Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Come to think of it, where does a tandem come in the chain?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I guess tandems are classified in the same way as other bikes - roadies,hybrids, but Ive never come across an MTB tandem - two people on the bike but don't forget they are pushing almost twice as much metal - maybe same as other classes but -1 for the weight/power advantage
  • http://www.mtbtandems.com/

There, now you've seen some :P
  • ITBoffin - was a bloke in red & white jersey I think. I was coming out of Hungerford (going west towards Bedwyn), probably about half 12 on Sunday. I was going to try to tackle Ham Hill on the way home, but thought I'd probably not make it home afterward!
    FCN 10
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    ITB - Which one is "The Beast" as that one in your sig block doesn't link to nothing!

All this talk of country lane riding has got me looking further afield for my rides now, I've started looking at the area's of the cycle maps that have less roads and larger gaps between those that are there! At the moment this means heading out towards Biggin Hill/Farnborough etc.

Now all I need to do is find the time........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    How about a unicycle? The ultimate fixie, surely?
    I've toyed occasionally with the idea, and I see a couple of young people (obviously with better balance than I now have) round my way "commuting" to college on one...
    Bit of a stretch for my commute though....
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I guess tandems are classified in the same way as other bikes - roadies,hybrids, but Ive never come across an MTB tandem - two people on the bike but don't forget they are pushing almost twice as much metal - maybe same as other classes but -1 for the weight/power advantage

Nah, I reckon tandems are up with scooters. Anyone that's seen the couple on the tandem on the Embankment would definitely agree that they're effing fast
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Nah, I reckon tandems are up with scooters. Anyone that's seen the couple on the tandem on the Embankment would definitely agree that they're effing fast

I reckon a tandem should count for half it's equivalent solo-piloted bike knoblie MTB tandem would count be a 4/5 and likewise if you should come upon a tandem being ridden solo then I think they are given a 50% penalty, so in the above example I'd give an FCN of 12/13.

I've only ever seen 1 tandem in London and it was around the Gherkin. Most days it would be with just the gent, who I did see a few times collecting his co-pilot (either g/f or wife......) from one of the offices up near there. Not to sure where they headed after that but I have a vague recollection of going past them heading towards London Bridge :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • R34PER
    R34PER Posts: 193
    the tandem i had a go on was rapid. it was mtb style and much better to ride quick than slow. i passed an old couple on a tandem the week before last. didnt count as a scalp though as they were just on a leisurely tootle down the road...no contest.
  • Its cold and it was uneventful this morning.

I didnt cycle at all this weekend which isnt surprising given the weather, but I felt like I had been off the bike for months this morning. It almost felt like I was bag on the tabs (im not - 3 weeks and counting). Arthur Seat will be tough tonight...
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Felt like I was on a right flyer this morning :twisted:

Unfortunately I didn't get a so much as a sniff of competition until I hit South Lambeth Road.
    It looked like clear sailing and I was rather disappointed as this was my last chance to claim some scalps for the first time in over a week (due to needing to use the car for work). I arrived at the lights and only had to wait a few seconds before they changed, I powered across the junction from Stockwell Road and could just spy a few high-vis jackets ahead.
    I started spinning up and could make out even more! I felt like a cheetah chasing down a herd of helpless zebras :lol:
    Two claimed before the first lights, then 2 more before the next set, as I was approaching the last group of 3 I saw my prize, a drop bar bike! Finally some worthy competition.
    I manged to get alongside him before the second to last set of lights but got he got ahead by filtering up the inside of the bus. He then RLJ at Vauxhall Cross to get onto the shared bike/ped path on the crossing island.

The cycle comp confirmed my suspicions. 17.2mph average for the 7 mile journey.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    tried a new route to avoid the tunnel today... It's faster and there's more people to overtake... score

only a girl on a focus of any note... too easy.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    ITB - Which one is "The Beast" as that one in your sig block doesn't link to nothing!.

erm! yes well spotted here you go and yes that's a basket as well :wink:
    56380b51a0774680aac661bc08e38905.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • My bike's at Liverpool street.. I am not.

So I'm going over there to get it tonight, and will probably head along the embankment back to Ealing.

Look out for a girl on a FG with long hair in a black jacket, red lights in spokes....

In fact, look out for a black blur, flying past you.

Had a day off the bike yesterday after my 35 mile errand on saturday, feeling very rested...

:twisted:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    pigeon42 wrote:
    ITBoffin - was a bloke in red & white jersey I think. I was coming out of Hungerford (going west towards Bedwyn), probably about half 12 on Sunday. I was going to try to tackle Ham Hill on the way home, but thought I'd probably not make it home afterward!

Not me then I was out that way in those very colours and at that time but on Sat. :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Well, today was not a good day. Apart from being cold, which my man-flu ridden lungs object to, I forgot my rucksack so had to return to Chez Rob to get it, then coming up to Vauxhal I stopped at the 2nd to last lights before getting to the main junction, set off again and noticed my front tyre was as flat as a pancake :(

I've taken the Specialized puncture-proof tyres off to go on the new bike (not ready until next week) and put the fast tyres back on so I was very miffed to have a puncture all of 15 minutes into the ride. At least that put me in a good frame of mind to deal with the SS at Vauxhal that decided he was faster than everyone else and so pushed to the front, crossed the ped crossing and then got in my way when the lights changed as he wasn't all that quick at getting his cranks turning. I kept my speed up until we hit traffic but I didn't see him again. His scalp is now sitting in the pile by the comapy cycle rack :twisted:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    No Scalps this morning but what a lovely ride until I nearly got scalped myself......

by a trucks wingmirror..........my shorts nearly needed a wash it was so close :oops:
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Right knee FUBARed after yesterday's exertions in Hyde Park, so took things easy-ish today. Couldn't go to sleep though as I had club shorts on and bascially had a big target on my back.

Also, a useful reminder of why it's not good to draft on the commute today. Overtake a roadie on the eastbound stretch up to Albert Bridge. He gets my back wheel. I wave for him to go by, but he doesn't. The lights at the bridge go red as we approach and I need to brake. He inevitably brakes later, I hear the screech of brakes, a "whoaaaaa" and he takes evasive action to pull out around me. He acknowledges he didn't see and I politely ask him not to draft me, so he doesn't.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    My bike's at Liverpool street.. I am not.

So I'm going over there to get it tonight, and will probably head along the embankment back to Ealing.

Look out for a girl on a FG with long hair in a black jacket, red lights in spokes....

Had a day off the bike yesterday after my 35 mile errand on saturday, feeling very rested...

Might see you on my way this eve then, I'm taking the embankment to play...sport :wink:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:

Might see you on my way this eve then, I'm taking the embankment to play...sport :wink:

Excellent! And what sport would that be?? :wink::D
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Gah! 1 hour to go and time seems to be standing still..........
    Why is it always the days at work when your off the next day that are the least eventful and longest??

Just hoping I find some more competition on the way home........ :twisted:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    edited October 2008
    http://www.mtbtandems.com/

Thanks for that - I can die happy :D - nearly got my first pedestrian today - stepped out about 2m in front of me - apparently blind and deaf :x - and now with tyre marks across his toes :)
  • Bassjunkieuk
    http://www.mtbtandems.com/

Thanks for that - I can die happy :D - nearly got my first pedestrian today - stepped out about 2m in front of me - apparently blind and deaf :x

The DaVinci one on there looks good, allows the captain and stoker to pedal independently which could be good for riders are differing abilities, now if I only had $7K to spare.........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Sorry I couldn't make the drinkypoos on Friday, I came back from Italy, and headed straight for the Twickenham Beer Festival :D

A busy working week this week means it will be a miracle if I get to see my bikes let alone ride them :(

Ho hum, happy commuting
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Argh! I'm really upset! Credit crunch stricken World withdrawing a Membership/Business Development role I was ideal for. The FOOLS do they not know what they have passed up! F8ckers.

Tonight's journey I swear I'm going to take it out on my cranks, wage war on the World!

"What? No! That's not me going forward thats my wheels pushing the World backwards!" :twisted:

At the end of it all I'm going to be screaming

"Who else wants some!"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Argh! I'm really upset! Credit crunch stricken World withdrawing a Membership/Business Development role I was ideal for. The FOOLS do they not know what they have passed up! F8ckers.

Tonight's journey I swear I'm going to take it out on my cranks, wage war on the World!

"What? No! That's not me going forward thats my wheels pushing the World backwards!" :twisted:

At the end of it all I'm going to be screaming

"Who else wants some!"

That's the fighting spirit!

Just looked out the window.........hmm getting rather dark! Guess I'll be chasing the red flashing lights on the way home :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:

Excellent! And what sport would that be?? :wink::D

SCR then netball in complete darkness... 6 months of blinking lights and near misses...feck
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    tip toe tip toe tip toe

THHUUUUUUURRRRPPPPPP!!!!

one-really-ugly-man-6f8.jpg

aHHHHHA HA HAAA HAA HAAAAAA

runs away giggling maniacally
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Anyone know who this Littigator chap is? Name rings a bell, just can't place it. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    ha....actually I'd already run away so I#' not even here to read your post...so....oh errrrr

ahem I'll get me coat!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6