Silly commuting racing

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    gb155 wrote:

This fast-Fat-Boy on a MTB Needs more slaps.

Many Thanks

Gaz

:D

*Delivers a brutal backhand in the style of an Obersturmbannführer

Always happy to punish an MTBer.
    :D
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Greg T wrote:
    Word on the street CP is that you've fitted Tri bars to your brompton.

Can you confirm this?

It's a scurrilous rumour started by the scared majority... most of whom want their scalp back

Hell even if I did I'd be a 13 on it and possibly the most ridiculous commuter in creation :lol:

Just to reiterate my commute on the brompton is 1 maybe 2 miles
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Brompton carnage this morning 4 mtbs and a roadie I binned easily on the rise going north on tower bridge

Lose the beard and double your numbers - cold blooded you are, a killer! Did you have your "war face" on?

Nope, just a ouch that's gotta hurt smile
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Arrrggggghhhh!!! The poison runs deep...

:lol::lol:

I'm tempted to say 'Ah you pillock'. But I won't. Yes, because I'm nice, exactly.

Out of curiosity, what speed did you get to? Or was having the computer on (rightly) considered far too dangerous what with all the pent-up rage?

I canned the computer about 5 weeks ago because I was disgusted by the low numbers I was getting (this was when I was riding slowly to try to let it get better - ha ha).

Not fast though. I'd guess maybe 36kph tops.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • All good fun this morning, took an alternative route up into town going via Streatham then heading towards Tooting before heading towards the A24 via a lovely route I learnt from D3 on the way to the Clapham hub on the FW. Brings me out opposite the Waitrose which is where I got my first scalp.

As I was held at the lights to join the main road I saw a chappie on a sleek looking bike wizz past. Lights go green and I'm off chasing :-) He's holding about 20-22 but I'm having some trouble ID'ing his FCN, the kit suggest a proper rider but I couldn't see drop bars.........
    On passing I found he had bull-horn bars and he was on a SS!! Up ahead I had the small rise and managed to hold him off up that (the joy of gears!) and he eventually pulled up next to me at the lights. Turns out he was on a rather nice black Pearson Touche!

The next scalp made me think of DDD as it was exactly as he descibes his "perfect" scalp. On the ride up from Stockwell along South Lambeth Road I found a guy on a Lemond road bike. I let him get a bit ahead at a set of lights as he squeezed past a taxi and I didn't feel was really necessary and expected the lights to change shortly. He got about 10 metre ahead but I knew I was going to have a bus lane to reel him in after the lights. I binned him and about 4 other hybrid/mtb types before flying through the next set of lights just as they went amber! Looking back after the junction confirmed only the lead hybrid/mtb rider made it through!

Nothing on the extended ride home, but then heading away from town at 9:30 I wasn't expecting much!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I live just off the South Lambeth road and am always scalped there because it takes me a mile or so to warm up as I start...I wonder if I was one of the 'hybrid' types...!

Mind you some bloke on a road bike pulled up alongside me near Victoria only for me to leave him for dead because I could take the speed bumps faster than he could, muhaha. Some advantages to using the hybrid during winter time...
  • biondino wrote:
    On my journey in today I made decent time, but felt for the first time that perhaps my age is beginning to make a difference to my fitness. I'll be 35 next birthday and I've grown up with the whole "footballers have to retire at 36 because their bodies stop working" concept, so I'm a bit nervous about how this will manifest itself. Certainly my stamina is pretty feeble right now - I can burn down the road at good speeds but then need twice as long bimbling along at 15mph to recover. Is this normal?

I just turned 36 a month ago, and having been commuting a 10 mile round trip for most of the last 2 years. I feel myself get nothing but fitter all the time, in fact I probably feel better these days than I have since I was about 23.

To be fair it could be in part due to the fact I can't take my beer so well any more & stay in more since the arrival of kids so my overall lifestyle is much cleaner.

