Silly commuting racing

Comments

• You can find all of someone's past posts and then search them - took about 30 seconds!

Chapeau :-)
    I didn't realize we had that function!

IT people can do some clever stuff, we are generally not very good at explaining ourselves.

Had a roadie acknowledge the fact he was drafting me this morning into that howling gale that was Camden. The price you pay for puckering up and doing ones bit for the SCR

Took sordid delight in pasting a knobbly mtb (ok food chan 218) but he set off from the lights, not quite rljing....., in such a bouncy I'm so chuffing something. I know no points and should be above this but smiled massively as I put him to the sword up the Chinger Hill. Need to concentrate on proper prey and stop this nonsense

Greg66 - your comment about getting your revenge in a few weeks. (can't be b*ggered to hack back several pages and do the proper quote thing. I assume that this is your usual attitude at the lights but search and replace 'few weeks' for few seconds.!!
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I think I'm hearing phantom drafting fairies! Riding along the Embankment tonight I was positive there was someone sucking my wind yet when I got to the next lights the closest rider was miles back. Strange. The only cyclist of interest was a roadie who seemed determined to ride on the drops and disobey traffic lights and have poor lane discipline. Oi, shorty in the black and red, that lane means turn left at Albert Bridge, not swing right across the road and cut me up. You are an arse.

Sometimes we're our own worst enemies...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    serial rlj'ers are really starting to do my noodle in

I took a fixie clean and sweatly he then pushed past the stop line edging, edging and starts off before it turns... I start off and do him again tsk

the roadie who pissed passed me as I was stationary waiting for the lights to change, every time I caught him up we got to lights I waited while he made his way onward... this got pretty fu<king frustrating until there was a stretch enough for me to flog myself to catch up and then pass him as he's standing up gunning it as he'd seen me get close a few times... Felt good about stretching him fair while he cheated and then actually binning him good and proper.

Later on I'm starting to feel the headwind and feel I'm slowing then I see the shadow.. Arrgh I've got a bogey... probably a drafter but I'm not risking it so put the legs through their paces and he's gone and all of a sudden I'm up on and past a roadie.. a little further aheadis their training partner who is waiting and has massive thighs I suspect he'd do me but he's waiting and I can see the anguish on his face as I pass unchallenged... another day my man
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Clever Pun wrote:

I took a fixie clean and sweatly he then pushed past the stop line edging, edging and starts off before it turns... I start off and do him again tsk

the roadie who pissed passed me as I was stationary waiting for the lights to change, every time I caught him up we got to lights I waited while he made his way onward... this got pretty fu<king frustrating until there was a stretch enough for me to flog myself to catch up and then pass him as he's standing up gunning it as he'd seen me get close a few times... Felt good about stretching him fair while he cheated and then actually binning him good and proper.

Later on I'm starting to feel the headwind and feel I'm slowing then I see the shadow.. Arrgh I've got a bogey... probably a drafter but I'm not risking it so put the legs through their paces and he's gone and all of a sudden I'm up on and past a roadie.. a little further aheadis their training partner who is waiting and has massive thighs I suspect he'd do me but he's waiting and I can see the anguish on his face as I pass unchallenged... another day my man

:D That was good reading.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

:D That was good reading.

8) even though I was cream crackered I still managed to collect a few good scalps
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Hmm, all gone quiet. Any of you fellow Embankmenteers off shortly or are you tucked up in your slippers holding a glass of wine?

erm bubbly actually :oops:

Quite a lively night by all accounts, but the traffic along Embankment is an absolute bugger at the moment - I couldn't set off in pursuit of a roadie after Chelsea Bridge. The average speed is dropping.

Has anyone seen a swift chap on a flat bar tourer thingy with thick tyres and wearing trainers? He was pushing 27-28mph westbound with a tailwind this morning past the Morpeth Arms and was dishing out some pain to roadies through Death Star Canyon this evening. Chapeau, sir.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Hmm, all gone quiet. Any of you fellow Embankmenteers off shortly or are you tucked up in your slippers holding a glass of wine?

erm bubbly actually :oops:

Quite a lively night by all accounts, but the traffic along Embankment is an absolute bugger at the moment - I couldn't set off in pursuit of a roadie after Chelsea Bridge. The average speed is dropping.

Has anyone seen a swift chap on a flat bar tourer thingy with thick tyres and wearing trainers? He was pushing 27-28mph westbound with a tailwind this morning past the Morpeth Arms and was dishing out some pain to roadies through Death Star Canyon this evening. Chapeau, sir.

WTF now who's been drinking you or me? 28mph with thick tyres and trainers... :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    I can crank 26mph for short periods on my MTB...
    Today is a good day to ride
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    WTF now who's been drinking you or me? 28mph with thick tyres and trainers... :shock:

Yep. He's a bit swift allright. He begins to tire at the end of Death Star Canyon, but not after he's collected a few scalps.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wrath Rob
    Did anyone else come across the Pedestrian Suicide Pact Cult today? The Cult's members were out in force trying to throw themselves under my wheels. I had to shout 5 times at these crazy cultists to find someone else who would be more willing to knock them down and then give them a good shoeing to the groinal area for being so effing blind and dumb.

On the plus side I had a good scrap (though I came off worse) with a guy with mad hair that looked like Marco Simoncelli, the 250 Moto GP champion:

229926_Metis+Gilera+rider+Marco+Simoncelli+250cc-1280x960-aug29.jpg.preview.jpg

While he was fully lycra'd up he was on a slicked MTB cranking out about 1mph more than me. Traffic slowed him down and I got by but I couldn't hold him off. We parted at the south side of Lambeth Bridge, me with the nagging feeling that I'd been done :( My excuse was that my legs are still paying the price for list nights WindRunner job :oops:
  • cjcp
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    While he was fully lycra'd up he was on a slicked MTB cranking out about 1mph more than me. Traffic slowed him down and I got by but I couldn't hold him off. We parted at the south side of Lambeth Bridge, me with the nagging feeling that I'd been done :( My excuse was that my legs are still paying the price for list nights WindRunner job :oops:

Did he have a team kit on?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Hi all,

first post in SCR, but i've been lurking on the thread for a few months - very much enjoy the tales of scalping and being scalped.

anyway, sorry if this is a "do i have a case" post, but i was wondering if i could have some advice re: an unpleasant incident at vauxhall cross this morning.

Anyway - riding from wandsworth road towards vauxhall, a white van (reg: LE57 FHK) cut into the lane i was riding in, forcing me to brake hard. I knocked on the side of the van to say "i am here". At the second set of lights, i was in the ASL and the white van man drove his van forward to knock the back of my tire. He then got out of his van and approached me in a threatening manner and pushed me twice. I didnt say anything (other than "you nearly knocked me off") and didnt push him back (mainly because i was cr*pping myself). This went on until the other cyclists around told him to move on, and the lights changed so he got back in and drove off.

I was obviously pretty shaken by this - he didnt hit me (aside from the pushing), or anything like that, but i have no doubt that had it not been broad daylight and with loads of people around that he would have probably given me a shoeing.

Given that i got his number plate, and vauxhall must be CCTV'd up to the max, does anyone think it's worth making a formal complaint? i dont really think the guy's behaviour is acceptable - especially getting out of the van to push me. i don't want him to think he can get away with it and the next cyclist he cuts up not be as lucky as i was to get away.

anyway, apologies for the bleak post, on a scalping note - i had an excellent tussle with a messenger (with massive dreadlocks riding a rasta coloured bike too - bonus points?) yesterday down wandsworth road - he then proceded to do a textbook trackstand at the lights by westminster bridge for about 2 mins - not even a wobble - 'nuff respect

G
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Have we had a FCN ruling on BMXs?

Clearly it should be about 30 or something - grannies on shoppers should get them on a flat drag.

I know what you're thinking, what kind of mentallist would commute on a BMX? Good question but there is a bloke who leaves one at Paddington station. I's say he was late 20s which has got to be at least 10 years over the legal limit surely?

One more question, are BMXs the cycling equivalent of snowblades*? Discuss...

*in that they have a narrow niche where they have a point, but used outside that they make you look like a complete and utter pillock...

J
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    By the way, anyone ride Euston Road/Marylebone Road last night? It was practically stationary traffic all the way from Kings X to the Westway - about 3km.

