Silly commuting racing

Comments

• R34PER wrote:
    The most recent Mr LiT is in his 40's

is it Don Don? :lol:

Lol... no!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    On my usual SE london thrash, saw a guy on a bike that I could not recognise on the FCN chart. Almost swerved into the path of overtaking Bus, such was my open mouthed amazement.

It was a Brompton with Tri bars! Does it get a special category purely for comedy value??

That could be our very own CP, was he 8 foot tall?

Biondio 35 is nothing, Lance is 37 okay so he's slightly different to the rest of us but even so. that said, do you think his knee hurt on cold days :cry:

Just back from a casual ride and oh my! WTF happened to my fitness, I almost puked a lung going over a hump, i've only been off the bike for 10 days.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    biondino wrote:
    Wonder why bikeradar is so quiet today? Personally I am slacking off something rotten.
    I reckon there is considerable lurking going on
    biondino wrote:
    I'll be 35 next birthday and I've grown up with the whole "footballers have to retire at 36 because their bodies stop working" concept, so I'm a bit nervous about how this will manifest itself.
    You young pup, says the 36yr old ;)
    biondino wrote:
    Certainly my stamina is pretty feeble right now - I can burn down the road at good speeds but then need twice as long bimbling along at 15mph to recover. Is this normal?
    The cold, fatigue and lack of motivation can do this. It's been a long SCR season so you deserve a rest/need to MTFU*

* delete as applicable
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Well it's the first time I've managed to jump back on here and I suspect I'll be posting a lot less now as I've been given some wonderful "timesheets" to fill out at work so I have to account for all the "work" I do........thankfully I'm hoping I can say I'm working on my NVQ or other important things during the lul's between fixing faulty computers........

Nothing to report this morning scalp wise but I did come a cropper twice thanks to some rather slippery road surfaces :-(

Thankfully the first was on a quiet residential street, slowing down for the LH turn into another side road, proceed round corner and find the bike wants to go out from underneath me......scrapped SPD and another hole in my trousers but no serious damage.
    Second was in the car park once I arrived! This time it was very graceful and seemed to happen really slowly! Was quite enjoyable :-) Once I got up and tried to get back on I realized the problem, the car park was practically an ice rink! Fine for cars with nice wide tyres but my narrow road bike tyres wheren't having none of it! I walked the bike to the racks, having to keep it fully upright as the slightest lean meant the tyres lost grip and the bike wanting to slip away again! The hybrid and MTB cyclist seemed to be a bit better as I saw a few of them riding in.........

Back up in town breifly tomorrow owing to the fact I left my USB memory stick on a site near Victoria, the good news however is that I'm only on a half day and heading back out to Croydon shortly after (well practically after I've collected it so leaving around 9:30 ish..)
    Comtemplating taking a different route upto town so I can go via the drag strip that runs from Tooting Bec choob station to Stockwell........never know I might even catch DDD :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Well it's the first time I've managed to jump back on here and I suspect I'll be posting a lot less now as I've been given some wonderful "timesheets" to fill out at work so I have to account for all the "work" I do........thankfully I'm hoping I can say I'm working on my NVQ or other important things during the lul's between fixing faulty computers........
    Just so long as you have a 'filling in timesheets' entry in your timesheet. That was always fun...for a given value of fun
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    R34PER wrote:

Lol... no!

But she's obviously into sporty, older men, so methinks I'm already 3/4 of the way there :wink::wink:
  • don_don wrote:
    R34PER wrote:

Lol... no!

But she's obviously into sporty, older men, so methinks I'm already 3/4 of the way there :wink::wink:

:roll:

Sheesh.

Sporty, yes, not necessarily older, but a proviso is the minimum height of 6'2...
  • don_don
    don_don wrote:
    R34PER wrote:

Lol... no!

Sheesh.

Sporty, yes, not necessarily older, but a proviso is the minimum height of 6'2...

What's your position on 6" heels?? I do have quite shapely calves....
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    biondino wrote:
    I'll be 35 next birthday and I've grown up with the whole "footballers have to retire at 36 because their bodies stop working" concept

I'm 36 next birthday. My commute today is more or less the same route I was doing when I was 23-24 except in reverse, and my times and average speeds now are the same and possibly even better than back then. This is after maybe 6? months of regular commuting and not much other training besides that.

Eventually, yes, your age will catch up with you, but I think it's a ways off yet young fellermelad! It's probably just the cold weather and non-age-related tiredness I'd wager.

In other news, I've had a week off the bike now :( After work commitments meant I couldn't ride and today I've got proper below-the-neck flu so I've given it a miss too ... I might get one day's ride in towards the end of this week if I pick up a bit. Don't worry though, it's just a bit of hantavirus, nothing serious like manflu, not yet anyway, so I should pull through.

It's been pretty cold here in Belfast with particularly bad black ice this morning. It took me over an hour to travel the 8 miles to work this morning by car, compared to the usual 35-40 minutes on the bike :( The office bike sheds were empty yesterday and have just one bike today ... the fair weather commuters are all hiding now for sure, only the hardcore remain.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    girv73 wrote:

I'm 36 next birthday. My commute today is more or less the same route I was doing when I was 23-24 except in reverse,

Mate, I see where you are going worng.

Ferris Buellers day off, when they take that Fezza out for a mad days fun then put it up on blocks and run it in reverse to run down the odometer so his Dad doesn't find out and then it - get this - falls off the blocks and drives out through a plate glass window and down a big hil like totally wrecking it.

(That was a punctuation free paragraph for comedic effect, put down your pitchforks and flaming torches grammar loving villagers)

Anyhooo

Running the car in reverse won't run down the odometer, running your commute backwards won't make you younger. This is because at least one leg is always the other way and they cancel to zero.

FACT.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • The most recent Mr LiT is in his 40's and although now retired from professional sport still competes with surprising levels of success.

Woaaahhh, there neddy.

"The most recent Mr LiT?"

I may be wrong, but isn't that the first mention of Mr. LiT in, oooh, almost 2000 posts? :shock:

How come he's been kept so well hidden, eh, eh, eh (I'm hoping the answer's not that you bought him on the internet :wink: )?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg66 wrote:
    The most recent Mr LiT is in his 40's and although now retired from professional sport still competes with surprising levels of success.

Woaaahhh, there neddy.

I may be wrong, but isn't that the first mention of Mr. LiT in, oooh, almost 2000 posts? :shock:

How come he's been kept so well hidden, eh, eh, eh (I'm hoping the answer's not that you bought him on the internet :wink: )?

Yeah, but she sent him back when he developed a fault.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Or has he been "discontinued" eh....EH Black Widow!!!!??? :shock:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • R34PER
    R34PER Posts: 193
    Greg66 wrote:
    I may be wrong, but isn't that the first mention of Mr. LiT in, oooh, almost 2000 posts?

i'm sure there have been varoius posts about the most recent collection of Mr LiTs
  • Greg T
    The most recent Mr LiT is in his 40's and although now retired from professional sport still competes with surprising levels of success.

Snooker or Darts?

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Greg66 wrote:

Woaaahhh, there neddy.

I think someone's jealous... 8)
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Greg T wrote:
    This is because at least one leg is always the other way and they cancel to zero.

Ah but I've been riding the return route backwards so it cancels itself out, leaving only the reverse forward route and so running down the odometer, so to speak. The maths gets a bit hairy but I'm pretty sure it works like that. I plan to bottle it and sell it to ladies in any case.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Errrr....

Most recent as in no longer... but I haven't 'terminated' him, didn't get him off t'interweb (I understand that's mostly for obtaining ukrainian women), and water-skiing not darts or pool.

And I'll have you know he has come up in conversation on here once before... if I could be @rsed I'd find the post! He's not been relevant more than twice though. Pay attention, people.

And don_don, my view on 6-inch heels is that I should be wearing them.

• Greg T
    my view on 6-inch heels is that I should be wearing them.

What's your postion on flying helmets and wet celery?

• Greg T wrote:

Where are you going with this, Mr T? Don_don posed the question... I merely answered it.

In the same charitable spirit, flying helmets are useful for flying, they hold the headset in place and are far better than those silly bone domes unless you're in a jet, and wet celery ought to be dried...
  • don_don
    Greg T wrote:

Uncanny...

That was my next question :shock:
  • didn't get him off t'interweb (I understand that's mostly for obtaining ukrainian women)

And Thai women.

The uncharitable streak in me (yes, I know it's hard to believe there is one, but it's there I'm afraid) always assumes that any pub that serves Thai food is owned by a landlord who bought his wife over the internet.

And don't get me started on Thai restaurants :wink:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • And don_don, my view on 6-inch heels is that I should be wearing them.

But, shurely, that would make you almost 5'10", which is far too tall for a laydee ... :o

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I used to love it when my 6-foot ex would wear heels. I'm sure there's a lot to be read into that.

LiT, I'm sure you won't get anyone round here questioning the wisdom of you wearing 6 inch heels :)
  • Greg66 wrote:
    didn't get him off t'interweb (I understand that's mostly for obtaining ukrainian women)

And Thai women.

The uncharitable streak in me (yes, I know it's hard to believe there is one, but it's there I'm afraid) always assumes that any pub that serves Thai food is owned by a landlord who bought his wife over the internet.

And don't get me started on Thai restaurants :wink:

Yeah, the english fat balding landlord with the tired-looking thai lady providing the cuisine from a sweatshop... er... kitchen out back does rather imply an order from www.thaibrides.com

I like to think that when the owner of a thai restaurant is thai that they at least didn't order each other online. I note the absence of www.thaigrooms.com...

However, I may be being naive....
  • biondino wrote:
    I used to love it when my 6-foot ex would wear heels. I'm sure there's a lot to be read into that.

You're a bit like Bernie Ecclestone? :D

(without the £££)

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    And don_don, my view on 6-inch heels is that I should be wearing them.

But, shurely, that would make you almost 5'10", which is far too tall for a laydee ... :o

Intimidated by tall women, eh? :twisted:
  • biondino wrote:

LiT, I'm sure you won't get anyone round here questioning the wisdom of you wearing 6 inch heels :)

6-inch heels make me around 6'1"... which is rather tall for a girl. I thank my lucky stars I'm not any taller in flats than I already am.

TBH I don't wear 6" heels unless I'm planning to be mean/rude/patronising/generally unpleasant in a business environment and need some height to offset my youth. Glasses also help make me look older.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    on the fixed today and I took 3 roadies (2 in one movement as there was simultaneous scalping action)... one tried to put up a fight but a wry smile and flick of the legs and he was history

just ordered myself the rapha winter training kit as a celebration of me
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

• Love it. Click on that, through to www.thailandmusings.com

On the splash page, at the top of the list of the 10 Most Popular Posts?

10 Clues That She is a Ladyboy or Katoey

Who would have guessed that that would be such a hot topic?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A