What I find interesting is that I've tended to get fitter in stages, one month my lungs are struggling to keep up with my legs then it flips about and my legs are aching but I'm not out of breath, then it flips again and so on.
  • If I overtake someone on a folder while I'm riding a folder, but I've got bigger wheels (cos it's not a Brompton!) what about my FCN? Or should I just be embarassed about this because I'm so close to pondlife anyway?

And what's the etiquette of scalping someone? Say hello as you pass, to really rub it in, or sail past as if they're not there? I've tried tohe first and the bloke looked as if he wanted to choke me.
    My other bike's a Dawes.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Er, chaps? I scalped Santa last night on the Lower Richmond Road :shock: . Any idea what the FCN number is for a sleigh?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    W1 wrote:
    Er, chaps? I scalped Santa last night on the Lower Richmond Road :shock: . Any idea what the FCN number is for a sleigh?

Pick a number and multiply it by 3...

Saw Santa last week on Gloucester Road driving a Beach buggy - I think thats worth a scalping.
  • Clever Pun
    If I overtake someone on a folder while I'm riding a folder, but I've got bigger wheels (cos it's not a Brompton!) what about my FCN? Or should I just be embarassed about this because I'm so close to pondlife anyway?

And what's the etiquette of scalping someone? Say hello as you pass, to really rub it in, or sail past as if they're not there? I've tried tohe first and the bloke looked as if he wanted to choke me.

folder is a folder is a folder.... play this as you want and welcome to a new way of life

you're pondlife that can destroy the dreams of aspiring ridiers. I can get low-mid 20's on mine so far :lol:

You can say hello if you want and you're not out of breath cause you're not trying... if you do say hello be prepared for a race though

Oh yes that reminds me last night on the fixed some guy (roadie) hurtled past me at the lights and I set off after him and you could see he was gunning it for all he was worth I upped the spins and strolled past him... he flew past again once I hit traffic and then did him once more on the open road... he then skipped past me filtering again and turned off at a roundabout and you could see he was broken as he freewheeled slumped over his drops :lol: Nice effort but it showed and ultimately he failed... Man up next time chap
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino wrote:
    On my journey in today I made decent time, but felt for the first time that perhaps my age is beginning to make a difference to my fitness. I'll be 35 next birthday and I've grown up with the whole "footballers have to retire at 36 because their bodies stop working" concept, so I'm a bit nervous about how this will manifest itself. Certainly my stamina is pretty feeble right now - I can burn down the road at good speeds but then need twice as long bimbling along at 15mph to recover. Is this normal?

I just turned 36 a month ago, and having been commuting a 10 mile round trip for most of the last 2 years. I feel myself get nothing but fitter all the time, in fact I probably feel better these days than I have since I was about 23.

Dear Biondino, take no notice of your age! I'm 50 next month and since resuming cycling in a big way I've also taken up sqash and running again. The more you do the better you'l feel, and commuting is a great sneaky way to get loads of exercise. Keep at it - you're good for at least another 30 years!
    My other bike's a Dawes.
  • As you can see I don't know how to handle quotes yet. Sorry Biondino.
    My other bike's a Dawes.
  • I found a guy on a Lemond road bike. I let him get a bit ahead at a set of lights as he squeezed past a taxi and I didn't feel was really necessary and expected the lights to change shortly. He got about 10 metre ahead but I knew I was going to have a bus lane to reel him in after the lights. I binned him and about 4 other hybrid/mtb types before flying through the next set of lights

Is it wrong to toy with others by letting them get ahead so you can overtake them more convincingly? Am I a bad person for doing this?

LiT at lights as roadie pulls alongside her: 'No, after you mate'

Bwahahahahhahaaaaaaa

:twisted:
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I found a guy on a Lemond road bike. I let him get a bit ahead at a set of lights as he squeezed past a taxi and I didn't feel was really necessary and expected the lights to change shortly. He got about 10 metre ahead but I knew I was going to have a bus lane to reel him in after the lights. I binned him and about 4 other hybrid/mtb types before flying through the next set of lights

Is it wrong to toy with others by letting them get ahead so you can overtake them more convincingly? Am I a bad person for doing this?