Called for some very imaginative filtering between the traffic. People in cars must have taken an hour.
  • GM, welcome to the thread! Sorry to hear about your incident this morning. At the very least I think it's worth having a work with the police as I'm sure him pushing you could be seen as assault. I don't suppose you got any details of witnesses??

In regards to your messenger tussle I've seen a black guy who I think is a messenger riding a rather laid back cruiser style bike a few times on my way through Brixton and Camberwell and also a few times I London when I've been on foot. Don't think it's the same guy tho as I'm sure this one's bike is red.

This does remind me tho, has anyone seen the messenger in London who's bike is made up like a shark? Saw it chained up near the Gherkin a few times when I was working up near there!

Anyhow quick note on this morning, nothing of particular interest except some tw4t in his Fiesta that used the pavement to avoid a speed hump! Not only this but he used the pavement on the right so he was completely on the wrong side! Thankfully he was ahead of me when he performed this idiotic maneuver Other road users never cease to amaze me with their stupidity! :evil:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    BMXers are outside the zone man...they're a dangerous and feral bunch riding dangerous and feral bikes so beware any interaction...in fact glances over shoulder nervously we should even be careful posting about them here.

Now I'm a broad-minded kind of chap (I read the Guardian once you know), I'm comfotable with my cycxuality...hell I even accept that some people enjoy riding recumbents shudder but I for one forward the motion that we steer well clear of these MBXing pedal-perverts!

Nuff said
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I scapled Max Clifford this morning, what's his FCN? Bearing in mind he was riding a Merc SL500 at the time.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Littigator wrote:
    BMXers are outside the zone man...they're a dangerous and feral bunch riding dangerous and feral bikes so beware any interaction...in fact glances over shoulder nervously we should even be careful posting about them here.

Now I'm a broad-minded kind of chap (I read the Guardian once you know), I'm comfotable with my cycxuality...hell I even accept that some people enjoy riding recumbents shudder but I for one forward the motion that we steer well clear of these MBXing pedal-perverts!

Nuff said

There are exceptions I will make to your generally sound rule and here is my case in point

shanaze-reade2.jpg

Britain needs more pedal perverts like Shanaze!

Well my dengue fever is subsiding and my average speed climbing so it looks like my commute is on the up again but still no one to scalp. I think I got cheered/whistled at in traffic this morning; not sure if it was the sight of the bit of skin between my 3/4bibs and socks or the fact that I managed a 40s trackstand with barely a wobble (record for me!)
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • BMX-ers can be quite speedy actually, I remember they used to give me some trouble on the old commuter.

But anyone who gets passed by one on a faster bike ought to go to their GP and get a prescription for some MTFU tablets.

Was bimbling along and saw two people clearly SCR-ing up ahead, one guy on a specialized and one on a ribble, put the hammer down from a good distance back and caught them! Hurrah! However, by the time I was well past them, I looked in front and had to slow for a red light, so don't know if it's a proper scalp or not.

Then, on the slip up to the roundabout I got knocked sideways by a motorbike! ARRGH! OW! Luckily I bounced off a bus :shock: and didn't fall, because god knows what would have happened - it's a busy stretch of road that. I gave chase, by now noticing a bit of a dead arm, but he accelerated through an amber and got away.

My poor osteopath was ranted at for about 20 minutes when I got there.

Unbelieveable.

Blasted motorbikes...

:evil: :evil: :evil:
  • Thanks Bassjunkie - will give the police a buzz at lunchtime. No didnt get any details of witnesses alas, everyone had gone before i though of it, people were very nice as they rode past though - got a lot of support - solidarity!

on the trackstand front - when i was at blackfriars bridge this morning (eventful commute today!!!), this lady fell off her bike whilst stationary - thing is, she didnt even have SPD's! i had to help her up as she was stuck under the bike with her legs in a tangle. trackstand fail.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    gmillsy wrote:
    Thanks Bassjunkie - will give the police a buzz at lunchtime. No didnt get any details of witnesses alas, everyone had gone before i though of it, people were very nice as they rode past though - got a lot of support - solidarity!

on the trackstand front - when i was at blackfriars bridge this morning (eventful commute today!!!), this lady fell off her bike whilst stationary - thing is, she didnt even have SPD's! i had to help her up as she was stuck under the bike with her legs in a tangle. trackstand fail.

