Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Forgot to say - I was so tempted to buy a sit up and beg beauty from the bike shop. No idea what I would have used it for, but it just caught my eye.

Photo doesn't do it any justice - it's beautiful in real life

new bike?
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jen J
    I've just lost all my MTFU points, haven't I? :oops:
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I find that the Giant is just about right to cope with the vagrancies of the road system - ie raised iron work, dropped gullys and the concrete infill on the canal track which is annoyingly about an inch below the normal surface level - it has heavyweight unsprung front forks, a 28/38/48 front ring with 26in MTB type wheels with 35 spokes and Maxxe sem- slick tyres running at 81psi. I think its pretty near the perfect compromise between roadie and MTB 8)

Kudos on your epic ride Jen - if we're making confessions I have thought about buying one of these
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com/6006/Broo ... r=froogle1
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Jen you can only buy one of those if you intend cycling in a skirt, and having a sheepskin cover for the saddle

And a wicker basket, preferably containing home-grown produce.....

And you'd have to start to LTFU :wink:

PS good effort in the rain :D
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • on the other hand imagine the horror for others playing the game.. when you over take them hopefully with straw hat, flowery dress, and a smile?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Heavy rain and 35mph winds forecast for Monday - any other Londoners giving cycling a miss?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    It was fine this morning. Wet, but the wind didn't feel strong.

South West Trains (the remaining option after running in and staying at home) declared that they were running late because, wait for it, here it comes, the rails were slippery. :roll:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I set out at 0728 from the house - it was just starting to drizzle at about 0805. Actually quite a pleasant ride - I'm beginning to get in the swing of things!

I was behind a chap in a hi-viz jacket at some lights near Old Street. He had a helmet light and a backlight, but both were off. I told him that he'd not turned them on, and offered to turn them on for him, but he declined the offer in good humour, saying the jacket made him visible enough. Seemed like a nice chap.

That was the first time I've spoken to another cyclist when out and about.

Baby steps...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I must apologise, I took absolute leave of my senses last week. What was I thinking? Passing a driving test!? Driving to work!? Not cycling all week!?

Well, it did have purpose, the car helped move my belongings (I didn’t have a big enough bag to carry it all on my back while cycling safely), as I have taken a big leap of faith by leaving the slash marked, bullet holed streets of Southern most London, Norbury and moved (in with my girlfriend) to another slightly safer part of Southern most London, Wimbledon! At this point I think it is safe to say that Ladies, you can once again walk into clubs knowing that you won’t need to get a cab from my place in the morning! Tight tops, belt-skirts and heels! Posh, chav, educated or life experienced whatever your broad-stroked-type-cast you are once again safe, no need to fear being helplessly seduced by the sensual lyrics of DonDaddyD, this onetime legendary Alpha-male-top-carnivore-predator has filed his teeth down and put his slippers on.

For those of you who are curious (Jen J I presume), I'm right by the Broadway on one of those roads with town houses and parking permits, so even though I can drive my car its currently sitting on the drive at my parents, which is why the car was thrust upon me in the first place – Daddy wanted it off the drive intended for his big lovely 5 series.

For my troubles I actually have a lovely commute, which I experienced for the first time today. It incorporates the bottom end of the Northern Line. Left out of my house, left at the end of my road, South Wimbledon, Colliers Wood and Tooting Broadway underground stations. It was here, today, that I had my first proper encounter – the two hybrids prior didn’t count – t’was a Giant OCR with those lovely Fulcrum Racing 7’s - if ever I have a hip replacement I want the something to sound like the Fulcrum’s freewheels when I’m making love – (Hey, I said it was safe for ladies to go out again I said nothing about me not being crass and a light shade from vulgar!) I chased OCR from Tooting Broadway to Tooting Bec, where I stopped for lights turning yellow, while he went through – I was on the inside and there were school kids and didn’t want to risk it.