Bwahahahahhahaaaaaaa

Must remember to always play the "gentleman" card and say "no after you, ladies first, I insist" ( and doff my helmet) when said lady is on a single speed and especially if it is fixed.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Feltup wrote:
    I found a guy on a Lemond road bike. I let him get a bit ahead at a set of lights as he squeezed past a taxi and I didn't feel was really necessary and expected the lights to change shortly. He got about 10 metre ahead but I knew I was going to have a bus lane to reel him in after the lights. I binned him and about 4 other hybrid/mtb types before flying through the next set of lights

Bwahahahahhahaaaaaaa

Must remember to always play the "gentleman" card and say "no after you, ladies first, I insist" ( and doff my helmet) when said lady is on a single speed and especially if it is fixed.

But that spoils my fun! Looking behind to see if people are catching me just reeks of trying.

And I keep nearly crashing whenever I'm checking shop windows.

Maybe I will get a little bar-end mirror.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    SCALP!!!!!

Okay so I'm leaving my house on the SS to pop to the supermarket when I spot a lone cyclist at the end of my road passing casually by, now normally i'd give myself a mile or two before applying any real speed but an opportunity like this, fresh blood can not be ignored...

I managed to get to 20mph by the end of the road, then "damn" the cyclist is approaching a junction and a scalp at the junction would be wrong, so I drop back allowing them to make the turn and give then a good amount of distance, then boom!!! I fly past in a blur, no time even for niceties.

Happy as I am with this oh so rare occurrence, I can't help thinking perhaps the considerable discomfort and tiredness I felt when I slowed down about 2 miles later might just have something to do with NOT warming up.

Duh!

The return journey alas no scalps but still performed at a very good avg. pace.

Moral of this story, always warm up before battle.

Oh yes and beer taste soooo much better with a scalp in the top than a stupid piece of lime. :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    itboffin wrote:
    SCALP!!!!!

Okay so I'm leaving my house on the SS to pop to the supermarket when I spot a lone cyclist at the end of my road passing casually by, now normally i'd give myself a mile or two before applying any real speed but an opportunity like this, fresh blood can not be ignored...

I managed to get to 20mph by the end of the road, then damn the cycling is approaching a junction and a scalp at the junction would be wrong, so I drop back allowing them to make the turn and give then a good amount of distance, then boom!!! I fly past in a blur, no time even for niceties.

Happy as I am with this oh so rare occurrence, I can't help thinking perhaps the considerable discomfort and tiredness I felt when I slowed down about 2 miles later might just have something to do with NOT warming up.

Duh!

Oh yes and beer taste soooo much better with a scalp in the top than a stupid piece of lime. :twisted:

Are you sitting at home with a beer? You are aren't you?

Lucky sod.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    SCALP!!!!!

I managed to get to 20mph by the end of the road, then damn the cycling is approaching a junction and a scalp at the junction would be wrong, so I drop back allowing them to make the turn and give then a good amount of distance, then boom!!! I fly past in a blur, no time even for niceties.

Duh!

Lucky sod.

It's not all relaxation you know, occasionally I have to pop out to the shops for more beer :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:

Lucky sod.

It's not all relaxation you know, occasionally I have to pop out to the shops for more beer :wink:

Argh. Can I go home now? Is it Christmas yet?

*jealous*
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Lucky sod.

Argh. Can I go home now? Is it Christmas yet?

*jealous*[/quote

Non!

Get back to work :lol:
  • Feltup
    Feltup wrote:

Bwahahahahhahaaaaaaa

But that spoils my fun! Looking behind to see if people are catching me just reeks of trying.

I've been wondering about a tiny mirror as a bar end plug, just enough to catch the movement of a stalker. I had to rely on long winter shadows which confirmed the worst that I had a stalking Indian, blade sharpened right behind me, gulp.

