Silly commuting racing

Comments

• I have an ardent hatred of the drizzly rain, and I don't even wear glasses... It sticks to my eyelashes, slowly soaks through my shoes, but I never think it's serious enough to put on overshoes or a cap.

Stupid drizzle. I'd rather proper rain.
  • As a hairy man with a fossil fuel metabolism, I'm a big fan of the drizzle. The light misting keeps me from overheating.

I overtook some people today and was overtooked by some others. Still find it a bit nerve-wracking to have a proper 180° look behind me - I keep veering into the middle of the road.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Greg66 wrote:
    So frustrating and cause for hope at the same time. It's pretty clearly a mechanical displacement, it's pretty clearly being exacerbated by cycling, and it's (the soft tissue surrounding whatever's displaced) pretty clearly stretched to sh!t and unstable as a result. I *may* have to abandon the bike for a week to let it settle down and drive in. If so, I'll be sure to mow down any SCR-ers I see. Must remember to top up the screen wash.

*** Dispatch ends ***

Does sound like you have core instability. If you can find a decent physio then I would because one week off the bike on its own is not going to do a thing. My sis is a pilates instructor and works on a lot of backs with instability (mostly golfers) and can usually get good results with in a few weeks. I would think you need to be looking at something along these lines otherwise you could do yourself some permanent damage.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • jedster wrote:
    To be honest I reckon running tyres at 120 psi is a bit OTT for commuting, even on a road bike - makes the ride pretty unforgiving and costs you some grip.

I have spec nimbus armadillo 1.5" on my mTB conversion and I like to run them at about 80 psi - still feel quite nippy.

I have 28mm conti ultragators on my crossbike which I like to keep at about 100psi front and 110 psi rear although I have run them at 120psi. I find the improvement in perceived rolling resistance is small and the ride comfort noticeably worse.

J

My 20c front tyre is rated to 160psi :shock: I run it at 140 cos I haven't go the nerve to put 160 in. It is the only size tyre that will fit in the very tight fork.
    <a>road</a>
  • Feltup wrote:

Does sound like you have core instability. If you can find a decent physio then I would because one week off the bike on its own is not going to do a thing. My sis is a pilates instructor and works on a lot of backs with instability (mostly golfers) and can usually get good results with in a few weeks. I would think you need to be looking at something along these lines otherwise you could do yourself some permanent damage.

But Greg doesn't believe in Pilates...
    Greg66 wrote:
    I'm going to my first Pilates class this evening

Pilates. Pah. A fancy name for yoga.

And yoga is merely something practised by people trying to become autosexual.

True story. I read it on the internet. Somewhere.
  • Feltup
    Feltup wrote:

Greg66 wrote:

I didn't believe in Santa Claus but that didn't stop me waking up on Christmas morning to nice stocking full of presents (chocolate pennies mostly). Who cares if you believe in it or not as long as the end result is good!!! :D

For Greg: Pilates and Yoga is very different with Pilates working on core strengths and less on flexibilty. Still if that doesn't float your boat just get yourself down to a physio sooner rather than later.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Feltup
    Ride home last night and as most of you have commented it was drizzling beautifully in that "I'm just going to get you soaked but you won't realise it until it until it is too late to put on your wet weather kit" kind of way. Luckily I thought I would try out my overshoes for the first time and what a result that was. Got home with dry shoes and didn't have to worry about them this morning either, nice.

The roads were still very damp this morning so kept a very keen eye out for metal work. I also overcooked my entry to a roundabout which left me indicating left and locking up my back wheel at the same time, exciting as the car ahead hadn't moved off as inticipated. This led to the back wheel sliding right out to the right and me trying to control it one handed whilst still indicating left for some reason :roll: Numpty! Still was quite pleased with my one handed bike handling skills :D

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266

Gahhhhh! That's a terrible shame that is!!!

Jack%20Sparrow%20Large.jpg
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Feltup wrote:
    Feltup wrote:

Greg66 wrote:

I didn't believe in Santa Claus but that didn't stop me waking up on Christmas morning to nice stocking full of presents (chocolate pennies mostly). Who cares if you believe in it or not as long as the end result is good!!! :D

For Greg: Pilates and Yoga is very different with Pilates working on core strengths and less on flexibilty. Still if that doesn't float your boat just get yourself down to a physio sooner rather than later.

I've been doing pilates now for 3 years, I've got a 6 pack (nearly anyway), my back doesn't ache like it used to every single day and I am a lot more flexible. Pilates is nothing like yoga, I've done both and they are completely different. Pilates is a much more physical workout.

Greg66, please please try pilates it will help like you wouldn't believe. Besides you've got to try something because whatever you are doing at the moment is clearly not working.

Crikey that's the most sensible post I've written in months!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Littigator wrote:
    I've been doing pilates now for 3 years, I've got a 6 pack (nearly anyway), my back doesn't ache like it used to every single day and I am a lot more flexible. Pilates is nothing like yoga, I've done both and they are completely different. Pilates is a much more physical workout.

Greg66, please please try pilates it will help like you wouldn't believe. Besides you've got to try something because whatever you are doing at the moment is clearly not working.

Who are you and what have you done with Litts? :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I prefer bottles :D

notasixer.JPG
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Littigator
    I have subsumed him into my inner core. I am an alien from the Planet Dull in the System of Snore...behold (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

• Littigator wrote:
    I have subsumed him into my inner core. I am an alien from the Planet Dull in the System of Snore...behold (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

More Pilates puns? Poor show, Boring mcAlien...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm a bit worried,

About Greg66.

And the Christmas party...

You see,

It's upstairs,

Can Greg climb stairs?

Or is his back too weak?

I rang the Morpeth,

And they don't have one of these:

large-stairlift.jpg
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Littigator wrote:

it's ok, he's explaing a girls sport... yes I said that.

I've done pilates as part of a class a few years back he's right it is good for core stability and helping girls not pee themselves
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

I've done pilates as part of a class a few years back he's right it is good for core stability and helping girls not pee themselves

Haha! I went to my first class despite Greg's comments, and it was pretty good, I will continue it.

Don't seem to struggle with bladder control though... :shock:
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Oh no, not the bladder control / pilates debate again! :wink:

It is brilliant. If it lost its reputation for helping girls not to pee themselves maybe more blokes would do it.....
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Wed12.jpg

The Morpeth, 28th November. Back Row: Greg66; Front Row: Greg T, Littigator, Bassjunkieuk
  • il_principe
    biondino wrote:
    Wed12.jpg

The Morpeth, 28th November. Back Row: Greg66; Front Row: Greg T, Littigator, Bassjunkieuk

And Biondino on the top...
    :D
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    And Biondino on the top...

I though that had already been identified as Litts...?
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • il_principe
    Not clearly enough for my liking!
  • Littigator
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

How the hell do my pilates classes help girls stop peeing themselves :shock:

• Littigator
    I don' geddit. You lot are confusing me :(

• Today was a pretty wet comutte, I've worked out I need to spend a bit of money on:

1. Some SKS race blades (I got a wet)

2. Some Schwalbe Marathon plus tyres (700 x 25c) (I got another puncture)

Luckely I work part time in a bike shop about 2 minutes from my college so I was able to fix it.

But the main thing was after I rode so hard to catch up with this guy on a racer we stoped at the traffic lights, I checked him out for points (Points mean prizes) and he was in full team kit lycra, spd's, no backpack, coloured sidewall tyres. Then he looked at me and must of saw me trying to count up his FCN becuse he said "ummm..er Actually I'm going this way" and even though he'd blatenly waiting for the lights to change (we'd been waiting at least a minute(we forgot to press the button)(it was on the cycletrack)) he turned left! I missed out on a FCN 2 and I would of left him in my dust if he let me! :( not cool! :(
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Littigator wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

How the hell do my pilates classes help girls stop peeing themselves :shock:

Maybe in your case Litts they worsen the problem....... :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • I caught and scalped a guy on the same FCN as me today. Nothing unusal about that apart from I was carrying three and a bit extra stone in the form of a small child that is my son. And it was up a hill. God, the poor guy must be devestated!
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • I caught and scalped a guy on the same FCN as me today. Nothing unusal about that apart from I was carrying three and a bit extra stone in the form of a small child that is my son. And it was up a hill. God, the poor guy must be devestated!

Nice one! :D
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Am about to head to Crystal Palace rather than Putney. Are there dragons down there? 8.6 miles, google maps tells me. And I bet the road surfaces are crappy.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    biondino wrote:
    Am about to head to Crystal Palace rather than Putney. Are there dragons down there? 8.6 miles, google maps tells me. And I bet the road surfaces are crappy.

Don't do it! They'll never let you leave!
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...