Not much more to report really, traffic at Balham and the lights at Clapham Common (a complex junction) were not working and had rightly been converted into a death trap, it rained heavily along Acre Lane and Cold Harbour Lane and then I was at work. What is promising is my commute is practically two straight roads with some lovely drag strips!

Take this as an announcement that I have new scalping grounds and am planning to establish myself in the coming weeks!

BassjunkieUK, Norbury is yours!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Jen J
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    For those of you who are curious (Jen J I presume), I'm right by the Broadway on one of those roads with town houses and parking permits, so even though I can drive my car its currently sitting on the drive at my parents, which is why the car was thrust upon me in the first place – Daddy wanted it off the drive intended for his big lovely 5 series

You probably live about a street away from me - I used to live on Montague Road, now I'm even closer to South Wimbledon tube - can almost see it from my house.

Welcome to civilisation ;)

(Actually I have a parking space available to rent if you're interested)
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • DonDaddyD
    I find that the Giant is just about right to cope with the vagrancies of the road system - ie raised iron work, dropped gullys and the concrete infill on the canal track which is annoyingly about an inch below the normal surface level - it has heavyweight unsprung front forks, a 28/38/48 front ring with 26in MTB type wheels with 35 spokes and Maxxe sem- slick tyres running at 81psi. I think its pretty near the perfect compromise between roadie and MTB 8)

Kudos on your epic ride Jen - if we're making confessions I have thought about buying one of these
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com/6006/Broo ... r=froogle1

You're talking about the Giant M2 right?

Great bike, I had one for two years, but found it was closer to a MTB than a roadie or a proper hybrid (i.e. Flat bar road bike like a Giant FCR). The M2 is a great small distance (5 - 8mile) urban steed, astonhising acceleration built for darting in and out of traffic, curb mounting and dismounting, the bike is nimble. But distance and distance/speed (large speed over great distances) is where the bike falters and the reason I finally went roadie. What those high-pressured 26inch wheels give in absolute agility it looses comfort over long distances.

Giant acknowledged this with the Escape M and now make the same bike with the option of 700c wheels known as the Escape R range.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Jen J wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    For those of you who are curious (Jen J I presume), I'm right by the Broadway on one of those roads with town houses and parking permits, so even though I can drive my car its currently sitting on the drive at my parents, which is why the car was thrust upon me in the first place – Daddy wanted it off the drive intended for his big lovely 5 series

You probably live about a street away from me - I used to live on Montague Road, now I'm even closer to South Wimbledon tube - can almost see it from my house.

I know Montague road and am very close to it. How can you be any closer to South Wimbledon Train station? In general I'm very close to you if you live near South Wimbledon train station (following BassJunkie's explanation of where he lives - you know the BMW garage yeah, I live near there!).

Your parking space, where? How much? Do you know where the non-permit roads start? Also, do you know where the permit roads with parking meters are?
    Food Chain number = 4

• Jen J
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I know Montague road and am very close to it. How can you be any closer to South Wimbledon Train station? In general I'm very close to you if you live near South Wimbledon train station (following BassJunkie's explanation of where he lives - you know the BMW garage yeah, I live near there!).

Your parking space, where? How much? Do you know where the non-permit roads start? Also, do you know where the permit roads with parking meters are?

I'll PM you rather than tell everyone on here where I live ;)
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Took down 3 roadies today including a supper spinning one I'd not seen before but lost my clean sheet when I got a surprise and another new commuter did me fair and square... I chased him down and got within striking distance but a selfish car decided it was imperitvie to turn left in between us and I had to let him through and watch my scalp sail off.... feck

The car even beeped the cyclist for holding his line... :roll:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Nothing of particular note this morning asides from the odd gusts of wind. Looking at the BBC weather report I was a bit worried, but as I wasn't cycling along the coast I guess I should have expected this!
    I think I picked up a tailwind at a couple of points as I was cruising along with little effort and maintaining a decent speed.
    It started to rain quite hard as I got onto the last road to work so I arrived rather damp. Thankfully I has put on my gillet jacket today which didn't keep me very dry but helped reduce the wind chill!