As for spoiling your fun, BAH HUMBUG! Rather you being joyless than me being scalpless! Season of joy and giving my arse!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • I live just off the South Lambeth road and am always scalped there because it takes me a mile or so to warm up as I start...I wonder if I was one of the 'hybrid' types...!

I don't think so............I remember you mentioning a few pages back that you ride along that stretch so I was trying to check for the distinctive hair as I went past each person ;-)
    I arrived at my first place of work around 8:50 I think so I suspect I hit SLR about 8:30-8:40 ish as work was up by St James tube station. If you do spot a young lad in a bright yellow Gil jacket astride a black Giant SCR 3 road bike say hello :-)

As for your question LiT I didn't really let him take a lead I was practising the "ride safe" ethic! Given that he squeezed past a taxi with a clearance even I was a bit iffy with (would have meant doing that shuffle with one foot on the kerb) I think I got the better deal as I didn't have to un-clip and got to "take the lane" across the junction!

Speaking of not needing to un-clip I'm really starting to get the hang of trackstanding now, feels great when I nail one! Are any other gamers finding they are trying to do this to save precious seconds at the lights or is it just me?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    christmas party for me now... it's beer O'clock

enjoy the cold cycle back guys
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990

I totally do this, to lull them into a false sense of security and to see what tactic they'll try. Ideally they're thinking "haha, I've overtaken this ponce on his carbon bike", trying just a bit too hard, and unless they're gods I know I'll break them when I sail by 200 yards later. I even fake pedal issues, or tiredness, to make them think I'm easy meat.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    biondino wrote:

To be fair it could be in part due to the fact I can't take my beer so well any more & stay in more since the arrival of kids so my overall lifestyle is much cleaner.

What I find interesting is that I've tended to get fitter in stages, one month my lungs are struggling to keep up with my legs then it flips about and my legs are aching but I'm not out of breath, then it flips again and so on.

Hmm, it probably does have more to do with your lifestyle, as if you're doing the same commute over a period of time you'll plateau rather than getting continually fitter. I've definitely done this - and a dearth of proper, long, challenging weekend rides lately has definitely seen my fitness fall.
  • il_principe
    Clever Pun wrote:
    christmas party for me now... it's beer O'clock

enjoy the cold cycle back guys

Cold? Not when you roll with Castelli my friend.

Enjoy your journey home on public transport.
  • Feltup
    Speaking of not needing to un-clip I'm really starting to get the hang of trackstanding now, feels great when I nail one! Are any other gamers finding they are trying to do this to save precious seconds at the lights or is it just me?

I do this as I invariably cock up clipping back in. The more urgent the need to clip in quickly and efficiently the more likely I will cock it up, sods law I guess.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998

I don't think so............I remember you mentioning a few pages back that you ride along that stretch so I was trying to check for the distinctive hair as I went past each person ;-)
    I arrived at my first place of work around 8:50 I think so I suspect I hit SLR about 8:30-8:40 ish as work was up by St James tube station. If you do spot a young lad in a bright yellow Gil jacket astride a black Giant SCR 3 road bike say hello :-)

I was running late this morning and didn't leave til 8.50 so it wouldn't have been me. I do usually leave a bit earlier though...I will look out for you.

Sadly the distinctive hair is usually well-hidden when I'm on my bike so it's no indicator...the pink/olive bag would be a better bet.

I really do err on the side of caution when it comes to gaps; I don't like getting too close to cars, it's not like you can trust them.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521

I dunno....Can't you girls stop shopping for a minute??? :wink:

Bar end mirrors for your make-up is taking things a bit far as well :wink::wink:

Anyway, it was a lovely afternoon for a few laps of Richmond Park, and having got back from the states this morning I thought it would be a good way to fight off DVT...So instead I've spend the afternoon catching up on this thread and sorting out my holiday photos! Ah well I should get back from my job tomorrow early enough for a ride, and I might not fall asleep if I go tomorrow :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs