this morning. He's got mental issues.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Raced the rain all the way in and managed to stay ahead the whole way....does nature have a scalp???

:D Me too. First drops fell as I was locking my bike. Seemed to be plenty cyclists out, a good minority boiling themselves in those heavy fluoro winter rain jackets.
  • hopkinb wrote:
    Raced the rain all the way in and managed to stay ahead the whole way....does nature have a scalp???

:D Me too. First drops fell as I was locking my bike. Seemed to be plenty cyclists out, a good minority boiling themselves in those heavy fluoro winter rain jackets.

Me three, quite pleasing - although I don't expect to be as smug after the ride home later.

Yeah can't understand why people feel the need to waterproof up for a short ride to work. I'm very much of the 'just get wet' school, makes you faster anyway by cooling the engine.
    Did someone post a few weeks ago about a grey german car on Priory Lane deliberately close passing? I remember a video. He went for me this morning. He's got mental issues.

Surprised he hasn't been nicked already - you should report it to the police (if you haven't already).
  • asprilla
    Surprised he hasn't been nicked already - you should report it to the police (if you haven't already).

Cant's remember his reg. If anyone can point me at the original post and video I'll get right on it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • smokey_bacon
    Asprilla wrote:

Cant's remember his reg. If anyone can point me at the original post and video I'll get right on it.

https://lfgss.microco.sm/api/v1/files/b17f76410476af32d851a1e6799c518484de0baa.MP4

This Guy???
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

https://lfgss.microco.sm/api/v1/files/b17f76410476af32d851a1e6799c518484de0baa.MP4

This Guy???

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of, but it's a different car as it turns out. There are too many nutters out there.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • I think the post was from me so i'll do some digging but from memory I think it was blue...

My god, taking Dirty Tooting on the way home let's you see a few drivers on their phones... I will stick to the Wimbledon detour from now on.

I got slightly damp this morning but i'll stick to the approach at Hopkins.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • smokey_bacon
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

This Guy???

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of, but it's a different car as it turns out. There are too many nutters out there.

Amen to that. Priory Lane seems to be a lunatics playground recently.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,444

Amen to that. Priory Lane seems to be a lunatics playground recently.

I've found it better since the school's broke up but this year I've been hit by a car turning across me once, and had an enraged guy actually stop his car because he needed to tell me to get on the non-existent cycle lane and if I wasn't going to use it he wanted me to be back in front of him so he could run me over. Not counting the close passes and shouts from drivers breaking the speed limit. It needs a speed camera, could easily be justified from the schools, nurseries and the tennis academy being there.
  • norks74
    norks74 Posts: 54
    Asprilla wrote:

This Guy???

Tell me the one in the link above was reported to Old Bill?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,059
    It a nationwide epidemic these days, I had a car swerve at me on a remote hill road which unusually for here is dual lanes, no traffic of any kind for miles, he still felt the need to cross to my side of the road and move away at the last minute.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • asprilla
    That was a nice ride in. Feel I'm now thoroughly recovered from my triathlon perversions at the weekend.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Fizzy cola bottle were procured 3/4 through the ride home last night due to bonking, this trying to slim down a bit is rubbish.

Almost home, getting dark, lights on, some tw4t on coming in a road with cars parked both sides decides the best time to overtake a cyclist also heading my way is just as we all meet, swerving in my direction. What really pissed me off is it was their utter lack of patience in a residential area where the driver could only be heading home, as was driving away from any major roads.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • smokey_bacon
    Fizzy cola bottle were procured 3/4 through the ride home last night due to bonking, this trying to slim down a bit is rubbish.

Almost home, getting dark, lights on, some tw4t on coming in a road with cars parked both sides decides the best time to overtake a cyclist also heading my way is just as we all meet, swerving in my direction. What really pissed me off is it was their utter lack of patience in a residential area where the driver could only be heading home, as was driving away from any major roads.

Nearly happened to me last night aswell, was toast by the time i got home. I was straight in the freezer for a magnum. The roads around Surbo are terrible at the moment. I have most of my near misses around there, I think everyone's gone crazy because of the roadworks by the bike shop.
  • Fizzy cola bottle were procured 3/4 through the ride home last night due to bonking, this trying to slim down a bit is rubbish.

Nearly happened to me last night aswell, was toast by the time i got home. I was straight in the freezer for a magnum. The roads around Surbo are terrible at the moment. I have most of my near misses around there, I think everyone's gone crazy because of the roadworks by the bike shop.

Those roadworks give me two filtered roads on my commute so I can't complain, If one of your neighbours drive a small silver volvo do put a dent in it for me.
  • matt.j
    matt.j Posts: 45
    Rhodrich wrote:

Have you tried the good old Yellow Pages Rhodrich

Should be ideal for the genre of bike you normally go for :wink:

https://youtu.be/igf-QK1emIw
  • dekant
    dekant Posts: 114
    rower63 wrote:
    On the way in, in Richmond Park, a squirrel darted out from the verge straight under my front wheel. I had no chance of avoiding it. RIP, very annoying, I love wildlife and hate killing things.

RIP squirrel but this is good to know that if you hit them (head on at least) you won't come off. Not sure this would happen if the squirrel tried to jump through the wheel though...

This actually happened to me once but luckily I was on deep sections so it just headbutted the rim and bounced off.
  • dekant wrote:
    rower63 wrote:
    On the way in, in Richmond Park, a squirrel darted out from the verge straight under my front wheel. I had no chance of avoiding it. RIP, very annoying, I love wildlife and hate killing things.

RIP squirrel but this is good to know that if you hit them (head on at least) you won't come off. Not sure this would happen if the squirrel tried to jump through the wheel though...

This actually happened to me once but luckily I was on deep sections so it just headbutted the rim and bounced off.

Have had this exact thing happen, he did half a rotation before getting snapped by the forks. I kept rolling but circled back to take a look, and maybe finish the job. A walker who saw just telling me "he's gone mate, he's gone"

In other news I lost the sprint to Hopkins but am now pleading a mechanical as evidently my mudguard had snapped in two and was dragging on the rear wheel.
  • hopkinb
    dekant wrote:
    rower63 wrote:

RIP squirrel but this is good to know that if you hit them (head on at least) you won't come off.

Unlike badgers...

Was that Rhodrich? Hit a badger descending Dark Hill and rolled all the way down to Kingston Gate? At least that's how I remember the story.
  • hopkinb

In other news I lost the sprint to Hopkins but am now pleading a mechanical as evidently my mudguard had snapped in two and was dragging on the rear wheel.

:D

I've also had an additional 4 days back on the bike to regain some semblance of fitness.

48 kph on false flat isn't too bad for Friday legs, I was pleased when I looked back and realised I could stop pedalling at the segregated section.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Matt.J wrote:
    Rhodrich wrote:

Have you tried the good old Yellow Pages Rhodrich

Should be ideal for the genre of bike you normally go for :wink:

https://youtu.be/igf-QK1emIw
    He's not wearing a helmet! :twisted:
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • dekant
    Have had this exact thing happen, he did half a rotation before getting snapped by the forks. I kept rolling but circled back to take a look, and maybe finish the job. A walker who saw just telling me "he's gone mate, he's gone"

Yikes. Guess that means I don't need to be so worried about squirrels darting out any more then (aside from the bloody mess and moral stand point)
  • dekant
    Assuming I have any morals, that is
  • smokey_bacon
    dekant wrote:
    Assuming I have any morals, that is

Course you dont have morals.....#bloodycyclist

I have been properly toasted by the weather this week so took one look at the bike this morning and got the train and a bacon sarnie with no regrets.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,059
    mmmm bacon
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.