With any luck the police might be able to send a letter of caution to the van driver but I guess that will be the best you can hope for without whitnesses.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone fall off a bike whilst stationary and not clipped in, class! Only Fools and Horses in the wine bar Delboy stylie " just act casual".
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Wrath Rob
    cjcp wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Did he have a team kit on?

Helmet and red and black team kit. Seen him before?
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    LiT, hope yer not too bruised...bikers can be complete wuckfits sometimes, they treat the road like it's some kind of computergame, mind you scooters are worse at that!

As for ladytrackstandfail...how the hell do you fall over when you're not clipped in???
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    LiT - try arnica for the bruising.

When I fell into a bus I thought I was fine, but later my arm came out on a masive bruise almost from wrist to shoulder.
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    LiTs hope you're not too badly injured.

PEOPLE 1st rule of the SCR.... Safety!!!

There is no point not racing if you end up dead or maimed, never let your guard down, just follow the golden rule that "everyone" on the road is a fool and will at any given moment do something completely stupid.

Prime examples today LiT's motorbike moron and unclipedfailingofftrackstand woman.

Sorry for the rant :)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • LiT, forget the arnica, medicine, and other superstition-based hocus pocus. I've got everything you need to know about rehab right here: do nothing about the pain until it goes away.

Works every* time

*except in cases of death. And some other cases.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for your concern people. :D

Luckily I don't bruise too easily, it's still sore, but I'm sure I'll be fine.

If I see that biker again, however, he won't be. :evil:

*disclaimer* clearly I would never actually wreak revenge on a fellow road user, I'm sure he didn't mean to hit me.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    gmillsy wrote:
    Hi all,

first post in SCR, but i've been lurking on the thread for a few months - very much enjoy the tales of scalping and being scalped.

anyway, sorry if this is a "do i have a case" post, but i was wondering if i could have some advice re: an unpleasant incident at vauxhall cross this morning.

Anyway - riding from wandsworth road towards vauxhall, a white van (reg: LE57 FHK) cut into the lane i was riding in, forcing me to brake hard. I knocked on the side of the van to say "i am here". At the second set of lights, i was in the ASL and the white van man drove his van forward to knock the back of my tire. He then got out of his van and approached me in a threatening manner and pushed me twice. I didnt say anything (other than "you nearly knocked me off") and didnt push him back (mainly because i was cr*pping myself). This went on until the other cyclists around told him to move on, and the lights changed so he got back in and drove off.

I was obviously pretty shaken by this - he didnt hit me (aside from the pushing), or anything like that, but i have no doubt that had it not been broad daylight and with loads of people around that he would have probably given me a shoeing.

Given that i got his number plate, and vauxhall must be CCTV'd up to the max, does anyone think it's worth making a formal complaint? i dont really think the guy's behaviour is acceptable - especially getting out of the van to push me. i don't want him to think he can get away with it and the next cyclist he cuts up not be as lucky as i was to get away.

G

this is assault, not sure which variety of assault but it is (perhaps common assault?). You should have taken some witness details. Witness plus plate number would have given the rozzers enough to act. Sounds like a nasty incident though. Glad you are ok.
  • gmillsy wrote:
    Hi all,

G

this is assault, not sure which variety of assault but it is (perhaps common assault?). You should have taken some witness details. Witness plus plate number would have given the rozzers enough to act. Sounds like a nasty incident though. Glad you are ok.

Cheers, yeah i spoke to my housemate earlier who is a policeman and he said the same - apparently it's common assault. Going to the local police station later to fill in a form - massive schoolboy-error on my part not getting witness details - it would also have been better to phone in the incident straight-away too - oh well we live and learn. i'm just thankful it wasnt anymore serious.

If all else fails i might be able to get the guy's address from my housemate and go give him a thrashing with a bike chain :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • Wrath Rob
    Or get your housemate to have a word with him. While in full uniform. Down the police station. Where he may accidentally fall down some stairs

:twisted: