snooks Posts: 1,521
    Shme you're missing today...looks luverly out there now :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Tomorrow I shall 'cry havok and let slip the dogs of war!'

The phrase 'cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war' actually was an instruction to the soldiers ('dogs of war') from the officers, not to wage battle, but to pillage, burn and ruin villages already defeated, to 'Havoc!' was to cause chaos, specifically in that manner.

Not a great battle-cry!

It comes from the middle ages... if you read the bit of Julius Ceaesar it makes sense.

That's my second shakespeare-related post in as many days.

I'll get me coat. :oops:
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

The phrase 'cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war' actually was an instruction to the soldiers ('dogs of war') from the officers, not to wage battle, but to pillage, burn and ruin villages already defeated, to 'Havoc!' was to cause chaos, specifically in that manner.

Not a great battle-cry!

It comes from the middle ages... if you read the bit of Julius Ceaesar it makes sense.

Thank you for that Stephen Fry-esque outburst LiT ;-)
    I started watching Fight Club the other night when I realized it was on and it really reminded me of "The Game", especially with our rules such as "Never admit your playing" are quite similiar to the "Never talk about Fight Club" rules! Even right down to when they are standing on the train eyeing up opponents :-)

Glad to hear your bits have arrived DDD, although the lack of saddle and seatpost should have just been a reason to MTFU and ride in regardless, also wouldn't the seatpost and saddle from the M2 have done for the time being??
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452

It is a cheery passage....

ANTONY:
    Blood and destruction shall be so in use
    And dreadful objects so familiar
    That mothers shall but smile when they behold
    Their infants quarter'd with the hands of war;
    All pity choked with custom of fell deeds:
    And Caesar's spirit, ranging for revenge,
    With Ate by his side come hot from hell,
    Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice
    Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
    That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
    With carrion men, groaning for burial.
  • The ULTIMATE scalp.

Cycling home in the rain late last night, past the velodrome, wiggling towards didsbury, got overtaken by very fast shaven legged roadie with slipstream socks (the pringle ones). MTFU'd and thought I'd at least keep him honest. Kept him at a distance before catching him at lights and overtaking just before I turned off which is cheating I know, but he was on a brand new specialized and was in full british cycling kit and was obviously one of the pros on his way home from the velodrome. Now short of taking Alberto Contador, I don't see how that scalp can ever be beaten. (I was on a very dirty functional fixed- not fakenger just practical winter commuter). I think he was a bit pissed off.
    Dan
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Not a great battle-cry!

Actually it was Star Trek "Wrath of Khan" wot invented it. Shakespeare just plagiarised.
    Dan
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I started watching Fight Club the other night when I realized it was on and it really reminded me of "The Game", especially with our rules such as "Never admit your playing" are quite similiar to the "Never talk about Fight Club" rules! Even right down to when they are standing on the train eyeing up opponents :-)
    I was thinking this when the rules were restated on Litts journo thread:
    Rule 0: Don't talk about SCR
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited November 2008
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Not a great battle-cry!

I'll get me coat.

Wow...

:shock: I think someone may need to get laid :shock:

Someone is taking it all a little too seriously... wound up far too tight and needs to obviously let their hair down.... :roll:

Lol!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Glad to hear your bits have arrived DDD, although the lack of saddle and seatpost should have just been a reason to MTFU and ride in regardless, also wouldn't the seatpost and saddle from the M2 have done for the time being??

I'm sure it wouldn't have fit.

Riding without a seat for me isn't safe (I was worried about clipping in and out) and that is against the first rules of SCR
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I started watching Fight Club the other night when I realized it was on and it really reminded me of "The Game", especially with our rules such as "Never admit your playing" are quite similiar to the "Never talk about Fight Club" rules! Even right down to when they are standing on the train eyeing up opponents

err guys, that's because Greg's original seminal post (*) was a homage to Fight Club!

no coincidence here

* Surely OSP is a double entendre of epic proportions

J
  • snooks
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Not a great battle-cry!

I'll get me coat.

Wow...

:shock:I think someone may need to get laid :shock:

Someone is taking it all a little too seriously... wound up far too tight and needs to obviously let there hair down.... :roll:

Lol!

Just cos you've got a mix-in-your-quoties doesn't mean you have to take that attitude young man

You wuz wrong L_i_t, was right! Deal with it

Preferably without worrying whether Ms thought has or has not been getting any action recently
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • DonDaddyD
    edited November 2008
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Not a great battle-cry!

Just for clarification

I know the phrase and its context. I've read the book. I now how its meaning developed. History (along with mythology, theatre and philosophy) is among my loves. I might add that behind my humble unusual exterior and perchant for lewd comments, comics, computer games, bad grammar, poor spelling (its the internet after all not an Annual Plan submitted to my Manager or dissertation) is a person who has in fact been educated continues to do so and does read. Just for clarification of course.

To continue:

My saddle, post and light with knight rider scrolling effect were stolen. I am enraged, I demand retribution for Donovan. I've spent a commute stuck under an armpit and some women continuously coughed in my face. At my most infuriated what part of cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war doesn't express how I feel right now and what the darkest depths of me, my id, would love to do?

"Am I not Thanos!? did I not butcher the women who gave me birth, who force-fed me into this hell called life. Is not the wake of my passing crimson with the blood of my enemies and allies alike"

Edit: Sorry if that came across as a bit uppity but this isn't the first time someone has felt the need to correct me on this site.

Given the lightheared platform I think its a poor showing. I come here to have light hearted fun, not to have the accuracy of what type and quote scrutinized. But equally being the well rounded individual I am I completely understand that if Shakespear is one of your loves you felt compelled to do so. Just as if I found you misrepresenting/mis-quoting the work of Mark Millar, JMS or Jim Starlin, I would rightly correct you (probably save it for my comic forum though). So no harm or foul.
    Food Chain number = 4

• ... fakenger ...
    Translation?
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    DDD,

after reading your last post can I just confirm that it was YOU suggesting SOMEONE ELSE needed to get laid?

:lol:

J
  • jedster wrote:
    DDD,

after reading your last post can I just confirm that it was YOU suggesting SOMEONE ELSE needed to get laid?

J

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Also; 400 pages?

The first rule of SCR is being broken on an epic scale.
  • Who'll get the 6000th reply? That's coming up too.
  • snooks
    What??
    The Rules wrote:
    1/ No Dangerous Manoeuvres (Don’t be a danger to any other road users or yourself) Falling off causes pain to you and others around you, don’t do it! (oh and you loose yer points)

Where? when?...or did you mean.... the...unspoken 1st rule....*WINK* ;)

Oh and yay to the 400th page!!! :D
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064

As i've already said Greg T & Greg 66 are the same person.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • snooks
    I've seen them both in the same place at the same time...I think :wink:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • snooks wrote:
    I've seen them both in the same place at the same time...I think :wink:

Actually, at one drinks, T had to leave, then 66 arrived very shortly thereafter....

Very interesting...
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    edited November 2008
    edhornby wrote:
    Job done, then as I turned off into my street he shouted at me 'it's not a race you know !'

oh yes it is my friend....

I think you've failed one of the primary rules of SCR, its not a race as you shouldn't be seen as trying! If he thought you were racing then you gave the game away and have to return his scalp on bended knee, offering your own in return :wink:

This morning was wet, not the nicest ride and seemingly devoid of foes. I think everyone was being sensible and taking it easy, it certainly seemed very sippery out there. I almost came a cropper coming past Waterloo station, slipping down a 1 inch ridge in the road almost had me sprawled across the taxi next to me.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    There's nothing funny about multiple personality disorder.

Just ask the people I've got locked up in my cellar.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    edited November 2008
    Talking of quotes, i occasionaly recall this one when snapping out of a pootle/enjoying the scenery and into MTFU mode.

From Conan:

Mongol General: Hao! Dai ye! We won again! This is good, but what is best in life?

Mongol: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

Mongol General: Wrong! Conan! What is best in life?

Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women. :twisted:
  • DonDaddyD
    edited November 2008
    Must be flame DDD day... b*stards :roll:

Can't seem to make a post these days without some criticism from someone. Gone are the days when you could have fun interacting online...
    Snooks wrote:
    Just cos you've got a mix-in-your-quoties doesn't mean you have to take that attitude young man

You wuz wrong L_i_t, was right! Deal with it

Preferably without worrying whether Ms thought has or has not been getting any action recently

I never actually said she was wrong.
    jedster wrote:
    DDD,

J

I live with my girlfriend.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Greg T
    I'm racing for the 6,000th post line

• Greg T
    4 to go, I'm in front going well

• Greg T
    3 up but I hear the clicking of lurkers

• Greg T
    It's going to the line

• Greg T
    PODIUM!!!!