DDD, I'll take good care of Norbury for you!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    biondino wrote:
    Heavy rain and 35mph winds forecast for Monday - any other Londoners giving cycling a miss?

I hope you MTFU'd.

I got so wet on Saturday, rode from Pimlico to Willesden sot see the missus. Hung all my kit up in her house, only to find that it hadn't dried come Sunday morning, which made for a somewhat soggy journey home.

Screamed abuse at stupid pavement cyclist who decided to use a pedestrian crossing on a green light right in front of me, nearly ploughed straight into the moron.

Fcucking POBs.

Not in a good mood today. :shock:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Rode in this am in heavy rain and high winds to find the bike shed at work half empty - so to my colleagues I say MTFU
  • Jay dubbleU
    DDD - glad to hear you're back on the bike - you're right about the Giant - nippy as fun but I think not for the long distance haul - my commute is around 5 miles so ideal for me - I'll probably change the tyres in the summer as I want to use it for bikepacking in Scotland and the Maxxes have no grip off road
  • Stupidly I set off without a waterproof this morning not having listened to the weather report & looking out the window thinking it's not that bad... Just got heavier and heavier as I went in. Not looking forward to the return journey of the rain keeps up like this.

Although there weren't as many other bikes on the commute as usual strangely all the available street bike spaces near where I work (picaddily circus) were taken this morning though, I'm guessing drinkers from Friday night.

Nothing in the way of SCR to report, one annoying serial RLJ along the way but he was moving so slowly in between times it got very boring.
  • DonDaddyD
    DDD - glad to hear you're back on the bike - you're right about the Giant - nippy as fun but I think not for the long distance haul - my commute is around 5 miles so ideal for me - I'll probably change the tyres in the summer as I want to use it for bikepacking in Scotland and the Maxxes have no grip off road

Hand on my heart; over five miles on a porrly laid, traffic ridden road, you my friend have the best bike in the world!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Well, I failed to MTFU and ride in today, but I had a good excuse!

Set off (by car) from home last night at about 11pm for the slog back to London, and encountered a bl**dy great tree across the lane that leads to the main road from my house. FFS. Tried attaching a rope to it and getting it out of the way, but even the mighty saab was foiled.

Didn't feel calling the farmer was really fair at 11pm, so waited until 8am this morning. Left at 9am, by the time he'd cut the tree in half and moved it, and got to London at 11am. Thought work might be less than impressed if I cycled, so tubed it.

However, I recruited a friend and went for a ride yesterday - we actually decided to ride into wind and then spin round and go back. Managed 18 miles into wind, up and down hills, slogging it out. Not a huge amount of fun, but my god the ride back was fast! :D
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Stupidly I set off without a waterproof this morning not having listened to the weather report & looking out the window thinking it's not that bad... Just got heavier and heavier as I went in. Not looking forward to the return journey of the rain keeps up like this.

Ditto - i thought I had a waterproof at work, turns out I don't. Do have overshoes in the office though. I don't have the excuse re the weather report though, I just set out as my rain radar wasn't pinging...
  • dal105
    dal105 Posts: 31
    Very pleased I didn't wimp out on riding this morning - heavy rain in Guildford meant the whole town was absolutely gridlocked this evening. I spoke to a guy in my car in the car park at work who said he'd been queuing to get out for 20 min! I reckon it would have taken more than 2 hours to do my 6 mile commute in a car. Not much in the way of competition though - filtering for the entire journey so the roadie and mtb i passed don't count.

3654186546_76b76e8851.jpg
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    What a prescient and appropriate cycling jersey available on ebay...
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Nice Jersey Biondino, shame the colours are so ghastly.

So anyway, I'm off up to London for the next three days (leaving after work this evening) on a training course, means I'm off the bike and on the tube for the rest of the week and I can tell you I'm really looking forward to getting a good noseful of Londoner's armpit oh yes!

There is however an upside - I'll be finishing said course on Friday afternoon and have time to kill on Friday evening, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather go than the Morpeth Arms to meet up with you lot. That is assuming that any of you will be there...

...you can make it?...

...can't you?

Hoping to see some of you there.

Attica
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    No bike today as the legs are telling me they need a rest. MTFD mode.

Awesome ride home yesterday though - a gale force tailwind meant I sailed up the hill home more than cycled :lol: There were a few hairy sideways gusts on the couple of exposed bridges I've to cross, but nothing I couldn't handle. The best part however was sailing past the 5 miles of gridlocked traffic on the A6 (Belfast) :lol:

Had a bit of a tussle with a guy on a hybrid+panniers. He pulled up behind me at lights then jumped on the footpath when the filtering got slow. I know this negates his scalp but I'm not letting it go so easily! I filtered on through and caught him again as he hopped back on to the tarmac (saved lots there eh mate?). Around a bend and we're climbing towards a roundabout in different lanes, he's going straight on and I'm going right, again in traffic. He pavement hops again just as my lane clears ahead of me so I put the power on and get to the roundabout before him, just in time to hand him his scalp before he slinks off on the other road in shame. It was close, but I'm counting that one.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Attica wrote:
    Nice Jersey Biondino, shame the colours are so ghastly.

So anyway, I'm off up to London for the next three days (leaving after work this evening) on a training course, means I'm off the bike and on the tube for the rest of the week and I can tell you I'm really looking forward to getting a good noseful of Londoner's armpit oh yes!

There is however an upside - I'll be finishing said course on Friday afternoon and have time to kill on Friday evening, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather go than the Morpeth Arms to meet up with you lot. That is assuming that any of you will be there...

...you can make it?...

...can't you?

Hoping to see some of you there.

Attica

I'd love to but being an unemployed bum these days I rarely get out of bed before 1pm and never on a Friday :wink:

Post your request here http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15010235
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I've now had 2 rather successful commutes :-)
    Last nights was pretty much standard, except for the tw4t driving the Virgin Media van that went the wrong side of a concrete lane divider to perform an illegal right turn in Mitcham. Didn't cut me up or anything as he was about 20 yards ahead of me, it just annoys me that some people can drive illegally in their company vehicles! Unfortunately he was to far ahead and it was dark so I couldn't get a reg plate!

A bit later on in the same ride tho I did get a rather special scalp........I manged to convert someone's car into a convertible! Now this might not seem like anything new as we all pass dozens of cars each day but this one was just ambling down the road when it was clear ahead! I pulled out to the right, put the hammer down and overtook him proper! All this on a nice flat road so I didn't have a gravity assist!

This brings me nicely onto this morning, after having to yell at another cyclist who just came out of a side road without so much as a glance up the road, causing me to swerve to avoid him, I then proceeded to find the rest of my route littered with various other bikes today!
    The crowning one being the roadie in Morden who I scalped as we came out of the one-way system. Having followed him for about 10 yards waiting for a gap I realized that he probably wasn't going to up the speed so I took it upon myself to get round. He looked the part too, short lycra shorts (in this weather! Must have felt real bad being overtaken by some dude in khaki green combat style trousers!), 2 color tyres and race blades! He was also running on Mavic hubs (and rims I suspect) although having said all this I can't remember if he was a shaver........still his scalp is now sitting on the widow sill as it's the first proper one I've managed to claim in a week!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • damage36
    damage36 Posts: 282
    Disaster, utter and total disaster!

The bike ride, was lovely... but I got to my office to get changed and over the course of the last half hour have realised I've forgotten the following...

My lunch
    My wallet
    My shoes!

My boxers :shock:

Going commando. Nice.
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • biondino wrote:
    What a prescient and appropriate cycling jersey available on ebay...

The ideal Christmas gift for anyone you know who happens to be a recent ex-employee of the Saunier Duval squad? :wink:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal