Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    About to head home. Not feeling at all athletic.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    cjcp wrote:

Ermmm

M.
    T.
    F.
    U.

lol

And here is todays report !

Did a total of 20 miles today, This morning I was chasing someone for 5 miles, fianlly passed them as I got to work EXHAUSTED, We were going at it hammer and nails (he was an older guy, shaved, roadie).

Then tonight myself and another commuter were swapping the positions for a good 4 miles before I gave up on the hill before home, Another mile later and I arrived home, I couldnt see and was a wonky cyclest, I belive thats what they call a boink ?

Well im showered and my bag is ready for the morning, Think I will take it easy though lol.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    gb155 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Ermmm

M.
    T.
    F.
    U.

:lol::lol::lol:
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • biondino wrote:
    Am about to head to Crystal Palace rather than Putney. Are there dragons down there? 8.6 miles, google maps tells me. And I bet the road surfaces are crappy.

If i'd read this earlier I would have offered to meet up with you! I live down the road from the CP footie ground!

Roads aren't bad it's just that you normally have to climb a hill to get here!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    If i'd read this earlier I would have offered to meet up with you! I live down the road from the CP footie ground!

CP do not play footie. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    gb155 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Ermmm

M.
    T.
    F.
    U.

lol

B*ugger. Walked straight into that one. :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gb155
    cjcp wrote:
    gb155 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Ermmm

M.
    T.
    F.
    U.

lol

B*ugger. Walked straight into that one. :lol:

Keep making it easy for me lol

Well enjoy your ride, Im off to bed lol

but I do have to get up for 5am, DOH

Be safe everyone

Gaz

• gb155
    cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Agreed :D:D:D:D:D

• cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:

I didn't say I supported them! I'm just un-fortunate enough to live near the ground :-)
    Having said that match days are great for the bike, at least I can park that in the hallway :wink:

Maybe I should have said:

I live down the road from the big Sainsburys next to the big grassy area with white lines all over it! Or like everyone else from around here:

"You know Thornton Heath Tesco?? Yeah, I'm near there!"
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Its been a quiet couple of days for Team Wrath Rob. Work has notched up a gear so 2 later nights meant the usual embankment fun and games has been missing from my life. Yesterdays wet ride home was only interesting for the electric scooter that did me on Lotts road. The rain put paid to any ideas of me putting the hammer down as I like life and hate wet manhole covers.

Tonight I came across a MTB coming away from Vauxhal. I was doing a steady 23 yet he came past me, which identified him as persona non grata. I upped the pace to catch his wheel and watched with interest as our speed slipped from 25 to 24 to 23. I dropped him just after Deathstar Canyon, never to be seen again. Still, even 23 on a MTB is some going so hats to the chap.

Apart from that, all is quiet. Off for some wine tasting tomorrow night so I'll be reminding myself of how bad the tube is on Thursday morning. I need some motivation at the moment as the enjoyment seems to be fading and its starting to get a little hard to garner the motivation for the ride home in the dark.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cjcp
    A quiet night indeed. Didn't see one roadie, only a couple of hybrids. Quite pleasant really - no need to keep looking behind me.

Decided to take a longer route home through Richmond for a bit of variety. Shade under 18 miles/four miles longer than usual.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jen J
    I actually saw 4 cyclists! Unbelievable!

Of course it wasn't actually on my journey home as I never see more than 1 cyclist, usually none, it was when I popped out to the shop later. But they were real-life cyclists! I was so excited to see them that as I was crossing the road I neraly said to the two in the ASL 'I bike to work too'.

Yeah. I'll go get myself a life now...;) :P
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jen J wrote:

Of course it wasn't actually on my journey home as I never see more than 1 cyclist, usually none, it was when I popped out to the shop later. But they were real-life cyclists! I was so excited to see them that as I was crossing the road I neraly said to the two in the ASL 'I bike to work too'.

I think this is quite normal behaviour, on my way in this morning I was paying close attention to all the cyclist going the other way. Much easier then normal as I was sitting in my car in traffic. Spotted plenty of older Cannondale racers as I was going along the main drag from Colliers Wood to Merton to join the A3.

Had a change of plans as far as work goes for the rest of the week so I'm on my long commute to Thames Ditton for the tail end this week so I'll get a much larger hunting ground and have plenty of oppurtunity to try out my new Bikehut long finger gloves, purchased on the way home last night much to the annoyance of wifey, but I'd much rather have a few moans then sore hands that can't work the brakes properly :wink:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Yesterdays wet ride home was only interesting for the electric scooter that did me on Lotts road.
    :shock:

MTFU! :lol:
  • cjcp
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Yesterdays wet ride home was only interesting for the electric scooter that did me on Lotts road.

MTFU! :lol:

:shock: indeed

Rob - if you wish to temporarily retire from The Game while you go through a period of M'ingTFU, perhaps by going to spend some time with Tibetan monks, we'll understand. :wink: :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    It came to me in a flash!

I don't know why I hadn't realised it before but as soon as the connections and evidence were crystallised out in that moment of clarity - I knew it had to be true....

Greg66 (other Greg) is a benefits cheat.

Listen to me here - it has to be the case.

Evidence.

1. Spurious back pain. The classic incapacity benefit - can'r really be disproved - ailment. Every slacker this side of Hadrian's Wall knows how to put on a "bad back" sob story for some wooly liberal GP to sign them off on the sick. Greg66 is just one of a long line of spongers who fein back pain to avoid work.

2. "Work" Greg66 - quite openly admits that he goes to "work" by cycling the embankment at 0900hrs. By which time those of us who have jobs are already at our desks posting on this site. G66 is still smoking fags and browsing the Argos Catalogue at this time whilst his Kids drink blue pop and crisps for breakfast. G66's work involves a full morning in the bookies before some "adult" cinema in a greasy flea pit in soho. It's true.

3. His bikes - nicked - FACT

4. Has he ever bought you a drink? It's a well known fact that G66 is a stranger to the bar (in every sense) his round evasion is well documented. This trait clearly marks him out as a skivver and freeloader of the worst sort.

5. He lives in Basra or some other God awful bullet holed war zone south of the river near Battersea. his council estate is rife with shirkers and put on artists - it's like Oliver Twist down there I tell you, the smell of Gin and Desperation is minging.

You see - it's obvious now isn't it - he's a benefits cheat.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Right, I've warned you lot before....less of this (hock spit!) football talk thankyouverymuch!

Anyhoo, what about this morning's ride. I was less a member of the Embankment peloton and more the Embankment Chaingang! I'm not kidding it was solid bikes all the way. It was like someone had decided to organise an early morning critical mass or somesuchlike.

Anyone else find the same thing?
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Argh. My brain.

I am in the throes of a hangover. Ouch.

Nonetheless, I cycled in this morning, and home from the pub (only about 500 yards) last night. Not much scalping action to report, pasted some guy with a full face helmet and a rucksack on a SS, which was nice.

But I was certainly not firing on all cylinders.

Also, some bloke on a flat bar thing kept coming up behind me as I slowed down for the lights, huffing and puffing like he was giving birth, and drafting me for no good reason.

Prat.

Also, Wrath Rob, scalped by an electric scooter? Ooooooh ouch. :lol:
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I've had no one to SCR for three mornings now...came back from hols on Monday, rested and raring to go, and the roads and cycle track have been empty!
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Chris,

Get yourself down to the Embankment, like Litts said it's bikes all the way. I think as everyone gets hi-vised for winter the effect is greater. In fact I think I'm a little snow blind from the glare of the flouro jackets and humps.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Jen J wrote:

I think that's quite sweet :D

In a slightly nutty way :wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg T wrote:
    Chris,

Get yourself down to the Embankment, like Litts said it's bikes all the way. I think as everyone gets hi-vised for winter the effect is greater. In fact I think I'm a little snow blind from the glare of the flouro jackets and humps.

I do believe Greg66 has some "coloured" glasses he won't be needing :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Not that anyone is interested but I miss SCR... :(

I'm still in retirement/active leave/off season, feck, I even passed my driving test yesterday - hit a curb and everything - its late in my life I know ("you don't need to bloody-well drive around London" is my usual response) but I had a car thrust upon my persons and had no choice but to MOT Tax and Insure it, so I figured I might as well be qualified to use it...

I drove to work yesterday (not at work today) and hated every minute of it but the most painful thing about driving yesterday wasn't sitting in traffic reminiscing over the wind in my hair, the feeling of gears changing below me or finding the perfect gear and perfect cadence for that perfect straight on the way home! What was most painful was watching cyclist filter pass me, all of which looked decent competition had I been on my bike :(

One thing I learned cycling to work and back is a damn site lot quicker, less stressful, less boring and genuinely more fun than driving.

I'm not cycling for the rest of week, but am not at work either. However I'm hoping to have a story of biblical proportions at some point next week!

"You know Thornton Heath Tesco?? Yeah, I'm near there!"

OH! That's where you live! I know it well!
    GregT wrote:

It came to me in a flash!

I don't know why I hadn't realised it before but as soon as the connections and evidence were crystallised out in that moment of clarity - I knew it had to be true....

Greg66 (other Greg) is a benefits cheat.

Listen to me here - it has to be the case.

Evidence.

1. Spurious back pain. The classic incapacity benefit - can'r really be disproved - ailment. Every slacker this side of Hadrian's Wall knows how to put on a "bad back" sob story for some wooly liberal GP to sign them off on the sick. Greg66 is just one of a long line of spongers who fein back pain to avoid work.

2. "Work" Greg66 - quite openly admits that he goes to "work" by cycling the embankment at 0900hrs. By which time those of us who have jobs are already at our desks posting on this site. G66 is still smoking fags and browsing the Argos Catalogue at this time whilst his Kids drink blue pop and crisps for breakfast. G66's work involves a full morning in the bookies before some "adult" cinema in a greasy flea pit in soho. It's true.

3. His bikes - nicked - FACT

4. Has he ever bought you a drink? It's a well known fact that G66 is a stranger to the bar (in every sense) his round evasion is well documented. This trait clearly marks him out as a skivver and freeloader of the worst sort.

5. He lives in Basra or some other God awful bullet holed war zone south of the river near Battersea. his council estate is rife with shirkers and put on artists - it's like Oliver Twist down there I tell you, the smell of Gin and Desperation is minging.

You see - it's obvious now isn't it - he's a benefits cheat.

Harsh.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    was chasing down a fast serial rlj'er roadie last night and I was happily gaining until my water bottle decided to give up on me and throw itself to the mercy of the traffic I stopped to try and retrieve it only to see a lorry roll over it :cry: bugger and I lost the dirty scalp bugger

This morning my legs were knackered and needed a good dose of mtfu... so when I had a cheeky wheel sucking hybrid giving me jip from the off that helped.... to hurt
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm still in retirement/active leave/off season, feck, I even passed my driving test yesterday - hit a curb and everything - its late in my life I know ("you don't need to bloody-well drive around London" is my usual response) but I had a car thrust upon my persons and had no choice but to MOT Tax and Insure it, so I figured I might as well be qualified to use it...

HEATHEN!
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I drove to work yesterday

HEATHEN!
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm not cycling for the rest of week

HEATHEN!

• Jen J
    Hmmm. I get the impression that Jash is not impressed...
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

HEATHEN!
    DonDaddyD wrote:

HEATHEN!
    DonDaddyD wrote:

HEATHEN!

Wow! :shock:

When I repent for my sins of this week, I promise it'll be something akin to "The second coming!"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Jen J wrote:
    Hmmm. I get the impression that Jash is not impressed...

Too effing right! Posting about driving to work?

Why no cycling?

He's not one of us... not any more... something's wrong.

Cast the demon out!

The power of christ compels you! The power of christ compels you!
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

HEATHEN!
    DonDaddyD wrote:

HEATHEN!
    DonDaddyD wrote:

HEATHEN!

:evil: :twisted: :evil: BURN HIM! :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Also as for this "I had a car thrust upon my person" lark, WTF?? If I didn't have a driving license, no need for a car and a strong love of cycling I'd be tempted to sell the car and funnel the takings into a new bike :-) Unlike me you don't need to carry a small army around (and supplies!) with you or do a monthly shop that could easily feed a small village......

Unfortunately it is then that those awful metal boxes come in useful, or for any very long journeys but then I put this down to infrastructure as I'd quite happily cycle from Croydon to Woking IF I had a lovely direct route using a cycle only equivalent of a motorway :-)

As for my location description D3, I always remembered from back when I was at school that EVERYONE who lived in or around Thornton Heath always started describing where they lived using that 24 hour superstore as a point of reference :lol:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    :cry::cry: I'm sorry.... :cry::cry:
    Food Chain number = 4