Comments

• Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    girv73 wrote:
    Littigator wrote:
    Oh was she now :wink::wink::wink:

Yeah, so much ... excitement over a plastic tree :roll:

Cheeky grin and some tinsel and you are quids in I reckon :wink:
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Mrs G is certainly not complaining about the changes that regular cycling has wrought on Mr G ;)
    Today is a good day to ride
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I play a lot of computer games and this (below) is a paraphrased version of a poem (by Alan Seeger) used for the advert of Gears of war2, that I have tweaked further and now has put me in the mood for some serious scalp wars on the way home:

You enjoying Gears DDD? I've been getting stuck in. Looking forward to Resistance 2 as well. Just finished Dead Space and still working through Far Cry 2 as well!

God I'm a closet geek...

:cry: I actually don't have Gears of War 2 yet and I don't know why! I think I may combust when I actually purchase and its that fear of death that is preventing me from buying it. :cry:

I'm currently working through GTA IV (I encoutered the 'Red ring of death' soon after I bought GTA), Fable and Lost Odyssey (sp - or Biondino may pounce on me again).

Planning on getting Fallout 3 as well.

I'm more an RPG person and a sucker for games involving elves, goblins, orc's and the protagonist swinging axe into antagonist face. - So Elder Scrolls, despite completing it last year, will continue to be played until the next instalment is made/released or something better comes along.
    [/quote]
    GregT wrote:

DDD

I thought you had hung up your cleats and retired claiming you were a massive wood clanger and couldn't hack it....

Here you are singing war songs and rubbing a mixture of tabasco and vicks vapo run into your nostrils....

Will you make up your mind.

It wasn’t that I couldn’t hack it! It was because for a few days it was actually winter and not safe to ride on bomb-crater filled roads at high velocities alongside the Brixton/Streatham/Norbury/Thorton Heath motorists who, collectively, have the mentality of a spoiled 2 year old. Let alone being ever vigilant and ready to fend off ASBO the Pitbull. My commute was vastly becoming a matter of survival.

But right now as we are enjoying the benefits of a global warmed winter and I no longer have to worry about cycling in an area where an ASBO holds more credibility than a Degree or job. I can once again enjoy all the pleasure of SCR in its absolute glory and I plan to submerge myself in its glorious decadence.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    girv73 wrote:
    Mrs G is certainly not complaining about the changes that regular cycling has wrought on Mr G ;)

Has it shrivelled up to the extent you're too embarrassed to pester her for nookie? Or is it that your sperm count is now so low that annoying contraception is no longer necessary?

That IS the Mr G you're talking about, right?
  • biondino
    Effing high street ken... I give up all scalping once I'm there.

Were you really on your trek? Jesus. Must engage brain. Can't even read.

BTW, which way did you go from Chiswick to HSK? I have been considering changing my route to go that way for a while - how was it?

And I know, my bum is famous. And large. :wink:

"Voluptuous and womanly" is a better way of putting it.

I go in a dead straight line from Chiswick to HSK - the gf lives off Chiswick High Street so I head down there, down King Street, slight diversion for the Hammersmith one way system (not fun at the best of times), then due East the ENE on Hammersmith Road which become High Street Ken.
  • girv73
    biondino wrote:

I know it's the one you're thinking about.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    girv73 wrote:
    biondino wrote:

I know it's the one you're thinking about.

:lol::lol::lol:
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    edited November 2008
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I play a lot of computer games and this (below) is a paraphrased version of a poem (by Alan Seeger) used for the advert of Gears of war2, that I have tweaked further and now has put me in the mood for some serious scalp wars on the way home:

You enjoying Gears DDD? I've been getting stuck in. Looking forward to Resistance 2 as well. Just finished Dead Space and still working through Far Cry 2 as well!

God I'm a closet geek...

:cry: I actually don't have Gears of War 2 yet and I don't know why! I think I may combust when I actually purchase and its that fear of death that is preventing me from buying it. :cry:

I'm currently working through GTA IV (I encoutered the 'Red ring of death' soon after I bought GTA), Fable and Lost Odyssey (sp - or Biondino may pounce on me again).

Planning on getting Fallout 3 as well.

I'm more an RPG person and a sucker for games involving elves, goblins, orc's and the protagonist swinging axe into antagonist face. - So Elder Scrolls, despite completing it last year, will continue to be played until the next instalment is made/released or something better comes along.
    GregT wrote:

DDD

I thought you had hung up your cleats and retired claiming you were a massive wood clanger and couldn't hack it....

Here you are singing war songs and rubbing a mixture of tabasco and vicks vapo run into your nostrils....

Will you make up your mind.

It wasn’t that I couldn’t hack it! It was because for a few days it was actually winter and not safe to ride on bomb-crater filled roads at high velocities alongside the Brixton/Streatham/Norbury/Thorton Heath motorists who, collectively, have the mentality of a spoiled 2 year old. Let alone being ever vigilant and ready to fend off ASBO the Pitbull. My commute was vastly becoming a matter of survival.

But right now as we are enjoying the benefits of a global warmed winter and I no longer have to worry about cycling in an area where an ASBO holds more credibility than a Degree or job. I can once again enjoy all the pleasure of SCR in its absolute glory and I plan to submerge myself in its glorious decadence. [/quote]

I've warned people about football chat on here and now we have 'gamer' chat...."and I was like 'ooh boomheadshot' I got 6 points for like totally powning this noob who couldn't even load his Mk76a thunder rifle quick enough man....SHUTTHEFCUKUP...NO GAMER TALK!!!!

pant pant snort...puff puff

Sorry, got a little tense there...i am NOT having a good day so far!

Realised as I merrily set off for work this morning that I was missing a nut...painful I know...and I had no idea how long it had been missing. I had to go to shudder an Evans to get it sorted. So my commute was at granny pace and hence I've got to the office in a rather charged up frame of mind.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Sincere apologies for dragging the topic of convo away from Mr G and little Mr G, but frankly I was starting to get a bit disturbed...

I had a rare Rage Explosiontm this morning. Some twunt of a licensed minicab driver decided to turn left without indicating, cutting me up time and coming to stop with his bumper resting against my right leg. I had a mouthful of phlegm which I'd been planning on getting rid of, so as the red mist descended I expectorated on his windscreen and made some rather loud and pointed comments about his girth, visual impairment and predilection for self-abuse.

Fcuking minicabs. Why are they all driven by myopic, homicidal, obese Cnuts? He's lucky his window was wound up.

Rant over, it's been a long week.
  • biondino wrote:

I go in a dead straight line from Chiswick to HSK - the gf lives off Chiswick High Street so I head down there, down King Street, slight diversion for the Hammersmith one way system (not fun at the best of times), then due East the ENE on Hammersmith Road which become High Street Ken.

Very euphemistic!

Hmmm, the problem fo rme with that route is that I have to go a little bit further and cross the chiswick roundabout, which I don't really like doing, to 'cross' the M4 and then turn up South Ealing Road. Also gmaps is showing me that I have to use the A4 near Ravenscourt Park - really?

I'm sure it's no worse than the shepherd's bush one though.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Sincere apologies for dragging the topic of convo away from Mr G and little Mr G, but frankly I was starting to get a bit disturbed...

I had a rare Rage Explosiontm this morning. Some twunt of a licensed minicab driver decided to turn left without indicating, cutting me up time and coming to stop with his bumper resting against my right leg. I had a mouthful of phlegm which I'd been planning on getting rid of, so as the red mist descended I expectorated on his windscreen and made some rather loud and pointed comments about his girth, visual impairment and predilection for self-abuse.

Fcuking minicabs. Why are they all driven by myopic, homicidal, obese Cnuts? He's lucky his window was wound up.

Rant over, it's been a long week.

Jeez

points at JB

He's scary when he get's riled isn't he!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • girv73
    Sincere apologies for dragging the topic of convo away from Mr G and little Mr G

Oi!

• Fcuking minicabs. Why are they all driven by myopic, homicidal, obese Cnuts? He's lucky his window was wound up.

Yeah, why is that? They're so much worse than black cabs. They should be forced to do some advanced driver training or something.

On the subject of bad drivers, I had a scooter (delivery box and L plate) turn across me last night, then see me and stop right in my path! I was very glad it wasn't raining.

Stupid morotbikes/scooters. No bruise but my arm still hurts. :evil:
  • biondino
    biondino wrote:

Very euphemistic!

Hmmm, the problem fo rme with that route is that I have to go a little bit further and cross the chiswick roundabout, which I don't really like doing, to 'cross' the M4 and then turn up South Ealing Road. Also gmaps is showing me that I have to use the A4 near Ravenscourt Park - really?

It's not a euphemism! But then I definitely favour womanliness. Men who go for women with small bums are basically gay.

There's no reason why you should have to go near the A4 at any point, no. And looking at the map, could you not cut the trip on South Ealing Road short by turning left onto Pope's Lane, then right at Acton Town tube?
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    To offset all the negativity at the moment, I would like to thank the very nice lady who let me out of the side road last night. I had been waiting a couple of minutes already for a gap in the traffic and the one she gave me meant I had a pretty clear run through the first half of town.

I would also like to thank the van driver (yes van driver!) for letting me get across from the left into the right turn lane on the A4. It can be a real sprint to make that sometimes!

All in all a really good commute with my average speed back up to 20mph, happy days!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    biondino wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Very euphemistic!

It's not a euphemism! But then I definitely favour womanliness. Men who go for women with small bums are basically gay.

There's no reason why you should have to go near the A4 at any point, no. And looking at the map, could you not cut the trip on South Ealing Road short by turning left onto Pope's Lane, then right at Acton Town tube?

David Beckham is gay? :shock:

The skirt incident really gave it away though...
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • biondino wrote:

Very euphemistic!

Yeah! Take that, small-arsed women! :D

I like my bum. It may not be small but it's solid. I'd rather what I've got than a flat bum.

Aaaaaanyway.

Ah, I see what you mean, head up the 406. Still have to use the Chiswick roundabout, but I guess it's worth a go - I've avoided it in the past because I always see the stopped traffic when I cross it further up. I'm going to try it on the way home. Fun to try new routes. :D
  • Well I had an eventful journey home last night. I pass through an asbo haven along an old railway line where there are regularly gangs of kids racing stolen motorbikes (scrotorbikes i call them). I got to said area, marked with a huge graffiti sign "ryder brow solbiers" (spelling as quoted), and there was a gang of them on the bike lane in the middle. Nothing new there except it was pitch dark and freezing which they usually don't like. Aaand, lying on the ground was this poor kid who had been riding on or hit by one of the bikes. He had lost a finger, and his right leg was shattered worse than david busts. His foot was pointing backwards and there were bones poking out through the skin in 3 different places. The scrotes had got rid of the bike before ringing an ambukance, which took an hour to arrive, and could only get to a mile away. By then the kid was blue and feeling faint. The police arrived, and, I kid you not, started badgering the kid about where the bike had gone, was it stolen etc. etc. And I was the only one with a decent light which they propositioned. Even worse, when the ambulancemen arrived they flapped a bit and said they had never seen anything as bad. I ended up phoning a friend who is an A&E consultant to get advice, and had to help straighten the leg to get the splint on. It was utterly utterly revolting. It was an hour and a half before we finally got him into the ambulance and I had to clean his blood off my boots when I got home.
    Sorry for this first post in SCR but I have enjoyed it for ages and I'm traumatised. FM they are dangerous things those bikes.
    Dan
  • biondino
    Ah, I see what you mean, head up the 406. Still have to use the Chiswick roundabout, but I guess it's worth a go - I've avoided it in the past because I always see the stopped traffic when I cross it further up. I'm going to try it on the way home. Fun to try new routes. :D

Nope, you miss the Chiswick roundabout entirely this way. You cross the A406 rather than use it, and turn onto Bollo Lane at Acton Town.

Or rather, if you're on your way home, you head down Chiswick High Road, then take the right turning onto Acton Lane, just beyond Turnham Green, and head off left when you get to Chiswick Park tube, then left at the end onto Gunnersbury Lane, which becomes Pope's Lane.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Jen J wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Very euphemistic!

David Beckham is gay? :shock:

The skirt incident really gave it away though...

Oh my God he's like "Soooo gay"
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    chapeau flattythehurdler for sticking around and helping a lot of people wouldn't, BTW glad I'd just finished my lunch.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    After my recent spate of battles, interupted I finally had it all today, a worthy opponent, highs, lows and an eventual victory. So, sit back and enjoy the tale.

Once upon a time Wrath Rob was riding along a West London backstreet called Lotts Road. The traffic was light, scooters buzzed lazily in the distance. Up ahead he saw the Big Blue Racer, riding his silver steed (a TriAndRun machine), pootling along and minding his own business. Now the Big Blue Racer is called this because he is not small, was large legs and was dressed head to foot in blue, from his blue long sleeved top to his blue shorts (Ok, so he had a day-glo gillet on but lets not ruin the story). As BBR was listenting to his iPod he didn't hear our hero approach. His first warning was feeling his scalp being removed from his head.

Now, BBR wan't hapy with WR for this and set off in persuit. However, he had left his magical MTFU potion at home and could only cling on to the brave WR's rear wheel for mile after mile, all the way to Vauxhal's Cross where he put in a game bid to retrieve his scalp. His joy at passing WR was short lived as our hero had remembered his MTFU potion and not only held the gap but showed BBR how to cycle fast up a hill (well, the slope of Lambeth Bridge). BBR revelaed himself to not be worthy of consideration of a Knight of the SCR and used the most wicked Spell of Red Light Jumping to pull away along Lambeth Bridge Road. A final set of TLs stopped his anticts and our hero and BBR parted company just down the road, justice had seemed to be done.

However, the tale does not end here. Cutting through the back streets to get to the bottom of Col de Southwark Bridge, who should the hero of the tale come across again? BBR, back from the vanquished! Now, picture the scene, the bridge looms before our hero and foe like a cliff, the chattering crowd of other cyclists hush in anticipation as the lights cycle their way through to green. An interloper jumps the lights just before the off, has this new protagonist spoilt the party?

No, our hero and foe dispatch the interloper together. BBR is throwing everything at his gears and steals an early lead, could this be the end for WR? Aha, you're forgetting that WR had remembered his magic MTFU potion. As the bridge flattens a little WR push/pulls the cranks to their limit and sails past, stretching his lead to the crown of the bridge. Victory!

At the TLs on the other side, BBR refuses to acknowledge our hero, proof enough that justice was done and our hero prevailed.

:wink:

Fair play to the guy, he looked like a rower and was definitely a match for me. He gave the game away by obviously trying but was throwing down a fast pace once past me but couldn't keep it up for the hills. I'll be keeping an eye out for him again as it was a good battle.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Hi all,

Just as an update to my white van man run-in, i gave a statement to the police this morning - they actually seemed to take it quite seriously and said they were going to look at the cctv footage and check out the details of the van. Will see what happens, even if nothing comes of it, it was good to have them take it seriously - gives a bit of closure for me if nothing else.

didnt ride in today as had a meeting - will be back on SCR scalping form next week - look out for a black cannondale MTB with gold hope hubs (extra-clicky) bearing down on you! I wear my etape du tour ruck-sack just to give me some roadie credibility...

G
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    gmillsy wrote:
    Hi all,

Just as an update to my white van man run-in, i gave a statement to the police this morning - they actually seemed to take it quite seriously and said they were going to look at the cctv footage and check out the details of the van. Will see what happens, even if nothing comes of it, it was good to have them take it seriously - gives a bit of closure for me if nothing else.

didnt ride in today as had a meeting - will be back on SCR scalping form next week - look out for a black cannondale MTB with gold hope hubs (extra-clicky) bearing down on you! I wear my etape du tour ruck-sack just to give me some roadie credibility...

G

Glad the police are taking it seriously.

Right as an etaper what are you doing commuting on an MTB? Heretic.
  • Had a rather interesting one today. Due to me being far to kind I agreed to cover for a friend on a site I thought I'd escaped off yesterday! This was all done on the understanding that I could leave as soon as he arrived, which happened to be before lunch!

Anticipating this I had consumed a packet of McCoy's finest Salt and Malt Vinegar crisps to help avoid an energy slump on my 13 mile ride home. As I set off up Portsmouth Road heading towards Kingston, not even 200 yards ridden, a little whippet on a racer nips past!

It was just starting to rain so the road was already a bit slippy and I had a rather heavy backpack on (full gear which i had already carried home last night as I thought I wasn't back there today - so shoes, trousers and shirt!). He was considerably less weighed down as all he was carrying on his back was a hand pump! Further investigation revealed a rather chunky rear hub which I "think" was actually a power meter reading! He was decked out in full waterproof kit. I kept up with him for the rest of the road before I turned off and would love to have had a go if I had some more food inside me! I could feel my legs where really heavy for the whole ride and just really couldn't give the oomph :-( It was nice tho to see the return journey from this place in the light of day tho and with very little traffic on!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gmillsy wrote:
    Hi all,

G

Glad the police are taking it seriously.

MTBing is my first bike-love (i race expert every now and again), but do more road biking now to be honest due to living in london. My road bike is too dainty for the commute anyway - think it's better to use the mtb. plus it means i have a nice high FCN (ive also got knobbly tyres on too) so my commute is a bit of a scalp fest :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • itboffin

Talking of heretics there's a picture on the cyclosports website of some nutter doing the Highclere on a MTB :shock:
  • biondino wrote:

Nope, you miss the Chiswick roundabout entirely this way. You cross the A406 rather than use it, and turn onto Bollo Lane at Acton Town.

Or rather, if you're on your way home, you head down Chiswick High Road, then take the right turning onto Acton Lane, just beyond Turnham Green, and head off left when you get to Chiswick Park tube, then left at the end onto Gunnersbury Lane, which becomes Pope's Lane.

Right, I have written this on my hand and am off on my new route home! Hurrah!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Ha ha - my first proper scalp tonight - long stretch of cycle track alongside the river - straight and flat - ideal for the chase - came over the bridge and up the sharp slope onto the track just as a guy on a Giant CRS was going past - followed him a sort distance and he realised I was after him, looked over his shoulder and stood on the pedals - game on - switched up the gears and slowly pulled alongside him - nodded - said 'Good evening' and put the hammer down - I was 100m ahead by the time it came to my turn off 8)
  • And I got home safely, albeit a bit damp. I made a friend, who told me how to navigate the Chiswick high road and offered to guide me along the A4 to the South Ealing road, which sounds like innuendo when I type it on here, but isn't... I politely declined.

It's quite good, hillier (for london) than my other route which can only be a good thing, and I'm sure it will get faster as I get used to it.

In annoying news, my allegedy waterproof DHB overshoes emphatically are not. Water resistant, maybe, waterproof, no.